Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Linhof Tech 70 ...with...Biogon..!
Old 09-13-2019   #1
Emile de Leon

Linhof Tech 70 ...with...Biogon..!

Just got this set...decided to start back w/film after more than a decade of digital..and get my hands wet again...

Looked at the cost of sheet film these days and gasped..
So its roll film for now..
Wanted the 53mm Biogon for over 30 years..
Finally nabbed it..

The whole kit came in case with lots of extra "goodies"..pretty much at the same cost for 1 Biogon lens ..just a year ago..
Recession special...

Tech V 70 with 80mm F2.8 Zeiss Planar, 53mm Zeiss Biogon, & 180mm Zeiss Sonnar...
All cammed up and ready to go..
Wonderful condition!

Even the built in meter in the camera works and is accurate..
Havent been this excited about photography for awhile now..
Here is it..will develop the test film tonight..

Old 09-13-2019   #2
CharlesDAMorgan

Wonderful! Looks gorgeous.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar all gone.

Old 09-13-2019   #3
mbisc
Silver Halide User

Those lenses sound like they are for 120 film anyway -- AFAIK, none of them cover 4x5 sheet film...

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short for cheap film

Flickr
----------------------------------------------------------------

Old 09-13-2019   #4
madNbad

Did it come with a grip and is that a 6x7 or a 6x9 Super Rollex back? A very nice set, easy to see why you're excited!

Old 09-13-2019   #5
Noserider

Wonderful set up what a set of dream lenses. My same version 80mm Planar is a favorite lens on a Baby Graphic.

Old 09-13-2019   #6
Emile de Leon

Quote:
Wonderful! Looks gorgeous.
Thx man!

Quote:
Those lenses sound like they are for 120 film anyway -- AFAIK, none of them cover 4x5 sheet film...
I have sheet film cameras from 4x5 to 16x20 Wisner..the cost per sheet today over 15 years ago..is staggering..and even roll film..at $6- per..

I think the 180 Sonnar will cover 4x5..and 6x9 w/moves..

Quote:
Did it come with a grip and is that a 6x7 or a 6x9 Super Rollex back? A very nice set, easy to see why you're excited!
Yes..it came with a bunch of accessories..viewing magnifier 6x9 back..and right angle viewer etc..
But..

I really just got the kit for the Biogon..as I already have a Tech V reg style..(rangefinder on the side..) and planned to use the Tech 70 for spare parts..
But the 70 is so nice with built in rangefinder and Leica style viewfinder..I think I may like it better..as well as it is a portrait mode cam..which is really cool..

Quote:
Wonderful set up what a set of dream lenses. My same version 80mm Planar is a favorite lens on a Baby Graphic.
I have the Schneider Xenotar 80mm F2.8 on my other Tech V...and it is stunning..
I wonder how it will compare with the Planar..I will test shortly..
But truth be told..I think I may like the 2x3 Graphic better..as it is really just a great camera..

So I had to remember everything..to operate this camera right...as I forgot all that stuff after 10 years..
The Linhof will tolerate no fools..
As in..this cam has a million ways..to mess your shot up..or break the camera..

So..I got the film loading right..
And..

Every lens has a slightly different shutter makeup..I'm glad the Biogon has a self timer as my cable release wont work on the Linhof shutter w/o the lil adapter thingy..
The rest of the lenses I just used my finger to trip it..
I dont care for the grip w/cable..so I removed it..
So its..
Stick the lens on..make sure the cam is the right one for that lens...bring the bed to the proper setting for a specific lens (there are 3 different settings)..bring lens to the proper bed setting (there are 3 stops...) then drop the bed if using the Biogon..tilt Biogon back to make for parallel..open up lens and compose/focus..close and stop down..remove GG back...put film back on..advance film..cock shutter...remove darkslide..then..click..put darkslide back in..
Whew!

Then do it all again..for your next shot..lol..
In some ways..8x10 is a lot easier..
But that rangefinder.. for quick grab shots..is nice..
But it comes in at around 7 lbs..w/Biogon.
My 5x7 is 3lbs..and 8x10 is 9lbs..
So this is no lightweight..

The smaller "poolstick" Ries tripod seems to work great too with this format..just light enough..but so solid..unlike carbon fiber..
And the Bogen geared head..makes composition a breeze..

Will probably make a vid soon and upload to youtube if interested..
Now to develop the test film..
Better not be any light leaks..!

Old 09-13-2019   #7
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbisc View Post
It's a Technika 70—why would they need to cover 4x5"? The camera can't shoot it.

Old 09-13-2019   #8
Emile de Leon

I read somewhere that the 180 Sonnar covers 4x5..dont know if true or how well..
I have yet to test it out..maybe I'll do that tomorrow..

Old 09-13-2019   #9
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Just got this set...decided to start back w/film after more than a decade of digital..and get my hands wet again...

Looked at the cost of sheet film these days and gasped..
So its roll film for now..
Wanted the 53mm Biogon for over 30 years..
Finally nabbed it..

The whole kit came in case with lots of extra "goodies"..pretty much at the same cost for 1 Biogon lens ..just a year ago..
Recession special...

Tech V 70 with 80mm F2.8 Zeiss Planar, 53mm Zeiss Biogon, & 180mm Zeiss Sonnar...
All cammed up and ready to go..
Wonderful condition!

Even the built in meter in the camera works and is accurate..
Havent been this excited about photography for awhile now..
Here is it..will develop the test film tonight..

What an exquisite piece of kit. I'd probably have the 2x3" Super Technika but the Tech 70 is a gorgeous and unique-looking model. And the meter works, too. Doesn't get better.

I sort of fell into a time-warp Super Technika 4x5" kit a few years back—too original and intact to pass up—would have been mad to let it go. So I've stayed with that. But I always had a mind to track down a 2x3" Linhof—and the triple Zeiss lens set was the one I wanted. In Linhof Praktice there are one or two period images made with the 53mm Biogon (maybe featuring a 300SL Mercedes?). Soon as I saw them, I was converted!

You should check out the 70mm thread, too. With a Cine-Rollex back you could even choose to run some 6x7 70mm through it. Cal can tell you all about that.

Congratulations! That is a rare and beautiful find.
Cheers
Brett

Old 09-13-2019   #10
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
I read somewhere that the 180 Sonnar covers 4x5..dont know if true or how well..
I have yet to test it out..maybe I'll do that tomorrow..
I am travelling presently—but I can consult the relevant chart of lens coverages in my previously-mentioned Linhof reference book for you if you'd like when I return home early next week.
Cheers
Brett

Old 09-13-2019   #11
Emile de Leon

Quote:
I can consult the relevant chart of lens coverages in my previously-mentioned Linhof reference book for you if you'd like
Thx Brett! Would like to know that info.

Quote:
And the meter works, too
I was surprised it worked! And it even has the lil incident plastic attachment too.

Quote:
With a Cine-Rollex back you could even choose to run some 6x7 70mm through it
Now thats something to think about!