Old 10-24-2018   #161
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

M-D 262 makes sense for film shooter. ISO is where it should be.
This 8k piece of rangefinder is just moronic and overpriced camera.

Old 10-24-2018   #162
santino
eXpect me

Its as useful as Yashica digi film... not!
Leica, are you serious? C'mon...

Epson 1 - Leica 0

Old 10-24-2018   #163
splitimageview

Have never heard of an M wind lever breaking. Is the camera weather resistant? If not, there are plenty of places for moisture.

Old 10-24-2018   #164
santino
eXpect me

I wonder when will Leica drop the support for their new fotos app? There will be new versions of ios and android...

Old 10-24-2018   #165
airfrogusmc

The M 10 D is not in my future but Leica is one of the few companies not making cameras like all the others out there. I think that choice is a good thing. I will be buying a new M 10 before the end of the year. So if sales from things like this keeps them making cameras like the M 10 then in my opinion that is a good thing. Also I would imagine there is a M 10 MM in the future and i think that could be very interesting. Anytime a new camera comes out not everyone is happy. All you have to do is go to a ________ forum when the new model that most on that forum have and there is a ton of hate. Anytime there is a decision made there will alway be at least 10% that wont like that decision. Don't like the M 10 D? There are certainly plenty of other choices out there. You can always by one of those.

Old 10-24-2018   #166
maitani

had high hopes on this one, imo the M10 and M10p are great with no weakness, besides price.

the M10D did 2 things wrong. dummy film advance is a no-go, iso dial should be on the back.

i would be interested to know if:

1 when using visoflex, is a full menu as on M10 with settings and all is there?
2 can the connectivity thing be completely deactivated?

they came close with this one, battery less manual shutter cocking would hv been nice.but seem to have failed on the last meters. they should have released a M-D just thinner iso on the back M10 sensor and visoflex port

Old 10-24-2018   #167
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitani View Post
had high hopes on this one, imo the M10 and M10p are great with no weakness, besides price.

the M10D did 2 things wrong. dummy film advance is a no-go, iso dial should be on the back.

i would be interested to know if:

1 when using visoflex, would a full menu a on M10 with settings is available
2 if connectivity thing can be completely deactivated

they came close with this one, battery less manual shutter cocking would hv been nice.but seem to have failed on the last meters. they should have released a M-D just thinner iso on the back M10 sensor and visoflex port
Think about the R-D1, which was built around a real Bessa with complete cocking mechanism. In a stock M10 there would be no space for such thing.

Doesn't feel like they failed at the "last meter" since they will likely have to completely redesign the camera - to the extent that it might be called M7-D or something like that. I used to disregard any rumor of a R-D1 like digital M since it would not be cost-effective for Leica to commit the effort, but this time the photos did give me high hopes as well...

What makes me sad is Leica didn't fail to meet my expectation after all.

Old 10-24-2018   #168
YouAreHere

A camera so simple it requires connection to a smartphone app just to change the date setting. Not very M-like.

Old 10-24-2018   #169
Emile de Leon

Quote:
C'mon man!! I've been following him for years now... Literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard being said about Leica digital cameras within the first 6 secs of that video... "When you nail the shot with the MD its gives that WOW, I did that" I'm speechless... Some of the worst marketing speak I've ever heard in my life... But people will buy into it no question... The good news is for those who are using for a used M10 prices are going to be looking much better soon..
LOL..
Leica has been marketing their M's for years like this..since the film days..nothing new..
This is a funner toy..for the rich class..and for folks with $$ to burn..
What else are they gonna spend their loot on..
I want one...but would never use it..as I need a video option..esp for that kind of bread..
So add in the high price..the unreliability...and the special thumb grip..and its definitely a no no..
But..then you add in the sexiness..the rangefinder mystique...good resale value..and all the other great M attributes..
And it might just be worth it..
Esp for the older person..after a lifetime of work..and money in the bank..why the hell not...lol..

Old 10-24-2018   #170
airfrogusmc

Again I will not be buying the new D but Leica M digital fits the way I see and work. That is the reason I own them. Not because some marketing gimmick or any other reason than the one I stated. I never liked working with DSLRs and I owned them for over a decade. Dumped them 3 years ago and went all Leica digital M with absolutely no regrets.

I'm not rich, I am a working photographer but I always have put money into the tools I need.

If a camera like this or any other camera they make helps their bottom line then rock on Leica so you can continue to make real gems like the M 10 and the MM.

Old 10-24-2018   #171
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
lol...
LOL indeed.

Old 10-24-2018   #172
kshapero
Have not arrived

Love it but waiting on the Pixii.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 10-24-2018   #173
Huss

If the camera did not have the fake film winder, I'd understand it.
But I hate fake stuff. And the lever is fake. It's like buying a toy camera that has knobs that dont move or do anything. It's pretending to be something.

Old 10-24-2018   #174
d_c

I'm guessing it will only be a matter of time before we see the first collar mod to remove the 'thumb rest'. It has no switching function and so I imagine wouldn't be too onerous for somebody competent to remove.

Old 10-24-2018   #175
35photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Again I will not be buying the new D but Leica M digital fits the way I see and work. That is the reason I own them. Not because some marketing gimmick or any other reason than the one I stated. I never liked working with DSLRs and I owned them for over a decade. Dumped them 3 years ago and went all Leica digital M with absolutely no regrets.

I'm not rich, I am a woking photographer but I always have put money into the tools I need.

If a camera like this or any other camera they make helps their bottom line then rock on Leica so you can continue to make real gems like the M 10 and the MM.
I'm not sure why you or anyone else needs to state this... I find it odd... but that's just me. Who really cares if some chooses to drop 8k on a camera... big deal.... People buy expensive stuff all the time... cameras, cars, boats houses, TVs, clothes, stereos... whatever... Sorry didn't mean to pick on you here..

Old 10-24-2018   #176
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35photo View Post
I'm not sure why you or anyone else needs to state this... I find it odd... but that's just me. Who really cares if some chooses to drop 8k on a camera... big deal.... People buy expensive stuff all the time... cameras, cars, boats houses, TVs, clothes, stereos... whatever... Sorry didn't mean to pick on you here..
Doesn't mean you don't shake your head, particularly when it is something like an $8,000 camera with a wind lever that doesn't do anything. Some things deserve ridicule because they are ridiculous.

Old 10-24-2018   #177
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
If the camera did not have the fake film winder, I'd understand it.
But I hate fake stuff. And the lever is fake. It's like buying a toy camera that has knobs that dont move or do anything. It's pretending to be something.
Yet, people put thumbs up on cameras all of the time to replace the wind lever they got used to holding. I`m conflicted. Like you, I do not like fake things... but I like that you can fold this away unlike the thumbs up we discussed the other day. In this case, if someone gave me this camera, I would get over this fake item pretty quickly.

Old 10-24-2018   #178
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
A camera so simple it requires connection to a smartphone app just to change the date setting. Not very M-like.
You only set the date once no?

Old 10-24-2018   #179
35photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Doesn't mean you don't shake your head, particularly when it is something like an $8,000 camera with a wind lever that doesn't do anything. Some things deserve ridicule because they are ridiculous.
Ridicule away... I mean Leica has a history for doing stuff like this... this latest is nothing new at all.. gold plated cameras, limited editions....etc I view more as funny than anything else... but people buy it all the time... Although I do like how it integrates with the app... I know its been done before, but for Leica to do it on a M series pretty slick...

Old 10-24-2018   #180
Fraser

Just another overpriced pretentious piece of jewellery from Leica. Funny how much abuse the Df got when it was released because it went for the 'retro' look but at least everything on it actually does something.
Leica is so far from what the company used to be, you paid a premium for the quality and the compactness of the M. But now you pay for the 'look' and the out of date technology.
After saying all that I'm sure it will sell well.........

Old 10-24-2018   #181
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Yet, people put thumbs up on cameras all of the time to replace the rewind lever they got used to holding. I`m conflicted. Like you, I do not like fake things... but I like that you can fold this away unlike the thumbs up we discussed the other day.
A thumbs up is primarily used by people to pimp out their camera, but at least it is not something pretending to be something else.
Quote:
In this case, if someone gave me this camera, I would get over this fake item pretty quickly.
I'm pretty sure DAG could remove it for a nominal charge. It might even become one of his signature mods.

Old 10-24-2018   #182
Emile de Leon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HUHRjFuB-E

Old 10-24-2018   #183
Emile de Leon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-u3AoSV5e4

Old 10-24-2018   #184
jsrockit

Quote:
A thumbs up is primarily used by people to pimp out their camera, but at least it is not something pretending to be something else.
Of course a thumbs up is completely inspired by people who used the wind lever on a M as a grip. This is simply a grip... even if in the past it had a primary function in the past.

Old 10-24-2018   #185
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Just another overpriced pretentious piece of jewellery from Leica. Funny how much abuse the Df got when it was released because it went for the 'retro' look but at least everything on it actually does something.
It is a bit different... the Df got abuse because it was big and it didn`t have a screen conducive to manual focusing. I loved it, but people were expecting something different. The wind lever is a grip in this case, so it does something. It just doesn`t do the primary function it used to do.

Old 10-24-2018   #186
Fraser

Quote:
It is a bit different... the Df got abuse because it was big and it didn`t have a screen conducive to manual focusing. I loved it, but people were expecting something different. The wind lever is a grip in this case, so it does something. It just doesn`t do the primary function it used to do.
Leica may be marketing it as a grip but its main purpose is for posers to pretend they are shooting film like the good old days of photography.

Old 10-24-2018   #187
YouAreHere

Quote:
There is the Time setting as well. Travel across timezones and/or across the International Date Line. Does the camera Automatically reset itself?

Old 10-24-2018   #188
tightsqueez

This camera will sell well, in line with penile implants. The M-D line offers one thing an M10 doesn’t; self-discipline. For many that may seem priceless. However this is but worthless for people who can walk out the door and not look at their screen for days.

Iraq & Afghanistan https://www.flickr.com/photos/703557...7645044968305/

GRAVIORA MANENT ERGO BIBAMUS

Old 10-24-2018   #189
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Leica may be marketing it as a grip but its main purpose is for posers to pretend they are shooting film like the good old days of photography.
Maybe... like I said, I`m not that comfortable with it... but many who have used a film m are used to resting their thumb on the wind lever to grip the camera. Of course there was a reason... but I`m sure Leica saw the thumbs up and said... ok, let`s do it. I`m not comfortable with Leica in general these days, but I would use a Leica CL if it was half the price.

Old 10-24-2018   #190
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
There is the Time setting as well. Travel across timezones and/or across the International Date Line. Does the camera Automatically reset itself?
Ok, so you might have to set it a few times a year in that case...

Old 10-24-2018   #191
Larry Cloetta

Before the internet, if a company introduced a camera which did not fit everyone’s needs, no one knew it even existed until they went into a camera shop and saw a new one sitting on the counter. After talking to the sales person, you’d either consider buying it if you liked it and could afford it, or just say “hunh” and walk out with some film, if you didn’t. And forget about it.

These days the world’s total anger level rises perceptibly every time Leica introduces a new camera. People who have never bought a new Leica in their lives rush to their keyboards to tell perfect strangers, with obvious indignation, that they won’t be buying this one either. People seem incapable of just softly saying “hunh” to themselves and going on with the rest of their day.
“I am displeased with the feature set on this camera I will never experience!! World must know NOW!!!)

And it’s not “overpriced” just because you don’t have the funds available, or have them but would rather use them elsewhere. It is only “overpriced” if Leica can’t sell them, which is yet to be seen. Leicas have been expensive from day one, more than most people could afford. If they are actually “overpriced” that by definition means they will go out of business, and yet they seem relatively healthy, for a camera company. “Not worth the asking price to me because ‘x’” seems more accurate and fair. “I can get this other thing which seems just as good or better to me (reviews, specs!) for much less money.” Okay, just get that, but why do others need to know this?

I’m not buying one because, well, on the one hand “Hunh”, and/or I’d rather either buy something else wih the money, or hoard the money so the government can waste it after I die.

Not sure if we are going to reach “It’s just like Hitler”, but we are only on page 5.

Old 10-24-2018   #192
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
John,

To set the time and date on my SL I had to turn on the GPS.

Kinda funny I owned a rare 1980 Checker Limo that featured a vinyl top. Also had an opera window. Only about 200 limos ever made so a very rare car. Kinda ugly, but also cool.

Not unusual for cameras to have features we never use or don't need. LOL.

What about reframing the lever as a conversation piece.

Cal

Old 10-24-2018   #193
Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Before the internet, if a company introduced a camera which did not fit everyone’s needs, no one knew it even existed until they went into a camera shop and saw a new one sitting on the counter. After talking to the sales person, you’d either consider buying it if you liked it and could afford it, or just say “hunh” and walk out with some film, if you didn’t. And forget about it.

These days the world’s total anger level rises perceptibly every time Leica introduces a new camera. People who have never bought a new Leica in their lives rush to their keyboards to tell perfect strangers, with obvious indignation, that they won’t be buying this one either. People seem incapable of just softly saying “hunh” to themselves and going on with the rest of their day.
“I am displeased with the feature set on this camera I will never experience!! World must know NOW!!!)

And it’s not “overpriced” just because you don’t have the funds available, or have them but would rather use them elsewhere. It is only “overpriced” if Leica can’t sell them, which is yet to be seen. Leicas have been expensive from day one, more than most people could afford. If they are actually “overpriced” that by definition means they will go out of business, and yet they seem relatively healthy, for a camera company. “Not worth the asking price to me because ‘x’” seems more accurate and fair. “I can get this other thing which seems just as good or better to me (reviews, specs!) for much less money.” Okay, just get that, but why do others need to know this?

I’m not buying one because, well, on the one hand “Hunh”, and/or I’d rather either buy something else wih the money, or hoard the money so the government can waste it after I die.
I'm angry because I think Leica cameras are great and I still think my film Ms are the best cameras I've ever used, but when a company that years ago could make something so functional and nice to use release something so stupid.
Maybe they are not overpriced but they are certainly not very good value for money.

Old 10-24-2018   #194
Roger Hicks

Quote:

Not sure if we are going to reach “It’s just like Hitler”, but we are only on page 5.
Dear Larry,

Well, yes.

Imagine if more people knew about Alpas, old or new.

"This commercially successful camera doesn't suit me

and/or

I can't afford one

Therefore

There is no reason why they should exist, and nobody should be allowed to buy one."

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-24-2018   #195
tightsqueez

Quote:

Internet for some is like the honesty a few drinks will yield, yet it fails to provide credibility.

Iraq & Afghanistan https://www.flickr.com/photos/703557...7645044968305/

GRAVIORA MANENT ERGO BIBAMUS

Old 10-24-2018   #196
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
What about reframing the lever as a conversation piece.
No reframing required. The conversation is already underway. Leica must have nothing but contempt for their customers to introduce something like this. If someone actually tries to wind it, thinks it's jammed, and breaks off the lever, will it take nine months to repair? It's a Leica.

Old 10-24-2018   #197
jsrockit

Quote:
Leica must have nothing but contempt for their customers to introduce something like this.
Yeah, that`s exactly how you stay in business and create luxury stores.

Old 10-24-2018   #198
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Yeah, that`s exactly how you stay in business and create luxury stores.
Sadly, they know their market. Mostly bling seekers and a half a dozen photographers. Is anyone here actually doing to buy the M10-D? I know, you are too embarrassed to admit it.

Old 10-24-2018   #199
jsrockit

Quote:
Sadly, they know their market. Mostly bling seekers and a half a dozen photographers. Is anyone here actually doing to buy the M10-D?
Someone will... but it won`t be me or you I guess. I`ve moved on to cameras that work better for me.

Old 10-24-2018   #200
aizan

it’s just a thumb rest...

leicas are SO practical! hahahaaa...