Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2441
ChipMcD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
I didn't know you were from Indiana. I've never been to Vincennes, a little far from home for me. A lot of the small towns in northern Indiana still have beautiful old buildings, but Plymouth is really extraordinary. So is Kendallville. Fort Wayne has demolished virtually every building from the late 19th Century downtown and replaced them with ugly steel and concrete monstrosities.
Chris,

I'm not from IN, but visited Vincennes and Columbus last summer on a cross country trip (retirement bucket list item) that mostly avoided Interstates, and I enjoyed both towns. If I get back to your state, I will definitely include the Ft Wayne area, based on your work.

I'm from the Philadelphia area now, and am a poster child easterner, but on that trip I found that most of the condescending bicoastal "wisdom" about "flyover country" was pure BS. That did not surprise me at all, because I came originally from a rural, agrarian area on Maryland's eastern shore. I very much enjoyed Indiana, Iowa, and Nebraska on my trip and would like to make targeted return trips to photograph specific areas in each of those states in greater detail.

Keep up the great work documenting your part of the world so artistically.

Chip

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2442
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Here is the second photograph that I made of the abandoned gas station in Tyner, Indiana. The door and windows on this side are bricked up with cement blocks, but it still has a Coca-Cola sign like the ones on the front of the building.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2443
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The Gun Town is a firearms dealer located near Grovertown on US-30 in rural Starke County, Indiana. The building looks like a set of storefronts from a town in the Old West.

The banner on the front of the building says: "We sell ARs...because we're not Dick's.

The banner refers to Dick's Sporting Goods, a large chain store that sells guns in its hunting department. A few months before I made this photograph of The Gun Town, Dick's announced that they were going to stop selling the AR-15 rifle, which is the semi-automatic civilian version of the M-16 assault rifle. Dick's stopped selling the AR-15 because it has been used in several mass shootings in recent years.

The double entendre slogan on The Gun Town's banner has been adopted by small gun shops all over the United States to announce that they won't bow to pressure from gun control advocates to stop selling assault rifles like the AR-15.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2444
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This narrow building is the Simons Building. It is located on Michigan Street (State Road 17), between Garro Street and LaPorte Street, in the small town of Plymouth, Indiana.

Though it is a small building sandwiched between larger structures, I found the Simons Building's combination of a plain storefront on the first floor, bay window on the second, and Romanesque windows on the top floor to be an interesting and beautiful design.

Michigan Street is the "Main Street" in the small town of Plymouth, Indiana.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2445
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This mobile home is located in a trailer park on the west side of Starke Street, just south of US-30, in the small town of Hamlet, Indiana.

The front window is covered by an American flag and a Penske Racing flag.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2446
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Two children's bicycles on the front porch of a beautiful old house on the corner of US-33 (Main Street) and South Carlin Court on the southern edge of the small town of Churubusco, Indiana.

I photographed this place last summer.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2447
robert blu
quiet photographer

The Simons Building is a real beauty!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2448
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
The Simons Building is a real beauty!
robert

It is gorgeous! The building is actually for sale for $300,000. It has a beautiful two floor apartment on the two top floors. If I weren't poor I'd buy it; would be a neat place to have a studio and to live.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2449
KeithH

Quote:
It is gorgeous! ....

It certainly is, the Chamber of Commerce building next door looks pretty cool too.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2450
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
It certainly is, the Chamber of Commerce building next door looks pretty cool too.

It is! Plymouth was a neat town. I had never been there before, but passed by it at the beginning of this year while driving to photograph a friend's wedding in another town about an hour west of Plymouth. I stopped in several towns along the way, since I don't usually make it to that part of Indiana as it is a long drive from home.

Plymouth's old "Main Street" buildings are in remarkable condition, and the town still supports a prosperous local business community.

There are a few other towns like that in northern Indiana that I have photographed; like Kendallville, Goshen, Mishawaka, and Huntington. Most of the ones with well-preserved Main Streets are larger than Plymouth, though. Mishawaka, Goshen, and Huntington really are small cities.

Most small towns are in bad shape here, with the old storefronts in poor condition and the second floor windows often boarded up. A lot of the factories that supported small town life in northern Indiana have gone to China, and they took the towns' prosperity away too.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2451
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Relaxation Station is a now-closed massage studio on the corner of Main Street and Mitchell Street in the small town of Kendallville, Indiana.

The building, which was originally a bank, is plain and unadorned except for the neoclassical entryway.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2452
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

You've been busy, usually I have to read a page if that when I visit. I had to go through two and a half pages this visit. Enjoyed ever bit of every one. Thank you.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2453
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
You've been busy, usually I have to read a page if that when I visit. I had to go through two and a half pages this visit. Enjoyed ever bit of every one. Thank you.

Thanks, Darthfeeble. I'm either too busy, or not busy enough, depending on how you look at it. I have a backlog of over 500 photos waiting to be edited. So, I have been too busy shooting or not busy enough finishing the work!

Old 1 Week Ago   #2454
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Kendallville Auto Parts is a locally owned auto parts store on the corner of Main Street and Mitchell Street in the small town of Kendallville, Indiana.

This is the kind of locally-owned auto parts store I remember from my childhood, before the big chains like AutoZone came to Indiana. The owner told me that his father opened the store in 1972. He said they have so much old stuff in stock that the second floor is also full of car parts.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2455
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The second of several photographs that I made of Kendallville Auto Parts in the small own of Kendallville, Indiana.

Going in this place is like stepping back in time 30 years. They still look up parts in paper catalogs held in a rack on the counter!

Old 1 Week Ago   #2456
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

^And those great pounded tin ceiling ! Peter

Old 1 Week Ago   #2457
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Uno View Post
^And those great pounded tin ceiling ! Peter

Yes, love the ceiling! When I was a kid, my dad used to buy car parts at a locally owned place in Fort Wayne called Hires Auto Parts. It was in an ancient brick storefront on Broadway in the middle of the city, just like this place in Kendallville, and the inside was damn near the same. Tin ceilings, grimy beat-up steel counters, fan belts hanging along the tops of the walls. They even had some of those shock absorber stools!

The store closed 20 yrs ago.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2458
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
...It would be a neat place to have a studio and to live.
This was my first thought when I saw your photo read your words
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 1 Week Ago   #2459
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

My third photograph of an auto parts store in the small town of Kendallville, Indiana. The stools in front of the counter look like giant Monroe shock absorbers!

I remember seeing stools like this at auto parts stores in Fort Wayne when I was young, before the big chains came in and ran the local places out of business.

Old 5 Days Ago   #2460
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The last photograph of Kendallville Auto Parts, the small town store that I photographed back in November. They have an old manual key grinding machine next to the counter, and an old-style Pepsi vending machine.

Old 3 Days Ago   #2461
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is the former Town Hall building in Middle Point, Ohio. The building on Adams Street was also used in the past as a fire station. The current Municipal Building is a former bank located next to this building.

Middle Point is a small town in Van Wert County. It is called Middle Point because it is halfway between the town of Van Wert and the town of Delphos. Van Wert is in the center of Van Wert County, and Delphos is on the eastern edge of the county.

Old 2 Days Ago   #2462
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A funnel ball goal stands in front of the main screen at the Van-Del Drive-In Theatre in Van Wert County, Ohio. The theatre is located about a mile north of the small town of Middle Point on the corner of Lincoln Highway(County Road 418) and Middle Point Wentzel Road (County Road 185).

The Van-Del's name has the same origin as that of the nearby town of Middle Point. It is about half way between the town of Van Wert and the town of Delphos.

Old 1 Day Ago   #2463
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Today is the 98th anniversary of the founding of Waynedale, Indiana. I grew up in Waynedale and still live there today.

Originally a small town, it became part of the city of Fort Wayne, Indiana's second largest city, in 1957. Although Waynedale has been part of a large city longer than it was an independent small town, it still looks like, and has the culture of, a small town!

I have been photographing Waynedale for more than 20 years. I have posted many photographs of Waynedale in this thread over the years, but the link below lets you see them all in one place.

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-...hp?category=13

Old 1 Day Ago   #2464
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is the Middle Point Municipal Building, the town hall, in Middle Point, Ohio. The building on Adams Street is a former bank located next to the former town hall building.

Interestingly, I have seen a lot of small towns in the midwestern United States that use a former bank building as the headquarters of the town government.

Old 10 Hours Ago   #2465
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

In the last few months, I have been doing a lot of photography in the small town of Kendallville, Indiana.

I have eleven of them on my website (and this thread) now, and several more to post soon; so I have created a separate portfolio for Kendallville!

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-...p?category=118

Old 8 Hours Ago   #2466
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The Dutch Mill is an abandoned gas station, restaurant, and bar on the corner of Lincoln Highway (County Road 418) and Ridge Spur (County Road 183) in rural Van Wert County, Ohio. It is about a mile north of the small town of Middle Point.

Part of the building is shaped like a Dutch windmill.