Old 10-19-2018   #81
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
How do you transfer D3 files to the iphone. Only the X100F has wifi (and its not great)
You have to have one of those add-on Nikon wireless kludge adapters that send out images via smoke signals. I swear, if you were shooting in Brooklyn and had to get 20 images to an editor in Manhattan, it's quicker to take the Q or F train back to the office than to use the wifi adapters. Then again, maybe they got faster but are they backwards compatible with full speed using a D3?

Phil Forrest

Nostalgic
Old 10-19-2018   #82
Symeon

Nostalgic

Not a fake. The absence of an LCD and the advance lever (which turns on/off the camera) are Leica's attempt to recreate an old film Leica for the purist photographer who chooses digital. As usual let's wait for the shocking price.

Old 10-19-2018   #83
Godfrey
somewhat colored

All I can say is “Look how accurate all these rumors were when they were calling the new CM the bees’ knees.”

G

Old 10-19-2018   #84
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I still wish that they would care to put money into their service dept which is a complete joke. That is what is preventing me from buying another new Leica.
Yes. I have bought two new digital Leicas, but never again...after the last experience.

Old 10-19-2018   #85
Michael Markey

Quote:
I still wish that they would care to put money into their service dept which is a complete joke. That is what is preventing me from buying another new Leica.

Yes … short sighted of them not to do so.
I`ve followed the saga over the years sufficiently to convince me never to buy one .

Old 10-19-2018   #86
bayernfan

https://leicarumors.com/2018/10/19/m...d-camera.aspx/

looks to be the real deal.

Old 10-19-2018   #87
Oscuro
He's French, I'm Italian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
You have to have one of those add-on Nikon wireless kludge adapters that send out images via smoke signals. I swear, if you were shooting in Brooklyn and had to get 20 images to an editor in Manhattan, it's quicker to take the Q or F train back to the office than to use the wifi adapters. Then again, maybe they got faster but are they backwards compatible with full speed using a D3?

Phil Forrest
Darling Phil,
No no no, Caro. The Nikon dongle is useless. Simply useless. Use the Apple dongle and transfer using the USB cable! Very fast!!
Ciao bello
Mme. O

Old 10-19-2018   #88
Oscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
How do you transfer D3 files to the iphone. Only the X100F has wifi (and its not great)
Darling,
I used WiFi CF cards for a while but too slow. So now I and my husband we use Apple camera connect dongle and USB cable to D3. Yes it is wire but very fast!
Ciao,
Mme. O

Old 10-19-2018   #89
Oscuro

Also for the Fuji use the Apple SD card dongle. Very fast.
Kisses to all,
Mme. O

Old 10-19-2018   #90
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

On the assumption that this is reality:

If that advance lever doesn't serve a useful purpose (ie re-cocking the shutter as per Epson RD1) and is just there for well heeled hipsters wanting to take a film trip down memory lane (fantasy lane) they need ****ing.

Old 10-20-2018   #91
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

If that advance lever doesn't serve a useful purpose (ie re-cocking the shutter as per Epson RD1) and is just there for well heeled hipsters wanting to take a film trip down memory lane (fantasy lane) they need ****ing.
You `aint on your own in that opinion Keith.
It`s been treated with derision elsewhere especially given the fact that their after service would be more deserving of some investment.

It only goes to reinforce the view that Leica aren`t a serious player.
Which is a great shame.

Old 10-20-2018   #92
Emile de Leon

Hey..so what Leica service sucks...
You just have to buy 2 to 3...maybe 4..MD bodies...
Then you will always have 1 or 2 working at a time..
LOL..!

Old 10-20-2018   #93
Livesteamer

Owning three to keep one running. Wasn't that the case with the old Jaguar V 12? But when it ran! Joe

Old 10-20-2018   #94
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livesteamer View Post
Owning three to keep one running. Wasn't that the case with the old Jaguar V 12? But when it ran! Joe
Yeah but peeps put Chevy V8s in them and made Jagrolets.

Maybe that's what we should do with Leicas? Keep the body shell but gut the inside and put Nikon electronics in there. It would be a Likon.
That way:
a/ it won't break (!) and
ii/ if it does, it would be repaired in a week. Not 9 months.

Old 10-20-2018   #95
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Well, I might be more interested in the lever as a grip than a silly thumbs up attachment that just keeps sticking me in the chest because it cannot be folded away.

Old 10-20-2018   #96
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Well, I might be more interested in the lever as a grip than a silly thumbs up attachment that just keeps sticking me in the chest because it cannot be folded away.
Dood, that continuous poking really starts to hurt! It's why I use a wrist strap with my M240 with Thumbie, instead of neck strap.

Old 10-20-2018   #97
jsrockit

Quote:
Dood, that continuous poking really starts to hurt! It's why I use a wrist strap with my M240 with Thumbie, instead of neck strap.
Exactly...and I`ve had it ruin a shirt! I now just don`t use a thumbs up since Fujis are lighter than Leicas. I can only use wrist straps on smaller / lighter cameras...like the X100F or smaller.

Old 10-20-2018   #98
MikeL
Go Fish

The wind lever does not cock the shutter?
Like mammary glands on a male Bos taurus.

Old 10-21-2018   #99
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Nobody knows yet...but even if it does, it isn`t much better...

Old 10-21-2018   #100
Out to Lunch

As others have said: Leica goes Epson.

Old 10-21-2018   #101
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Like mammary glands on a male Bos taurus.
It should go through the full travel of the lever as a switch that cocks the shutter just to make people feel better. I don't put this past Leica at all. It's just novelty for the sake of novelty. A solution to a problem that didn't exist.

Phil Forrest

Old 10-21-2018   #102
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
t's just novelty for the sake of novelty. A solution to a problem that didn't exist.
Exactly.

Wouldn't surprise me, though. Leica digital Ms have that ridiculous removable base that makes the camera a joke for professionals: it's impossible to use the camera in the studio with a tripod because you can't remove the battery or SD card! And the base reduces the stability when on a tripod.

This from someone who was foolish enough to buy an M8...

(Yes, I know studio work is not the forte of a Leica M. But why deliberately design a camera to make it less efficient and useful!?)

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 10-21-2018   #103
a.noctilux

Rich,
Since M(type 240) Leica M has tripod socket attached to the main body.
Unlike the M8/M9 base plate, their base plates have a hole.
You are right for the antique way of taking off base to change SD or battery.

As this M10-D, we'll know more in few days what the lever is for.

Old 10-21-2018   #104
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Exactly.
But why deliberately design a camera to make it less efficient and useful!?
It's like one of those metal model cars you see at the end cap of a shopping aisle. The doors open, the hood opens, the trunk opens, the wheels turn, some even have articulating suspension. It is a new symbol for the imagination of the would-be player that hearkens back to the halcyon days of youth.
You can't get service for the toy car either...

I bought an M8 and M9. When they worked, they made great images. Never again though.

Phil Forrest

Old 10-21-2018   #105
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I've owned Leica M9, M-P 240, and M-D 262 digital M cameras. I've made 48,000 exposures with them. They have always worked just fine. The M9 came up with the sensor corrosion issue but it never stopped working; the M-P replaced it three-four weeks after I sent it to Leica for evaluation.

The Leica M was never intended to be a studio camera, btw. It's been used for that purpose, as well as tripod mounted for landscape and other field use, but that wasn't what it was designed for.

All of which does not say that the silly shutter wind lever on this alleged M10-D makes any sense at all, regardless of what it does or doesn't do.

G

Old 10-21-2018   #106
David Hughes
David Hughes

We have radios that don't need batteries because you wind them up and they work until the spring runs down and the generator stops. Then you wind it up again.

And there's torches that you wind up and they charge a battery and that lights the bulb until it runs down and then you wind it up again.

So I'm wondering if this is another wind up...

Regards, David

Old 10-21-2018   #107
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
......So i'm wondering if this is another wind up...

Regards, David
Perhaps a trigger winder might be an option.....

B2 (;->

Old 10-21-2018   #108
DougFord
on the good foot

It will be interesting if one needs to use the advance lever before each shot, like'a Leica film camera.
Perhaps rather than cocking the shutter is takes the device out of some sort of low power standby mode. Advance the lever, take a shot. Perhaps a timer is set before it goes back into standby mode. Take another shot quickly or you'll have to advance the lever again. Could be a PITA, like manual film camera PITA.

the walk

Old 10-21-2018   #109
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The measure of how much I love shutter cocking levers is that I just paid for a winder for the R6.2 I bought recently so that I could leave it folded and ignore it.

A film advance/shutter cocking lever is an unnecessary, dumb thing to put on a digital camera.

Old 10-21-2018   #110
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
A film advance/shutter cocking lever is an unnecessary, dumb thing to put on a digital camera.
The Epson R-D1 being an honourable exception... based on a Bessa chassis including its manual shutter, it needed the cocking lever. Unlike this Leica abomination.

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 10-21-2018   #111
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I'm heavily left eye dominant so you can figure out what I think of winder levers. That thumbs up thing on the M9 was awful for my forehead.
If there was a lighter and more compact version of the MD4 for the Nikon F3, I wouldn't ever touch another 35mm camera for serious shooting, and the regular MD4 is already really damned good.
This is why I loved cameras like both of the Hexars and especially the Nikon F4.

Phil Forrest

Old 10-22-2018   #112
GarageBoy

Isn't this what people have been wanting? A stripped down digital version of their film camera? Or has everyone who wanted one moved on/are retired?

Old 10-22-2018   #113
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Yes, to some extent, but largely useless winder levers are just silly.

Phil Forrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
Isn't this what people have been wanting? A stripped down digital version of their film camera? Or has everyone who wanted one moved on/are retired?

Old 10-22-2018   #114
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I like it. It feels good to do, which is pretty much the only reason I use an actual camera instead of my phone. It was my favorite thing about the R-D1. Honestly, by this logic, the entire camera is dumb and unnecessary. You only use a Leica because you enjoy how it looks and what it feels like to use. If you shoot a Leica, you've already bought in to the aesthetics of obsolescence.

It would be disappointing if this lever were just decorative, though. Can't say I'm fond of vestigial/nostalgic design elements unless they have a practical purpose.

Old 10-22-2018   #115
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
Perhaps a trigger winder might be an option.....

B2 (;->

If they also offer a motor drive to go with it, it might be a huge success with those who need to take a lot of pics quickly.

Old 10-22-2018   #116
Emile de Leon

Like it or not..these cams are intended for the hobbiest market.. a fun toy to play with..for the people that can afford it..
Like Rolex watches and any 2 seater sports car..not meant to be logical or practical..
There are loads of other options for that..

Old 10-22-2018   #117
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Like it or not..these cams are intended for the hobbiest market.. a fun toy to play with..for the people that can afford it..
Like Rolex watches and any 2 seater sports car..not meant to be logical or practical..
There are loads of other options for that..
We should indeed celebrate the hobbiest, the amateur. Because no matter how many professionals there may be and how much equipment they use and buy, there are and will always be several orders of magnitude more amateurs who love photography and are willing to put a lot of money into its development than there are professionals.

Professionals do photography because they might like it but more because they make a living from it. Amateurs do photography because they love it. The quality of what they produce is only different insomuch as as it reflects the amount of thinking and effort ... and money and time ... they each individually put into the pursuit.

The fact that Leica's largest audience is a lot of relatively well-heeled amateurs should surprise or disparage no one. The fact that many of them are amongst the finest photographers around speaks to their commitment and willingness to work at their craft.

G

Old 10-22-2018   #118
Emile de Leon

Quote:
The fact that Leica's largest audience is a lot of relatively well-heeled amateurs should surprise or disparage no one. The fact that many of them are amongst the finest photographers around speaks to their commitment and willingness to work at their craft.
I didn't say other wise..!
But that said..Leica at this time is a luxury item..

Old 10-22-2018   #119
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
I didn't say other wise..!
But that said..Leica at this time is a luxury item..
No more luxury than top o the line nikanons.

I happen to be a full time pro and have been for over 3 decades and my personal work is my hobby. So not that much different than a CPA that has photography as a hobby. I just happen to make my living at it and that is very different from what I do for me as the hobby part.

I find a camera that matches the way I see and work very practical. Leica M digital is that way for me. So there's the practical side.

Old 10-22-2018   #120
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

I bet DAG could install an advance lever on any digital M body

M10-DAG