Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

Lux 50 v2 and Lux 75 same design? Similar fingerprint?
Old 09-20-2019   #1
SimonPJ

Lux 50 v2 and Lux 75 same design? Similar fingerprint?

Apparently the 75 Lux was based on Mandler’s 50 Lux. (The schematics do look very similar).

How much similarity do you see between images from them?

I hadn’t made a strong link between them before reading about this. The 50 doesn’t have quite such a smooth transition from the plane of focus that’s so characteristic of the 75. But maybe that’s just the effect of the difference in focal length?

Old 09-20-2019   #2
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonPJ View Post
Apparently the 75 Lux was based on Mandler’s 50 Lux. (The schematics do look very similar).

How much similarity do you see between images from them?

I hadn’t made a strong link between them before reading about this. The 50 doesn’t have that very smooth transition from the plane of focus that’s so characteristic of the 75. But maybe that’s just the effect of the difference in focal length?

There is a high likelihood that’s

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 09-21-2019   #3
SimonPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
There is a high likelihood that’s
Oops. Tapatalk evidently doesn’t like apostrophes. Edited it now.

Old 09-21-2019   #4
a.noctilux

Yes and no.
I use the two Summilux-M for decades on film and sensor, each has it's own fingerprint.
The conception is similar but in use (and photos resulting of...) has small similitude.

The 50mm is far easier to use/focus and gives less "misfocus" than the 75mm (mine is well calibrated) , even with magnifier used WO and close distance.
The 75mm hide a good portion of the VF.

Aperture opening in 50mm is rounder than some "ninja stars" of the 75mm seen in high light background (so I tend to avoid using those f/2.8 to f/4.5 on 75mm ! )

In use, each can not replace the other, so I take the one I plan to use having plenty time to learn to know them.

Anyway these "old design" Summilux-M (thanks Mandler) can give pleasing pictures with subtle color hues that I can not find in more modern (asph.) Summilux or Apo-Summicron-M which are "more perfect" but lack some "human sensivity" or "roundness" in final pictures.

Arnaud

Old 09-21-2019   #5
SimonPJ

IMG_4053.jpg

Summilux 50 v2

Old 09-21-2019   #6
SimonPJ

IMG_4052.jpg

Summilux 75

Old 09-21-2019   #7
SimonPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.noctilux View Post
Anyway these "old design" Summilux-M (thanks Mandler) can give pleasing pictures with subtle color hues that I can not find in more modern (asph.) Summilux or Apo-Summicron-M which are "more perfect" but lack some "human sensivity" or "roundness" in final pictures.

Arnaud

I absolutely agree with you on this, Arnaud - as many would. The Mandler look has a very distinctive colour signature, which is not easy to describe, but quite easy to recognise - something weightier and more intense - especially compared to the lighter, airier feel of the Aspheric lenses, such as the current 50 Lux.

But looking now at some examples of images from both, I do see, along with strong similarities in colour signature, similar out of focus rendering.

As you say, the difference in focal length makes a big difference to the ease of focusing wide open. It also makes quite a difference in terms of overall look. In portraits with the 50 Lux, the subject’s face is likely to be smaller and therefore to sit more within the central zone of higher resolution and sharpness. In portraits with the 75 Lux, in which the face is more likely to fill more of the frame, the falling off in sharpness beyond the centre of the image is more noticeable, with de-focus evident on the sides and top and bottom of the face.

Which might explain why, despite the similarity in optical design, it is not immediately obvious that these lenses are close relatives. Focal length makes quite a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 09-21-2019   #8
raid
Dad Photographer

Thanks for thee posts. I am untrusted to get one day a 50mm non asphalt Lux. I have a 35mm Lux and a 75mm Lux but not the 50mm Lux.

http://raid.smugmug.com/