Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Scale Focus 35's

Scale Focus 35's Though not rangefinders, scale focus 35's are 1st cousins. This forum includes such popular gems as the Rollei 35's, Petri 35's, and the Olympus XA-4.

Rollei 35 TE lens tube
Old 11-03-2018   #1
pauld111

Rollei 35 TE lens tube

I bumped my Rollei 35 TE off a shelf and when I retrieved it there seemed to be no issues, no dents nor scratches. But I noticed that the lens tube does not stay fixed in the retracted position. If I tilt the camera the lens tube pops out. Is there a simple fix to this ?

Old 11-03-2018   #2
Highway 61
Revisited

The lens tube friction shims must have got out of whack.
There is no simple fix to this, replacing the tube friction shims requires a total teardown of the camera front plate. Not worth the extra trouble. This is not really an issue. The lens tube isn't really designed to lock itself in place when collapsed. Now you will take the habit of not tilting the camera on purpose when the lens is collapsed and you will be an happy camper.

Old 11-03-2018   #3
pauld111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
The lens tube friction shims must have got out of whack.
There is no simple fix to this, replacing the tube friction shims requires a total teardown of the camera front plate. Not worth the extra trouble. This is not really an issue. The lens tube isn't really designed to lock itself in place when collapsed. Now you will take the habit of not tilting the camera on purpose when the lens is collapsed and you will be an happy camper.
Hi,

Thanks for letting me know. I guess I will just live with it like this. I am glad it never happened to my other Platin Rollei.

Cheers

Paul

Old 09-25-2019   #4
Smaug

Old post, but I'd like to hear if the camera still works properly.

It seems to me that this kind of damage might cause a light leak around the lens tube, requiring repair. (or ruining the camera, if it's not worth the repair cost to the owner)
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), FE2, and L35AF3, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, OM10, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Rollei 35 light leak
Old 09-25-2019   #5
randy stewart

Rollei 35 light leak

Although I do not think it is common, light leak at the collapsible lens tube can happen. In 1982 I bought a so-labelled Rollei 35 Special Edition (the all grey one) because that's all that was then available new. Out of the box it had this type of light leak. I sent it back to Marflex for a warranty repair, which was done perfectly and returned in about 10 days. No idea what it would have cost out of warranty. I do not know if I just got lucky, but the lens and optical performance of that camera was spectacular. Color slide images seemed to have a 3-D effect when projected. I didn't use it much and sold it a few years later to a Japanese dealer at a swap meet when he offered me almost three times what I paid for it. Years later, I replaced it with a 35SE - just a great little camera.

Old 09-26-2019   #6
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy stewart View Post
I do not know if I just got lucky, but the lens and optical performance of that camera was spectacular. Color slide images seemed to have a 3-D effect when projected.

I don't think it is uncommon. These tiny cameras had spectacular lenses; that's part of why it's a cult camera. Good design, good build quality and good lens in a smallish form factor. The images are fully on par with those from much bigger, more "serious" cameras.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), FE2, and L35AF3, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, OM10, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III