Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Are you a man-bag person?
Old 02-06-2013   #1
dave lackey

Are you a man-bag person?

Just having breakfast in front of my computer this morning before heading out for rehab, attorneys, doctors and such. Busy day ahead and I will have one of my bags with the R4 and X1 today. Plus the necessary papers, notebooks, checkbook, phone and other items that will be required today.

I now find myself carrying a bag everyday. I am now an official man-bag carry person. What's more, when I can find a few minutes to chill out, I wind up in the bedroom, trying to rest but I have one of the bags next to me as I pull the gear out, clean it, adjust it, organize it and I feel like Linus in Charlie Brown.

Are you a man-bag person? The rugged wear seems to be my favorite but sometimes nothing but the best will do...the Billingham.

Dave

Old 02-06-2013   #2
thegman

Certainly. Not sure how I lived without one all these years. Book, camera, film, letters, Rennies, I always seem to be carrying something somewhere. Mine is this one:

http://www.viscontibags.co.uk/?do=ca..._no%5D=harvard

Old 02-06-2013   #3
daveleo
what?

Back in my work life, I had a shoulder bag for every mood, mostly of the outdoors hiking type with lots of pockets. These days I always have my small Domke (the tough guy bag) or my small Billingham (the gentleman's bag) on my shoulder, packing my glasses, ereader, phone, pen, notebook, and one camera or another.

My granddaughter still asks me "buy any new manbags lately?"

Old 02-06-2013   #4
gnuyork

I like my Domke satchel very much, and for my laptop I have a Crumpler messenger style bag,.
I am also thinking of getting a Saddleback Leather briefcase (thin), or some alternative to that brand (it's very expensive).

Old 02-06-2013   #5
bjornkeizers

You bet. I've got two Maxpedition shoulder bags, a small 'Fatboy' and a larger Operator Tactical Attache, as well as a 5.11 Rush 24 backpack.

They work great for carrying pens, paper, multitools, sunglasses, first aid kit, knives, flashlight and of course: cameras. the backpack currently has a Minox 35 in the top pocket, a Canon GIII QL17 & Olympus XA 2 in the main pocket, as well a Powershot G12 digital. The other packs usually have at least one SLR in them.

You never know when you might need something. And if I'm bringing a bag, I might as well bring a few useful items.
Pentax Auto 110 - Polaroid 1000 Land Camera & CPII - Fuji Instax Mini 7S - Ricoh FF70 - Olympus XA1, XA2, Mju II - Bronica ETRS - Holga 120 - Diana 120 - Lomo Fisheye 110

Old 02-06-2013   #6
paulfish4570

i don't like 'em when i am actually shooting, but i carry some sort of bag almost daily. jansport backpack with laptop, etc., on substitute teaching days, patagonia minimass on most other days, and a danish army surplus bag on hunting days. always at least one cam in any of 'em. today is a backpack day. cam is my old konica S III, an actual rangefinder ...

Old 02-06-2013   #7
jsrockit

I try not to bring a bag, but there are times when it is sensible. It's all necessity for me, and not fashion.

Old 02-06-2013   #8
bsdunek
Old Guy with a Corgi

I carry my 'briefcase' to work every day, and often one of my camera bags. Of course, either one could have many various items in it. NEVER a 'Man Purse' like my Brother in Law carries.

My Gallery
Bruce
Don't take my Kodachrome away!
OOOPS! Kodak did!!!

Old 02-06-2013   #9
kanzlr
Hexaneur

I almost always carry this € 10,-- black German "Bundeswehr Kampftasche mitte", a cotton bag that is small, but still holds a lot. Usually there is an M4 + 50 Summicron in there, in a LowePro wrap in there, next to scarf, paper notebook, cookies and a beer

http://www.army-nato-shop.de/shop/94...tellbarem.html

Old 02-06-2013   #10
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Dave,

I wear a Louis Vuitton leather bag from their "Utah" series. Cost almost as much as a months rent for a Madhattan luxury apartment. Even if I am only carrying one camera, I need a bag to carry lots of film when I shoot. Although a luxury bag, its kinda low profile and not in your face.

Part of this lifestyle is that over the years I have culled down possessions to the minimum, but the stuff I keep is built to last and is of the highest quality I can buy. The leather is mucho soft and now the bag is worn in a bit developing a wonderful patina.

This bag has become part of me, and its like wearing an expensive watch where after a while you would feel naked without it.

Cal

Old 02-06-2013   #11
Cold

In my day to day? No.

If I'm out enjoying one of my hobbies? Usually, though perhaps not in the traditional 'man-bag' style.

I'll use a dedicated camera bag when I'm out specifically to take pictures, and when enjoying my other hobby, fly fishing, I've gotten away from a typical vest in recent years and gone to a 'sling bag', similar to the LowePro slingshots...that's kind of a backpack/man-bag hybrid.

Old 02-06-2013   #12
menthel
Not very good...

I have a courierware bag I use everyday. Work, photography etc. I fully customised the internals for all the nooks and crannies I needed and it works perfectly. Also looks very nondescript, even with the camera insert in place.

Old 02-06-2013   #13
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

Dave,

To answer your question: yes.

Everyday I have one of my smaller Domke's with me that acts not only to carry a camera (either the X-Pro1 or my M7 or, on occasion my Rollei) but also to carry my wallet, phone, etc. etc. etc.)

Cheers,
Dave

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

ITS THE MAGIC I SEE IN THE Light, Texture, & Tone
that Intoxicates Me - Helen Hill

My Flickr - it's where I post my RF and P&S shtuff

Old 02-06-2013   #14
Lawrence Sheperd

I carry a briefcase. It is soft-sided. It happens to have a shoulder strap - I wear it over my shoulder.

So......ahh.....yeah....I carry a manbag...

Larry

Old 02-06-2013   #15
paulfish4570

i tried on a maxpedition versipack this past weekend. i am not a fan of velcro and zippers, but this thing fit me like i was born with it. it is way "tactical" looking but would be a fantastic, active shooter's bag. hey, no one has to know you're toting photo gear rather than a colt 1911 ...
here's a link:
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...ection-c65.htm

Old 02-06-2013   #16
daveleo
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfish4570 View Post
i tried on a maxpedition versipack this past weekend. i am not a fan of velcro and zippers, but this thing fit me like i was born with it. it is way "tactical" looking but would be a fantastic, active shooter's bag. hey, no one has to know you're toting photo gear rather than a coly 1911 ...
here's a link:
their 'gearslinger" series looks wicked nice !

Old 02-06-2013   #17
willie_901

Photography converted me from a laptop case person to a man-bag person.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-06-2013   #18
zuiko85

I'm more of a 'cargo pocket' person. Haven't found a man bag that I liked and could afford at the same time. For winter I have a coat with those big cargo pockets and summer is a vest. The thing is I never carry a laptop or notebook computer (or any other electronic device) except for a plain cheap tracfone sometimes. Don't even own those devices. I post here on my wife's laptop. I never leave the apartment without a camera on my person or very close at hand. If nothing else then at least a Minolta 16II. Usually though I prefer one of my Oly Pen VF type half frame cameras.

If I must take a bag then I have a couple of small cheap bags to chose from. I load the bag and if the kit weighs over 6 lbs exclusive of bag weight then something has to go.

Last edited by zuiko85 : 02-06-2013 at 06:31. Reason: correction

Old 02-06-2013   #19
maggieo
More Deadly

No, I carry a purse. Why would I carry a scrotum? That's what a man-bag is, right?

Old 02-06-2013   #20
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

I always have a bag with me, but it's not a man-bag, girls can carry a Domke also

Old 02-06-2013   #21
--s
-

just think of Ludo- he´s a Bagman!

Old 02-06-2013   #22
alienmeatsack

I'm a bag person usually as well. I have quite a few to fit my day to day needs/wants. I tend to lean towards messenger and backpack style bags. And I mostly own Timbuk2 bags.

I keep pens, notebooks, Sugru, mints, snacks, business cards, stickers and other assorted stuff in all of them so I can pick up which ever one suits that days needs and put my gear in and go. Then I know I have all the misc stuff with me regardless.

The one purpose I have yet to find happiness in a bag in is for my camera stuff. I have several camera bags, but none really do what I want the way I want. I have inserts and dedicated bags just for that. None fit the bill.

We need some kind of "borrow a bag" system where we can try the assorted bags out there for a few weeks then return to the collective. Once we decide, we can then purchase a new one in our chosen color. lol

Old 02-06-2013   #23
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I need to carry more junk than I have pockets for, or want to put in my pockets. So I use a shoulder bag. One of several available...

Bagmelda

Old 02-06-2013   #24
rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfish4570 View Post
i tried on a maxpedition versipack this past weekend. i am not a fan of velcro and zippers, but this thing fit me like i was born with it. it is way "tactical" looking but would be a fantastic, active shooter's bag. hey, no one has to know you're toting photo gear rather than a coly 1911 ...
here's a link:
A 1911 is nice too though, and has it's own section in the Maxpedition. I have considered getting a Versipack myself. I haven't yet though.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-06-2013   #25
back alley
IMAGES

i have used a bag of some sort for many years now...always have a camera with me so i need something...usually have my phone plus an ipad mini as well.

i would love a beautiful black leather bag but have not found the right combo of size, style and price yet.

Old 02-06-2013   #26
majid
Fazal Majid

Yes, I have a plethora of bags I rottate through depending on the circumstances of the day, but I can also do without a bag because I usually wear a Scottevest jacket with 26 pockets for everything including an iPad and Fuji X100.

Old 02-06-2013   #27
Marc G.
film loving student

as a student carrying a bag is just the usual thing, so nobody looks at a young guy carrying a messenger style bag. so i adapted to the kind of bag and currently use a BBB-E and a billingham hadley large.

I'm one of these bag acquisition syndrome victims too... so many choices and so tempting ...

Old 02-06-2013   #28
f16sunshine

Yes.
I just call it a bag. Why a gender association needs to be established I have no idea.
I think this an american machismo thing and it's past time to retire it.

Old 02-06-2013   #29
bigeye

I wear a coat and tie to work and a computer bag. Think Tank completes my urban disguise.

Ain't going to carry no murse.

-Charlie

Old 02-06-2013   #30
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Yes.
I just call it a bag. Why a gender association needs to be established I have no idea.

On that note, lots of guys here in Yurop use one (although I've never seen one being used in the British isles). I have two, and they're very very practical.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 02-06-2013   #31
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Yes.
In NYC everywhere you can see people using bookbags. I use to use a Domke F-803 because it kinda blended into the urban culture. Making the jump to a Louie Vuitton (an official luxury real man-bag) was not that big a jump (my Louie looks like a bookbag).

Gender association is not a problem for me; I've always had long hair; and because I have narrow shoulders, and am tall and lanky with a tight butt, I sometimes have been mistaken for a girl throughout my entire life.

Cal

Old 02-06-2013   #32
Cold

Quote:
Yes.
Mostly because, in America, it's not a 'machismo thing', it's just a cultural thing. Men typically eschew carrying a bag in their daily travels, most opting instead to carry little beyond what will fit in normal pants pockets. This is, of course, only applicable for men that can do so. Obviously, a guy who needs a briefcase, laptop, etc. will require some means for carrying it.

It gets a special qualifier because, again in American culture, it's a special circumstance. Necessary? Not really. Applicable without the 'machismo' accusation? Sure.

Old 02-06-2013   #33
Out to Lunch

Myself, I use the Hadley bags whenever I travel on business. The small one, the Pro and the big one....depending on what I need to carry to the salt mines. All this said, there is a discernable 'manbag' culture in countries like Moldova and Hungary...and not at all in nearby Romania...

Old 02-06-2013   #34
benlees

Besides the one mentioned by Maggieo I only carry a bag when on a photographic jaunt. Otherwise I use a backpack.

Old 02-06-2013   #35
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Dave,

I wear a Louis Vuitton leather bag from their "Utah" series. Cost almost as much as a months rent for a Madhattan luxury apartment. Even if I am only carrying one camera, I need a bag to carry lots of film when I shoot. Although a luxury bag, its kinda low profile and not in your face.

Part of this lifestyle is that over the years I have culled down possessions to the minimum, but the stuff I keep is built to last and is of the highest quality I can buy. The leather is mucho soft and now the bag is worn in a bit developing a wonderful patina.

This bag has become part of me, and its like wearing an expensive watch where after a while you would feel naked without it.

Cal
I would love to see a photo of that bag, Cal!

Dave

Old 02-06-2013   #36
daveleo
what?

Quote:
Yes.
Yeh, when I met my wife, she was kind of put off by the bag I carried for my office gear. She tried and tried to embarrass me out of it before I met her family. So I got back at her, by acting very effeminate when I met them and their jaws dropped and my wife fell out of her shoes, but they got the message - leave me the f#%$ alone about my bag, right !

We were cool after that.

Old 02-06-2013   #37
Kent
Finally at home...

Yep, I often carry a bag. In my job (teacher and lecturer) I need to and privately, I often bring a cam and lenses, so...
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 02-06-2013   #38
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Making the jump to a Louie Vuitton (an official luxury real man-bag) was not that big a jump (my Louie looks like a bookbag).
Cal, yes... you have a man bag no doubt. However, it is not the type that screems out that it is LV (thankfully) and it is very manly looking.

Old 02-06-2013   #39
giellaleafapmu

I am but I am getting better and better every day. I used to be a rucksack plus camera bag person, then switched to a Domke bag for everything (the classical one) now most of the days I manage to go out with just a Kindle in my hands, some papers and the Q in the pocket. Of course, if I have to shot something serious I became a aluminum cases (usually three of them) person...

GLF

Old 02-06-2013   #40
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Cal, yes... you have a man bag no doubt. However, it is not the type that screems out that it is LV (thankfully) and it is very manly looking.
John,

If you would do the honors of fulfilling Dave's request with a picture of my "manly" bag. You can take a shot on February 24th at the next Meet-Up. The real nice thing is that while I have seen other men sporting "Louies" around the city, but they did not have my bag.

Cal