Any Kodak News?
Old 12-11-2019   #1
Ted Striker

Any Kodak News?

Has anyone heard big news about Kodak? I ask because the stock has absolutely rocketed up this week, up +20%! That is a massive move to the upside and for the life of me I can't find any news at all to justify such. The long term trend has been down for several years and the last quarterly report was more of the same, less and less revenue as the business continues to shrink. To pop 20% on no news is VERY strange.

I wonder if a Kodak take over is in the works. Just speculation on my part, but it just defies common sense that the stock would pop 20% on no news. Volume is also very heavy with nearly 1 million shares trading hands compared to a normal day of just 100,000.

I'd love to trade this stock but I don't have the stones to have more than a few shares at any one time.

Old 12-11-2019   #2
css9450

We were just talking (yesterday I think?) about the return of Ektachrome on 120 and 4x5, but I can't imagine that alone could carry them to higher stock prices. Is HHPhoto/Skiff online? He might know some scoop.

Old 12-11-2019   #3
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
We were just talking (yesterday I think?) about the return of Ektachrome on 120 and 4x5, but I can't imagine that alone could carry them to higher stock prices. Is HHPhoto/Skiff online? He might know some scoop.

Yeah I heard that too, but agree, there's no way something like that would move the stock to such an amazing amount. It would be great if sales of Ektachrome were high enough to do that, but that's not realistic at all.

Old 12-11-2019   #4
ptpdprinter

So Kodak is up 20% and still trading under $3 a share. I'd say nothing is happening.

Old 12-11-2019   #5
fiddle

Kodak's Karfunkel acquires over 4.4M common shares
In a regulatory filing, Eastman Kodak director George Karfunkel disclosed the acquisition of 4,437,605 common shares of the company at a price of $2.50 per share on December 3.

Old 12-11-2019   #6
benlees

Seems like a buyback. This could be good or bad. Good: increases share value and could indicate confidence in the future via consolidated control. Or it could mean an attempt to create a short term last hurrah (hopefully attracting investment) to boost stock price with further declines expected (but wanting to be avoided) long term.

Old 12-12-2019   #7
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
Kodak's Karfunkel acquires over 4.4M common shares
In a regulatory filing, Eastman Kodak director George Karfunkel disclosed the acquisition of 4,437,605 common shares of the company at a price of $2.50 per share on December 3.

Interesting. Thank you very much.

Old 12-12-2019   #8
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
So Kodak is up 20% and still trading under $3 a share. I'd say nothing is happening.
Kodak has popped an additional 8% today bringing the gain to nearly 30% in the past 2 days.

Old 12-12-2019   #9
fiddle

Sorry, have to agree with ptdprinter.
They are selling off devisions to gain capital. Earnings report for the quarter includes a going concern from within.

Alaris won a patent dispute though! Some liscesing cash flow..

2Q revenue $372m, down $9m y/y
2Q operational Ebitda $9m, down $3m y/y
KODK now sees 2018 operational Ebitda of $55m-$60m
vs its prior forecast of $60m-$70m; the firm cited

Old 12-12-2019   #10
RObert Budding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Kodak has popped an additional 8% today bringing the gain to nearly 30% in the past 2 days.
Yes, you are right that 20% or 30% are huge movements. It's silly to bring the share price up because you still get the pop on total $$$'s invested.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 12-12-2019   #11
markjwyatt

Kodak is doing pretty well, but I suspect it has little to do with film sales (though that did not hurt). One thing recently is they sold off a division and got a nice chunk of cash.

If you read the recent earning's transcript, they barely mentioned film. Most of the discussion was around their printing technologies. Here is the only mention of film I could find,

"We’re going to leverage our Advanced Materials technology in our Core Print and Film business. We will continue to innovate in both areas. "

https://seekingalpha.com/article/430...pt?part=single

Old 12-12-2019   #12
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjwyatt View Post
Kodak is doing pretty well,
Kodak didn't make a profit over the last 12 months.

Old 12-18-2019   #13
Ted Striker

DAMN!!! Kodak popped for another 10% yesterday. That makes 40% increase in the last few weeks. Again on NO NEWS aside from an insider buying some shares.

That does not explain such a massive move to the upside as Kodak's revenue has severely contracted in the past few years and especially the last quarter.

I suspect a takeover is in the works. Insiders are getting in so that they can get huge profits from a takeover.

Old 12-19-2019   #14
Ted Striker

The stampede to the upside continued yesterday with yet another near 10% gain for Kodak shares. That's a 47% in just the past week or so. An astonishing move that really needs an explanation.

What is going on????

Old 12-19-2019   #15
RObert Budding

Quote:
The stampede to the upside continued yesterday with yet another near 10% gain for Kodak shares. That's a 47% in just the past week or so. An astonishing move that really needs an explanation.

What is going on????
Are there any Kodak pension funds left to raid? Or substantial numbers of US jobs to outsource?

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 12-19-2019   #16
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Where are they making film?

Old 12-20-2019   #17
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObert Budding View Post
Are there any Kodak pension funds left to raid? Or substantial numbers of US jobs to outsource?

No and no. Kodak is a pretty small company these days. Just a shell of its former self. Hard to believe but at one time Kodak was in the Dow. Today it almost was de-listed from the NYSE. That's how small they are today.

Old 12-20-2019   #18
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Where are they making film?

Same place they always have been, Rochester NY.

Old 12-20-2019   #19
RObert Budding

Quote:
No and no. Kodak is a pretty small company these days. Just a shell of its former self. Hard to believe but at one time Kodak was in the Dow. Today it almost was de-listed from the NYSE. That's how small they are today.
Wow. Their market cap is only around $150 MM. They could be an acquisition target, but premiums above market are usually far less than 50%.

~ Bob Dylan

Old 12-20-2019   #20
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObert Budding View Post
Wow. Their market cap is only around $150 MM. They could be an acquisition target, but premiums above market are usually far less than 50%.
Yes, that is the only logical reason the stock could be popping so high these past few weeks. I wonder who would want to buy Kodak. Such news won't stay hidden for long.

Old 12-20-2019   #21
RObert Budding

Quote:
Yes, that is the only logical reason the stock could be popping so high these past few weeks. I wonder who would want to buy Kodak. Such news won't stay hidden for long.
There can't be a long list of potential acquirers. Ilford wanting to add color film to their offerings? But surely they are too well run to overpay.

~ Bob Dylan

Old 01-02-2020   #22
Ted Striker

Something is REALLY going on with Kodak. Again, the price of stock is SURGING. Up 30% the past week and 75% the past month. This is a huge move to the upside. I know that there are some large purchases from executives but I still think someone is going to buy Kodak. The business numbers don't justify a near doubling of the stock price is just a few months.

Old 01-06-2020   #23
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Something is REALLY going on with Kodak. Again, the price of stock is SURGING. Up 30% the past week and 75% the past month. This is a huge move to the upside. I know that there are some large purchases from executives but I still think someone is going to buy Kodak. The business numbers don't justify a near doubling of the stock price is just a few months.
Ted,

Thanks for starting this thread. I find it very interesting.

The price moves are mighty big. Something is going on. I tend to agree with you that a buy-out is most likely probable. The insider trading also supports this.

Cal

Old 01-06-2020   #24
DanskDynamit

stock prices has been going DOWN since new years. The bubble has burst.

Old 01-06-2020   #25
Saul
fighting inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
Look at the longer year-to-year trend, it's the Grand Tetons in a graph.

Old 01-06-2020   #26
Ted Striker

Quote:

A couple days do not make a trend.

Old 01-06-2020   #27
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Ted,

I agree. Something big is happening. These are big moves. Expanding the charts does not lie.

Cal

Old 01-08-2020   #28
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Has anyone heard big news about Kodak? I ask because the stock has absolutely rocketed up this week, up +20%! That is a massive move to the upside
Quote:
As I said, after a week the stocks are falling 30%, do you like this trend Ted? looks like a week is enough to call it a massive move up, here you have a massive move down.
its good you guys (calzone and saul) are not traders

Old 01-08-2020   #29
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
As I said, after a week the stocks are falling 30%, do you like this trend Ted? looks like a week is enough to call it a massive move up, here you have a massive move down.
its good you guys (calzone and saul) are not traders
Dan,

Not currently trading, but back in 2004-2007 I did mighty well trading oil stocks with all the volatility back then. This was in a margin account so basically the only difference between me and a hedge fund was one zero, where they used 30 to one leverage, and I was limited to only 3 to one leverage.

I sold and closed my positions when oil first hit $135.00 a barrel. Later that afternoon it blew a top at $147.00 and it was "look out below."

Look up "Regression to the mean" and "pivot point analysis." These two fundamental principles made me a lot of money. Simple math.

BTW I was more of a position and swing trader because of taxes. My capitol gains were kinda big.

Cal

Old 01-08-2020   #30
valdas

Quote:
Well in the 6 days since the last post in this thread, the bottom has fallen out of the market for Kodak. In the last trailing month Kodak stock has plunged -36%. It has trended down every single day the past week. I've searched hard to find news that might explain this plunge in share value but come up empty. Short sellers are moving in strong and that will only continue to drive down the stock price.
Ted, have you figured out the answer to your previous question about the Kodak share price plunge? Maybe current rise has the same answer?

Old 01-08-2020   #31
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
Ted, have you figured out the answer to your previous question about the Kodak share price plunge? Maybe current rise has the same answer?

I have no inside information to Kodak and because of that, I dont trade the stock.

That said, I pocketed a quick $500 trading on my iPhone this morning.

Old 01-08-2020   #32
valdas

Quote:
I have no inside information to Kodak and because of that, I dont trade the stock.
Nobody with the possession of inside information (material and nonpublic) should be involved in any trading activities - that would be a crime. I was not suggesting that. Not all significant share price movements are explained by existing or upcoming material events (such as M&A activities) or company performance and fundamentals in their financial statements. Ever heard or "random walk theory"?

Old 01-08-2020   #33
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
Nobody with the possession of inside information (material and nonpublic) should be involved in any trading activities - that would be a crime. I was not suggesting that. Not all significant share price movements are explained by existing or upcoming material events (such as M&A activities) or company performance and fundamentals in their financial statements. Ever heard or "random walk theory"?

My retirement money trades under the random walk theory. My day trading money trades under my direction.

Old 01-08-2020   #34
Ronald M

Pump and dump. I.e. keep driving the price up and suckers buy in, then sell off what you own.

Oldest scheme going

Old 01-09-2020   #35
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
Pump and dump. I.e. keep driving the price up and suckers buy in, then sell off what you own.

Oldest scheme going
Nonsense. I have been following Kodak's stock for 5 years. Moves like this are exceptionally rare (almost unheard of with Kodak) and have far more meaning than the simple thought you expressed.

Anyone who has any experience trading knows that there is now "sure thing" when it comes to the stock market. The move obvious moves are beyond transparent and are made for suckers. It takes huge money to move a stock price up 30+% in just a few weeks. That's institutional level of money and they are not composed of suckers.

Old 01-09-2020   #36
Saul
fighting inertia

Quote:
That's institutional level of money and they are not composed of suckers.
Most ironic statement of 2020 (so far). The S&P index consistently beats 4/5ths of all money managers. But of course you knew that.

Old 01-10-2020   #37
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post
Most ironic statement of 2020 (so far). The S&P index consistently beats 4/5ths of all money managers. But of course you knew that.
Of course I knew that. 75% of my retirement money is in an S & P 500 index fund.

That does not negate what I said. That a fund manager can't be the S & P does not then place them in the sucker category.