Slide/Transparency Film -Do you shoot it?
Old 02-20-2018   #1
dave lackey

Slide/Transparency Film -Do you shoot it?

Spring is here! Well, for some of us...

For some unexplained reason, I want to shoot a lot of slide film! I have missed the gorgeous images for a long time.

Do you shoot slide film these days?

If so, what is your end use? In the past, slides were much fun. I still want to shoot some 120 slides this year, badly. But what do you guys do with your beautiful images?

Dave

Old 02-20-2018   #2
Robert Lai

All get scanned.
35mm ones get loaded into a tray and projected. Though to be honest it's been a while since I hauled out the projector.

I need to remember to shoot duplicates - one for scanning, one for projection.

Old 02-20-2018   #3
Huss

I print them and sell them. Love the colours. I shoot C-41 more just because it is a lot cheaper. A lot cheaper...

This is either Provia or Astia. I need to check my notes.

Old 02-20-2018   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Scanned. I still have same projector from times I was using nothing but slides. I remember how it was melting emulsion on these slides as well.
And just like back then, I put slide film in the camera and it lasts forever.

Old 02-20-2018   #5
x-ray

In the film days of my career about 65% of my work was transparencies from 35mm to 11x14. I shot many thousands of sheets and rolls. I've got to say I really miss shooting transparencies. Large transparencies, especially 8x10 and 11x14, will knock you out they're so beautiful. If I could I'd go back to film entirely right now.

The problems with film in the commercial world are, if you handed a roll or sheet of 8x10 transparency film to an art director today he or she wouldn't know what to do with it. If prrchance the AD know what it was there are very few prepress houses that could do drum scans.

I don't shoot as much as I'd like to personally but when I do I scan them and digitally print them.

Old 02-20-2018   #6
Mackinaw
Think Different

Yep, I shoot Velvia every now and then.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 02-20-2018   #7
Rangefinder 35

I shoot mostly Velvia 50-35mm, and scan the slides at 4800 dpi. The scanning and working on the images in PS is just another aspect of photography for me, especially when it gets grey outside...

Old 02-20-2018   #8
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I print them and sell them. Love the colours. I shoot C-41 more just because it is a lot cheaper. A lot cheaper...

This is either Provia or Astia. I need to check my notes.

Nice image, Huss...

Is that a 35mm stitched image?

I am trying to figure a novel way to use slides. One of the cool things I have seen is inserting slides into the decorative openings in vintage movie film reels and mounting the reel with some backlit frame. Still not sure how that was done.

I think I would like to shoot duplicates and crank up my projector, maybe even go out on the patio to view the slides on a sheet or something across the backyard! Cookout and fire pit, drinks, etc.

Dave

Old 02-20-2018   #9
x-ray

Although I've shot Velvia I never understood the big attraction. It's saturated but it's very contrasty. First of all your tonal range is very limited compared to Provia or Ektachrome 100VS for example. For scanning if you're working with a contrashy film you can't really reduce contrast and you can't extract information in the films highlights and shadows that doesn't exist. Lower contrast films like Provia and Ektachrome VS are much easier to expose and scan. Actually Fuji made a film specifically for scanning. Astia was low in contrast with moderate color saturation. It wasn't snappy like Provia but it scanned perfectly. When you scan you can easily add contrast and saturation but it's hard or impossible to reduce contrast.

Old 02-20-2018   #10
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I stopped shooting slide film and went 100% digital for my color work in 2011. That summer, my son and I went on a road trip to New Mexico and spent a couple weeks out there. I shot 40 rolls of 120 transparency film in a hasselblad.

By then, all E-6 labs in Indiana had closed down. I had to send them to chicago, and it cost me over $400, and many of the rolls came back with scratches on them. That was the last straw for me. I liked shooting slide film, but digital is giving me better quality, cheaper, with no hassles.

Old 02-20-2018   #11
02Pilot
Malcontent

I was given about a dozen rolls (mixed, mostly Velvia 50/100 and Ektachrome 100) a year or so ago, so I've shot a few. It's fun, and I had them mounted in case I ever want to project them, but they've been scanned and used that way primarily. For me it's really just an experiment, and in that it's been successful in that I got some images I like while working within the limitations of the film. I shoot so little color generally that it's not a huge expense whether it's C-41 or E-6.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 02-20-2018   #12
pyeh

I shoot colour slide film as much as I can (afford that is), usually Velvia 50 and 100, but also Agfa CT Precisa (Provia offcuts, I understand) and I recently bought some Provia 100F to try.
I'm so parsimonious with it though that, like KoFe, a roll stays in my camera for a long time. The stock in my fridge is already mostly expired.
Kodachrome, of everyone's blessed memory, is what I miss. Kodak's impending revival of Ektachrome is good news as far as choice goes, but I never liked it much when it was around first time. My Ektachrome slides from the late 70s are all faded/gone funny while my Kodachrome slides have held up much better.
I mostly have my film scanned now, but I have a collection of slide projectors and boxes of slide mounts ready for when I pull my finger out. A projected slide is a thing of beauty and a slide show is like going to the cinema (assuming you don't fall asleep during the boring bits).

Old 02-20-2018   #13
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
I shoot colour slide film as much as I can (afford that is), usually Velvia 50 and 100, but also Agfa CT Precisa (Provia offcuts, I understand) and I recently bought some Provia 100F to try.
I'm so parsimonious with it though that, like KoFe, a roll stays in my camera for a long time. The stock in my fridge is already mostly expired.
Kodachrome, of everyone's blessed memory, is what I miss. Kodak's impending revival of Ektachrome is good news as far as choice goes, but I never liked it much when it was around first time. My Ektachrome slides from the late 70s are all faded/gone funny while my Kodachrome slides have held up much better.
I mostly have my film scanned now, but I have a collection of slide projectors and boxes of slide mounts ready for when I pull my finger out. A projected slide is a thing of beauty and a slide show is like going to the cinema (assuming you don't fall asleep during the boring bits).
Peter,

Love it! I just finished pulling my own projector out and doing a little slide show in the living room with 10 year old slides of our grandchildren... I had forgotten about those and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing them again. Our prints languish in the archive boxes... our digital images languish in our now dead computer and backup drives. But, the slides were in action tonight and I must say the retro fun was amazing!!!

SLIDES PUT THE FUN BACK INTO PHOTOGRAPHY!

I think I can afford about 10 rolls this year... to start with... can't wait to dig out all the really old slides!!!

Dave

Old 02-20-2018   #14
gnuyork

Yes, almost exclusively for color. Though I have been giving Portra a go lately too.

Old 02-20-2018   #15
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Yes, almost exclusively for color. Though I have been giving Portra a go lately too.
Can't wait to see what you got, Joe!!!

Dave

Old 02-20-2018   #16
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Nice image, Huss...

Is that a 35mm stitched image?
Thanks Dave, no it's a Fuji TX-2 (Xpan) shot.

Old 02-20-2018   #17
Corran

Slide film is great. There's nothing like seeing a transparency in your hand. The bigger the better. As far as printing goes, right now I can't print in my darkroom so any color has to be sent out from scans, so it doesn't really matter to me. Slides of course are a bit harder to control, in terms of contrast, but easier to scan. Color neg is great too, and I shoot that as well, depending on the situation.

Once I find a decent color head for my Beseler 45MX, I'll have to shoot primarily color neg if I am going to print myself. But I will still shoot positives because they are a lot of fun.

Old 02-20-2018   #18
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I used to shoot little else but 35mm slide film,mainly Ektachrome and Velvia. I'm not taking too many slides in 35mm now, but I do a lot with 120 Velvia in the Hasselblad for projection. 35mm slides have mostly given way to digital, which I view on the iMac. But give me time, and I'll shoot more 35mm Velvia one of these days.

I did a slide show years ago on Missouri's rivers and springs. I compared Kodachrome, Fujichrome, and Ektachrome. The film that gave the truest colors (for those subjects) was Ektachrome EPP-100. It showed the deep blue of the springs and the green vegetation growing in the springs and rivers with the truest colors.

Old 02-20-2018   #19
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I was just warming up to Astia when they discontinued it. I thought it had a quality that struck me as "purity of color". I wish they still made it.

Old 02-20-2018   #20
peterm1

When I look at images like these (below) shot on Kodachrome I can see why people like slide film (some slide film). Too bad Kodachrome is now gone though I understand Ektachrome is back.

http://reelfoto.blogspot.com.au/2012...old-color.html

Old 02-20-2018   #21
bhop73

I want to, but I really don't want to pay the price of what slide film goes for these days.

Old 02-20-2018   #22
Ken Davis

I use about 30 35mm rolls a year, alongside digital, they look so good when projected and it also disciplines me to think more about the digital images I'm taking, these tend to start as a 'Polaroid' for the slide shot.

Old 02-21-2018   #23
pyeh

On the cost of slide film, Velvia is certainly expensive in Australia but I've been lucky enough to get it at about US$10 a roll for the past few years by stocking up during trips to Japan or taking advantage of sales like B&H just had. I figure that at $10 a roll it's actually no dearer than it was in the 80s, allowing for inflation. But it's still money when digital is "free". Also, Sydney has a good cheap E6 and C41 developing lab, although they don't mount slides.

Old 02-21-2018   #24
dave lackey

These days, for us, there is no money. Things are... tight. However, there always seems a way to find a little money for some slide film/120 film, etc. and it is well worth it because life is too short not to.

Besides, like shooting any film, it is an event! The whole process of setting up the projector and looking at the huge projected image I shot and remembering every detail of the moments when the shutter was released, is the reward for me! It is much more satisfying than looking at a computer monitor, or even a huge TV screen! It is amazing to be actually "re-living" those "Kodak moments" looking at the projections on the wall, on the side of the house, or on a building... one commands the entire space not just a monitor on the desk... even the room is theater-dark and nothing distracts.

Now I need a 120 slide projector! Still cheaper than a new television screen and the content is a lot better.

Dave

Old 02-21-2018   #25
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I used to shoot tons of slides. Mostly 35mm, and E100SW, VS and Provia 400 were my main films. A good bit of Agfas RSX200 as well, some Velvia. I still have a cubic foot box full of slides that never got edited for the stockhouse when they stopped accepting submissions on film. Haven’t shot a roll of E6 that I can recall since. 2007 maybe?

Old 02-21-2018   #26
gnuyork

Some examples from a trip to Mexico (a very colorful place). These are either (I can't quite remember) Ektachrome E100VS or Kodachrome (sadly missed, back when I could still get it processed- the last year) Shot on the Leica M6 and a Summicron 50 lens.

Old 02-21-2018   #27
gnuyork

A few more from Mexico:

and this last one is my wife photographed here (who is Mexican and the reason for our trip - to visit her family)

Old 02-21-2018   #28
robert blu
quiet photographer

I shot only slides for many years, decades. I stopped when difficult to find a good lab where I live: long time to send films and have the slides back, higher prices and bad work done, scratches and dirt (obviously in the sky!).

I know there are good labs around (I had opportunity to visit one in Germany, very good experience) but do not like the idea to send films around and anyway they are now expensive.

Yes, the projection event is something great and very different than sitting in front of a computer. Thanks for reminding.

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-21-2018   #29
dave lackey

Wow, amazing colors, Joe!

Dave

Old 02-21-2018   #30
dave lackey

Robert!

Cool images there... do you ever get the chance to project your slides? Thanks for sharing...

Dave

Old 02-21-2018   #31
jmilkins
Digited User

I still have 20 rolls or so of 35mm Prescia - a German version of Fuji Sensia 100 I think. And quite a few rolls of Provia 120. I love slide film. Bought a 6x6 1960s projector a while back...

Have not shot for a while because of developing, but I should get myself an E6 kit.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 02-21-2018   #32
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilkins View Post
I still have 20 rolls or so of 35mm Prescia - a German version of Fuji Sensia 100 I think.
It's called AgfaPhoto CT Precisa 100 and it's a repackaged Fuji Provia 100F.

Old 02-21-2018   #33
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Robert!

Cool images there... do you ever get the chance to project your slides? Thanks for sharing...
I can project the 35mm slides not the 120 :-( a 120 projector seems to be too expensive!

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-21-2018   #34
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I can project the 35mm slides not the 120 :-( a 120 projector seems to be too expensive!

robert
Robert, that is the same problem I have! Grrrr.

Dave

Old 02-21-2018   #35
Larry Cloetta

For color, I shoot mostly Velvia and Provia in 135 and 120 for projection (primarily) and scanning. I’d actually completely stopped using all C41 a few years ago, feeling that digital could replace C41 for my uses, but not E6. It’s the projection aspect mostly, especially with 120. Have recently added back a small bit of Portra 160 again for portraits mostly.

At some point in the future digital projection or the best 4K screens or digital picture frames may well give me more than I am getting now from a projected medium format slide, but it’s not there yet, though it can be quite stunning in a quite different way.

Yes, digital color is easier provided you always have a grey card with you.

Old 02-21-2018   #36
dave lackey

Looking for some 127 film size Super Slide mounts!

Does anyone know of a source to buy those?

Dave

Old 02-21-2018   #37
css9450

Quote:
Looking for some 127 film size Super Slide mounts!

Does anyone know of a source to buy those?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARDBOARD-H...19.m1438.l2649

Looks like all new stuff... Not ancient old stock. Real "heat seal" mounts like good old Kodak processing used - the kind you have to seal with a hot iron.

I'll try some Provia slides in 127 size eventually... I just have to get my slicing technique dialed in right. I've ruined too many rolls recently! Just when I thought I had all the bugs worked out of it.

Old 02-21-2018   #38
Prest_400
Multiformat

I have a couple Rolls of Provia 100F in 120 that I let expire. Meant to shoot them before 5/17 (their due date) but are still frozen.

And they are meant to go through (as an announcer would say), gorgeous, larger-than life, two and a quarter by three and a quarter professional format. Yes 6x9 slides are a sight to behold, and it's why I chose that Fuji RF. But it's been a year since I put slide through it!
I've been stuck at frame #4 of a Portra 400 roll. 35mm is stealing the show in the meantime.

Quote:
These days, for us, there is no money. Things are... tight. However, there always seems a way to find a little money for some slide film/120 film, etc. and it is well worth it because life is too short not to.
Alas Dave, true. I don't shoot much really and on average I may do a propack a month. That's 80 including processing for C41. It's money, but film photography is the guilty pleasure.

Joe, those Mexico shots are gorgeous. I was able to catch the tail end of Kodachrome and don't regret it. What an experience to shoot, slow and thoughfully, the few rolls I had. Though the result wasn't as strong because of inexperience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I know there are good labs around (I had opportunity to visit one in Germany, very good experience) but do not like the idea to send films around and anyway they are now expensive.
I've gotten used to batching and sending out because it's where the labs are. But for E6 it means separating it from the C41 so I either shoot more, or none. Means, I should shoot more!

I've gotten used to the polivalent nature of C41 that feel E6 is quite picky. Portra takes the harsh noon Mediterranean light better than Provia, or so I have consolidated in my mind...

Old 02-21-2018   #39
maigo

The family and I are off to Malaysia, Singapore and Japan next month. I’ll be bringing the GA645i and at least 5 rolls of Provia. Also some Portra 400 and Acros 100.
I don’t use either camera or slide film regularly at home but I like to take them traveling.
A medium format projector would be nice but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-21-2018   #40
samuelphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I was just warming up to Astia when they discontinued it. I thought it had a quality that struck me as "purity of color". I wish they still made it.
Oh, how I miss Astia! By far my favorite color film of any, followed by Velvia 50 but only for landscape work.