Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Leica 50mm Summicron-m V3 service info
Old 02-11-2019   #1
Kevcaster

Leica 50mm Summicron-m V3 service info

Hi everyone, my Wetzlar made Summicron-m V3 aperture blades have oil on them and are becoming a little sticky.
I have dismantled it to the two main components - focus assembly and lens assembly. I have removed the aperture ring and aperture plate but cannot see how to split the optics and get to the aperture assembly.

I wonder if there was already a thread on this or if someone has done this before. any links to external info also useful. I found one on version 2 thread and Mikeno has a Youtube video on the made in Canada version which is quite different. As ever, all help gratefully received.
Kevin
Leica M6 1989 - Leica M3 1955 - no more broken cameras - Zeiss Contarex Cyclops 1967 - no digital - Nikon F F2 F2A - only analogue - Horizon 202 - Hasselblad X-Pan - only silver media - Rolleiflex 2.8F - All now working as they should
Flickr

Old 02-11-2019   #2
lukx

Cannot really help because I never got this far into my V3 Summicron. But I am curious: was it easy to screw the optics block off the helicoid/focusing unit after removing the retaining ring in the back? My lens just wouldn't come apart and I kept wondering whether I was doing anything wrong. From my understanding unscrewing retaining ring from the back was all that was necessary in order to unscrew the optics...

Good luck with your servicing attempt!

Old 02-11-2019   #3
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I only did focus part re-lube.
Lens block just unscrews from focus block.
Video on YouTube is available.
No retaining ring, just unscrew. It is same is Rigid.

Old 02-11-2019   #4
Ronald M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I only did focus part re-lube.
Lens block just unscrews from focus block.
Video on YouTube is available.
No retaining ring, just unscrew. It is same is Rigid.
Yes but mine was so tight it took two men and a boy to unscrew.

You do not get to aperture ring that way.

Be careful with disassembly as some products are glued together.
If you can not get it apart with spanner or screwdrivers, have Leica fix it.

Old 02-11-2019   #5
Kevcaster

Thanks for all the interest.
Yes the lens block just unscrews from the focusing mount. I think I will send it in for service, it is not obvious how to get to the aperture assembly and I do not want to wreck it.

While I'm here. FWIW - The version 3 summicron is slightly unloved. I have owned Summicrons version 1, 3 and 4 and cannot tell the difference in picture quality on a 16x12 print or a projected transparency. Since most pictures are viewed as jpegs on a screen the probability that differences can be seen is even more remote. It's all good, we can relax.
Leica M6 1989 - Leica M3 1955 - no more broken cameras - Zeiss Contarex Cyclops 1967 - no digital - Nikon F F2 F2A - only analogue - Horizon 202 - Hasselblad X-Pan - only silver media - Rolleiflex 2.8F - All now working as they should
Flickr

Old 02-12-2019   #6
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

i was able to remove either the front or rear lens block, but unfortunately i can't recall how that exactly went. however, it should be rather obvious, else i wouldn't have gotten there without recalling now.
(maybe a bit weak argumentation, but that's how my mind works ..)

also, i don't have that lens with me right now, so i can't double check. sorry.

cheers,
sebastian

ps: i like the ver. 3 for its slightly longer focus thread.

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Old 02-12-2019   #7
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

V3 is my Favorite of the 50 Summicrons
YUM , took some of my favorite photos with it