Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Point and shot Olympus XA1, 2, 3, 4 ?
Old 04-25-2017   #1
TheHibou

Point and shot Olympus XA1, 2, 3, 4 ?

Hello all,

Beyond my Olympus XA, I am thinking of acquiring a more point-and-shot model from the XA family, whiwh one would tou recommend ? I do belt level shooting in streets, public transportations, bars, etc, places with not so good light and you can't use the flash...

Regards,
TheHibou

Old 04-25-2017   #2
Chubberino
-

I like the XA2 to compliment my XA

Old 04-25-2017   #3
RobinWinter

XA4 is outstanding if you can find one for a decent price. Lens is as fast as the XA2 and XA3 but its wider so better for shooting from the hip, and as I understand it, wider lenses can be held steady at slower shutter speeds...or at least shake is less apparent. ISO also goes up to 1600 which is really nice, but its DX so youll need to tape over your DX strip on the film can if you want to push to a higher ISO.

Old 04-25-2017   #4
kuzano

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHibou View Post
Hello all,

Beyond my Olympus XA, I am thinking of acquiring a more point-and-shot model from the XA family, whiwh one would tou recommend ? I do belt level shooting in streets, public transportations, bars, etc, places with not so good light and you can't use the flash...

Regards,
TheHibou
I kept an XA, just to say I still have it.

I find the XA2 overall a more usable camera. The Zone focus is superior to the rangefinder on the XA. I don't really see the lens on the XA as that much better. I really do like the slight hint of vignette of the XA2.

If you lined up one of each of the four variants, not counting the cosmetically colored one(s), I would grab an XA2 every time. My folders with XA2 slides are a bit better overall than the XA. Perhaps if my eyes were better, but I just don't personally think I get a better focus with the XA.

By comparison three or four good XA2's will cost about the same as one reputed to be "good" XA.

Old 04-25-2017   #5
TheHibou

Dear all,
Thanks for your answers !
TheHibou

Old 04-25-2017   #6
dourbalistar

FWIW, the iso range on the XA2 only goes up to 800. Might be a consideration depending on what "not so good light" means.

p.s. I'm using an XA2 in my avatar photo.

Last edited by dourbalistar : 04-25-2017 at 10:36. Reason: Add p.s.

Old 04-25-2017   #7
David Hughes

Hi,

Have you seen this site http://www.diaxa.com/ just click on the red button to start.

The XA3 is a DX'd XA2 with +1 EV.

The XA4 focuses to a foot and the lanyard acts as a measure. And a 28mm f/3.5 lens. And +1 EV.

The XA1 is like a Trip 35, no batteries needed but fixed focus and 100 or 400 ASA/ISO only but the ASA switch gives 2 EV if thought about carefully. The lens is f/4 and 35mm.

I've had the XA and XA2 for decades and the others for about a decade or so. Whatever you do, don't start looking at the XA4's flash accessory and the four fancy cases for them...

Regards, David

Old 04-25-2017   #8
Darshan

I bought the XA4 for its wide angle lens; it's a little expensive but I like the small gem. Here are a few photos from it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kromef...h/15969494856/

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 04-25-2017   #9
nomadia

The XA and XA4 are wonderful cameras. I use the XA4 more when there's good light. I don't know what aperture it normally pre-selects, but mine seems to be in F5.6 and above when not used in closeup mode (so not ideal for low light documentary work).
https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-25-2017   #10
DwF

I have an XA and have also considered an X4 but for lower light, having the f 2.8 lens is useful. Of course a tripod would have been handy for a shot like the one below but I think more of this as the OP says suggests, a camera for belt-level shooting. Although not quite as low profile, cameras like the Yashica Electro 35, and Konica Auto S3 and offer extra speed with f1.7, f1.8.

Agfa Vista Plus 400

Old 04-25-2017   #11
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

The XA2 and XA3 are terrific point and shoot cameras.

I owned an XA for 20 years since new, but even after a Camtech CLA I sold it.
It's far more fussy - and slower - to use than the other models.

Chris

Old 04-26-2017   #12
David Hughes

A photo from the XA4:-

and this is what you get if you touch the shutter button too soon...

but, at least it shows how it works.

Regards, David

Old 04-26-2017   #13
DwF

Thank you for sharing those David- quick shutter notwithstanding- lovely pic. That is one in this series other than the XA that appeals to me. I know the XA2 is also a good camera but I like having the focus and find it perfectly easy to use.....the finder window not as good as my Konica but design-finesse over function!

Old 04-27-2017   #14
David Hughes

All part of the service; FWIW I've one of each and the XA2 that I've had forever, it seems, recently packed up working. I'm wondering if I should get it repaired. You can see the conflict between sense and hedonism, I hope.

Regards, David

Old 04-27-2017   #15
DwF

David,

I have a bit of that temptation with the Contax T. I had one years ago and recently while looking at some old slides, I stumbled on some pictures taken with the T. They made me long for the camera. Funny that when I actually had it back then, I was way more into my Hexar, so I didn't connect with it which is why I sold it. My better sense says, stay away!

I would think that repairing your XA2 would make sense. Stewardship trumps Hedonism! Pun intended

David

Old 04-27-2017   #16
mackigator

Carrying the XA with one film and the XA4 with another, while traveling = great combo.
I've carried with Tmax400 in the XA for low light, knowing I can push in development, and then loaded the XA4 with slide film or ISO100 flim of choice. Nice results that way.

I've made free use of the bolt on flash for the XA, which was a surprise to me (it's weak), to cover me for those really dark moments when I want to get a usable exposure. If you throw an small external slave flash in the bag, one that syncs with other flash's via light, you can overcome the "flash" look, if you want to, by getting quick 2 and 3 point lighting setups. Metz MZ 52822D 28 CS-2 Digital Flash works well for this.

I carried the XA a lot more before I met the Ricoh GR digital though. I still love my XAs and they have produced many of my favorite photos.
Wii trance by Clark Mackey, on Flickr
Waiting by Clark Mackey, on Flickr
Shop swing by Clark Mackey, on Flickr

Old 04-27-2017   #17
TheHibou

Thanks to all for great imputs and fantastic photos. I understand each model has its role to play...
Bottom line, a XA-3 is on the way, a XA-2 could follow soon, still looking for a XA-4 :-)
Take care
TheHibou

Old 04-27-2017   #18
dourbalistar

Now you just need to get them in all the colors.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs...ll-colors.html

Old 04-28-2017   #19
David Hughes

Hi,

And don't forget to get the 4 different cases that go with them...

I managed to track all of them down but could only afford two of them, so be warned.

Regards, David

Old 04-28-2017   #20
mackigator

And don't forget about the flash trick with the XA: by turning the flash on, with the body switch, then moving it to a normal aperture (flash off on body) you will still fire the flash, but it somehow gives the meter enough light to end the exposure and creates a second-curtain like effect on film image.

Here's a good link for anyone new to the camera or looking for all the details of the XA and progeny: http://www.diaxa.com/xastart.htm

And the Olympus XA Users Collective: https://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/

Old 04-28-2017   #21
mackigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

And don't forget to get the 4 different cases that go with them...

I managed to track all of them down but could only afford two of them, so be warned.

Regards, David
@David is there a place online where all 4 case variations are pictured? I'm curious which ones I have.

Old 04-28-2017   #22
DwF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackigator View Post
And don't forget about the flash trick with the XA: by turning the flash on, with the body switch, then moving it to a normal aperture (flash off on body) you will still fire the flash, but it somehow gives the meter enough light to end the exposure and creates a second-curtain like effect on film image.

Here's a good link for anyone new to the camera or looking for all the details of the XA and progeny: http://www.diaxa.com/xastart.htm

And the Olympus XA Users Collective: https://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/

Thanks for these photos Clark. Its always nice to see what people are doing with these cameras. And your travel combination makes sense too. I have used flash fill with my photography but the slave idea is intriguing. I played with one at a friends art studio years ago but that was it. Here is an interesting link related.
https://www.reddit.com/r/analog/comm...xaxa2_and_a11/

David

Old 04-28-2017   #23
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackigator View Post
@David is there a place online where all 4 case variations are pictured? I'm curious which ones I have.
Hi,

There's one of the VIP ones on ebay at present at:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-XA...-/291980282724

And here's one that comes in two lengths for the cameras with the A11 and A16:-

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Olympus-XA2-c...YAAOSwB-1Y40Qh

The 4th version is very rare and I've only ever seen one, I've a sketch of it that I'll try and find and then come back to tell all.

EDIT:- The fairly modern case for the -V fits the cameras nicely but not the cameras with the flash fitted.

2nd edit: I can't find the 4th XA case but have found a posher one for the series, so the old fool was getting confused... Sorry about that. :-(

Hope that helps.

Regards, David

Old 04-28-2017   #24
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

With flash attached camera is larger, heavier and definitely less pocketable.
Flash increases the fusiness factor; IMO then it's no longer a "point & shoot".

Once removed I never reattached the flashes to my various XA models.
The large electrolytic capacitor C1 is probably defective by now anyway.

Chris

Old 05-03-2017   #25
weihsuan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Now you just need to get them in all the colors.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs...ll-colors.html
Not forgetting the very hard to find Pink XA2! ;P

Old 07-11-2017   #26
johank

At a Church sale I got a Boxed XA with flash for 2$, the battrey with was ofcourse dead, but
there was Film in it so I'm eager to see who used it, perhaps 6 frames, long time ago.
My first I bought on Cyprus in 1983.
My love is my XA4 found cheap in a Pawn shop.

Old 07-11-2017   #27
DwF

Quote:
Originally Posted by johank View Post
At a Church sale I got a Boxed XA with flash for 2$, the battrey with was ofcourse dead, but
there was Film in it so I'm eager to see who used it, perhaps 6 frames, long time ago.
First, congratulations on that find! Enjoy your XA, wonderful little camera. As for the used roll of film and what you might uncover, this could be the sequel to Blow Up that Antonioni has been waiting for!

David

Old 07-11-2017   #28
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johank View Post
Hi,

That was lucky and I guess it will remind us all that there are still some great cameras out there at nice, easy prices. And they are just waiting for someone to rescue them and love them...

Regards, David

Old 07-12-2017   #29
Archiver

I bought a XA2 at a camera market in 2007, and found it to be a great snapshot camera. Burning through a roll was disturbingly easy with zone focus. It's the camera I wish I'd had as a teenager and young adult as it is small, discreet, easy to use and easily kept in a pocket.

Old 08-22-2017   #30
amhildreth
Hootie-Hoo

After reading this thread, I suddenly have the urge to hunt down an XA4 as a friend for my XA and XA2.

Old 08-22-2017   #31
DwF

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhildreth View Post
After reading this thread, I suddenly have the urge to hunt down an XA4 as a friend for my XA and XA2.
Hear hear! I've thought that would be a fun camera to have as well

Old 08-22-2017   #32
Darshan

I use several cameras and I have to say my XA4 is the fastest shooter of all - open the front flap, scale focus, compose and shoot; I can take a photo within 3-5 secs after deciding to take it. Scale focus on this is very easy as there are only a few settings, and I have come to use 5 ft, 10 ft & infinity the most. After running several rolls through it I don't have to check the focus scale to set focus, I can adjust focus even while composing through the vf. The dof with the 28 mm lens is huge and getting an OOF shot is not a big concern. Because of the 3.5 max aperture, it is not best suited for night and indoor shots however I have gotten decent results in those settings.

Here are some examples:

Daytime:

Indoors:

Night shots:

It is also my smallest full frame camera

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 08-23-2017   #33
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhildreth View Post

Hi,

Be careful; it won't end there...

We seem to be hard wired to want the full set and you'll then start looking for the XA1 and XA3 to complete the series.

Regards, David

Old 08-23-2017   #34
amhildreth
Hootie-Hoo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

Be careful; it won't end there...

We seem to be hard wired to want the full set and you'll then start looking for the XA1 and XA3 to complete the series.

Regards, David
Now that you've put the idea in my head...