Super Rokkor 50 f1.8 ltm or Fujinon 50 f2 ltm
Old 08-04-2019   #1
Imakebadphotos

Super Rokkor 50 f1.8 ltm or Fujinon 50 f2 ltm

Has anyone used either one of these lenses before? What is your opinion on them? I heard good things about both of them, and I want to buy one of them, but I haven't seen that many reviews to make up my mind.

Old 08-04-2019   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I would just flip a coin and go with that.

Both are great lenses, although I find Rokkor lenses the closest to the classic German lenses in the way they draw out of all the Japanese lens makers and that is a plus IMO.

Old 08-04-2019   #3
Imakebadphotos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
I would just flip a coin and go with that.

Both are great lenses, although I find Rokkor lenses the closest to the classic German lenses in the way they draw out of all the Japanese lens makers and that is a plus IMO.
thanks for the input. I am leaning more to the Rokkor lens, I'm trying to find myself one non-leica LTM 50mm that gives a good image quality.

Old 08-05-2019   #4
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakebadphotos View Post
thanks for the input. I am leaning more to the Rokkor lens, I'm trying to find myself one non-leica LTM 50mm that gives a good image quality.
You might want to consider the Nikkor H 5cm f2 as well. It’s a great 50 that is available for reasonable prices.

Flickr

Old 08-05-2019   #5
Peter Jennings

Pretty much all lenses in this category give good to excellent image quality. It really comes down to what you prefer - both in how the lens handles and how it renders. I had copy of the Rokkor, and it gave great images. The lens was rather large and heavy compared to others and therefore I sold it. The Canon f/1.8 is also a good one that I have had that gave great results. The fast LTM 50s that I still have are the Nikkor f/2, Hexanon f/1.9, and Canon f/1.5.

Old 08-05-2019   #6
cassel

Thumbs up

I have the Super Rokkor now and use it regularly....

Never had the Fujinon. I really enjoy the Rokkor - it is more of a modern looking and handling lens than the others discussed here. I like that it is a bit bigger and that it's black - but, then, I bought it to pair with my black Canon 7.

Image quality is great -highly recommend!

My other fav 50 is the Canon f1.5

Old 08-05-2019   #7
james.liam

Quote:
You ought to seriously consider a Canon 50/1.8 LTM. First-rate, plentiful and inexpensive.

Old 08-05-2019   #8
Pioneer

Don't know about the Rokkor 50/1.8 ltm but I do have a nice little Rokkor 45/2.8 ltm lens that I enjoy a lot. Of course it isn't as fast as the f/1.8 lens but it is small, light and very easy to handle. It also takes great pictures as do most Rokkor lenses in my opinion.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 08-06-2019   #9
Imakebadphotos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
You might want to consider the Nikkor H 5cm f2 as well. It’s a great 50 that is available for reasonable prices.
hmm, I see some nice reviews about this lens I will check it out. thanks

Old 08-06-2019   #10
dourbalistar

Quote:
hmm, I see some nice reviews about this lens I will check it out. thanks
OP, any particular reason why you settled on either the Super Rokkor 50mm f/1.8 LTM or Fujinon 50mm f/2 LTM?

If you're doing some research on the Nikkor-H.C 5cm f/2 LTM, there's a nice thread with lots of image samples here on the forum:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...ad.php?t=90034

flickr

Old 08-06-2019   #11
Imakebadphotos

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
You ought to seriously consider a Canon 50/1.8 LTM. First-rate, plentiful and inexpensive.
so I am new to using an LTM camera and new to photography in general. when I looked up the Canon 1.8, I am shocked as to how affordable it is. To be honest, I thought it wouldn't be a good of a lens because of how little is being asked for it. why is that?

Old 08-06-2019   #12
Imakebadphotos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
OP, any particular reason why you settled on either the Super Rokkor 50mm f/1.8 LTM or Fujinon 50mm f/2 LTM?

If you're doing some research on the Nikkor-H.C 5cm f/2 LTM, there's a nice thread with lots of image samples here on the forum:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...ad.php?t=90034
a few google searches somehow brought me up to the super Rokkor and then later the Fujinon and I never heard of them nor heard much about them though I did like there designs. in new to the world of LTM and I never heard of that brand before. in my ignorance, the main brands I constantly see are Leica, canon, and the FED Jupiter lenses.

Old 08-06-2019   #13
james.liam

Quote:
so I am new to using an LTM camera and new to photography in general. when I looked up the Canon 1.8, I am shocked as to how affordable it is. To be honest, I thought it wouldn't be a good of a lens because of how little is being asked for it. why is that?
It's a great lens, don't let the price sway you. A sleeper lens, it was produced in much higher numbers than the ƒ/1.4, 1.2 and 0.95 versions of the 50 and more likely used by amateurs so they're not as beaten up. This is a great lens to dip your toes into legacy LTM glass

It's faster and smaller than the lenses you're looking for; the ones you mention were made in smaller runs and rarity accounts for some of the higher prices.

If you go searching for a 50/1.8, get one of the later ones, typically black and chrome rather than all-chrome.

Old 08-06-2019   #14
dourbalistar

Quote:
a few google searches somehow brought me up to the super Rokkor and then later the Fujinon and I never heard of them nor heard much about them though I did like there designs. in new to the world of LTM and I never heard of that brand before. in my ignorance, the main brands I constantly see are Leica, canon, and the FED Jupiter lenses.
The Head Bartender (aka site host) has a pretty comprehensive, but not exhaustive, list of LTM lenses and manufacturers:
https://www.cameraquest.com/ltmlens.htm

The Nikkor-H.C 5cm f/2 was my entry into the world of LTM lenses, and I now own several others. Lots of wonderful and unique lenses to choose from.

flickr

Old 08-06-2019   #15
james.liam

As addendum, the Nikkor ƒ/2 and ƒ/1.4 are both Sonnar designs, tend to focus shift stopped down. The Canon ƒ/1.8 and ƒ/1.4 are not a Sonnar design, IIRC. The rendering will be different. The Nikons are optimized for near-focus & wide-open apertures, the Canons, not so much.

Recall that the ƒ/1.4 LTM is the lens that 'made' Nippon Kogaku. The rest is history...

Old 08-06-2019   #16
dourbalistar

Quote:
As addendum, the Nikkor ƒ/2 and ƒ/1.4 are both Sonnar designs, tend to focus shift stopped down. The Canon ƒ/1.8 and ƒ/1.4 are not a Sonnar design, IIRC. The rendering will be different. The Nikons are optimized for near-focus, the Canons, not so much.
Yes, the lens designs are different. OP, there are also image threads here on the forum for the Canon 50/1.8 and the Canon 50/1.4. Hopefully that can give you an idea of what the lenses are capable of, and the image quality.

flickr

Old 08-06-2019   #17
hilltime

I have both and I would agree with (Xayraa33), find you best option, quality and price, and go with it, as in my experience, I couldn't necessarily tell the
difference between them, although I do believe I paid slightly more for the Fujinon. As an aside, Minolta made the same lens 50/1.8, for their Super A series of cameras, which can usually sell for half the price of a LTM 50/1.8 Rokkor. I don't recall you saying what type of body you'd be using the lens on? Film LTM or Digital...

Old 08-06-2019   #18
Imakebadphotos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltime View Post
I have both and I would agree with (Xayraa33), find you best option, quality and price, and go with it, as in my experience, I couldn't necessarily tell the
difference between them, although I do believe I paid slightly more for the Fujinon. As an aside, Minolta made the same lens 50/1.8, for their Super A series of cameras, which can usually sell for half the price of a LTM 50/1.8 Rokkor. I don't recall you saying what type of body you'd be using the lens on? Film LTM or Digital...
I'm currently using a canon Vl-L film camera that I found at a local thrift store. it only came with a canon 35mm f2.8, but no 50mm. given the advice from others on here, I'm looking at other alternatives but down the line, I will check out the Rokkor.

Old 08-06-2019   #19
Imakebadphotos

Quote:
It's a great lens, don't let the price sway you. A sleeper lens, it was produced in much higher numbers than the ƒ/1.4, 1.2 and 0.95 versions of the 50 and more likely used by amateurs so they're not as beaten up. This is a great lens to dip your toes into legacy LTM glass

It's faster and smaller than the lenses you're looking for; the ones you mention were made in smaller runs and rarity accounts for some of the higher prices.

If you go searching for a 50/1.8, get one of the later ones, typically black and chrome rather than all-chrome.
ah okay, that makes sense. in that case, I will look into the more accessible lenses and down the road, I'll check out the rare lenses like the rokkor. thanks.

Old 08-06-2019   #20
Imakebadphotos

Quote:
The Head Bartender (aka site host) has a pretty comprehensive, but not exhaustive, list of LTM lenses and manufacturers:
https://www.cameraquest.com/ltmlens.htm

The Nikkor-H.C 5cm f/2 was my entry into the world of LTM lenses, and I now own several others. Lots of wonderful and unique lenses to choose from.
wow it is easy to get lost down the rabbit hole for this lens system. thanks

Old 08-06-2019   #21
Imakebadphotos

Quote:
Yes, the lens designs are different. OP, there are also image threads here on the forum for the Canon 50/1.8 and the Canon 50/1.4. Hopefully that can give you an idea of what the lenses are capable of, and the image quality.
thanks for the tread links!

Old 08-06-2019   #22
Peter Jennings

Quote:
wow it is easy to get lost down the rabbit hole for this lens system.
We've all been there. Enjoy the journey!

Old 08-07-2019   #23
astrobuoy

I came across this test a few years ago comparing a few of the lenses mentioned here (namely the canon 50/1.4, 50/1.8, and super rokkor 50/1.8): https://lensqaworks.com/2018/05/01/r...a-md-50-f-1-4/

Old 08-07-2019   #24
ACullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Don't know about the Rokkor 50/1.8 ltm but I do have a nice little Rokkor 45/2.8 ltm lens that I enjoy a lot. Of course it isn't as fast as the f/1.8 lens but it is small, light and very easy to handle. It also takes great pictures as do most Rokkor lenses in my opinion.
Yes the Super Rokkor 45/2.8 LTM is a nice and very compact lens. The front rotates with focus but images are pretty nice. Swirly wide open. One lens not mentioned is the Topcor S 5cm/f2 . Excellent in all respects.

Old 08-07-2019   #25
Ccoppola82

Are you referring to the chiyoda kogaku super rokkor 50 1.8? If so, it actually surprised me with how good it is. VERY contrasty lens, well built, and small for a 1.8

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 08-07-2019   #26
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrobuoy View Post
I came across this test a few years ago comparing a few of the lenses mentioned here (namely the canon 50/1.4, 50/1.8, and super rokkor 50/1.8): https://lensqaworks.com/2018/05/01/r...a-md-50-f-1-4/
The writer's conclusion seems to be that while he ranked them, they weren't that far apart. No standout.

Old 08-20-2019   #27
IEDEI

i love my Super Rokkor 50 F1.8 sooooooo much.

I also have a mid 1970s Summilux 50mm and have always seemed to prefer the Super Rokkor. Have used both of them consistently alongside each other and have consistently reached for the Super Rokkor. Literally my favourite lens....a joy to use.

Old 09-03-2019   #28
Teemō

The Super Rokkor is an amazing lens. Good flare resistance, moderate contrast and good colour. It's deadly in the centre - way more so than later SLR Rokkors. Performance is good across the frame when stopped down but the coma never really goes away and therefore limits resolution. I am keen on a Fujinon and Topcor 1.8 to compare, but I suspect they will all be quite similar. Besides, those lenses are even rarer and therefore more unaffordable, for now.

I have an old album here and have since shot the lens much more. Here is another image shot wide open on Fuji C200, unedited. The preview here is a bit more compressed, so you are better off clicking the image to open it directly:

Old 09-03-2019   #29
james.liam

I have to say that I've never been crazy about the colors these lenses render. They were designed with B&W in mind and there's always something "off" to them. One's aesthetics will of course vary. Perhaps why the over-saturated Kodachrome was so beloved.

Old 09-03-2019   #30
Teemō

Quote:
I have to say that I've never been crazy about the colors these lenses render. They were designed with B&W in mind and there's always something "off" to them. One's aesthetics will of course vary. Perhaps why the over-saturated Kodachrome was so beloved.
Depends which lenses, and the definition of colour being referred to. Lateral chromatic aberrations are basically non-existent on a lot of these old lenses, to a similar degree as a lot of simple 3-4 element telephoto lenses from around the same period. Longitudinal CA is not the worst either.

Colour balance is not easily judged now as glass and coatings deteriorate over time. The single-coated lenses, if not the coating then the type of glass itself began to become UV-absorbing or reflecting post-war which was the main problem encountered by colour film. This Super Rokkor however, is multi-coated and perfectly suitable for colour photography. Any colour balance won't be too far from a neutral warm or cool unless the lenses contain radioactive glass which deteriorates, but even a basic single coating definitely helps to control contrast and therefore saturation too.

A lens designed for high quality black and white images still needs to be corrected for multiple colours, depending on the monochrome film available at the time.

Old 09-14-2019   #31
Imakebadphotos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemō View Post
Depends which lenses, and the definition of colour being referred to. Lateral chromatic aberrations are basically non-existent on a lot of these old lenses, to a similar degree as a lot of simple 3-4 element telephoto lenses from around the same period. Longitudinal CA is not the worst either.

Colour balance is not easily judged now as glass and coatings deteriorate over time. The single-coated lenses, if not the coating then the type of glass itself began to become UV-absorbing or reflecting post-war which was the main problem encountered by colour film. This Super Rokkor however, is multi-coated and perfectly suitable for colour photography. Any colour balance won't be too far from a neutral warm or cool unless the lenses contain radioactive glass which deteriorates, but even a basic single coating definitely helps to control contrast and therefore saturation too.

A lens designed for high quality black and white images still needs to be corrected for multiple colours, depending on the monochrome film available at the time.
I really appreciate your insight on this lens. I live how it renders a image wide open. This week I was fortunate enough to find a super rokkor for a good price. Although it has a cleaning marks, I dont think its going to be a problem. Cant wait to shoot with it!

Old 09-19-2019   #32
Teemō

I hope to see some of your images with it! I'll be getting some more of my own developed soon.