Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Camera Service Company, Inc., Smyrna, GA?
Old 06-23-2017   #1
dmr
Registered Abuser

Camera Service Company, Inc., Smyrna, GA?

TSIA actually.

Anyone have any experience with this firm?

After being snubbed and quoted outrageous flat rates for service for two older K-mount lenses, I phoned this firm and it seems too good to be true!

They say no charge for estimates (just pay shipping both ways) and they don't flat-rate. Time and material.

The lady who answered the phone did not seem to tune out when "older" and "film" were mentioned.

Any comments good or bad? Seems like close to a no-risk situation.

Old 06-23-2017   #2
PKR

Is this an arm of KEH? Same town.

Old 06-23-2017   #3
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
Is this an arm of KEH? Same town.
Hmmmm ... Curiosity got me. Same area, but different places on the Google map.

Old 06-23-2017   #4
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
Hmmmm ... Curiosity got me. Same area, but different places on the Google map.
Could be former employees? Why don't you call and ask? I know, also, that companies separate by geography for business licensing and tax reasons. Could be the same owners or maybe just one of the partners.

Old 06-23-2017   #5
PaulCooper

I have good results getting service from that place. The owner is a former tech who used to work in Japan for Yashica ($). They're dependable, and I think they fix the camera stuff for KEH...

Old 06-23-2017   #6
x-ray

I purchased a Focomat they had for sale and drove down one day and picked it up.

It's an old company owned by an Asian fellow. He was really busy with a customer and didn't get to talk to him but the company has been there, I think the girl said, 47 years. It's a small shop with several techs at benches, a receptionist girl that takes orders and deals with customers. She was very polite and knowledgeable. There's nothing fancy about the place and it's in an old shopping center next to an Ace hardware. They're an authorized Nikon service center.

The girl said they'd just had a camera tech and strobe repairman retire and they're looking for replacements.

There's no connection to Keh. After visiting I'd have no issue sending equipment to them.

Old 06-23-2017   #7
dmr
Registered Abuser

Thanks gang. I think it's well worth giving them a try. I've got two lenses I both like. One sortakinda works, the other is definitely wonky.

I'll report back.

Old 06-23-2017   #8
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCooper View Post
I have good results getting service from that place. The owner is a former tech who used to work in Japan for Yashica ($). They're dependable, and I think they fix the camera stuff for KEH...
I went by KEH repair a few years ago. They're actually in the same building as KEH. Camera Service at least at that time did not do KEH's repairs. The manager of the KEH repair was a Russian or Eastern European guy.

I don't know how good KEH repair is now since KEH was bought out but they put new shutter blades in a 150 Sonnar Hasselblad lens. They were fast and the cost was $80 as I recall. Now, I don't know. KEH has changed IMO.

Old 06-23-2017   #9
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
I went by KEH repair a few years ago. They're actually in the same building as KEH. Camera Service at least at that time did not do KEH's repairs. The manager of the KEH repair was a Russian or Eastern European guy.

I don't know how good KEH repair is now since KEH was bought out but they put new shutter blades in a 150 Sonnar Hasselblad lens. They were fast and the cost was $80 as I recall. Now, I don't know. KEH has changed IMO.
I liked them a lot better before they changed hands.

Old 06-23-2017   #10
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
I liked them a lot better before they changed hands.
Keh grading changed, customer service changed and prices went up. I did business with them since day one when they were in an old house on Spring St in downtown Atlanta. I'm not impressed with them now.

Highly recommended!
Old 08-02-2017   #11
dmr
Registered Abuser

Highly recommended!

Update: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Just got my lenses back and I am very happy!

The one which I really cared about needed "Just some adjustment" and cost slightly less than $100. This one would not focus to infinity, and now (have not shot anything, just tested on two bodies) it focuses just a hair past infinity when up against the stop. It appears to hold focus quite well through the zoom range.

I've heard horror stories of scratch marks and such after repairs but there are NO discernible marks on it, period! Nice clean and professional repair job.

The other one "Really didn't need anything" and was no charge except for the portion of return shipping. They say they did not do anything to it, but it now clicks very cleanly in and out of macro and focuses properly.

Conclusion: Honest, professional, reasonable, timely!

About three weeks total including shipping. They phoned with the estimate and took the credit card over the phone. They did not seem to "tune out" when I said I had two older K-mount zooms for repair, said they do older film gear all the time.

The bottom line (as in $$$$$) was less than 1/4 of what the local camera shop estimated if they sent them out to the place they send stuff like this to. (Flat rate)

If I need any other work such as this, I'll sure use them again!

Old 08-02-2017   #12
x-ray

I sent them a newly acquired Rolleiflex 3.5F that hadn't been used in fifty years. It's scheduled for delivery at my house today after only 3-1/2 weeks. The cost of a total CLA and shipping $399. I'll post my experience later. I'm optimistic.

Old 08-02-2017   #13
gnuyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
Update: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Just got my lenses back and I am very happy!

The one which I really cared about needed "Just some adjustment" and cost slightly less than $100. This one would not focus to infinity, and now (have not shot anything, just tested on two bodies) it focuses just a hair past infinity when up against the stop. It appears to hold focus quite well through the zoom range.

I've heard horror stories of scratch marks and such after repairs but there are NO discernible marks on it, period! Nice clean and professional repair job.

The other one "Really didn't need anything" and was no charge except for the portion of return shipping. They say they did not do anything to it, but it now clicks very cleanly in and out of macro and focuses properly.

Conclusion: Honest, professional, reasonable, timely!

About three weeks total including shipping. They phoned with the estimate and took the credit card over the phone. They did not seem to "tune out" when I said I had two older K-mount zooms for repair, said they do older film gear all the time.

The bottom line (as in $$$$$) was less than 1/4 of what the local camera shop estimated if they sent them out to the place they send stuff like this to. (Flat rate)

If I need any other work such as this, I'll sure use them again!

Good to know. I don't live too far away from Smyrna. Though I sent my Rolleiflex out to Harry Fleenor 4 months ago. It should be arriving in 2 days. Good to know there is a reputable place nearby for other cameras in the future.

Old 08-02-2017   #14
x-ray

Received my 3.5F back today after only 3-1/2 weeks and very happy with the CLA. I did a test roll and everything is AOK.

Old 08-02-2017   #15
taomei

So just so I'm not confused; this is Mark Hama you're talking about right? He's also located in Marietta, GA and when Paul Cooper starts talking about a Yashica tech bells just started ringing in my head.