Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Kodak Retina and Ektra Rangefinders

Kodak Retina and Ektra Rangefinders This forum is for 35mm Kodak Retinas and Ektras rangefinders. The Retinas are known for their German engineering, relatively modest price and superb lenses. The Ektras are known as by far the finest 35mm American made rangefinder ever made.

We Need an "Ektar" section in Vintage!!
Old 09-25-2017   #1
artphotodude
Adam V. Albrec

We Need an "Ektar" section in Vintage!!

Am wondering if anyone else might like to see this? There are a lot of GREAT RF cameras Signet, Medalist, Graflex, etc from the past that might be a fun new direction.

Also, just posted a bunch of new pics to my Flickr gallery of recent Signet 35 images taken on Ilford Delta. For $20, is a heck of a good value! https://www.flickr.com/photos/artpho...57687681871646
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25710028.jpg (56.3 KB, 24 views)

Old 09-25-2017   #2
charjohncarter

Ahhh, I thought you were going to say we need to have an Ektar 100 section, which I would back: vintage imitation transparency film. But you are right, lots of us have used Ektar lenses: good suggestion.

Ektar ON Ektar - Yep!
Old 01-20-2018   #3
artphotodude
Adam V. Albrec

Ektar ON Ektar - Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Ahhh, I thought you were going to say we need to have an Ektar 100 section, which I would back: vintage imitation transparency film. But you are right, lots of us have used Ektar lenses: good suggestion.
So got around to trying Ektar 100 film (on my Signet 35 with Ektar Lens) and all I can say is DAMN I love this film. Maybe you're right and it is imitation slide film, but I like it! While it's nice to know how to expose slide film properly, sure is nice not to always have to and when I can get grain/color quality this good on a 2-Stop Push (Early Morning Sun + Polarizer), without all the headache of finding a lab with healthy e6 chemistry, I might just be up for that.

* NOTE - scanned with Nikon 4000 ED in 14-bit with Digital Ice (Fine Setting) and 4-Pass Mode.

Old 09-26-2017   #4
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

From my avatar pic, it's obvious I would like an Ektar section as well! I recently managed to find a very scarce 153mm lens for my Ektra at a decent price after more than ten years of looking for one. I'm running some film through the camera now to see what it can do.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 09-26-2017   #5
artphotodude
Adam V. Albrec

I got into using them for 4x5 Graphic View (203mm and 100mm Wide-Field) and shot them for over 3-years.

Even on a little RF like the Signet, they really hold up to the best made today (I've shot a LOT of good gear over the years - Sinar/Rodenstock, Hasselblad/Zeiss, Nikon, Canon, Mamiya, Sony Alpha and Pentax, but Ektar is a favorite).

Old 09-26-2017   #6
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Done

Enjoy

Old 09-26-2017   #7
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Okay, but you can't have your Ektar section until we get a slide projector forum!

Old 09-26-2017   #8
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Okay, but you can't have your Ektar section until we get a slide projector forum!
Ektar lenses qualify Kodak projectors for this forum

Old 10-04-2017   #9
Mr_Flibble

Well, this section died quickly

Old 01-20-2018   #10
Greyscale

Why not a Kodak rangefinder sub-forum instead of this model-specific one? There are a lot of other great Kodak rangefinders besides the Ektra and the Retinas, from the Regent through the Bantams, Signets, Medalists, and Chevron.

ETA:
Oops. I read Ektra where I should have read Ektar. And technically, the Anastigmat lens on the Regent evolved into the Ektar.

So, never mind.

My RFF Gallery

Old 01-20-2018   #11
charjohncarter

I've had success with Ektar 100. It certainly is different from available C-41 films today. I find it very easy (although I don't know why) to scan. The colors do pop, but aren't weird. I like it in my First Six Camera because the lens is a mess, and it gives an unusual character to Ektar 100. Here is a recent shot, it has just enough edge vignette and blur to set it off from every other camera.

Ektar100 by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 01-20-2018   #12
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

So is this new subsection for shots from and discussion about any RF that has a Kodak Ektar lens or for the Kodak Ektra camera/system, or for the various types of Kodak Ektar film?

Seems to be some confusion, or am I just thick?