Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Large Format Film RF

Large Format Film RF Forum for Large Format Rangefinders (generally 4x5 or larger format) iIncluding Linhof 4x5, Graflex 4x5, and other Large Format Rangefinders.

DIY Sinar Norma Handy 4x5 Photos
Old 02-09-2020   #1
Nokton48

DIY Sinar Norma Handy 4x5 Photos

First test 4x5 Sinar Norma Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr

First test 4x5 Sinar Norma Handy 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

First test of my homemade 4x5 Sinar Norma Handy. This is hand held 4x5 camera, with a 65mm F8 Schneider Super Angulon lens. Viewfinder is a 43mm model for the Mamiya 7. Made from original Norma parts and some home made parts. Calzone provided me with bolts to attach the Pentax67 strap lugs.

Very expired HP5 (not +) developed in JOBO with straight Acufine. This particular film has high base fog, and little shadow detail. Want to repeat tests with fresh TMAX400 in the Acufine. Using this camera requires as high a speed film as is possible. Very fun to use this. Lens always focused to hyperfocal distance for max DOF. 1/125 at F11 hand held No center filter used

Sinar Handy with Strap and Cable Extension by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's the completed camera.

Old 02-09-2020   #2
CharlesDAMorgan

What fun! That's splendid.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 02-09-2020   #3
giganova

Hand-held 4x5 -- brilliant!

Old 02-09-2020   #4
Nokton48

Thanks Guys!

I bought myself two more 4x5 Graphmatic backs, so now I have three Need to load 'em. That will give me eighteen shots in a teeny Swedish Medical bag. And room for meter, phone, and stuff. Camera slings easily over shoulder and not heavy at all. A speedy way to shoot with a speedy camera. This thing does attract attention out in public, in a good way.

Old 02-10-2020   #5
Nokton48

Has anybody here processed 4x5 TMAX400 in Acufine?

I'm wondering about what kind of filmspeed you can get and still get shadow detail?

Anybody shooting 35mm TMX400 in Acufine? What speed?

Old 02-10-2020   #6
Nokton48

More info about the 1972 model Sinar Handy here:

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/01448/01448.pdf

I have the Norma which is is the earliest model Sinar.

Old 02-15-2020   #7
Nokton48

Norma Handy Stuff 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Norma Handy Stuff 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Norma Handy Stuff 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

That's a Swedish Medical Bag, to carry holders and day stuff. Graphmatics are the way to go with this camera I have three good ones now, enough to make a full run in my poor man's rotary JOBO (Eighteen sheets).

When it warms up, this is going to be a hoot. This camera attract attention, especially photographers

I like the center filter, but it requires closing down two stops, and the filter factor as well. The higher the effective film speed, the better. Right now, that is straight ACUFINE replenished (phenidone type).

Notice the hyperfocal chart pasted to the back of the Graflex XL Hand Grip (Sinar Norma used this, put their badge on it).

Old 02-21-2020   #8
Nokton48

I'm not interested in 612, I shooting the entire sheet. It covers 4x5" when focused hyperfocally, but really shines with 9x12cm which is a bit smaller sheet. I have both sizes in stock right now, presently running 4x5".

My approach to this is different from others here; It's absolutely ALL about the box. It was terribly important to me to build the Norma camera that was never introduced; The Sinar Handy came along with the introduction of the F, C, and P. I have been acquiring Norma stuff cheaply since I was age 25. So this camera completes my Norma collection (for now!)

The conical Norma board, with the 65mm Helical, came to me for cheap, so why not build the missing link? Lots of tinkering fun, it's all about the box.

BTW I went out this morning with the idea of exposing six sheets of HP5+ in a 4x5 Graphmatic. I love how the camera handles, MAN is it Handy. They certainly named in right. I exposed three sheets of three different subjects, in my travels around the city. I think I will process the HP5+ in PMK+ as it worked for me 25 years ago. I did add extra exposure as Pyro causes speed decrease in my past endeavors.

Old 02-21-2020   #9
Mackinaw
Think Different

Very impressive. A compact 4x5 that is without the bulk of my old Crown Graphic. Nice job!

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 02-21-2020   #10
Nokton48

It's like using a giant Leica with a 21mm F3.4 Super Angulon, but on steroids
Darkened corners are about the same and I like those. I can always dodge the corners.

Fun to shoot with. Anybody here use Acufine with HP5+ or/and TMAX400?

I have some new to me ideas about what to do with this thing.