ELMARIT-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH vs summaron 5.6?
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
hrryxgg

ELMARIT-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH vs summaron 5.6?

i have the elmarit and thinking about switching to the summaron.

i like the compactness of it.

i wonder how much i'd lose by having 5.6 vs 2.8 range?

anyone have both or thoughts on this?

thanks

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Use the lens you have with aperture not larger than f5.6. This will tell you like nobody else.
But. ...
I had 28 2.8 and I had 28 5.6 RF lenses. On digital M it was difference between no flash or flash indoors. But if it was static objects and high ISO I was able to still use f5.6 one indoors.

On the street and with film M I needed f2.8 with ISO 50 films and then sun was down, but light still coming. With f5.6 I have to quit maybe half an hour earlier. I like to not go bellow 1/250.

After sun was kaput I have to switch to 1/8 with f2.8 lens and push my ISO400 film.
f5.6 was no go lens for dark time of the year.

I have now huge 28 1.9 and thinking of getting 28 5.6 again. But not Leica one, again .

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Archlich

If you'd like a lomo lens, try a Lomo 30/2.8 first. At just $300 it won't hurt.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
a.noctilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrryxgg View Post

thanks
For me the Summaron-M would not replace the Elmarit-M asph.

I have the two 28mm lenses (also some others...), for more than one year the Summaron-M 28mm but in everyday use Elmarit-M asph. is as good as can be a 28mm lens at all aperture.

The only time that the Summaron is superior (in my view) is when used at night pictures with spot light in field : at f/5.6 no stars on spots with dof of 5.6 and no coma to speak of.

28mm Summaron-M is a special lens for special occasions with flaws for modern concepts: flare a bit more, focus only to 1m, when I don't take care I have my finger in the pic because it's so small and don't use the huge hood (that "doubles" it's weight), difficult to use a filter rare size E34!

28mm Elmarit-M asph. is all around good lens with no flaw by modern standard.

Not much gain in weight for the two 28mm:
Summaron-M (mine no hood) 164g
Elmarit-M asph. (version I, no hood) 178g

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Use the lens you have with aperture not larger than f5.6. This will tell you like nobody else. . . .
Indeed. Consciously noting how often you use large apertures will tell you how much you use them. In my case, the answer is "a lot". That's why I got rid of my 35 Summicron. By f/5.6 the difference between it and the Summilux was not worth worrying about; at f/2, f/2.8 and f/4 the Summicron was better; but at f/1.4 there is no contest...

Also, I once had a 28/6.3. Quality was so-so, but the absurdly small maximum aperture was the main reason I got rid of it.

Cheers,

R.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Penzes

I have both lenses, the Summaron is not a replacement for the Elmarit. It is just a different type of 28mm. With modern digital camera's you can always pus ISO and try to have film like rendering.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...8mm&view_all=1

This pictures are taken with the Summaron, indoor, outdoor, B/W and color.

my flickr

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
a.noctilux

Another thing that I didn't mention:
Summaron-M with Digital M is very nice compact/handsome combo special with M-D or Monochrom and when ISO required 3200 or more can be used without fear.

As I recall, Summaron-M 28mm was made on request so it's not easy to obtain one from the shelf.
Have-you seen this RFF thread : https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=159408

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrryxgg View Post

thanks
It's only compact if you don't use the lens hood.

I have the Elmarit asph 6 bit (like that matters on film!) and it really is a perfect lens. I have not seen anything I like from the Summaron, if anyone else made it, it would have been royally panned. The way the Lomo 32mm 2.8 Minitar has been (which I have). But that lens is sorta cheap.

Anyway, as I am primarily a film shooter, a max aperture of 5.6 is useless to me the moment the sun starts to drop.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
ChrisC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
...only compact if you don't use the lens hood........ I have not seen anything I like from the Summaron, if anyone else made it, it would have been royally panned........
I agree entirely. Leica could have brought out a slow, compact, fabulously corrected 28mm lens which some of us would have craved. Instead they opted for a heritage design with mushy corners and an agricultural hopper for a lens shade. I think they were lazy. It's a pity Zeiss aren't in the market to release a 28mm f5.6 that sings, bites, and shouts crikey with each exposure.

........... Chris