Old 07-30-2018   #41
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Good to hear it works well with R lenses, Godfrey. I should go looking for a 19mm sometime.
Mine is the v1 R19mm ... a lovely old lens, but the front element is huge and heavy. The v2 R19mm is by all reports a better performer and is definitely a lot more compact—but it seems to sell for about double the price, which tends to be near $1800 for the v1 already.

Honestly, if I didn't already have the R19mm, I'd probably just buy the Elmarit-TL 18mm f/2.8 for the CL. It's a teensy little pancake lens that sells new for about $1300 and seems to perform about on par with the R19 v1. Or I'd spend the additional $1800 for the Super-Vario-Elmar-T 11-23mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH ... I might just do that latter anyway, I'm enjoying this camera so much, and just keep using the R19mm anyway.

G

Old 07-30-2018   #42
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
One aspect the CL clearly has over much of the competition is lens quality. ... The CL body alone is pricey, but not unreasonably so even when doing spec-sheet comparisons.
Absolutely. All of the TL series lenses are superb performers, by all reports, and the fact that you have access to using all the various Leica R lenses and M lenses, and all the third party M lenses too ... and unlike with so many other bodies people adapt these lenses to, they nearly all perform beautifully on the CL! ... gives the CL body a huge edge up over anything else in the class, IMO; never mind the succinct, simple control paradigm, excellent viewfinder, and excellent ergonomics of the CL.

Given that I already had a fairly complete selection of M and R lenses to use, the ~$3000 I spent for the new CL body is a good bit less than what I sold my SL body for, so in essence the CL put a good chunk of change back into my bank account.

Old 07-30-2018   #43
Emile de Leon

Hey Godfrey..do you like your CL...more than your MD..??

Old 08-01-2018   #44
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I rode my bicycle to Cupertino yesterday and had lunch with one of my buddies there. I had the camera with me with the notion of stopping to take some photos along the way there and back ... never did, but Cameron took a snap of me and I took a snap of him at the end of our lunch.

Leica CL + Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8
ISO 500 @ f/5.6 @ 1/50

ISO 640 @ f/5.6 @ 1/50

Enjoy! G

Old 08-01-2018   #45
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Hey Godfrey..do you like your CL...more than your MD..??
I'm still learning the CL so I'm concentrating on it a lot right now, but by and large I don't think it's a matter of "liking" the one more than the other at this point.

They're both very competent camera bodies, they can use the same lenses (although I tend to use the R lenses on the CL more than the M lenses), and the photo results out of them are so nearly identical in feel and rendering quality that if you just saw the photos in a blind test it would be difficult to tell them apart. Ergonomics-wise, in some ways they're quite similar and in other ways they differ radically, but both are very easy to learn and remember, and both are very easy to use. The CL has a lot more features than the M-D, which take a bit longer to suss out, and has customization options that the M-D doesn't, which also take time to understand how to apply and make the camera more suited to specific activities. The CL is a much more versatile camera because of its TTL viewfinder, and physically is just that little bit smaller, body wise, which allows it to fit into my bicycling bag more easily. The M-D's viewfinder is easier to work with in extreme lighting situations (in bright sunlight, because the dynamic range can't get blown out by the ambient light, and in very dark circumstances, because below a certain point it doesn't get delay jitters from being forced to refresh more slowly to be bright enough to see) but is mostly useless for precise framing with anything longer than a 90mm lens. The CL works beautifully with longer focal lengths, the only hitch there being holding it still enough to not have viewfinder jitters. The M-D is easier to focus with the ultrawide WATE and with wide lenses in general but framing is much less accurate.

I think if I could only have ONE camera (HAH!), I'd probably pick the CL due to its versatility, all else being equal, but that will never happen.

Like? I actually like them just about equally at this point and wouldn't be bugged at all if I grabbed the wrong bag on a rush out the door, presuming that I had two identical bags with a similar kit in each ready as a grab-n-go. I haven't yet come up against the situation where I need to say, "Hmm, which camera will I pick to be my only working camera for a five week trip?"

But that's going to happen pretty soon, and I haven't got any idea what whim will take me at that moment yet.

G

Old 08-01-2018   #46
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

A follow through is "Maggie's" CL with the 23 Cron-TL is a fast autofocus point and shoot. The 23mm translates into a 35mm FOV. This lens keeps the camera compact.

For small, compact, lightweight and fast the CL with the 23 Cron is a good every day carry. With the strap it comes with I don't need a bag.

Cal

Old 08-01-2018   #47
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
A follow through is "Maggie's" CL with the 23 Cron-TL is a fast autofocus point and shoot. The 23mm translates into a 35mm FOV. This lens keeps the camera compact.

For small, compact, lightweight and fast the CL with the 23 Cron is a good every day carry. With the strap it comes with I don't need a bag.

Cal
Very nice Cal... I`m a little bit jealous!

Old 08-01-2018   #48
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Very nice Cal... I`m a little bit jealous!
John,

When you get to NYC in September I'll try to steal back the CL. You can go shooting with it. Just bring a spare SD card.

I find using it in auto with single point focus as being best. The left dial is the control for exposure compensation, so I use this dial to offset exposure in needed.

In use this is mucho fast. I also turned off and dumded down the camera to make it even more basic.

Even the leather strap is basic with no adjustment. Little details like the strap rings are minimal in size.

Cal

Old 08-01-2018   #49
Emile de Leon

Thx for the detailed response Godfrey!

Old 08-01-2018   #50
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
I find using it in auto with single point focus as being best. The left dial is the control for exposure compensation, so I use this dial to offset exposure in needed.

In use this is mucho fast. I also turned off and dumded down the camera to make it even more basic.

Even the leather strap is basic with no adjustment. Little details like the strap rings are minimal in size. ...
I would imagine that, with AF lenses, the Face Recognition setting might work very well too for street shooting. I have only manual focus lenses so the AF settings (and scene modes, etc) are of no use to me.

I've been figuring out my 'standard' configuration for the CL and have edited the functions accessible for right button and FN button down to the minimum set that I actually use. I almost never change the right button from ISO, so that's the only option there, and all the other options I use more occasionally are set on the FN button with one slot to spare. I normally have it either in Self Timer selection mode or EV Compensation mode (for Manual exposure shooting where exposure time is on the left wheel; normally EV comp is on the left wheel). Focus magnification is on the right wheel. Most other options I use frequently enough fit onto the Favorites menu page when I press the Menu button.

I also have two user setups now: standard ones for the 28 and the 50 lens. Other lenses I just switch the lens profile to suit. Today I'll create a specialized setup that I use over and over again for the negative copy work, and edit down the button assignment options even more tightly.

Set up this way, the camera is fast and quick to use in nearly all circumstances.

Since I'm using the CL so frequently with copy stand and tripod (doing tabletop, close up, and negative scanning, etc), I wanted a strap that allowed me to easily remove it—it helps to NOT have another thing flopping about on the fixtures to catch on me and pull the rig over with. I settled on the Peak Design "Leash" strap and leave a pair of Anchors on the camera all the time. It's a nice, comfortable strap for a lightweight camera and the anchor setup works very well.

G

Old 08-01-2018   #51
helenhill
Mod chasing Shadows Light

Thanks ALL ... especially Godfrey, Mike, Cal~Maggie & Jim
for the photos / hands on experience

still thinking of getting One... like what I 'see'
Cheers~ H

Old 08-01-2018   #52
jsrockit

Quote:
John,

When you get to NYC in September I'll try to steal back the CL. You can go shooting with it. Just bring a spare SD card.

Thanks Cal, but it is ok. I have no plans of buying one, so I might end up liking it too much. The Fuji X100F is fine for me. Also, I'm not a fan of the size of the 35mm 1.4 for the CL which is my go to focal length. As you know, I prefer AF so simply slapping an old MF lens on it doesn't work for me either. I'm cool with my Fuji's...X100F, X-Pro2, and X-E3. I really love them.

Old 08-01-2018   #53
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Thanks Cal, but it is ok. I have no plans of buying one, so I might end up liking it too much. The Fuji X100F is fine for me. Also, I'm not a fan of the size of the 35mm 1.4 for the CL which is my go to focal length. As you know, I prefer AF so simply slapping an old MF lens on it doesn't work for me either. I'm cool with my Fuji's...X100F, X-Pro2, and X-E3. I really love them.
John,

I understand about the 50mm FOV. I kinda outgrew my usage of wides. I still use them but 50mm FOV is clearly my fav.

As for large lenses I already own the 50 Lux-SL which is gigantic, massive, and heavy. Could Leica have built it bigger? LOL.

I love this lens though, the rendering wide open is great, and stopped down it really performs. I wonder why not many people rave about how it renders. Really a perfect lens that is mighty smooth.

When it becomes available I will orde the 35 Cron SL. AF has spoiled me.

BTW that black rubber bracelet that says, "MONSTER" looks really evil on my SL with 50 Lux-SL.

Cal

Old 08-01-2018   #54
MCTuomey

Quote:
Between my small Leica kit and my Fuji kit, if I could only have one, it would likely be Fuji. More versatile without major compromises, at more reasonable cost.

My Flickr

Old 08-01-2018   #55
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post

Cheers~ H
Helen, if you get one I see you unloading it soon after the novelty period has worn off. And going back to your film camera!

Old 08-01-2018   #56
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Helen, if you get one I see you unloading it soon after the novelty period has worn off. And going back to your film camera!
oops forgot to Thank You too , Huss !

Yes, well I have had that thought too but One never knows...
It always so Wonderful to 'fall in love' with 'something'... wink,wink

Old 08-01-2018   #57
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
oops forgot to Thank You too , Huss !

Yes, well I have had that thought too but One never knows...
It always so Wonderful to 'fall in love' with 'something'... wink,wink
Helen,

Life is all about passion and romance.

Cal

Old 08-01-2018   #58
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:

Cheers~ H
Hi Helen,

Glad to be helpful and informative for you. Whether it's the right camera for you, only you can say ... and probably only after a little time to learn and use it.

I find myself using it much like I used to use the original film Leica CL: Carried with only a 28mm and 50mm lens, giving near to what a film CL with the CL's standard lens set of 40mm and 90mm tele lenses did in terms of FoV.

I use my R-mount lenses, but I could just as easily switch to the Color-Skopar 28/3.5 and 50/2.5 if I want to save on weight and size when carrying. The CL body seems to work well with almost any lenses I throw on it.

Fun fun fun,
G

Old 08-01-2018   #59
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
It's hard for me to see how an M lover gets along with an EVF, however good it is. There's nothing quite like seeing the world through an optical window finder and framelines.
When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical
And the scene through the optical viewfinder , captured on film so happily
Oh joyfully, playfully rangefinder focused my me
But then they showed me digital to teach me how to be sensible
Logical, oh repeatable, electronic vision
And they showed me a world where I could capture so much detail
Oh clinical, oh intellectual, photoshop-able

There are times when all the world's asleep
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
Please tell me why I switched to digital
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 08-01-2018   #60
pyeh

FrozenInTime, great riff on that otherwise execrable Superbland song.

Old 08-02-2018   #61
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
It's hard for me to see how an M lover gets along with an EVF, however good it is. There's nothing quite like seeing the world through an optical window finder and framelines. To quote the woman herself, "YUMMY!"
The answer is that I’m not an “M lover” or even a camera “lover”. I enjoy the technology and all of the devices and gizmos. But it is photographs I love. Whatever helps me make the photographs I see in my mind is all that matters.

The viewfinder, any viewfinder, is just another tool.

Old 08-22-2018   #62
Godfrey
somewhat colored

[i]Leica CL + Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8
ISO 800 @ f/4 @ 1/50[i]

enjoy!
G

Old 08-25-2018   #63
Godfrey
somewhat colored

A couple of photos at the Manx GP Senior race, 2018:

Both: Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/250 (approximately)

Enjoy!
G

Old 08-25-2018   #64
farlymac
PF McFarland

Thanks, Godfrey, for all the info. Hope I hit the lottery before the end of September so I can take advantage of the free M adapter.

PF

Old 08-28-2018   #65
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Lovely day on the Isle of Man:

Cup, Spoon, & Sugar

Enjoy!
G

Old 08-28-2018   #66
Michael Markey

Always lovely on the Island …. many happy memories as a child on holiday there.
Got some lovely tones going on there.

Old 08-29-2018   #67
Godfrey
somewhat colored

From yesterday:

Green Motorcycle - Peel, Isle of Man 2018

Enjoy!
G

Old 08-29-2018   #68
helenhill

Very Nice Jim & Godfrey !

I love the R 28 Elmarit G. , draws beautifully

Old 08-29-2018   #69
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Very Nice Jim & Godfrey !
I love the R 28 Elmarit G. , draws beautifully
Yes, it's a lovely lens! I can only describe it as being beautifully "quiet". It doesn't shout out any particular flaws or overwhelming 'smack you in the face' feats. It does its job with even-handed restraint and lets you make your statement without getting in the way.

G

Old 08-31-2018   #70
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Last day of racing for ManxGP 2018...

Two Bikes Passing
Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4

Enjoy!

Old 09-02-2018   #71
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Window and Phone Box
Peel, Isle of Man 2018

This morning at the Peel breakwater, it was soft and drizzly, blowy, and I had problems getting the focus correct. I realized, after looking at the exposures I made, that the soft focus was actually part of what I was seeing ... Not exactly what I wanted, but eh? It works in a fashion. I do want to head back there tomorrow and get something a bit more sharp ... and the light will likely be entirely different.

Ach, just one more full day on the Island and then off to England! I love this place.

enjoy,
G

Old 09-08-2018   #72
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
Guess I was looking for images shot by folks here on the RFF.

I'm fairly proficient in the Google.
Quite a bit of overlap between the forums, often the same people...

jaapvphotography

Old 09-08-2018   #73
Godfrey
somewhat colored

On the Thames - Lechlade, UK 2018
ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/100

Enjoy! G

Old 09-10-2018   #74
Godfrey
somewhat colored

At the Tate Modern - London 2018

Enjoy! G

Old 09-11-2018   #75
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I have to say: the Leica CL is meeting and exceeding all my expectations so far. I've only rendered a subset of the photos I've made with it on this trip, and to a one, they're all looking fantastic technically. (Regards whether they're "great art" or not, well, Time will judge that better than these quicklooks. )

The Small Wood by the Green - Royal Naval Observatory, Greenwich 2018
ISO 320 @ f/4 @ 1/50

enjoy,
G

Old 09-18-2018   #76
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Seagull, Steel Water, and Horizon - Eastham, MA 2018
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/320

Enjoy!
G

A Quick Review
Old 09-18-2018   #77
jlphoto

A Quick Review

Retired medical/commercial shooter here, using Leica since 1972.
I've only had the camera since June, but here are some points:
I use all my old M lenses, and am having a ball with my Summar, Summitar and Elmar.
Camera feels like a Leica, works like one, dead easy and accurate. Pick it up, turn it on, set aperture, shoot. No fuss, no muss.
Wonderful files, just watch your highlights, like all digital. Or like chromes.
Miss the M-4? Sometimes, but the viewfinder is beautiful. And the quick magnification suits my old eyes.
Love the 50mm as 75 mm, I believe it suits the camera.
Maybe someday I will get a zoom lens, to make it more of a travel camera. But I have a D-109 for that (fine camera also).
I'm afraid the CL-D has killed my interest in acquiring other cameras.
JimL

Old 09-19-2018   #78
Godfrey
somewhat colored

From a beautiful day's outing in Provincetown:

Oglers - Provincetown, MA 2018
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/100

Enjoy!
G

Old 09-26-2018   #79
Godfrey