Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Flickr account changes announced
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
farlymac
PF McFarland

Flickr account changes announced

Just got the notice that Flickr Pro will be double the cost from now on, going from $24.99 to $49.99 for one year. I'm not complaining, as it's never gone up before, so was probably undervalued. They've also added six new features, though I probably won't take much advantage of them.

But there are new restrictions on Free accounts, such as a 1000 limit on photos and videos. Might get some to go with the Pro account, but more likely a wail of anguish from the masses, followed by another stampede out the door.

And the new Log-on will be coming soon. At last, free from Yahoo!

PF

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Peter Wijninga

Haven't seen it yet...will decide when I do.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
kshapero
Photog

Flickr still works for me. I hope the "enhancements" will keep me around.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
But there are new restrictions on Free accounts, such as a 1000 limit on photos and videos.
Good, then lets hope that quality replaces quantity Had the feeling that especially in the last years FlickR was more used as a backup than as a foto sharing platform.

Juergen

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
And the new Log-on will be coming soon. At last, free from Yahoo!

PF
That alone might be the inducement for me to pay for Flickr.

Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
MaxElmar

Huh. I've happily paid the $25 for the pro membership in the past, but I only have 1046 photos on there. There doesn't seem to be enough added value that justifies doubling the price of the account....

Still Photographically Uncool
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenotar/

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
John Lawrence

More info on the whys and wherefores on the Flickr blog:

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/0...s-1000-photos/

John

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawrence View Post
More info on the whys and wherefores on the Flickr blog:

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/0...s-1000-photos/

John
..... and here:

https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead/...ent=1000photos

John

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
ptpdprinter

1000 photos is still a lot of photos. Look at this as an opportunity to edit your photos down to your very best. I have heard it said that people judge you by your worst image. Don't know if that is true or not, but you only want to show your best work.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
MaxElmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
1000 photos is still a lot of photos. Look at this as an opportunity to edit your photos down to your very best.
Yup. I think that's the plan. I have all of 3.12gb in there - $50/yr - that's expensive storage. More than Apple! Which is saying something...

Still Photographically Uncool
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenotar/

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
Takkun
Ian M.

I've long since abandoned Flickr. Partly for price, partly because I forgot my circa-1999 Yahoo password, but mostly the change in interface making it next to impossible to use. I'm guessing it was meant to be optimized for mobile viewing, but the auto-scrolling function drove me batty.

I switched over to Imgur for sharing on message boards, Drobox for friends and clients, and Tumblr for showing whatever I'm creating at the moment. I've loved Tumblr because it's a more general-interest social media platform, and see my work viewed by people not necessarily in a photographic community. Ultimately, it's a blog platform though, with those limitations, whereas Flickr allowed organization into albums and collections and the like, along with community discussion boards.

Over the years it definitely seemed like discourse had stagnated and good content was drowned out by people using it purely for image hosting (or, strangely and disturbingly enough, adult content). It's a unique platform, neither a portfolio site like SmugMug or an image-dump site like Photobucket. I'd like to see it thrive again, but with an emphasis on content creation and not just consumption.

1000 images? I think that is just fine. Probably didn't need to post 500 images of every concert, anyway.

currently trying to find a use for a Nikon D2.
--
my infrequently updated blog

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
bhop73

I'm interested to see what the discount for Adobe CC will be. (in the partner discounts section)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
Over the years it definitely seemed like discourse had stagnated and good content was drowned out by people using it purely for image hosting...
That's me, sorry...! I began doing that at the start of its decline and neglect as a home for serious photographers.

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
Michael Markey

I stopped being a pro user years ago and find the current free account just fine for my purposes.
I’ve tried other sites but non have the community feel that Flickr has .

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
sevres_babylone

I have no problems with the interface, and for viewing find their Android app much better than Instagram's. I agree it's sad that the discussion aspect of Flickr has pretty much disappeared. As for adult content, there are filters available. And I prefer its openness to IG's silly censorship. I guess the price increase may cause me to consider dumping my pbase subscription to pay for it

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
Steve M.

I got away from flickr a long time ago too, and have been using imgur with no problems. I don't use it for storage of photos (storing photos in the cloud and not on a HD at home sounds like a really, really bad idea) and I don't use imgur for any sort of social network or online community purposes so not sure how well it works for that, but for the little bit of online photo posting that I do here it works great.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17
Bille

"After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit."

I don´t think this "pay or we delete your stuff" is going to work well for smugmug. They are going to kill flickr.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18
Bingley

I've continued to maintain a Pro account at Flickr, and think these changes are positive. One of the best features of Flickr, IMO, are its groups, where like minded photographers can share photographs on subjects of common interest (gear, themes, etc.). IMO, Flickr groups are far more informative than FB groups or Instagram hashtags. And I strongly support the subscription model. One of things I find most irritating about Instagram are the ads in my feed that appear every 3 or 4 photographs. Finally, I appreciate Flickr's acknowledgment of past mistakes when it was under Yahoo's control. Flickr did indeed institute a lot of changes that alienated members and diminished its value was a site for showing and sharing interests in photography. For awhile, I went quiet on Flickr and went over to Ipernity, which turned out to be largely a dead zone. I'm pleased with the direction Flickr appears to be going under its current management and will be glad to pay the higher price to keep my photos there and avoid ads.

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19
stompyq

Gave up Flickr long ago. Prefer using instagram

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20
back alley
IMAGES

i use flickr for storage for images that might eventually be used online.
i store them in 'albums' so i can quickly find what camera and/or lens i used in making the image.
i use a pro account as 25 bucks is pretty cheap...i don't use any other means to store images online...i have 3 backup units at home to store some images.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
1000 photos is still a lot of photos.
Sure, if you're using it as a portfolio.

It's buggerall photos if you're using it as a hosting site for over a decade's worth of work...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22
dmr
Registered Abuser

I had a sneaky feeling that I was smart getting my own domain!

On “Quantity v Quality”
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

On “Quantity v Quality”

Whether 1000 images is enough or not depends perhaps on why members add them to the site. Images can be a source of information quite apart from any artistic merits or lack thereof. Eg I follow NASA’s account which often includes historically interesting or important images. Are they great photographs? Not always. But that doesn’t mean they’re not worth seeing. Other accounts I follow include members who post images related to camera repair, or old photo magazine articles. Yes most of these are probably already pro members but this has no bearing, philosophically, on the point of “quality v quantity” of images.

I have around 500 images added using my free account to which I will occasionally add more. A few of those include some scans of found Kodachrome slides for historical interest. Every time I add a new image I see a message informing that I have used less than 1% of my allotted terabyte. I don’t have a problem, at all, with the new owners of Flickr placing limits on free account image uploads, but I definitely think it should be based on total file storage rather than the numbers of images.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24
coogee

Doubling the price is quite the move!

The cost now opens up a lot more alternatives, I'd be open to finding out what they are, any particular affinity I ever felt towards Flickr is long, long gone, like over 10 years gone.

The 'partner discount' on Adobe is 15% in the first year only of a full Adobe Creative Cloud Membership. It won't allow application on a Lightroom/Photoshop only subscription for example, it has to be the complete suite of all Adobe applications.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

See my signature

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Tumlpr, shmagmag are dusty corners, IMO. I can't stand instacrap and FB is not for pictures viewing.
Flickr for me to see pictures from great photos like Helen and Junku. Normally sized and in normal quality.

I'm just not sure why it is "news". Then I accidentally mistook flickr emails as spam, my Pro for 24 account was closed due to expired CC. I reactivated it few months ago and it was six bucks a month already.

This one is from Oct.8:

Merchant:

Flickr, Inc., P.O. Box 390123, Mountain View, CA 94039

Order #:

fssfk

Product:

1 Month Flickr Pro

Payment Method:

dsdll

Amount:

$5.99

What is even more curios, is my payment history. It stops at March this year on Flickr account page.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27
farlymac
PF McFarland

The one thing I haven't noticed about the new arrangement at Flickr is when do Pro accounts have to be upgraded? Do we have to do it now, or wait until the current one comes due? They're so concentrated on getting the free members to go Pro, I think they've overlooked this issue.

PF

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bille View Post
"After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit."

I don´t think this "pay or we delete your stuff" is going to work well for smugmug. They are going to kill flickr.
That's really tough. In the past (says before 2013), older photos were not shown in top page of free account user, -but- still view-able if there were linked to forum before, such as RFF for instance.
Now I guess that many threads here with wonderful photos will be blank instead as new policy from flickr is activated.
I -only- use flickr to link photos to post in forum,
Any alternative platform that you folks can suggest?
I love the built-in BBCode generated from flickr so I can share very quickly.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29
uhoh7

I'm pissed!! Double???

TYG Yahoo is out. The nagging to join was the worst thing about it.

But I prefer flickr to all the others still.

I think alot of people are using google.

Flickr is nice once you learn a few tricks. Early days I often cursed it.

If you like fast access to full size, and easy downloading, clean interface in browser, it's good. Mobile not quite as nice.

What are the hottest photo sharing locations for pros these days?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30
nickthetasmaniac

Between this and PhotoBucket, there's going to be an awful lot of dead image links floating around forums like RFF... The lens sample thread are going to be a pretty sad place

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Between this and PhotoBucket, there's going to be an awful lot of dead image links floating around forums like RFF... The lens sample thread are going to be a pretty sad place

Funny how that works

Flickr is cool. I am pretty fond of my flickr friends, a few of you RFF folks included, even the TS

50 bones sounds pretty reasonable to me...someone has to pay for stuff

Photobucket. Remember that. Maybe flickr will do it a smarter better way. Sure would be sad to see them screw up something halfway decent

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
Photobucket. Remember that. Maybe flickr will do it a smarter better way.
Based on what Flickr themselves have said, it doesn't sound like they're going to do it a smarter way...

'After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted.'

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Based on what Flickr themselves have said, it doesn't sound like they're going to do it a smarter way...

'After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted.'

Flickr is giving 3 months notice. I have never used photobucket but my recollection of the discussions were that they deleted pictures without much if any notice.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
I had a sneaky feeling that I was smart getting my own domain!
Done that too and imo probably the best sort of hosts for images. That being said in the past 15 years I have let at least 3 server spaces I could filezilla access go dark in which I had many images contained within subfolder stashes.

Still have all that data filed here and there in various ways. The 21st century photoalbum/personal stuff scrapbook.

I won't miss my flickr photostream so much...my flickr friends streams though I would miss

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
Gave up Flickr long ago. Prefer using instagram
Same. Flickr has one purpose for me still, to host and share photos to forums that don't do this well, e.g here in RFF. That is around two photos a year

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i use a pro account as 25 bucks is pretty cheap...
It will be 50$ annually from next year. I dont think that´s cheap for hosting. That´s the price of a 1TB SSD disk. 1TB will store 100.000 images in high resolution easily.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37
Ste_S

Quote:

They're going about it in a weird way for sure, announcing stuff that's going to push people away rather than bringing more people in.

I'd love it if they could turn the platform around and attract photographers back to it from Instagram, but on current form it doesn't look as though they can.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #38
Michael Markey

Quote:
It will be 50$ annually from next year. I dont think that´s cheap for hosting. That´s the price of a 1TB SSD disk. 1TB will store 100.000 images in high resolution easily.
Must admit I never considered Flickr for storage.
I do that on hard disks.

For me its for sharing but primarily for the community .
I`m on Ipernity (which is a dud as far as I`m concerned ) and also on Instagram.

Instagram is ok but I rarely hashtag anything I post on there.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #39
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Sure, if you're using it as a portfolio.

It's buggerall photos if you're using it as a hosting site for over a decade's worth of work...
You mean as an SD card dump?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #40
Peter Wijninga

I wonder what is behind the steep price increase for the yearly Pro subscription. In my case from $22,50 a year -with a two year subscription, to $50 a year.