Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 1 Week Ago   #81
brbo

What community? The Groups are dead. And the price hike and image deletion won’t help with that.

Luckily (for Smugmug), they don’t need flickr.

Old 1 Week Ago   #82
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
What community?
The community on here …. we post (a wider) range of pictures on Flickr too.

Old 1 Week Ago   #83
emasterphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
I've read the fine print and I believe the new Flickr owners are dedicated to the 'community' concept. I'm in.
Oh yeah, dedicated. So dedicated that they're forcing longterm Pro members, who definitely have over 1000 images up at this point, to have to pony up 200% of what they have in the past to ensure that their files don't get deleted. No coersion at all there, very community oriented.

Cancelled my account the other day and wiped all my photos (3800+) to move on to a better service. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will do this.

Old 1 Week Ago   #84
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emasterphoto View Post
Cancelled my account the other day and wiped all my photos (3800+) to move on to a better service. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will do this.
Any suggestions for a better service?

Old 1 Week Ago   #85
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Insta doesn't even show EXIF. Sorry, this utter garbage can't even show image on decent size. It is not storage solution. It is mobile phone browser for pictures and political platform.

Google is not something I trust from my previous experience. I used Picasa albums for years, as storage and for shares and then they trashed it one day with something I have zero interest to look at. Google has nothing to do with photography. It is search and storage company. Nothing else.

I'm not sure I ever seen pictures from Google or Insta on this or any other forum. Only from Flickr.
Groups on Flickr are the only way to find how pictures from specific lens and camera looks like from maximum amount of users. It helped and helping me like nothing else.
You could look at them at any size, including 1:1 and you could see EXIF. I learned a lot by studying of EXIF on my earlier days in photography.

If some of you don't need it, I'm sure here is better way to keep your pictures.

Old 1 Week Ago   #86
Michael Markey

I can't understand what the fuss is about.
We`re on a forum discussing five grand cameras and lenses and all Flickr wants is thirty eight quid a year for what is a bloody good service .

I think its more than reasonable.

Old 1 Week Ago   #87
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
We`re on a forum discussing five grand cameras and lenses and all Flickr wants is thirty eight quid a year for what is a bloody good service .

I agree.

John

Old 1 Week Ago   #88
Erik van Straten

Quote:

What has Flickr to do with what we are discussing on this forum? I guess that the members of this forum are 0,0002% of the members of Flickr, maybe less.

Erik.

Old 1 Week Ago   #89
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
What has Flickr to do with what we are discussing on this forum? I guess that the members of this forum are 0,0002% of the members of Flickr, maybe less.
Lots of RFF members rely on Flickr to post the interminable images in the Show Me Your [Camera][Lens] Images threads which are so wildly popular here. So a discussion of how Flickr has the temerity to charge $3.99/month for unlimited storage seems appropriate.

Old 1 Week Ago   #90
Erik van Straten

I think that the image threads are more popular on Flickr itself, but the images are the work of their makers, not of Flickr or anybody else. The images are made with lots of effort and costs by their makers, and Flickr benefits from it.

Erik.

Old 1 Week Ago   #91
bulevardi

If you have less than 1000 photos, it's still free.

I joined Flickr in 2008, now, 10 years later I have put around 800 photos on it.
It's around 6 photos a month.
So I posted almost 0,2 photos a day.
And I think I already upload tons of photos.

In less than 2 years I'm on my 1000 photo limit. So I'm going to check to delete most of my photos with the least views/comments/engagement.... to have more time ahead.

Old 1 Week Ago   #92
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
In less than 2 years I'm on my 1000 photo limit. So I'm going to check to delete most of my photos with the least views/comments/engagement.... to have more time ahead.
After ten years, I'm sure a little judicious editing will strengthen your collection and free up valuable space for the years to come. Or, you could skip one cup of coffee a month and go for broke.

Old 1 Week Ago   #93
bulevardi

The last year(s), I have less and less engagement on my photos on Flickr, I noticed a lot of people walked away that time the new CEO was there and a lot of fuzz was going on ... The service remained the same though... but less people where viewing/liking/commenting since then.
Certainly last year, don't know what's going on... almost no activity.
A lot of photographers also joined other services like 500px, Instagram, ... and maybe they don't like to upload their photos to all services each time.

I also was thinking about going with Instagram only, as I have lots of interaction there, it's even addictive.
But on the other hand, Instagram photos can't be embedded on forums easily, on some it's already possible with a tag like .

Old 1 Week Ago   #94
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post

Erik.
Erik

The thread is about the Flickr price increase and I was suggesting it was reasonable.

Michael

Old 1 Week Ago   #95
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:

I think you'll find most people don't have an issue with the amount of money as such, but the way Flickr are going about it (doubling the cost without any notable improvement to Pro features, massively reducing the upload limit that has been in place for half a decade, threaten to delete content if people don't pony up, and then wrap it up in a 'it's all for the community' cloud of love and cuddles).

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 1 Week Ago   #96
Peter Jennings

What Flickr should do is allow free users to upload a certain number of photos per year of continuous membership. Give longtime members a bonus and encourage new users to stick around.

Old 1 Week Ago   #97
teddy
Jose Morales

Flickr is SLOW on mobile most of the time. By culling those accounts that don't participate lie other Pro accounts do, or culling those people that don't really like Flickr enough to pay for it - then perhaps this may increase the speed and user experience a notch. I don't mind the changes, I love Flickr.

Old 1 Week Ago   #98
coogee

Increasing the user experience might have been a better first step forward to increasing the user experience.

Flickr themselves still advertise the following on the getPro offering:

Worry free photo backup with Auto-Uploadr
Quickly and safely backup your entire photo collection from your phone, computer, hard drives, iPhoto, Dropbox and more. Available for Mac, Windows 7, 8.x, 10, and through our Android and iOS apps.
https://www.flickr.com/account/upgrade/pro

Flickr account changes announced
Old 1 Week Ago   #99
kiemchacsu

Flickr account changes announced

I have gradually uploaded photos to Instagram, but as you said, sharing photos from there to forum is not great as flickr does.

In addition, photo compression is way too high on instagram. Flickr offers much higher quality, including original file.

Quote:

I also was thinking about going with Instagram only, as I have lots of interaction there, it's even addictive.
But on the other hand, Instagram photos can't be embedded on forums easily, on some it's already possible with a tag like .
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 1 Week Ago   #100
bmattock

I'm done with it. If I have to pay, I go back to hosting my own domain.

Old 1 Week Ago   #101
phrons

There isn't anything easier and better yet.

When you guys find something, let me know.

Until then it's flickr and instagram for me.

Instagram is my main outlet for my photos, if you are interested in seeing more.

Old 1 Week Ago   #102
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:

I wouldn't mind paying for a pro account if this was true. But it's not. Pages don't load, images don't upload, don't appear when they have, tags don't add correctly via some mobile devices, the site is slow to load pages. All these problems, and more, I've experienced multiple times in recent weeks or months. If they are serious about getting free members to convert to pro, a very good start would be a site that's stable, free of glitches, and loads faster because if I am going to pay for something, I expect it to work properly. It's not a product I can return to store if it doesn't work, so it had better work or I won't buy it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #103
Michael Markey

The service must be vairiable as I haven’t encountered those problems
It’s true that under the last regime there was loading difficulties but they seem to have been solved and the feedback is much quicker now if there are any problems.
However even taking that into account I feel the positives still outweigh any of that and thirty eight quid isn’t exactly a lot to pay for what you do get .
I costs me that to fill the car with petrol and that`s every week

Old 1 Week Ago   #104
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
The service must be vairiable as I haven’t encountered those problems
It’s true that under the last regime there was loading difficulties but they seem to have been solved and the feedback is much quicker now if there are any problems.
However even taking that into account I feel the positives still outweigh any of that and thirty eight quid isn’t exactly a lot to pay for what you do get .
I costs me that to fill the car with petrol and that`s every week
Although there have been a great deal of negative feedback postings and general whinging in the site's help forum to sift through in recent days, if you scroll through just a few pages from the last week or two, you'll find plenty of reports about various site problems which are either new or ongoing.
https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/

I hope the new owners manage to improve the quality of user experience for Flickr members. It's still the only image site I take much interest in, and I like to stay in touch with what a reasonably small number of other people (many of them, RFF members) are doing with their imaging. I tried Instagram for a few weeks, and really disliked certain aspects of the site's culture. So I would hate to see Flick fall over. After about nine years of membership I still have under 600 images on the site so the changes announced won't imminently affect me, personally but would be sorry to see some of the people I follow, leave it.
Cheers
Brett

Old 1 Week Ago   #105
Michael Markey

Brett

Yes it still needs to slicker (if that`s the word).
I use Instagram but its very different …. less info and I don`t get the hashtag thing.

Michael

Old 1 Week Ago   #106
bulevardi

Quote:
I use Instagram but its very different …. less info and I don`t get the hashtag thing.
I had to get used to Instagram in the beginning too. I know others who don't get it either.

People use it for different reasons. I notice different type of people, feel free to add one if I missed some:
- Family people to share it within their family and friend zones.
- Photographers and people only interested in photography
- Bloggers, influencers, fashionista-wannabes, semi-celebrities and people who want to get paid by companies.
- Companies, from self-employed to large companies, promoting their work and products.
- People who are in between or combine all these categories.

There are a lot of people only chasing for visibility, for likes, for followers.
There are a lot of people who don't care about it or only give access to a private group of people.
Some use all hashtags possible, others never use hashtags, it's a matter of choice.

For hashtags, Instagram shows 2 categories. First the "top posts", a series of pictures that should be the most beautiful or relevant. Then "most recent".
There are a lot of people who want to get in the top posts section for certain hashtags, to get picked up by collectives or curated groups.
And they don't always get their pictures there by posting good photos, but sometimes only by choosing good hashtags, posting on the right moment of the day, tagging the right people, ...

Some minor notes... the geo-location, you can claim the photo is taken in Berlin, while you shot it in Paris, for example.
And the endless discussion of people shooting with a DSLR in RAW, editing everything, and upload it afterwards to instagram with a smartphone, Versus the people that only shoot straight from the smartphone and claim to do no editing because it's not right or an "instant" moment.

The positive things I noticed with Instagram is that you can easily get in contact with people from specific neighbourhoods, shooting the same locations, connect and collaborate together. The live chat function,... I've met a few people this way in real life, because of Instagram, never had this before with Flickr. You could have this with Flickr, but less direct and on a more long term base.

Old 1 Week Ago   #107
Peter Wijninga

My main issue with Instagram is that it is owned by Facebook.

Old 1 Week Ago   #108
David Hughes
David Hughes

Perhaps the dissidents should get together and open a rival called slickr?

It has been known before for customers to club together and open a rival service/shop/whathaveyou...

Regards, David

Old 1 Week Ago   #109
Michael Markey

Thanks for that Bulevardi ….. more complex than I thought.
My intention for joining was simply to have an alternative to Flickr and have somewhere to post my non sports shots.
It struck me immediately though that Instagram was geared to getting noticed .

Old 1 Week Ago   #110
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
+1

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 1 Week Ago   #111
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
Flickr is SLOW on mobile most of the time. By culling those accounts that don't participate lie other Pro accounts do, or culling those people that don't really like Flickr enough to pay for it - then perhaps this may increase the speed and user experience a notch.
I think Internet worked like that in 1998, but not today.

Also, using an online service alone in 2018 IS paying them. There is money where there is traffic.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 1 Week Ago   #112
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
I think you misunderstood. I know Flickr isn't dead (many of those photos uploaded are mine), but I was talking about Flickr as a community (which seems to be what SmugMug is interested in), not a photo hosting site.

The Flickr community is either dead or very, very ill. The groups that used to be a fantastic place for photographic discussion 5-10 years ago see almost no traffic now.
Groups change over time, though, and there are newer ones that are quite active. Groups are a bit like hashtags on Instagram, so if you look at Instagram activity on hashtags from 5 years ago, you might also conclude Instagram is dying. I mostly don't bother with unmoderated groups, a lot of which are very neglected.

Old 1 Week Ago   #113
olifaunt

Quote:
The last year(s), I have less and less engagement on my photos on Flickr, I noticed a lot of people walked away that time the new CEO was there and a lot of fuzz was going on ... The service remained the same though... but less people where viewing/liking/commenting since then.
Certainly last year, don't know what's going on... almost no activity. .
Bugs bugs bugs. For example, recently the feed was down pretty much worldwide for a full day, and smaller outages happen multiple times a day. They had better fix bugs with existing software before starting to charge premium. Flickr has become so buggy that I often can't see the feed or like my friends' images. The mobile interface is slightly better maintained but the desktop browser interface is so extremely buggy and unfunctional it has become a bad joke.

Old 1 Week Ago   #114
Peter Wijninga

Quote:
Bugs bugs bugs.
Weird. I use Flickr daily -desktop, without any problems.

Old 1 Week Ago   #115
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
I think Internet worked like that in 1998, but not today.

Also, using an online service alone in 2018 IS paying them. There is money where there is traffic.
It is much more simple. Any page with high resolution images is going to be slow. Flickr came before iPhone and supporting high resolution. RFF page with big sized images also slow. Any page like this.
Insta was iPhone app, doesn't have high res images and it is for something I still don't understand. To look at images on the phone...

Old 1 Week Ago   #116
jawarden

For me it’s worth the price paid. Cheaper than Photobucket and a much higher quality service.

Old 1 Week Ago   #117
willie_901

Quote:
Good point!

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #118
Fraser

is there a fast way to delete pics, as I have a lot of pics that could easily be removed to get me below 1000?

Old 1 Week Ago   #119
sem

In the line info stream groups etc the last one "in german it is called aufnahmen" if you locked in, don´t know what is called in engish maybe record you get little thumbnails, easily marked and you will be asked what to do with them, remove ready.
Hope it will help, not so secure in english.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
is there a fast way to delete pics, as I have a lot of pics that could easily be removed to get me below 1000?

My Blog

My Flickr

My first Book

Old 1 Week Ago   #120
sem

My first thought was, go away, they can not change the rules.
But it is a free service!
And I like to show some of my pictures that is why I choose flickr, my Blog no one is interested in. Still 1000 are remaining free, so I started to delete, the older ones nobody take a look at them. I can still share with the forum here and post on flickr and get some feedback and give some feedback, still have not to pay.
Thanks to flickr!

My Blog

My Flickr

My first Book