Lomography Price Rises
Old 01-12-2020   #1
Ste_S

Lomography Price Rises

It appears Lomography has raised prices on some (all ?) of its films. 800CN, my current favourite colour film, has gone up by a whopping 37%.

I wonder it this is a knock on effect of Kodak’s price rises ?

Old 01-12-2020   #2
Out to Lunch

It's called 'greed'.

Old 01-12-2020   #3
zuiko85

'Out of stock' anyway. That said, there doesn't seem to be much choice in 800 ISO CN film. Kodak Portra is $11.19 for one 36X roll at B&H and even it is 'out of stock'. The 36X, 3 roll pack of Lomography 800 is still listed at $19.90 but is also 'out of stock' and will no doubt reflect the price increase when it is in stock.

Old 01-12-2020   #4
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
I wonder it this is a knock on effect of Kodakís price rises ?
Yes, it is.
Lomography Color Negative 100, Colour Negative 400 and Colour Negative 800 are made by Eastman Kodak (emulsion and coating).
And Eastman Kodak had to increase prices (just like Fuji in spring 2019) to invest in needed additional converting capacities. Demand for color film has exploded in the last 18 months. Even running film converting in 3-shifts per day is not enough anymore to satisfy demand. Certain films are regularly out of stock at the dealers, because demand surpasses supply.

Cheers, Jan

Old 01-12-2020   #5
zuiko85

This thread made me look at color negative film availability and the results for ISO 400 and 800 are very surprising (to me at least). There just isn’t much available, even in ISO 400. If, as Jan notes, demand has gone up, then Kodak and Fujifilm can price them to whatever the market will tolerate. The danger of that policy is that at a certain point, the high prices will cause the market to go down, perhaps suddenly, leaving Kodak and Fujifilm with unsold, and aging toward expiration date, stock. A volatile market as they say.

Old 01-12-2020   #6
CharlesDAMorgan

I decided a few months back not to bother with colour film and stick to digital. A morning shooting my XH1 just now cost me not a penny to shoot and develop, as well as no time wasting and malodorous chemical developing.

Now even more reason not to go back!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 01-12-2020   #7
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Well, what doesn't?

I shoot bulk load BW only now.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 01-12-2020   #8
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
This thread made me look at color negative film availability and the results for ISO 400 and 800 are very surprising (to me at least). There just isn’t much available, even in ISO 400. If, as Jan notes, demand has gone up, then Kodak and Fujifilm can price them to whatever the market will tolerate. The danger of that policy is that at a certain point, the high prices will cause the market to go down, perhaps suddenly, leaving Kodak and Fujifilm with unsold, and aging toward expiration date, stock. A volatile market as they say.
Many colour films are stock at B&H, including dubble film bubblegum 200. Maybe Jan is right after all...

Old 01-12-2020   #9
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
I decided a few months back not to bother with colour film and stick to digital. A morning shooting my XH1 just now cost me not a penny to shoot and develop, as well as no time wasting and malodorous chemical developing.

Agree that it is much more convenient to use digital for color. That said, for some folks, the types of cameras that bring them joy only take film. So.....if you really, I mean really really want to take color photographs with your favorite film camera, then, you only have two choices, shoot B&W and hand color the prints, or shoot color negative.

PS, I guess color slides make it three choices.

Old 01-12-2020   #10
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
Many colour films are stock at B&H, including dubble film bubblegum 200. Maybe Jan is right after all...
I was only looking at the non gimmick films. After all, fads come and go.

Old 01-12-2020   #11
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Lomography is run by older bunch now. They are not Austrian students anymore, but people with mortgages, cars and not cheap wine and dine preferences.

Old 01-12-2020   #12
valdas

Quote:
Agree that it is much more convenient to use digital for color. That said, for some folks, the types of cameras that bring them joy only take film. So.....if you really, I mean really really want to take color photographs with your favorite film camera, then, you only have two choices, shoot B&W and hand color the prints, or shoot color negative.

PS, I guess color slides make it three choices.
Plus ECN film - not that expensive in bulk.

Old 01-12-2020   #13
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
It's called 'greed'.
You're right! Raw material costs never rise, as we know from history.

Multiple interviews with people in the industry say that film is underpriced, and that raising film prices is needed to keep the industry alive.

But you're right, it is greed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
Yes, it is.
Lomography Color Negative 100, Colour Negative 400 and Colour Negative 800 are made by Eastman Kodak (emulsion and coating).
And Eastman Kodak had to increase prices (just like Fuji in spring 2019) to invest in needed additional converting capacities. Demand for color film has exploded in the last 18 months. Even running film converting in 3-shifts per day is not enough anymore to satisfy demand. Certain films are regularly out of stock at the dealers, because demand surpasses supply.

Cheers, Jan

I believe what you meant to say is "greed"

Old 01-12-2020   #14
Ste_S

Quote:
This thread made me look at color negative film availability and the results for ISO 400 and 800 are very surprising (to me at least). There just isnít much available, even in ISO 400. If, as Jan notes, demand has gone up, then Kodak and Fujifilm can price them to whatever the market will tolerate. The danger of that policy is that at a certain point, the high prices will cause the market to go down, perhaps suddenly, leaving Kodak and Fujifilm with unsold, and aging toward expiration date, stock. A volatile market as they say.
It's a shame that Kodak and Fuji have taken this route. They've essentially decided that this is the amount of film they're going to make, and just increase prices until demand levels off. It's limiting the growth of film and will turn people off from using it.
It's going to become more of a niche.

The film market (and C41 in particular) desperately needs a new player with new ideas.

Old 01-12-2020   #15
Ste_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Lomography is run by older bunch now. They are not Austrian students anymore, but people with mortgages, cars and not cheap wine and dine preferences.
Chip on your shoulder about Lomography ? By some accounts it appears they're just passing on the price rises that Kodak have given them

Old 01-12-2020   #16
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post

I much prefer the way colour film looks compared to color digital, same thing with B&W.
And with negativelabpro being so good now for conversion, it's fun to do.

We all have our preferences.

I recently stocked up on Fuji C200 - they are selling 3 rolls of 36 for $9.99.
I love this film and highly recommend stashing a bunch before they start jacking the price on that too.

Old 01-12-2020   #17
agentlossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I much prefer the way colour film looks compared to color digital, same thing with B&W.

And with negativelabpro being so good now for conversion, it's fun to do.

We all have our preferences.

I recently stocked up on Fuji C200 - they are selling 3 rolls of 36 for $9.99.

I love this film and highly recommend stashing a bunch before they start jacking the price on that too.
Amazon is selling 20 rolls of 24-exp C200 for $50. That's a deal!

Old 01-12-2020   #18
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
It's a shame that Kodak and Fuji have taken this route. They've essentially decided that this is the amount of film they're going to make, and just increase prices until demand levels off. It's limiting the growth of film and will turn people off from using it.

The film market (and C41 in particular) desperately needs a new player with new ideas.

What are you talking about? I'd love to see you defend your points with something other than anecdotal evidence. "a new player" is highly unlike given the huge investment cost involved in making film, especially color and reversal film. The idea that kodak is raising prices for anything other than to make their business more stable is laughable.

Also, if supply doesn't meet demand, in any industry, they raise prices, that is how supply/demand works.

Old 01-12-2020   #19
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentlossing View Post
Amazon is selling 20 rolls of 24-exp C200 for $50. That's a deal!

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
Cheaper to buy 3x36 for $10.

Amazon's deal gives you 480 exposures for $50

"My" deal gives you 540 exposures for $50.

Plus you save money of developing the film, as you will be developing fewer rolls.

Old 01-13-2020   #20
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
I believe what you meant to say is "greed"
No, not at all.
Because it has nothing to do with that. I know that the recent price increases are necessary for making the film producers fit for the future. It is needed for the new investments in production capacities and highly skilled workforce. And to absorb increasing raw material costs.

Cheers, Jan

Old 01-13-2020   #21
HHPhoto

Quote:
It's a shame that Kodak and Fuji have taken this route.
All manufacturers have taken this route (Ilford has increased prices several times in the last three years, too, by the way).
Because they have to!
New machinery is needed, and that is extremely expensive for such high-tech products like film and photo paper. And new chemists and engineers have to be hired and educated. As the ADOX CEO explained on the Helsinki photo fair, for a Ph.D. in chemistry it needs another five (!) years of additional education in the factory to make him an emulsionist. During this time he costs the company money, lots of it.

Quote:
They've essentially decided that this is the amount of film they're going to make, and just increase prices until demand levels off.
That is completely wrong! All film manufacturers are increasing their production and try to keep up with the strong demand. Kodak and Fuji are already running 3 shift/day film converting, and even despite that the supply is not enough. Therefore they are building additional machinery, and that is very costly.

Quote:
No, it is just the opposite: The market has almost doubled in the last years. And will continue to grow. That is why the film companies invest in new products and production capacities.

Cheers, Jan

Old 01-13-2020   #22
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
No, not at all.
Because it has nothing to do with that. I know that the recent price increases are necessary for making the film producers fit for the future. It is needed for the new investments in production capacities and highly skilled workforce. And to absorb increasing raw material costs.

Cheers, Jan
Jan,

I was being sardonic as the first reply in this thread is "it's called greed" which is just an incorrect reply.

I completely agree with you on all the points you're making. I'm getting sort of sick of the "these companies are greedy" or "they don't want to make film" anything other than "they have to invest in their industry for it to continue into the future"

Old 01-13-2020   #23
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Yes they should live in a box down by the river and walk to work so you can have cheap film.

Iím going to be visiting Lomography in Vienna this May as part of the Metropolis release. They will be showing me around.

Old 01-13-2020   #24
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
Jan,

I was being sardonic as the first reply in this thread is "it's called greed" which is just an incorrect reply.

I completely agree with you on all the points you're making. I'm getting sort of sick of the "these companies are greedy" or "they don't want to make film" anything other than "they have to invest in their industry for it to continue into the future"
Hogarth, o.k., thanks.
I understand.

Cheers, Jan

Old 01-13-2020   #25
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Yes they should live in a box down by the river and walk to work so you can have cheap film.

Iím going to be visiting Lomography in Vienna this May as part of the Metropolis release. They will be showing me around.
Please report from your trip to Vienna when you are back.
And if you want to extend your trip to Germany please let me know .

Cheers, Jan