Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

NYC Summer of '78
Old 04-27-2018   #1
lynnb

NYC Summer of '78

Interesting slide show in the NYT showing a small selection of 2,924 colour slides taken in NYC parks and gardens in the summer of 1978. The box of slides was only recently re-discovered.

The work was produced by eight NYT photographers - Neal Boenzi, Joyce Dopkeen, D. Gorton, Eddie Hausner, Paul Hosefros, Bob Klein, Larry Morris, and Gary Settle - who had been idled (sic) during an industrial dispute.

An exhibition of prints of selected images will be on show May 3 - June 14 2018 at the Arsenal Gallery in Central Park, 830 Fifth Avenue, near 64th Street.

If the images in the NYT article are representative, this will be a real blast from the past and well worth seeing. No mention of whether the collection will be put online.

- source: NYT
Flickr

Old 04-27-2018   #2
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Thanks! I love stuff like that. Just show the pictures, no preaching about what I am supposed to think about it.

Old 04-28-2018   #3
krötenblender

I would love to see them, but it seems, there is a geofence or something. Neither with Firefox/Linux nor Safari/MacOS I can see the pictures. Only white space with short texts (presumably the image-captions)... Sad. Would love to see them.

Old 04-28-2018   #4
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I could be some the page is playing some software you don't have. It showed ok for me, but it scrolls down and the images present themselves when you are truly ready for them (grasshopper).
Quote:
Originally Posted by krötenblender View Post
I would love to see them, but it seems, there is a geofence or something. Neither with Firefox/Linux nor Safari/MacOS I can see the pictures. Only white space with short texts (presumably the image-captions)... Sad. Would love to see them.

Old 04-28-2018   #5
retinax

Quote:
Can see them here, also in Germany, also on Linux/Firefox.
Great pictures but I'm not in love with the way they are presented here, I think parts are cut off to fit my screen...

I'm with you on this
Old 04-28-2018   #6
Tim Murphy

I'm with you on this

Quote:
Dear Board,

All I get is scrolling text on the left side and picture of a youngster sitting on what I presume to be an abandoned lifeguard stand at an even more abandoned pool?

I would like to see them. I graduated HS in 1978 and I would enjoy seeing how another part of my world lived at the same time.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Old 04-28-2018   #7
froyd

I think that in the US the article requires a subscription to to NYT.

The pictures are indeed nice, and I plan to venture to NY to see the exhibit, but I agree with Retinax that the presentation of the slide-show/article leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 05-02-2018   #8
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
Just show the pictures, no preaching about what I am supposed to think about it.

Doesn't seem like preaching for those of us that were there and lived though it; more like an accurate recounting.
FWIW I graduated from a New York City public high school in 1978.

Chris

Old 05-02-2018   #9
PaulCooper

Bravo, Lyn;
Actually I was there at the time, as a newcomer in my twenties, discovering America for myself. It was a hot Summer, that I remember. It was still few years before I tried photography. My first camera was Canon AE-1, which I took with me hitchhiking to Florida...

Old 05-02-2018   #10
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Chris, I just personally like pictures without commentary, and to make up my own story to go with them. Class of '70.
Did I mention that I love the pictures?
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Doesn't seem like preaching for those of us that were there and lived though it; more like an accurate recounting.
FWIW I graduated from a New York City public high school in 1978.

Chris

Old 05-03-2018   #11
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
Chris, I just personally like pictures without commentary, and to make up my own story to go with them. Class of '70.
Did I mention that I love the pictures?

The words and photos go hand in hand.
If you make up your own stories you won't understand the real story.

BTW which New York City public high school did you attend?

Chris