Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > DIYS Modifications

DIYS Modifications DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

Leica Lens Modifications
Old 12-16-2019   #1
alex.wheatley

Leica Lens Modifications

I know this might be decried as vandalisation and there have been various "franken-leica" post over the years, but I want to share a few of the modifications I have made to my equipment to make them more usable to me, in the hope that other people might have some examples to share of their own.

Here is a 21mm Color Skopar f4 with the googles from a 35mm summaron to give rough framing for 21mm without a viewfinder (I had to make custom cam for this to focus correctly).

A collapsable lens hood for my 90mm tele-elmarit made from bits of other leica hoods.

A 35mm colour skopar modified to focus closer than manufacture (I have done this with quite a few other lenses including a pre-asph 35mm summilux which is probably a very unwise finial decision but means I get the shots I want so worth it in the end - plus the lens is no looker anyway)

Any other tinkerers with examples/inspirations to show?

PC171955.JPG
PC171956.JPG
PC171958.jpg

Old 12-17-2019   #2
WJJ3

Cool. I think goggles on a 21mm that would allow the 35mm frame to cover 21mm FOV is an awesome idea. I wish Cosina would put that on their new COLOR-SKOPAR 21mm F3.5...

Flickr

Old 12-17-2019   #3
alex.wheatley

Thanks Will, I took the idea from Tom Abrahamsson who had done this on a Leica 21mm, it is very effective.

Old 12-17-2019   #4
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.wheatley View Post
Thanks Will, I took the idea from Tom Abrahamsson who had done this on a Leica 21mm, it is very effective.
I remember seeing some info and photos of his 21mm lenses with goggles. Thatís a fantastic idea.

Flickr

Old 12-17-2019   #5
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

When I crunch the numbers I get that the goggle would give just the right FOV for a 25mm lens, within the 35mm frameline. Probably close enough for the 21 as well.

35/50 = 0.7

and

.7 x 35 = 24.5

So it should be ideal with the little 25mm CV lens!

Old 12-17-2019   #6
alex.wheatley

Hi Rob, yes essentially the whole VF is about a 21mm so I use it without framelines - you can't see out side the the frame like you can with an external finder but you can focus and compose which is nice...

Old 12-17-2019   #7
analoged

I always wondered if there was a close focus mod for the 35 pre asph lux!

Leica II, 3.5cm Elmar, 5cm Summar, 13.5cm Hektor, 5cm Sonnar, 13.5cm Sonnar

R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 50mm Summicron, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 180 Elmar, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1

Contax TVS

Old 12-17-2019   #8
mooge

Haven't got around to modifying lenses yet but I did chop up a Canon 7 to fit a Leica M mount and cold shoe on it.

The goggled 21mm is a cool idea - aux finders kind of suck (especially the 12mm finder with tape on it that I'm using). Too bad the Bessa R4s are kind of uncommon / expensive...

Old 12-18-2019   #9
alex.wheatley

Love the M mount Canon I've always wanted to try and make an M mount Pen-F, was it a hard modification to achieve?

For the 35mm the mod is very easy you just need to move the stopper along the barrel, and then it will focus to 0.7m, the hard part is having the courage to drill the barrel!

Old 12-19-2019   #10
mooge

wasn't trivial but was pretty straightforward I think. The only real headscratcher was how to clear the (much larger) diameter of the M mount bayonet - I had to cut the light baffling, modify the linkage for the slow speeds and move the opening curtain pulley. I did a thread on the build somewhere here...

I also bought a Pen with the intention of modifying it- if I recall I figured it would be very difficult to make M mount, can't remember exactly why (something about diameter and FFD, most likely). The camera is still dead and sitting in a drawer under my work bench lol.

Old 12-20-2019   #11
alex.wheatley

Fantastic will hunt it down! Yes the mirror makes life tricky too for anything with a protruding rear element. If you do decide to have a go you will have to post a thread :-)

Old 12-20-2019   #12
Crazy Fedya

I believe rangefinder cam on M lenses goes deeper into the camera than mirror mechanism allows.