Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Your best worst photo!
Old 12-13-2019   #1
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
Your best worst photo!

This is for those pics where things went wrong but dumb luck and sheer
flukiness resulted in an image you actually like!

I was testing out this musty folder that a friend gave to me as a gift and there is no way I can luck out like this again.

Kodak Autographic Folder Brownie #2, Ilford Delta 400, crazy light leaks through the 105 year old bellows...

  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019   #2
raydm6
Registered User
 
raydm6's Avatar
 
raydm6 is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Central Massachusetts (USA)
Posts: 563
That is awesome!
__________________
flickriver
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019   #3
Larry Cloetta
Registered User
 
Larry Cloetta is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jackson, WY
Age: 70
Posts: 2,069
That's going to be hard to beat, Huss. I'll pass.
__________________
Larry

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019   #4
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
C’mon Larry that was pure luck! We all have pics that work in spite of our efforts!
Usually it’s lens flare, light leaks, messed up developing etc
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019   #5
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
This is for those pics where things went wrong but dumb luck and sheer
flukiness resulted in an image you actually like!

I was testing out this musty folder that a friend gave to me as a gift and there is no way I can luck out like this again.

Kodak Autographic Folder Brownie #2, Ilford Delta 400, crazy light leaks through the 105 year old bellows...
This could be fun...
Cool photo Huss.

Here's one of my best mistakes. If you have ever shot with a Hasselblad 500C then you probably know that if you are shooting at slow shutter speeds like 1s then you have to hold the shutter button down until the lens shutter closes, otherwise you will close the secondary shutter before the exposure is complete.
Well, I forgot that on this shot. I was shooting expired Agfa APX 25 and this was supposed to be a 1 second exposure, but was probably more like 1/8 second, around 3 stops underexposed. The negative looks almost totally transparent, but the final results were really cool.


Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Hasselblad 500c/m
Carl Zeiss Planar C T* 80/2.8
Agfa APX 25 Expired
Epson V500
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019   #6
sreed2006
Registered User
 
sreed2006's Avatar
 
sreed2006 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 997
Does this count?

What could possibly go wrong? by sreed2006, on Flickr
__________________
Sid

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019   #7
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
This could be fun...
Cool photo Huss.

Here's one of my best mistakes. If you have ever shot with a Hasselblad 500C then you probably know that if you are shooting at slow shutter speeds like 1s then you have to hold the shutter button down until the lens shutter closes, otherwise you will close the secondary shutter before the exposure is complete.
Well, I forgot that on this shot. I was shooting expired Agfa APX 25 and this was supposed to be a 1 second exposure, but was probably more like 1/8 second, around 3 stops underexposed. The negative looks almost totally transparent, but the final results were really cool.


Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Hasselblad 500c/m
Carl Zeiss Planar C T* 80/2.8
Agfa APX 25 Expired
Epson V500
Yeah that’s what I’m talking about! That looks great.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019   #8
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreed2006 View Post
Does this count?

What could possibly go wrong? by sreed2006, on Flickr
Sure! What happened?
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019   #9
sreed2006
Registered User
 
sreed2006's Avatar
 
sreed2006 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Sure! What happened?
First frame on a roll. The film had not been advanced far enough after loading.
__________________
Sid

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019   #10
Larry Cloetta
Registered User
 
Larry Cloetta is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jackson, WY
Age: 70
Posts: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
C’mon Larry that was pure luck! We all have pics that work in spite of our efforts!
Yeah, I know it was luck, but luck is even harder to command than skill.
I’ll see what I can dig up
__________________
Larry

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2019   #11
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno
 
Moto-Uno's Avatar
 
Moto-Uno is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Wet Coast
Posts: 1,723


I have more than a few of these , Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2019   #12
wintoid
Back to film
 
wintoid's Avatar
 
wintoid is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 1,331
My wife didn't really get how to focus a rangefinder, but I loved the result anyway. This is me and my daughter about 12 years ago

Log dance by wintoid entity, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #13
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
Moonscape borealis..

Kodak Autographic Folder Brownie #2, Ilford Delta 400

  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #14
raydm6
Registered User
 
raydm6's Avatar
 
raydm6 is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Central Massachusetts (USA)
Posts: 563
Huss, don't fix that camera! Love it!
__________________
flickriver
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #15
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
Thanks! Before I put film in this lump I checked out the "lens". It is behind the shutter and from the back I could see that it is surrounded by a knurled ring, like a VF eyepiece. So it just unscrews, which I did to clean off gunk that was on it. It still had a sort of film on it no matter what I did so I just put it back in and shot a roll just to see what would happen.
Et voila!

These things can be bought for $10-ish, so if you want an 'art' camera that you have no idea how things would turn out, there ya go!

p.s you may even get lucky (unlucky?) and find one that works properly!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #16
charjohncarter
Registered User
 
charjohncarter's Avatar
 
charjohncarter is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Danville, CA, USA
Posts: 9,035
Slide from 1964 by John Carter, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #17
wpb
Registered User
 
wpb is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 213
Huss wins the award for a camera that takes better pictures when it is broken. Comparing the two photos there is some rhyme and reason to the light strikes, super cool.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #18
css9450
Registered User
 
css9450's Avatar
 
css9450 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpb View Post
Huss wins the award for a camera that takes better pictures when it is broken. Comparing the two photos there is some rhyme and reason to the light strikes, super cool.

Either that, or the Northern Lights in southern California are really fantastic!
__________________
Nikon S2, S3, F, F2, F3, FM2, FA, N90S, D80, D7000, D750, Sony a6000, Canon IIf, Leica CL, Tower type 3, Zorki 4, Vito B, Perkeo II, Rollei 35....
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #19
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Excellent! That has a dreamy ethereal look.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #20
charjohncarter
Registered User
 
charjohncarter's Avatar
 
charjohncarter is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Danville, CA, USA
Posts: 9,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Excellent! That has a dreamy ethereal look.
Thanks, I've held on to this one for 55 years, finally I found a reason to post it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #21
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
The lighting is perfect.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #22
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,946
Sometimes I feel that my worst shots are my best shots.

I called it "Blue Chairs"

Looking down from a vantage point on a table of people in shopping mall cafe. Far too slow shutter speed for the ambient light, unintentional camera movement. Totally blew it. But somehow it works..............well, I think so.

Blue chairs by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Shooting people walking towards me down a narrow side street on a cold and wet day. Somehow produced a complete fail in terms of focus, shutter speed and lighting. But with a little love and care in post I came to love this quite painterly image.

Dark Street by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

More movement, more blur another fail - but it somehow works in terms of recreating the atmosphere of frantic peak hour in a darkening evening.

Evening Rush by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Snap shot of an elderly lady taken through the window of a cafe. Not well focused, blurry, dark, almost none of her face shows and yet it is still one of my most popular images in Flickr. For me it kind of works but is nothing all that special. For the Flickr crowd though, they loved it. Still not totally sure why.

Age and Grace by Life in Shadows, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #23
45govt
Registered User
 
45govt's Avatar
 
45govt is offline
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 92
Hello
Did not like this one at first but it has grown on me.
Olympus RC35 expired Delta 3200 @ 1600
Olympus RC 35 283 expired Delta 3200 at 1600 birds on a pole by Donald Harpold, on Flickr
__________________
Thank You
Don
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #24
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Sometimes I feel that my worst shots are my best shots.

I called it "Blue Chairs"

Looking down from a vantage point on a table of people in shopping mall cafe. Far too slow shutter speed for the ambient light, unintentional camera movement. Totally blew it. But somehow it works..............well, I think so.

Blue chairs by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Shooting people walking towards me down a narrow side street on a cold and wet day. Somehow produced a complete fail in terms of focus, shutter speed and lighting. But with a little love and care in post I came to love this quite painterly image.

Dark Street by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

More movement, more blur another fail - but it somehow works in terms of recreating the atmosphere of frantic peak hour in a darkening evening.

Evening Rush by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Snap shot of an elderly lady taken through the window of a cafe. Not well focused, blurry, dark, almost none of her face shows and yet it is still one of my most popular images in Flickr. For me it kind of works but is nothing all that special. For the Flickr crowd though, they loved it. Still not totally sure why.

Age and Grace by Life in Shadows, on Flickr
I agree they do have an abstract painterly feel. I like how you own it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #25
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45govt View Post
Hello
Did not like this one at first but it has grown on me.
Olympus RC35 expired Delta 3200 @ 1600
Olympus RC 35 283 expired Delta 3200 at 1600 birds on a pole by Donald Harpold, on Flickr
What didn't you like about it, and why did you change your mind?

It's almost like the starkness of the grain is the subject, but the high contrast of the pole with birds competes with it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019   #26
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,946
It sometimes seems that I have more fails than good shots. In fact given the number of photos that I never publish that is actually literally true.

Here is another with accidental camera movement, excessive softness and blur due overly slow shutter speeds and maybe focusing error. But you know what they say: If the world gives you lemons - make lemonade. With a little tweaking in post it made an image I rather like.

Waiting - An Exercise in Shadow, Blur and Grain by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Another one I blew this time not through camera movement. Big flare and reflection off the window could have ruined the shot totally. But I loved the almost Madonna like quality of the woman in blue so persisted. Somehow the reflection works I think by focusing all the attention on her, where it needs to be. More lemons - more lemonade.

Through a glass darkly 10 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

One thing I learned though bitter experience is not to be put off by technical failures. Technically poor images can still turn into really quite nice artistic results. (In which case just pretend that's what you were going for all along )
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2019   #27
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is online now
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,176
These were taken with a $10- flea market Agfa MF folder...w/light leaks and a viewfinder that was so cloudy I could barely see thru it..long exposures...



These were long exposures w/M6..of musician friends of mine...

  Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2019   #28
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.
 
Pál_K's Avatar
 
Pál_K is offline
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Gig Harbor
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
...
I was testing out this musty folder that a friend gave to me as a gift and there is no way I can luck out like this again.
...
A stunning image. It's not all luck: for that photo to be as good as it is, you also had to pick the subject and general composition.

I've got about half a dozen photos that I'd deemed mistakes, but saved them and realized much later that they aren't bad at all. These are old Polaroids and I have no means of posting them.
__________________
"Great photography is about the visual effect upon the viewer, not sharpness." - Stephen Gandy, Cameraquest
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2019   #29
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.
 
Pál_K's Avatar
 
Pál_K is offline
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Gig Harbor
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
... With a little tweaking in post it made an image I rather like.
...
Beautiful photo of a beautiful woman. If the photo were sharp, I don't think it would be as good.
__________________
"Great photography is about the visual effect upon the viewer, not sharpness." - Stephen Gandy, Cameraquest
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2019   #30
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
These were taken with a $10- flea market Agfa MF folder...w/light leaks and a viewfinder that was so cloudy I could barely see thru it..long exposures...



These were long exposures w/M6..of musician friends of mine...

$10? My kinda buy! I really like the second one with the branches and the musician pics.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2019   #31
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
.. If the photo were sharp, I don't think it would be as good.
I think that applies to all the pics here. This ties into that 'sharpness is a bourgeois concept' umm, concept!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2019   #32
madNbad
Registered User
 
madNbad's Avatar
 
madNbad is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 775
For everyone that has developed a roll of film:

[IMG]DSC08281 by Michael DeLuca, on Flickr[/IMG]
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2019   #33
shimokita
白黒
 
shimokita's Avatar
 
shimokita is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Japan, Tokyo
Posts: 879
Woman's 駅伝 (ekiden), January 2017 in Tokyo... a cold and snowy day...
Ekiden is a long-distance multistage relay running race mostly held on roads.



.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2019   #34
dourbalistar
Registered User
 
dourbalistar's Avatar
 
dourbalistar is online now
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,006
I have no idea what happened to this negative. At first, I suspected some issue in my developing process, but none of the other frames on this roll were similarly affected. I also haven't had this happen since, so maybe a random film defect? When I saw it, it made me want to Hulk smash something.

Pentax 6x7, S-M-C Takumar 6x7 200mm f/4, Kodak 400TX, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6 minutes.


2018.05.28 Roll #158-02200-Pano-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr
__________________
I like my lenses sharp as a tank and built like a tack.

flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2019   #35
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
Beautiful photo of a beautiful woman. If the photo were sharp, I don't think it would be as good.
Thank you Pal_K I agree it is better this way. I often find that embracing those so called failures and going with them produces more interesting imagery. Here is another example I just found where there is nothing really sharp about the image due to it being a snap shot in dim conditions with quite long shutter speed but it somehow works by accentuating the low light in the dark laneway in which it was shot. And of course emphasising the movement of the main subjects which are the most blurry.


City Life, City Night, City Lane by Life in Shadows, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2019   #36
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is online now
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
$10? My kinda buy! I really like the second one with the branches and the musician pics.
I like those kind of cams..as you never know what you are going to get photographically!
As well as bargains to buy..
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2019   #37
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimokita View Post
Woman's 駅伝 (ekiden), January 2017 in Tokyo... a cold and snowy day...
Ekiden is a long-distance multistage relay running race mostly held on roads.



.
Nice one. My kind of photo. I like it a lot.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2019   #38
analoged
Registered User
 
analoged's Avatar
 
analoged is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: HNL/TYO
Posts: 413
Best to rewind the film before opening the camera...

__________________
M6, 35mm Pre Asph Lux, 50 Elmar M

Leica II, 3.5cm Elmar, 5cm Summar, 13.5cm Hektor, 5cm Sonnar, 13.5cm Sonnar

R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 50mm Summicron, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 180 Elmar, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1

Contax TVS
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2019   #39
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 2,024
This is a photo that I shot back in 2007, before I had any real knowledge on photography. It was dusk, I was shooting 100 speed film, and had a 28-200mm f4-5.6 zoom. What could go wrong...



Minolta Alpha 303si Super
Tamron 28-200mm
Fujicolor 100
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2019   #40
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno
 
Moto-Uno's Avatar
 
Moto-Uno is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Wet Coast
Posts: 1,723
^ This , Peter

  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 13:33.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.