Kick my butt - get me back into film
Old 09-03-2019   #1
kshapero
Have not arrived

Kick my butt - get me back into film

I haven't shot film in over a year. Please kick me back into pulling out my lovely M3 or bevy of fine Nikon's. What's wrong with me?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 09-03-2019   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I not sure if you are going to like it.
Your Flickr shows repetitive shots of the same.
Until you will not get tired of this; film is not going to be with you.

Old 09-03-2019   #3
Ambro51

Because it’s “Same Old Same Old”. Try something different. I suggests a Stereo Realist and making your film be stereo slides. This is something pretty much only film can do, and the 3D effect is Awesome. The Realist is the Finest $75 Camera in the World.

Old 09-03-2019   #4
kshapero
Have not arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
getting old. Need to step out.

Old 09-03-2019   #5
gavinlg

One camera, one lens, one film. Shoot 50 rolls like that. It's a good excercise in self discipline!

Old 09-03-2019   #6
CMur12

Akiva, if those were Minolta film cameras, there would be ample reason to go back to film. Leica and Nikon, not so much.

- Murray

Old 09-03-2019   #7
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Load up your Leica or one of your Nikons with some new film you've wanted to try
and shoot at least one frame a day, every day. That will get you started...

Chris

Old 09-03-2019   #8
KismetSky

Sometimes all it takes is a new camera or a new lens to change your perspective and give you that little extra motivation. Maybe testing out the waters with a larger format or a small point and shoot. If there's any interest, I can certainly loan you something.

Old 09-03-2019   #9
Richard G

From back alley’s thread on improvement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras. Changing cameras means that your photographs will change. A really good camera has something I suppose you might describe as its own distinctive aura. – Nobuyoshi Araki

I like that concept.

Old 09-03-2019   #10
zuiko85

Try this, shoot one shot per day using photo paper as a negative. This will help provide fairly quick feed back and if you are familiar with regular darkroom processes is cheap and fairly easy...even at ISO 6.
Just cut some paper to 34mm by 55mm and lay it on the inner rails of your SLR. Go out, you only have one chance, meter at ISO 6 (at least for Ilford MG4 RC. In cloudy bright light you should be able to hand hold at 1/30 @ f2.8 to f4 or, for smaller apertures or poorer light use a tripod.
Develop to a negative and either contact print or scan and.....well there you go.

*That’s right, I did say 34mm, prevents trying to get a precise 35mm that may be slightly wider and crowd the outer film rails.

PS; You don’t have to stick to one per day, you can do more if you like, but...do at least one exposure per day.

PPS; If you have a 6X6 laying about you can use that and get a bigger negative.

Old 09-03-2019   #11
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
......PPS; If you have a 6X6 laying about you can use that and get a bigger negative.
Yep, pick up an inexpensive TLR and go crazy. Medium format is a lot of fun.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 09-03-2019   #12
kshapero
Have not arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Load up your Leica or one of your Nikons with some new film you've wanted to try
and shoot at least one frame a day, every day. That will get you started...

Chris
great advice

Old 09-03-2019   #13
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

"You need to shoot film for longevity"...repeat that mantra three times as soon as you get up in the morning and you will shoot film with your beloved film cameras...guaranteed !

Old 09-03-2019   #14
Archiver

Pick up the film camera that catches your eye right now. Handle it, look through the viewfinder, fire off a few dry shots. Put on a different lens and shoot a few more dry shots. Play with the lenses, think of how lovely and solid their manufacture is, how images look when they are developed. Look at your old film images, as well as images taken by others, and think of how you might be able to do just that yourself.

This is what I do when I get motivated to shoot film. Thing is, shooting film costs money, so I feel like I need to justify the images I take with it. If you feel that urge to shoot film, find yourself some good subjects in your usual way and take a few images. Just a few. If you want to shoot more, do it, just feel that it's worth taking them.

Old 09-03-2019   #15
farlymac
PF McFarland

Well, you miss it, so that's a start. Just what do you hope to gain by using film again? Why did you switch to digital in the first place? Do you feel it will improve your images to go back to film? And if so, why?

Or maybe you just miss the visceral feel of using a film camera. So just go out there, get a couple rolls of film, and have at it. Sooner or later you will settle on either one or the other, or a combination of the two.

PF

Old 09-22-2019   #16
bwcolor

I dropped film two California droughts ago, but the state seems content with increasing the states population, raising both tax rates and items taxed and not a damn thing is done to increase the water supply, so I’m done with worrying about washing film, but I’ve forgotten much, but have my old notebooks. I think that I will stay digital for color, but never had an interest in digital B&W. I wonder if my hundreds of rolls sitting in my film freezer have survived the last 7-8 years?

Old 09-22-2019   #17
Guth
Observational Documenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
I haven't shot film in over a year. Please kick me back into pulling out my lovely M3 or bevy of fine Nikon's. What's wrong with me?
Maybe you simply need to spend more time away from shooting film until you yourself are the one kicking your butt. If you don't miss it then why force it? I have a number of pursuits in life that I've enjoyed for decades but often find myself taking periods of time away from those interests. Sometimes for a short while, sometimes for longer. Eventually I'll return to whatever it is that I've been taking a break from when the time is right. This can have it's own benefits when it comes to creative pursuits.

Old 09-23-2019   #18
Ste_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Yup.
I think the OP needs some inspiration regardless of if they're shooting on film, digital, their phone etc...
Pick up some photobooks, think of a project you want to do ?
Perhaps also curate your flickr feed down to your best shots to gain inspiration ?

Old 09-23-2019   #19
CharlesDAMorgan

What did you like about film and miss?

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar all gone.

Old 09-23-2019   #20
Archiver

I'm not sure if these images are to your taste, but these are all film images. Maybe these might help tempt you back into film.

Natura - Kingdom II by Archiver, on Flickr

M7 - Green by Archiver, on Flickr

T3 - At The Dock by Archiver, on Flickr

T3 - Boat Shed by Archiver, on Flickr

Old 09-23-2019   #21
peterm1

Maybe not what you had in mind.............

Old 09-23-2019   #22
leicapixie

Relax! I'm sure still shooting but digital..
Your photos "all the same" is not true!
You have a style, as we all get with practice..
No matter where I go, my pix are My Pix.
Film is beautiful but so are simple phone pictures!
I love the idea of paper negative!
Every day is new but the sun comes up everyday too..
but sometimes it's obscured.
I actually like your series..

Old 09-23-2019   #23
jmarcus

Personally I'm not working hard enough at my photography, so one thing I think about is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C6%91/8_and_be_there

I read some other article a long time ago and I always think about F8 and Shoot.

I find if I'm not shooting all the time I have to physically work at shooting, I have t remind myself to get up and move around, keep the viewfinder to my eye and push the button. So get out there!

As for film, I decided I wasn't shooting enough to justify a M10, I still have my M9. When it was in the shop for the sensor replacement, shooting film on the M6 just had more beautiful results.

Flickr
=======================

Old 09-23-2019   #24
Mute-on

I really like your black and white images of family and friends, particularly outdoors in better light.

You could do a lot worse than grab your M3 and a 50 Summicron/lux and throwing some Tri-X in it, meter at 800-1600 and go for it!

I would say you are capable of some great photos, and some haphazard ones. You need to refine your approach a little to concentrate on what makes your photos great (lighting, orientation, composition).

It can be your project for this Rosh Hashanah!

All the best.

J

Old 09-23-2019   #25
froyd

This works for me:

1- Look at the unprocessed output from my last outing with a digital camera
2- despair at the thought of dealing with 300+ images from a simple weekend trip
3- grab a roll of film from the fridge and stare longingly at the marking that reads 24exp film and wonder where it all went wrong
4- If that fails, reach further back in the fridge and grab a roll of 120

Just kidding, of course, but I do like how shooting film "concentrates" my output. Of course for some people the thought process above goes something like: look at the stash of undeveloped rolls, despair, look longingly at digital cam :P

Old 09-23-2019   #26
Highway 61
Revisited

Like Mute-on said.

You have a free access to a very picturesque spiritual community.

Documenting it with a film camera would for sure be great and you would leave an interesting archive behind.

But, you need to determine your own angle of view first. Looks like you see things better in black and white, obviously. You should be good enough at close-up square black and white portraits.

You also have to dump many of your haphazard photos. Keeping looking at one's own bad photos is... bad. Sort your production out, treat yourself with some honest criticism.

Getting rid of online shopping and "returnitis" will help you too.

Old 09-23-2019   #27
retinax

Look at prints. Best hold them in your hands. Either your own work, or a friend's, or at least a gallery or a book.

Old 09-23-2019   #28
GarageBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
This works for me:

1- Look at the unprocessed output from my last outing with a digital camera
2- despair at the thought of dealing with 300+ images from a simple weekend trip
3- grab a roll of film from the fridge and stare longingly at the marking that reads 24exp film and wonder where it all went wrong
4- If that fails, reach further back in the fridge and grab a roll of 120

Just kidding, of course, but I do like how shooting film "concentrates" my output. Of course for some people the thought process above goes something like: look at the stash of undeveloped rolls, despair, look longingly at digital cam :P
There have been times when I've done that - cut and sleeved my negatives - looked at them and thought about throwing the whole thing away

Old 09-23-2019   #29
Emile de Leon

I just got back into film after a 10+ year hiatus..
I figure the only reason for film these days is you actually like the process..and intend to print..
For me that means MF up to LF..
Not 35mm..

Its nice to see the film hanging to dry..
Not so nice to mess up exposures etc..
And..pretty expensive..

Old 09-23-2019   #30
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Here's an exercise to stress your creativity: Make exactly, just, one photograph every day for a couple of months. Try to shoot something different in theme every time you make a photo. ONLY look at the photos after a week has gone by.

Makes no difference whether you use film or digital capture. Solves the "too many photos to process" nonsense, and makes you work at pre-visualization.

Personally, I often go out with a camera and struggle to make even one photograph that isn't a repeat of photos I've made before. And I am generally closing down making all those repeat exposures ... I don't want to be bothered with them. Many times I pick up the Polaroid SX-70 instead of anything else now ... an 8 frame film pack can last me a week or more!

I see no point to "getting you back into film" ... I'd like to see you get back into and be enthused about doing Photography. It's a much more valuable thing to be motivated by.

G

Old 09-23-2019   #31
B-9
Devin Bro

Motivation:

Film will never be this affordable again.

Even if it is inflated.. now or ...prohibitively expensive later!

That was enough for me to go 100% back to film. Ill enjoy it while I can afford it.

Those digicams only get cheaper by the month.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 09-23-2019   #32
Erik van Straten

Film is fantastic, above all because you can make such nice prints from the negatives: gelatine silver ... The prints will outlive you many times.

Erik.

Old 09-23-2019   #33
Ambro51

I’ve read all the replies and I’ll bet the Stereo Realist would be the most “game changing” camera/method yet suggested to get one back into film. Seriously, how often do people look at one of your photos, go !!!!WOW !!!!! and stare at it in amazement??? They will when they look through the viewer!!!

Old 09-23-2019   #34
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Film is fantastic, above all because you can make such nice prints from the negatives: gelatine silver ... The prints will outlive you many times.
I hear that all the time.

According to the Wilhelm-Research reports on archival permanence, the post-2006-2007 generation of pigment inkjet prints on archival papers outlast gelatin-silver prints in stress testing by a factor of two to three.

Beyond that, I don't care a bit whether my photographs outlast me. That's for anyone left behind who values them to worry about. I do my best to make sure they are printed on archival papers and with inks that will stand the test of time, and that's all anyone can do.

G

Old 09-23-2019   #35
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Lots of very good suggestions here, such as extended use of one camera, one lens, one film, or make exactly one photo per day.

One thing I've noticed among my "uninteresting" photos or very old photos, is that after a great amount of time has passed (many years) , I discover a multitude of fascinating things in the old photo. Things that were so common or so frequently seen that I ignored them at the time of the photo. This is especially true of places I had lived in many decades ago.

So what I did a few years ago was embark on a theme of "everyday scenes" and "too common". I would deliberately photograph things that I saw every day that I'd given no attention to. I did this in the belief that many years from now I will be grateful for having captured these things.

As for archival qualities, I have family photos from Hungary that were made in the 1890's - over 120 years ago - and they are in perfect condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0111-1~2.jpg (21.3 KB, 7 views)

Old 09-23-2019   #36
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambro51 View Post
I’ve read all the replies and I’ll bet the Stereo Realist would be the most “game changing” camera/method yet suggested to get one back into film. Seriously, how often do people look at one of your photos, go !!!!WOW !!!!! and stare at it in amazement??? They will when they look through the viewer!!!
My mother and father recorded their entire honeymoon trip with a Stereo Realist. They were fun to look through*and beautiful quality when I was a child, but only one person could see them at a time.

Over the years all of them became so degraded in quality that the magic was long gone. The problem was outgassing of the plastic holders they were mounted in, which ate away the dyes in the emulsions over time. Not a single one of them has survived the past 70 years.

Their very few B&W negatives have had a substantially better survival rate—not 100%, for sure, but a few good ones are still around.

Prints, particularly B&W prints, do much better from that era. Digital images recorded into a book, published, and digitally submitted to the Library of Congress will likely outlast anything else.

---
To the OP: Pick up a Polaroid SX-70, buy a few packs of film, and make one good photo per day. It will completely change how you do photography. Bonus point: People, children in particular, LOVE having their photo made with a Polaroid SX-70.

G

Old 09-23-2019   #37
B-9
Devin Bro

1 cam 1 lens 1 film. Not very easy for anyone who has a history with cameras.

Better to just feed yourself with restraint. Treat it like your giving up tobacco.

Strangely equivalent in my experience. Restraint builds discipline.. eventually.. I hope!

Haha. Just be happy. That is the best motivation you can find.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 09-23-2019   #38
helenhill
Mod chasing Shadows Light

Your thread made me giggle
Getting awfully ‘kinky’ Akiva , lol