Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras

Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras Made in Japan by Cosina in partnership with Voigtlander, the many modern Voigtlander Leica Screw Mount and Leica M mount bodies offer inexpensive and often unique options into entering the world of Leica rangefinder photography.

The One Lens to Rule them All?
Old 04-17-2007   #1
Visuals

Question The One Lens to Rule them All?

Sorry about the "Lord of the Rings" intro. I'll be getting a Bessa R2 soon and I plan on getting just one lens. looking for the best most affordable lens that do the job.

Any suggestions?
Thanks guys

Visuals~

Old 04-17-2007   #2
biomed

I would suggest the CV 35/2.5 Skopar.

2020 Photos

rff Gallery

Blog

Old 04-17-2007   #3
aizan

40/1.4 nokton classic...slight edge to sc.

yep
Old 04-17-2007   #4
PlantedTao

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomed
I would suggest the CV 35/2.5 Skopar.
I'd second that...
it was my first lens for the bessa r2 and is the one lens I will not part with.

Old 04-17-2007   #5
back alley
IMAGES

what do you want the lens to do?

Old 04-17-2007   #6
kshapero
Starting to get it.

either one will do but the 40mm is faster

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 04-17-2007   #7
pmowen

What's the job? If you're not really sure then start with an inexpensive 50 or 35. Like biomed said the VC 35/2.5 or the VC 50/2.5. Fast enough for outside or indoors if you don't mind pushing your film a couple stops. The VC 28s are what I'm drooling over right now but, unless you know you want a wide then that might be too much if you're only going to have one lens.

Old 04-17-2007   #8
andrew

that's the key question, back alley, but without the answer I'd throw in my third for the 35mm 2.5 - it's a great lens (perhaps the 50 nokton would be a good one, too).

The 75 Heliar looks pretty amazing, too.

I guess we should wait for more details on this one lens.

Old 04-17-2007   #9
Steve Litt

My fav lens for my Bessa R2 is the VC 35mm pancake (original).My first rangefinder was a Bessa R and this was the lens I got for it.I use it with 400 iso B/W film (mostly).

Regards
Steve

Old 04-17-2007   #10
ferider

I've tried all except 12, 25, 50/2, 50/2.5, 30/1.2 and 90.

The 40/1.4 beats them all. Must have been custom-made for KobayashiSan.

Roland.

Old 04-17-2007   #11
einolu

i have lived with a 35mm skopar for more than a year now and i am really used to it. it's a little slow but also very small. i have yet to be tempted into buying another lens, though i might get another one of these.

i love the way it looks around 2.5-4:

edit: oh, and the $400 deal at cameraquest can't really be beat, imo.

einarsodinecs.com

Last edited by einolu : 04-17-2007 at 13:21.

Old 04-17-2007   #12
kully
Happy Snapper

What focal length do you want?

If not:

Before parting money on anything too expensive, I'd plonk down something on a Jupiter-8 and Jupiter-12, both of them toghether will cost you less than a 35/2.5.

Then figure out whether you like one or both.

I say this because I always thought 35mm was for me until I got the 40/1.4, now I know I'd have a 50mm if it were to be me only lens.

Old 04-17-2007   #13
photophorous

I recently got an R2A, 35 PII and 50 Heliar. So far, I've used the 50 more than the 35, but they both produce excellent images. I used a Canonet with a 40mm focal length and I liked that view a lot, but if you get the 40 Nokton you should consider an R3 for the frame lines. If I had to pick just one focal length I would go with the 40, but I'd rather have a 35 and a 50.

Old 04-17-2007   #14
dostacos
Dan

the 35mm skopar is a great FIRST lens and after all if you are here GAS will get ya and there will be other lenses, a bit wider or bit bit less wide, faster or just plane different whatever there will be more.

The russian lenses are less expensive, BUT this 35 is so great, if I really could only have one lens...ok if that was the rule, I would change the rule

Old 04-17-2007   #15
vol72

In the land of Solms, where the shadows lie...

Old 04-17-2007   #16
tedwhite

Cosina/Voigtlander Color Skopar 35/2.5. If I had to go with just one lens, this would be it. As I use Tri-X almost exclusively, I don't mind the 2.5 max aperture.

It's tiny, comes with a lens hood and cap, and is a serious bang for the buck.

Old 04-17-2007   #17
jja

The analogy is very fitting. Many of of us go on one search after another, looking for the One. For many, the search is part of the fun, but for others, settling down with one or two lenses that serve their purpose allows them to concentrate on what matters--taking photos.

My first lens was a CV 35/2.5, and I took some wonderful photos with it. For around $200, it's a bargain. You also can't beat its compactness.

If you are needing a 50, the Konica 50/2 M-Hexanon is one of the best 50's you can own regardless of price, and it can be had for around $350 on the used market.

Of course, there are many, many good lenses in these focal lengths, at all price points. I think you should decide your favored focal length first, then narrow down by price range and other needs such as maximum aperture and size.

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-17-2007   #18
Avotius
Some guy

I also have the skopar 35 f2.5 pancake 2, its a great little lens but I found the max 2.5 to be a hair slow for me shooting in low light, that said it really is a fine lens.

Old 04-17-2007   #19
Bryan Lee
Expat Street Photographer

All the replies have been good. As a user of both 35mm and 50mm lenses and having owned or currently owning most of the lenses mentioned I will add this. If I were to only have one lens it would be a 50mm in a speed of 2.0 or faster. The main reason is the distortion of faces at close range which is not a problem with the 50 but impossible with the 35 and I'm guessing the 40 too. I love the 35 and use it often but the 50 is just the go to lens for close environmental portrait work . I would say the 35 2.5 is a great lens as I used one in the past but it is to slow for me, and I lost a few shots because I was trying to save weight by carrying it. In the end I wound up selling it off and just keeping the faster and heavier lenses.

The bottom line is a fastish fifty is the best all around lens, from there it just becomes a budget issue. Currently my main lens is a Zeiss ZM 50 2.0, I highly recommend it if you can get one. The Konica is another possible choice along with the Cosina lenses.

Old 04-17-2007   #20
amateriat
We're all light!

Here's a fifth (sixth?) for the 35mm Skopar pancake, conceptually speaking (I haven't actually used it). Compact, a truly usable focal length (matching the R2's widest frameline...it's nice to keep any guesswork to a bare minimum). Smaller/lighter means a setup you'll carry with you more often, more places. Yes, it's not the fastest in the West, but you'll deal with f/2.5, even if it means the occasional one-stop push (but remember, it's smaller and lighter, giving you an edge here. Unless I end up with a CLE shortly (cross your fingers, everyone), I might consider one of these m'self. (Wait...I might have to consider one if I get the CLE, although it would stay on one of the Hexars, while the 28 M-Hex would go on the CLE.)

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 04-17-2007   #21
0bli0
still developing...

i've got both the 35 pancake2 & the 40 f/1.4. they're both nice lenses. i'd give the nod to the 40. it works well with the 35 framelines on the R2 (which used to have until recently).
i use both lenses all of the time - right now the 35 pancake2 is on my r4a and i'm using the 40 & 28 on the r-d1. i have both bodies with me in my backpack.

Last edited by 0bli0 : 04-17-2007 at 19:51.

Old 04-17-2007   #22
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Lee
If I were to only have one lens it would be a 50mm in a speed of 2.0 or faster. The main reason is the distortion of faces at close range which is not a problem with the 50 but impossible with the 35 and I'm guessing the 40 too.
Bryan,

The 50 and the 35 exhibit the same "distortion" (in fact, exaggerated perspective effect) when used at the same distance. The point is that you have to get closer to your subject with a 35 to obtain the same magnification as with a 50 and this leads to an alteration of the proportions, which is detrimental to portraiture.

For the OP: The minimum shooting distance for portraiture is 1.5m (5ft) if you want to preserve the natural proportions of face features. So, if you like to shoot tight portraits, get a 75 (the Color-Heliar is great) or a 90mm (Leitz Elmarit, Apo-Lanthar). If you like "environmental" portraits, choose a 50mm (Leitz Summicron, Classic Heliar) or a 35/40mm (Color-Skopar PII, Classic Nokton) for narrow streets or interior shots. Get a 21/25mm if you're into landscape work. And if you think you need anything longer or wider, you'd better switch to an SLR with a tele or a fisheye, as tele lenses are not very usable on RF cameras and fisheye lenses render perspective much more nicely than rectilinear super-wides IMHO.

Cheers,

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 04-17-2007   #23
RayPA
Ignore It (It'll go away)

the 40/1.4 SC or the Ultron 35/1.7. One lens? You'll want the extra speed.

I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 04-17-2007   #24
Visuals

you guys are
great!!!!
THANKS ALL. SOME REALLY HELPFUL RESPONSES AND WHILE I STILL HAVE HOMEWORK TO DO.
it looks like I'll be choosing something fast. I like the 40mm f1.4 idea because of the speed. I've seen the work of some members who've really use this lens to show their craftsmanship. I am also keep my options open for anything a fast 50mm as well. Im going to be doing maily PJ work to fine tune my skills. I shoot a digital Nikon D200 and I just think I need to take it back to basics so my work at be as good as what I'm seeing coming from the film rolls of you all.
I'm glad I joined this Forum. I think I'm in the right place

Regards
Visuals~

PS: It's weird hearing the names of these lenses and it's weird apertures of f1.7 n stuff
Cheers

Last edited by Visuals : 04-17-2007 at 21:00.

Old 04-17-2007   #25
Visuals

Stay tuned for my post
"The one best affordable film scanner to rule them all"

You guys are good

Cheers
Visuals

Old 04-17-2007   #26
Igor.Burshteyn

One lens to rule them all, One lens to find them, One lens to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them. Noctilux? :O just kidding

Old 04-17-2007   #27
amateriat
We're all light!

I see this thread has become a tough Hobbit to break...

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 04-17-2007   #28
shimo-kitasnap
everything is temporary..

Hi there, quick question.....I have a Canon III rangefinder and am wondering if I can screw in my jupiter-12 2.8/35mm into it without doing anything nasty. anyone have any thoughts?

oh and one lens to rule them all.....im sorry but it would have to be a Takumar 1.4/50mm. my Serenar 1.8/50mm is a close second......

Old 04-17-2007   #29
triplefinger

anyone have an opinion of the VC 35/2.5 vs the Cron 40-c?

best contact: mikematzdorff AT gmail DOT com

==========================

Canon P - nikkor 50/1.4 - fed 50/3.5 - Holga lens in M mount! GH2 VL 25/0.95 + nikons 35/2, 50/1.2, 55/1.2, 85/1.8

==========================

Old 04-18-2007   #30
hth

Also, consider if it is weird to have a lens like a 40 on a body like the R2 that does not have a matching frame line.

I put my vote on a M-Hexanon 50/2, but you have to decide whether it is affordable enough.

/Håkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visuals
PS: It's weird hearing the names of these lenses and it's weird apertures of f1.7 n stuff
Cheers
[/size][/size][/size] [/center]

Old 04-18-2007   #31
szekiat

my one lens would be the 40mm summicron C. Lenses have come and go, and i've shot the 12mm, 21mm, 25mm, 35mm 1.7, 50mm 1.5, 75mm f2.5, 90mm and am now doing the 28mm 1.9, the nikon 85mm f2 and i'm still using the 40mm 95% of the time. I'll safely say its my ONE lens...

Gosh, never realised i've used so many lenses until i start listing them.....

Old 04-18-2007   #32
kalokeri
larger than 35mm

I vote for 50mm. Since I gave in to the demand and bought a R2M - Kit I can highly recommend the use of a 50mm. It just fits. I barely used other focal lenghts with my rangefinder cameras although I´m thinking about something really wide ...

Thomas

Old 04-18-2007   #33
Sparrow

CV 35 f2.5, competent all round, no vices, unobtrusive, great lens
I’m predictable if nothing else

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 04-18-2007   #34
RayPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateriat
Here's a fifth (sixth?) for the 35mm Skopar pancake, conceptually speaking (I haven't actually used it). Compact, a truly usable focal length (matching the R2's widest frameline...it's nice to keep any guesswork to a bare minimum). Smaller/lighter means a setup you'll carry with you more often, more places. Yes, it's not the fastest in the West, but you'll deal with f/2.5, even if it means the occasional one-stop push (but remember, it's smaller and lighter, giving you an edge here. Unless I end up with a CLE shortly (cross your fingers, everyone), I might consider one of these m'self. (Wait...I might have to consider one if I get the CLE, although it would stay on one of the Hexars, while the 28 M-Hex would go on the CLE.)

- Barrett
well...the CLE has 28, 40, 90 framelines, so the 35/2.5 isn't a *perfect* fit, but the good news is you get the 40 FL, which means the 40's are a perfect fit. The 40/1.4, and the Rokkor and 'Cron 40's are fantastic lenses! AND with the CLE you get to consider what is probably THE MOST compact lens/M-mount combination, the CLE & CV 28/3.5.

I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 04-18-2007   #35
Visuals

I keep hearing about this "framelines" and i don't know what it means. May someone do the honors in a sentence or two

Cheers
Visuals~

Old 04-18-2007   #36
clintock
Galleryless Gearhead

There is a switch on top of the R2 that controls which lines in the viewfinder appear to depict the field of view of the lens.
You are to match the switch position to the focal length of the lens.
Unless you have a 40, for which you need to buy an R3.
So the answer to the lens question for the R2 is the ultron 35 1.7.

Old 04-18-2007   #37
RayPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visuals
I keep hearing about this "framelines" and i don't know what it means. May someone do the honors in a sentence or two

Cheers
Visuals~
With rangefinder cameras you don't look through the lens; instead you look through a viewfinder. The viewfinder has framelines that show the field of view for a particular focal length lens. Some cameras (like the Canon P, for example) have fixed framelines (showing all the available framelines at one time), other cameras like the Bessas have manually selectable framelines (there's a switch on the camera), and other cameras like the Leica M's have "auto-selectable" framelines. For Leica cameras when you twist on a 35mm focal length lens the 35mm framelines appear in the viewfinder.

In my example the CLE has framelines for the 28mm, 40mm, and 90mm focal lengths. IIRC, the 28 framelines are fixed and the 40 and 90 are auto.

more than a few sentences. hope that helps.
I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged