Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1
Old 08-02-2018   #1
kshapero
Photog

Thumbs up The Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1

The original cool retro mirrorless camera. Any users still out there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 08-02-2018   #2
kshapero
Photog

Also know as the Leica DIGILUX 3

Old 08-02-2018   #3
Michalm

Good looking camera, but it isn't mirrorless. It does produce nice looking images though especially colorwise. Somehow colors coming out of these look better than modern cameras .

Old 08-02-2018   #4
kshapero
Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalm View Post
Good looking camera, but it isn't mirrorless. It does produce nice looking images though especially colorwise. Somehow colors coming out of these look better than modern cameras .
Yes, I stand corrected. But one of the first DSLR's with live view.

Old 08-02-2018   #5
wjlapier

I have the L1 and Leica 14-50 lens. I've used the lens on a GH2 but not sure I will any further. The L1 is very capable of producing excellent images.

Old 08-02-2018   #6
David Hughes
David Hughes

Um, I'm baffled; if it isn't mirrorless then logic says it must have a mirror.

But it hasn't; so we've a new meaning for mirrorless...

Regards, David

PS Excellent camera btw, I had one for years and years.

Old 08-02-2018   #7
santino
eXpect me

It certainly has a mirror but the orientation is different so no need for a mirror box.

Old 08-02-2018   #8
Swift1

When I first got into photography, the L1 and 14-50mm was at the top of my list for cameras I wanted. I ended up getting a Pentax K10D (which I don't regret), but I have still wanted the L1 and its kit lens ever since.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 08-02-2018   #9
Axel100

The DMC-L1 has a "porro-finder" what means that it has a mirror but this mirror doesn´t
move. No mirror slap. A similar system like the EOS RT or Olympus E330 or Sonys SLTs.

Old 08-02-2018   #10
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Um, I'm baffled; if it isn't mirrorless then logic says it must have a mirror.

But it hasn't; so we've a new meaning for mirrorless...

Regards, David

PS Excellent camera btw, I had one for years and years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santino View Post
It certainly has a mirror but the orientation is different so no need for a mirror box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel100 View Post
The DMC-L1 has a "porro-finder" what means that it has a mirror but this mirror doesn´t
move. No mirror slap. A similar system like the EOS RT or Olympus E330 or Sonys SLTs.
The L1 has a mirror and mirror box (same system as the Olympus E-330), and the mirror flips sideways before exposure, similar to the old Olympus Pen F half frame SLR.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 08-02-2018   #11
Axel100

Ah yes, it flips sideways. I was wrong.

Old 08-02-2018   #12
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Thank you! That’s correct.

It’s an excellent camera. At one point I had two of them and did all my professional gigs with them. A friend bought one from me and uses to this day for his jobs. It produced quality photos way beyond the expectations derived from its spec sheet.

It’s still a fine performer with superb quality build and excellent ergonomics. One of them refreshed with an EVF and a current generation sensor would be a winner today.

Old 08-02-2018   #13
wjlapier

Thick body--L1.

Old 08-02-2018   #14
peterm1

I still use mine now and then. There are things about it I have never liked much - the tiny viewfinder and the slight apparent delay when making an image. But its a cool camera that can produce really nice images - still. The IQ is something i always appreciated about it, especially its in camera jpg options. What I more often do though is use the lenses I had for it on an AF adapter for Four Thirds to M4/3. AF is a little slower than with latest lenses but perfectly acceptable mostly and the lenses I have are sweet. The best being the 14-50mm and the 25mm f1.4. They are sooooooo sharp.

Old 08-03-2018   #15
David Hughes
David Hughes

Thanks everyone.

I guess it was what the politicians call brain fade (when they do it & stupidity for everyone else).

Oddly enough, as soon as the Olympus was mentioned it all came back although I never owned or used one.

Regards, David

Old 08-03-2018   #16
Dralowid
Michael

A friend still uses a Digilux 2 which he swears is better than the Digilux 3 he bought and then sold, preferring the older model.

The images he produces are consistently excellent and touch wood, the camera continues to function faultlessly.

Old 08-04-2018   #17
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

It's a great pity that there never was a Digilux 4, say the 2 upgraded and so on. It was nice to have a proper sized camera instead of an itsy bitsy thing you have to wave about in the air because it has no VF...

And the controls on both the 2 and 3 were extremely easy to use and understand, even without the instruction manual.

Regards, David

Old 08-10-2018   #18
kshapero
Photog

Call me crazy but I just picked an L1 with two OLY manual focus lenses (50/1.8 and 28/2.8) and adaptor for $145. Hell I figure if it is a bomb, I can at least get a couple hundred for the lenses. So far having a blast. Almost no menu since most everything is done by buttons and dials.

Old 08-10-2018   #19
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Call me crazy but I just picked an L1 with two OLY manual focus lenses (50/1.8 and 28/2.8) and adaptor for $145. Hell I figure if it is a bomb, I can at least get a couple hundred for the lenses. So far having a blast. Almost no menu since most everything is done by buttons and dials.
I think you will enjoy it. It is a fine camera though like all cameras of its time its sensor is not wholly up to those of today. But this can be taken care of with a little care in exposing and by keeping ISO at 800 or less. Its finder is also a little small though this is often overstated. The native 4/3 lenses are also available relatively cheaply if you are inclined to add one or more and they can be used with an AF adapter on M4/3 cameras.

Old 08-10-2018   #20
wjlapier

I've tried my Leica 14-50 on a GH2 with the Panasonic AF adapter and it works but it racks back and forth before locking focus. It's best to use it on the L1 though. BTW, mine was brand new when I bought it and it has maybe 50 shots on it. I bought it for the lens but never really got around to using it since I was so heavily invested in Sony.

Old 08-10-2018   #21
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
I've tried my Leica 14-50 on a GH2 with the Panasonic AF adapter and it works but it racks back and forth before locking focus. It's best to use it on the L1 though. BTW, mine was brand new when I bought it and it has maybe 50 shots on it. I bought it for the lens but never really got around to using it since I was so heavily invested in Sony.
Yes I agree it can be slow.

But oddly I found that this lens works better and faster on Olympus M4/3 cameras (with adapter) for some reason rather than on Panasonic M4/3s. In fact when I mounted it on one of my Pany M4/3s (I think it was a Panasonic GF1) it did not register an image at all. This seems to be lens specific though as I also have a Panasonic - Leica 25mm f1.4 D which I have successfully used with the same adapter on the same Panasonic GF1 camera and found it functioned more or less perfectly. Odd.

From memory I think I tried the Panasonic 14-50mm on the Panasonic GX7 after I bought this more recently (as well as my Panasonic GF1) and got the same error - while, however I found that the same lens / adapter works perfectly on my Olympus OM D EM 5. So well in fact I took this specific combo on a holiday to Bali with me as my main lens and camera outfit (though I also shot pretty extensively with the Olympus 75mm f1.8 when more reach was called for) and it all functioned perfectly.

Bali Sunset Jimbaran Bay by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Old 08-19-2018   #22
kshapero
Photog