Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 12-31-2019   #41
Guth
Observational Documenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
This shot is likely my favourite of 2019, and was used as the postcard image for the latest exhibition of 'Mapping the West' that was held in Baltimore last month. This is Jay Hill on part of his large farm in west Texas. He is checking out the alfalfa, as he and his crew were planning on harvesting it later that evening.
Such a striking image, where in West Texas was it taken?

Old 12-31-2019   #42
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
Such a striking image, where in West Texas was it taken?
Dell City, between El Paso and Carlsbad.

Flickr Albums: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

Check Out Our Latest Work On Our Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/

Old 12-31-2019   #43
helenhill
mod chasing light

ADORE these 2 portraits

[quote=sailor;2932135]This is a photo of Boris, a Jack Russell terrier belonging to our German friend Waltraud who has lived in Scotland for many years. I printed a copy of this and framed it up as a surprise Christmas present for Waltraud. Sadly, a couple of days before Christmas, Boris collapsed after his usual morning walk. He was rushed to the vet but nothing could be done and he was put to sleep. I worried what Waltraud's reaction would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
I took this about two weeks ago. I think I captured a special moment between the mother-to-be and her child-to-be. 4x5 Crown Graphic, 135mm lens, Tri-X.

Jim B.
Such a Beautiful Portrait of a Mother, A child, Life to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
This nine year old wearing adult like clothing caught my eye.

What a sweet portrait, innocence and curiosity at play, Lovely!

Old 12-31-2019   #44
helenhill
mod chasing light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
This is a photo of Boris, a Jack Russell terrier belonging to our German friend Waltraud who has lived in Scotland for many years. I printed a copy of this and framed it up as a surprise Christmas present for Waltraud. Sadly, a couple of days before Christmas, Boris collapsed after his usual morning walk. He was rushed to the vet but nothing could be done and he was put to sleep. I worried what Waltraud's reaction would be when she opened her gift on Christmas morning. She phoned to say that many tears had been shed but it was the best Christmas present she could have received as it beautifully captured Boris's personality. For this reason it is my favourite photo of 2019.

Boris by Elmer Duck, on Flickr
Bitter Sweet story ... so Sorry to hear of his passing but your Portrait for your friend eill be cherished forever !

Old 12-31-2019   #45
helenhill
mod chasing light

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I enjoyed a lot our trip in Europe last summer. Using the Zeiss Hologon 16mm/8 was special for me. This image of red flowers in some field in Denmark reminds me of the good times traveling with my family and having with us on the tour, Robert and Simo.

M8 with 16/8 Hologon.

Wonderful Raid !
landscape , Nature, being carefree at it’s best , made me Smile and drink of nature ... Thank You !

Old 12-31-2019   #46
helenhill
mod chasing light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlehrman View Post
Because it was shot with an M5 purchased from a beloved rff member, and I was hoping some of the magic would rub off.

Ilford Pan-F
You always do Great be it with Film or Digital.... I do enjoy your Photos !
the Mojo is Working !
one day I want her back

mystery, childhood, and playing ... Yum to that and Ilfird Pan F ! have notshotthat in a long time

Old 12-31-2019   #47
kxl
Social Documentary

I've always liked outdoor portraits but I especially like this one, taken in Chiang Mai last month (November), because she was such an interesting subject. I used this photo to start a W/NW thread a few weeks ago.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 12-31-2019   #48
helenhill
mod chasing light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy View Post
My oldest daughter got accepted by the Norwegian National opera and ballet as a dancer this year, so many hours and years of training, disiplin and hard work finally paid off for her. I´m so proud of her, this is a photo from the premiere in the opera.

X-pro2 and 23mm
wow, what a fantastic story and way tostart a NewYear !
such a Blessing to you both ...

Old 12-31-2019   #49
Deardorff38

My favourite of 2019. My good friend Ward & his sidekick Carma outside his home in Taos. Rolleiflex, FP4. print on Foma variant iii.
IMG_9124 (1) by , on Flickr

Old 12-31-2019   #50
steve kessel
steve kessel

We were playing hide and seek. I was meant to find them but she had other ideas. In the excitement I underexposed about 2 stops.

Old 12-31-2019   #51
shawn

This is probably my favorite....

...due to being a twist on one of my all time favorites from 8 years ago.

Also interesting to think about the changes between the two shots. Top was A7RII w/ 50mm 0.95 Canon Dream lens using flash as fill, bottom was D700 w/ 500mm F4P natural lighting.

Shawn

Old 12-31-2019   #52
Axel

That simple view from my garden.
It didn´t appear a second time.

Unique moments are all around...

Just live and take photos as long as possible.
Happy new year to all!

Old 12-31-2019   #53
farlymac
PF McFarland

This is in relation to something I had been missing for a long time since moving into a second floor apartment. I lacked having a little piece of ground to plant on, so I moved the ground to my balcony.

Sakura by P F McFarland, on Flickr

It was just so satisfying to go out in the morning and evening to water the plants, check on their progress, and harvest the ready fruits. And to get this image of my future salad fixings.

PF

Old 12-31-2019   #54
ChipMcD

Untitled by Chip McDaniel, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure I've posted this in other threads, but I think I like this one the best of my 2019 Flickr-published photos.

Old 12-31-2019   #55
markjwyatt

It is very difficult to pick "a favorite", but I will go with this one. I was shooting B&W during the super-bloom event in Southern California, and captured this while exploring some flower colored hills.

horse by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2020   #56
Richard G

I saw these two approach and took a couple of shots, but this shot after I passed them worked best. They had seemed an unusual pairing, the one so measured and controlled, revealing more in the hands behind her back, and from behind their union made more sense, the stripes, the lock-step. I had a 28mm lens and had to include the feet of course. It was taken without framing, from chest height. It has the indispensable element of luck but I think I did enough to earn it.

Old 01-01-2020   #57
sara

Tbh, I didn't take a lot of photos this year.
Having said that, I just sent a roll to dev and have 2 more rolls (nearly done!) to send for dev too.

but for now, only this. It was in London.

Old 01-01-2020   #58
JohnWolf

Moments of human connection are among my favorite subjects in photography.

I normally wouldn't intrude, but I was on upper deck of the train wanting to try the 50mm mode on the GR III, and there they were.

Old 01-01-2020   #59
luuca

why?
because it was nice day,
because I suddenly loved the composition,
because it was shot with my "brand new" M3

Old 01-01-2020   #60
cassel

Home... longest I lived in one place for my whole life

Old 01-01-2020   #61
dourbalistar

I've always wanted to try star trails on film, but as a suburbanite, I don't often get shooting opportunities with dark night skies. Past attempts were unsuccessful or thwarted because they coincided with the wrong moon phase. This year, the stars finally aligned (pun intended), and I was able to capture this shot on a birthday backpacking trip to Yosemite. I set up the shot before it got dark, and enjoyed a nice beer by the campfire with my good friend during this 90 minute exposure. Hard to pick a favorite, but this was definitely one of the more satisfying results of the year.

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Ultrafine Xtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2019.10.21 Roll #228-04198-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 01-01-2020   #62
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Wonderful Raid !
landscape , Nature, being carefree at it’s best , made me Smile and drink of nature ... Thank You !
Thank you, Helen. I love being close to Nature.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-01-2020   #63
helenhill
mod chasing light

Certainly not my Best photo of the Year
BUT my Most Cherished ...

the Last photo I ever took of Eric, three days before he got sick...
Taken with my iphone, Not the look of a dying man... still trying to come to terms, grapple With Life without E
*Apologies, Do not want to hijack this Thread **

Just a few days before Eric got sick...
by Helen Hill, on Flickr

Old 01-01-2020   #64
raid
Dad Photographer

I am so sorry for our loss, Helen. May 2020 bring you additional strength to move forward in life.

Old 01-01-2020   #65
chipgreenberg

There's really a lot of excellent work here. I had a good year photographically. Got 6 "keepers." For me a keeper is something I'm willing to frame after I print it. 6 is a lot for me.

I like the way the rear window and light look OOF.

Happy New Years All!

old town window by Chip Greenberg, on Flickr

Old 01-01-2020   #66
lynnb

This has to be my favourite photo of 2019. It's a picture of my wife looking happy, in a cafe next to the ocean close to where we live. It's a very special photo because of what has come before it, and where we are now.

Nearly eleven years ago we experienced a life-transforming event. Our two daughters, then aged 10 and 13 became very ill following an infection. The symptoms were complex but one primary factor was severe, often acute, pain. Neurological problems are another. There are more. Until then they had lived a normal childhood.

Over the years their condition has gradually deteriorated, despite the best efforts of medical professionals, who remain unable to make a definitive diagnosis of cause or conditions. As their care needs increased my wife found it necessary to leave her academic studies - she was obtaining qualifications to become a clinical psychologist - and I had to leave my career of over 30 years, in order to care for them. We now care for them in overlapping shifts 24/7.

Not all days are bad. Sometimes one daughter or the other is well enough to get out of the house with us for short excursions to the shops or a cafe. Perhaps once every two weeks my eldest is able to ride her beloved motorcycle. Often she will ring me to collect her because she is in too much pain to ride the bike home, even if only 10 minutes away.

Both girls were too ill to finish high school. Prior to their illness both were academically bright students. They had high ambitions. Both now suffer memory and learning problems to the extent that it is unlikely they will be able to study again. Of course, we live in hope. But our hearts are filled with sadness. Our daughters missed out on a normal school experience and adolescence, and now they are missing out on life itself.

We are both emotionally and physically exhausted but my wife much more so than me, as she is the one our girls call out for in the night to comfort them and help manage their pain.

There have been no holidays or weekends off these past 10 years. Our only respite together is a short break at one of the local cafes once a day, where we can relax over a coffee for a quarter hour or so. Weather permitting we ride my Vespa, which gives a feeling of freedom.

This picture was taken at the Bower cafe at Manly beach, less than 10 minutes from our house. It's a special place right on the water front. There are usually people and dogs and children everywhere and it's a happy place to be.

It is not often that I see a real, relaxed happy smile on my wife, so this is a picture I treasure.
Flickr

Old 01-01-2020   #67
raid
Dad Photographer

You and Sue are wonderful parents, Lynn.
The chosen image is beautiful.

Old 01-01-2020   #68
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
You and Sue are wonderful parents, Lynn.
The chosen image is beautiful.
Thank you Raid. We do the best we can, and take each day as it comes. The coffee is good, and Sue smiles - and I always bring a camera with me.
Flickr

Old 01-02-2020   #69
analoged

For B&W/Portrait

Leica II, 3.5cm Elmar, 5cm Summar, 13.5cm Hektor, 5cm Sonnar, 13.5cm Sonnar

R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 50mm Summicron, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 180 Elmar, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1

Contax TVS

Old 01-02-2020   #70
analoged

For color

Leica II, 3.5cm Elmar, 5cm Summar, 13.5cm Hektor, 5cm Sonnar, 13.5cm Sonnar

R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 50mm Summicron, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 180 Elmar, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1

Contax TVS

Old 01-02-2020   #71
CharlesDAMorgan

Lynn - thank you for sharing that, I can hardly begin to imagine what you have and continue to experience and I weep for your daughters and their loss. Thank you so much for continuing to share your photos and experiences of the world through your lens. When I see your photos from Manly I think of the carefree existence in the sun, and that I love. My best wishes, for the meagre amount they are worth.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 01-02-2020   #72
LCSmith

Two bikes in front of a townhouse in Greenwich Village. It's all about the light and the textures for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled (96).jpg (30.3 KB, 14 views)

Old 01-02-2020   #73
helenhill
mod chasing light

Dear Lynn

Darling shot of your wife ! Beautiful Smile
have always enjoyed the photos of yours Girls

Had no Idea of their/your situation
My heart breaks to hear of their ill health and You as parents coping, trying to make Life normal and joyous.

Strength,Peace and Love to You all ~

Old 01-02-2020   #74
Bingley

2019 was a satisfying year for me, photographically. My interests are moving more in the direction of landscape photography, and I was able to make repeat visits to areas along the California coast and the coast range south of San Francisco, from Half Moon Bay down to Point Lobos.

Yet my favorite photo of 2019 was a photo of a mother an daughter sharing a quiet moment in Lithia Park in Ashland, Oregon, listening to a man play the cello. I sat down on the bench next to where they were sitting, listened to the cellist, and waited. I think I caught a tender moment. I also like this photo because I was using a Zeiss Sonnar lens from 1943 that was once owned by another member here, LeicaTom. Maybe there was some good karma there...

Listening by bingley0522, on Flickr

FS: Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 01-02-2020   #75
Bingley

Lynn,

That is a wonderful photograph of your wife made even more wonderful by the back story. I had no idea you and your wife were dealing with such hardships. I've always admired your photography, but I see it in a different light now...

Best to you in 2020.

Steve

FS: Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 01-02-2020   #76
Bingley

Dear Helen,

What a wonderful photo of Eric! I see why you will always cherish it. It's been a rough year for you and we all will miss him.

Best wishes to you for a happier 2020.

Steve

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 01-02-2020   #77
volts

Hard to pick just one, but here goes my favourite from 2019.
I think it's my favourite because it came out as I envisioned and it's aligned with the style I've been looking for during the last months, plus I got lucky to stumble upon the right scene.
Hope you all the best for this new year.

Sin título by Joan Quirós, en Flickr

Last edited by volts : 01-02-2020 at 10:20. Reason: Image uploading

Old 01-02-2020   #78
CharlesDAMorgan

Love it volts!

My favourite is my Dartmoor ponies. I stopped for a short walk to finish off a reel of film, clocked a black pony reflected in a pond, but as I got closer this lighter pony trotted up, no doubt for a treat. The black one then started nipping at its heels, finally giving a sharp nip to the neck, prompting the other to flare nostrils and eyes to pop as I hit the shutter.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 01-02-2020   #79
volts

Thanks so much, Charles!
Love the pony expression!

-
Leica M4-P, Zeiss Ikon ZM, Zeiss Planar 50mm ZM, 1969 Leica 90mm Tele-Elmarit, Voigtländer 35mm Color-Skopar
-
Hasselblad 501 C/M, Zeiss Planar 80mm f/2.8

Old 01-02-2020   #80
Steve_Pfost

SUCH A TOUGH QUESTION.

After much thought I think I have to go with this one. I got into a habit of photographing my wife sporadically in the nice morning light, on both film in digital, throughout the years.

One day, months after this was taken I found a roll of undeveloped film at the bottom of my film box. I processed it and out came this photo and a handful of others. It dawned on me only after processing that this photo was taken as she got ready for work the morning my wife's water broke. She called me only hours later , while at work, to tell me the news. The next day we met out first child.

What a feeling it was to see this surprise run across my fingers slicked with foto-flo while I held the roll to the light. There may have been better "moments" captured throughout the year but this one brought back great feeling. Great feeling of why I love shooting film, the surprises that may come from a roll of undeveloped film. And especially feeling of that day in which our lives changed forever.

[IMG]The day her water broke by Steven Pfost, on Flickr[/IMG]