Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

OM1n shutter issue
Old 09-16-2019   #1
nickthetasmaniac

OM1n shutter issue

Gíday everyone.

Iíve just picked up a OM1n. It was very cheap and I bought it assuming it would probably need work.

Everything appears to be in order except - the shutter fires cleanly but doesnít seem to change speeds. Ie. it will fire at every position of the shutter ring (including B), but it always sounds like itís firing at about 1/125.

It this a known issue with OM1ís? Terminal or an easy fix?

Iím not at all familiar with the OM system so any advice would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 09-17-2019   #2
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

I had an OM1 with a similar fault - all shutter speeds below 1/30 sounded like 1/30. The late Michael Spencer serviced the camera and everything worked fine. I am pretty sure a service can sort it out if you feel it worth it.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 09-17-2019   #3
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
I had an OM1 with a similar fault - all shutter speeds below 1/30 sounded like 1/30. The late Michael Spencer serviced the camera and everything worked fine. I am pretty sure a service can sort it out if you feel it worth it.
Do you know what the issue was?

On mine every speed sounds the same, from B - 1/1000...

Old 09-17-2019   #4
wpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Do you know what the issue was?

On mine every speed sounds the same, from B - 1/1000...
Most likely, the linkage between the shutter speed dial around the lens mount and the shutter speed timing assembly in the bottom of the camera has broken. Could be as simple as tightening the screws on the lens mount all the way to a completely broken shutter timing assembly. You can watch its function if you lock up the mirror and remove the shroud at the base of the mirror box. It is (originally) held in with a light adhesive.

Old 09-17-2019   #5
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

The service manual is available online Nick. If you have trouble finding it, let me know.

Old 09-17-2019   #6
zuiko85

If you are in the US, then John at Camtech will do a good job for a reasonable price. He is a one man operation and is always backed up so when he gets your camera it goes in the line and waits it’s turn. That could be 3 months or more. The good thing is, all OM-1 repairs include a internal conversion to modern 1.5v SO meter battery. That has worked perfectly on my OM for over 10 years now.
If you can stand the wait, and want a completely refurbished camera that will last many years then in my opinion, Camtech is worth the price and wait.
His website is zuiko.com

Old 09-17-2019   #7
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
The service manual is available online Nick. If you have trouble finding it, let me know.

http://learncamerarepair.com/product...=2&secondary=9

Old 09-17-2019   #8
nickthetasmaniac

Thanks for that Chris