Old 09-14-2019   #121
CharlesDAMorgan

Thanks Dourbalister!

I found some spooled UN54 today so will give that a go and see how I get on.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 09-14-2019   #122
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
Thanks Dourbalister!

I found some spooled UN54 today so will give that a go and see how I get on.
No problem! Like I said, I've never tried UN54, so looking forward to seeing your results.

flickr

Old 09-14-2019   #123
dourbalistar

Nikon FM2n, Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2, ORWO N74+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6.5 minutes.

2019.03.30 Roll #200-03358-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

2019.07.21 Roll #214-03796-positive.jpg

2019.07.21 Roll #214-03801-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 09-16-2019   #124
Guy Pinhas

So I got curious, and got in contact with the DE office and asked for prices on a 400ft reel. Incredibly reasonable price and the break down per 36 exposure roll is really great. Interesting enough this is what I was told as I am grabbing one of the last bulk roll "Please be informed the production of N74 is discontinued. The successor is N75 with a sensitivity of 320 ASA." Figured I would share in the info.

Old 09-16-2019   #125
CharlesDAMorgan

Very interesting!

How much did the price break down to per roll Guy?

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

Old 09-16-2019   #126
Guy Pinhas

Quote:
Very interesting!

How much did the price break down to per roll Guy?
If my calcs are correct, 3.20 per 36 exp roll. 18 rolls per 100ft and since there are 400ft 18x4=72. So that by 3.20 makes is 230.00 and change and that includes shipping from DE to NL. Since I run a business I am not being charged for the VAT but with 21% VAT on top, well you do the math

Old 09-16-2019   #127
CharlesDAMorgan

Many thanks! That is very competitive indeed.

Old 09-16-2019   #128
Guy Pinhas

Quote:
Many thanks! That is very competitive indeed.
Yeah and the grain looks really nice and reminds me of Fomapan 400 but also of Eastman XX which is what this film is sort of aims to be. And since I Like both Fomapan and XX, I think this will work fine. Basically a little bit more old school looking?

Old 09-16-2019   #129
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Pinhas View Post
So I got curious, and got in contact with the DE office and asked for prices on a 400ft reel. Incredibly reasonable price and the break down per 36 exposure roll is really great. Interesting enough this is what I was told as I am grabbing one of the last bulk roll "Please be informed the production of N74 is discontinued. The successor is N75 with a sensitivity of 320 ASA." Figured I would share in the info.
Very, very interesting. I've been shooting through a 100-foot bulk roll of N74+ this year, and been the only one flogging this thread with posts of late. I still have two more bulk rolls in the freezer, but the prospect of the succeeding N75 is intriguing. Guy, did ORWO DE give any indication when N75 would be released, whether there would be any announcement, or where it would be carried/distributed? I got my N74+ from ORWO NA, which is the North American distributor for ORWO films.

Also kind of makes me wonder about Lomography's "new" (but out of stock) Berlin Kino, which as far as I can tell is re-spooled N74+.

flickr

Old 09-16-2019   #130
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post

Also kind of makes me wonder about Lomography's "new" (but out of stock) Berlin Kino, which as far as I can tell is re-spooled N74+.
I am comparing the Potsdam 100, which I think is uN54, with a roll of the genuine stuff, but the Lomography is a lot more expensive (there's a surprise...). I'll see what the results bring.

Old 09-16-2019   #131
Guy Pinhas

Quote:
Guy, did ORWO DE give any indication when N75 would be released, whether there would be any announcement, or where it would be carried/distributed? I got my N74+ from ORWO NA, which is the North American distributor for ORWO films.

No indication but I'll ask those guys. They've been very good with communication.

Who knows what Lomo is up to. Even though I don't use their stuff, I am happy they're around. Film is film and a camera, however cheap it might be built is still a camera and I have seen some great results coming out of those. So yeah, Lomo, keep on keeping on.

Old 09-16-2019   #132
Guy Pinhas

Quote:
I am comparing the Potsdam 100, which I think is uN54, with a roll of the genuine stuff, but the Lomography is a lot more expensive (there's a surprise...). I'll see what the results bring.
Kind of insane what you can get away by rebranding but I think so many companies do that. Not just in photography.

Old 09-16-2019   #133
dourbalistar

Quote:
Kind of insane what you can get away by rebranding but I think so many companies do that. Not just in photography.
True, but just because many companies do it, that still doesn't make it ok. I agree that Lomo is generally doing a good job supporting analog photography. What I don't agree with is that they seem to purposely obfuscate what their film actually is, market it as "new", and then gouge people who don't know better.

I would much prefer marketing that's up-front, like Film Photography Project who clearly state that they spool down film stocks from larger master rolls into individual cassettes.

flickr

Old 09-16-2019   #134
Guy Pinhas

Quote:
True, but just because many companies do it, that still doesn't make it ok. I agree that Lomo is generally doing a good job supporting analog photography. What I don't agree with is that they seem to purposely obfuscate what their film actually is, market it as "new", and then gouge people who don't know better.

I would much prefer marketing that's up-front, like Film Photography Project who clearly state that they spool down film stocks from larger master rolls into individual cassettes.
100% agree with you. We're deffo on the same page. two wrongs don't make a right etc. FFP are the real deal, no doubt about that. Bought my first bulk of Double X from them.

Old 09-16-2019   #135
dourbalistar

Quote:
Bought my first bulk of Double X from them.
Me, too! I liked that film a lot, but it was a bit too slow for my own general shooting. Comparing Double-X to N74+, I find their look pretty different. I liked Double-X's tonality and contrast, but highlights tended to blowout easily. On the other hand, N74+ holds highlights surprisingly well, and has a very interesting grain structure as you noted.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your 400-ft bulk roll of N74+, and hopefully you can share some results here.

flickr

Old 09-16-2019   #136
CharlesDAMorgan

I'm not testing any more Lomography Orwo acquired film. The Potsdam 100 had an horrendous plastic capsule that was an utter pig to remove in my changing bag. The film packaging said made in China, which is where it was possibly re-spooled. Film base is of high qualilty but no manufacturer markings - not sure yet if there's any on the N74+.

Old 09-17-2019   #137
Guy Pinhas

Quote:
Me, too! I liked that film a lot, but it was a bit too slow for my own general shooting. Comparing Double-X to N74+, I find their look pretty different. I liked Double-X's tonality and contrast, but highlights tended to blowout easily. On the other hand, N74+ holds highlights surprisingly well, and has a very interesting grain structure as you noted.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your 400-ft bulk roll of N74+, and hopefully you can share some results here.
I'll deffo post when I can.

I haven't had any issues with blown highlights with XX and I am not gentle in my development process. I don't agitate like a mad man but I do Rodinal 1:25 (10ml per roll in a 4 roll tank) with ten seconds agitation every minute for 15 minutes and I push to 1600. on top of that my metering skills are not the best and I tend to overexpose so technically I should have issues with blown highlights and even though they are close to being blown, it's generally speaking very manageable which is why I like XX a lot as it is incredibly forgiving. My two cents for what they're worth.

Old 09-17-2019   #138
Guy Pinhas

Quote:
I'm not testing any more Lomography Orwo acquired film. The Potsdam 100 had an horrendous plastic capsule that was an utter pig to remove in my changing bag. The film packaging said made in China, which is where it was possibly re-spooled. Film base is of high qualilty but no manufacturer markings - not sure yet if there's any on the N74+.
I'll let you know once I spool my film as far as markings.

Old 09-17-2019   #139
CharlesDAMorgan

Some very interesting results from the Potsdam Kino 100. I'll save them for a thread with the Orwo uN54 when I've completed that roll (all the same camera and lens to make comparisons easier). The only flaw so far is a small number of negative scratches, and I'm inclined to think my fight with the nasty plastic capsule might have something to do with that.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #140
dourbalistar

Quote:
The only flaw so far is a small number of negative scratches, and I'm inclined to think my fight with the nasty plastic capsule might have something to do with that.
Charles, where are the scratches on your Potsdam Kino negatives? I had horizontal scratches across almost all of my bulk-loaded N74+ negatives. All the scratches ran horizontally, intermittently in a line. Thankfully, it was only one horizontal scratch, rather than across several spots on the negative. I'll see if I can post an example later.

I used several different cameras, so I don't think the scratches were from the pressure plate or other in-camera source. I also don't think it's from the plastic re-usable cassettes either, because I've used them before with other bulk loaded films with no issue. My only other hunch is my bulk loader, and I'll have to see if the issue crops up in my next roll of bulk loaded (non-ORWO) film.

Anyway, just wondering if it might be an ORWO production issue. Like I said, a minor annoyance for me that I cloned out in digital post processing, but could be a much bigger annoyance if you have to wet print scratched negatives.

flickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #141
dourbalistar

Quote:
Some very interesting results from the Potsdam Kino 100.
Charles, perhaps you can share your Potsdam Kino results to this thread on the forum?
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=168306

flickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #142
dourbalistar

Quote:
I'll let you know once I spool my film as far as markings.
Lomography used to have a "tipster guide" cookbook page for Berlin Kino on their website that clearly showed ORWO edge markings on their marketing photos, but it seems they've deleted the page.

They do have a "tipster guide" cookbook page for Potsdam Kino, but conveniently doesn't show any photos with edge markings:
https://www.lomography.com/magazine/...-tipster-guide

flickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #143
CharlesDAMorgan

Tiny scratch top right - mostly random without any obvious pattern. I had unrelated issues rinsing as the film roll collapsed on itself as I'd loosened it for checking.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #144
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Charles, perhaps you can share your Potsdam Kino results to this thread on the forum?
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=168306
Done that with a few of the best from the reel, will share the Orwo uN54 roll when shot and developed.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #145
valdas

I contacted Filmotec in Germany and they don't have N74 anymore (discontinued), now they have N75 instead (iso320). Anybody tired that one?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #146
dourbalistar

Nikon FM2n, Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2, ORWO N74+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6.5 minutes.

2019.06.28 Roll #209-03757-positive.jpg

2019.07.21 Roll #214-03827-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #147
dourbalistar

Quote:
Interesting enough this is what I was told as I am grabbing one of the last bulk roll "Please be informed the production of N74 is discontinued. The successor is N75 with a sensitivity of 320 ASA." Figured I would share in the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
I contacted Filmotec in Germany and they don't have N74 anymore (discontinued), now they have N75 instead (iso320). Anybody tired that one?
Valdas, I'm not sure if N75 has been released yet. Guy Pinhas also got the same info about N74 being discontinued, with N75 being the successor. I think he was going to follow up about its release, and where it might be distributed.

flickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #148
valdas

Quote:
Valdas, I'm not sure if N75 has been released yet. Guy Pinhas also got the same info about N74 being discontinued, with N75 being the successor. I think he was going to follow up about its release, and where it might be distributed.
It is released I suppose, they have sent me the price list and said I can order.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #149
dourbalistar

Quote:
It is released I suppose, they have sent me the price list and said I can order.
Thanks for the info, Valdas! I wonder if ORWO NA would distribute it here in North America, or if I would need to order direct from FilmoTec in Germany.

flickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #150
dourbalistar

German film for shooting German cars.

2019.06.28 Roll #209-03768-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #151
CharlesDAMorgan

Now you just need an East German camera and lenses to complete the look! You've got something resembling a border fence already.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #152
Guy Pinhas

I got the data sheet from Owro. See attached. PM me if you want the PDF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orwo N75 p1.jpg (25.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Orwo N75 p2.jpg (20.0 KB, 8 views)

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #153
valdas

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Valdas! I wonder if ORWO NA would distribute it here in North America, or if I would need to order direct from FilmoTec in Germany.
I am not sure about that. But FYI - the net price for 400ft roll is 213.02 plus shipping. I have just ordered one...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #154
CharlesDAMorgan

I'm popping up to town today for a few things, so I'll pick up a roll of the N74 where I bought the uN54. The latter is now drying after development and it has no Orwo edge markings either, and the base looks very similar to the Potsdam.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #155
dourbalistar

Quote:
Now you just need an East German camera and lenses to complete the look! You've got something resembling a border fence already.
Hm... the closest thing I have is a Zeiss 80/2.8 for Hasselblad V that was made in West Germany. But that's a Swedish camera for shooting Saabs and Volvos.

Quote:
I got the data sheet from Owro. See attached. PM me if you want the PDF.
Thanks, Guy! I'll send you a PM.

Quote:
I am not sure about that. But FYI - the net price for 400ft roll is 213.02€ plus shipping. I have just ordered one...
That seems like a very reasonable price. Do they offer it in 100-foot bulk, or only 400-foot reels?

Quote:
I'm popping up to town today for a few things, so I'll pick up a roll of the N74 where I bought the uN54. The latter is now drying after development and it has no Orwo edge markings either, and the base looks very similar to the Potsdam.
Looking forward to your N74 (and UN54) results!

flickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #156
dourbalistar

2019.06.28 Roll #209-03764-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #157
CharlesDAMorgan

I wasn't greatly inspired yesterday as I had a few deadlines to meet, so many snaps were shot simply to test it out. I thought from Dourbalister's photos the film would benefit from higher contrast lenses, so took my 35mm Biogon C f2.8, which is both insanely sharp and very contrasty. The film is grainy definitely, I developed this in HC100 (B) for 6.30 minutes to minimise the grain as much as I could. It's there, but overall I am very happy with this film and want to get a roll for self loading and more exploration with lens and developer combinations. A shot from my M5 on my lap on the tube.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #158
valdas

Quote:

That seems like a very reasonable price. Do they offer it in 100-foot bulk, or only 400-foot reels?

Looking forward to your N74 (and UN54) results!
They have 100ft as well, the net price is 58,58 per roll. I will now analyse those datasheets - specifically if they show any difference vs N74...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #159
CharlesDAMorgan

I like the N74, but as it's being replaced I'll have to re-do my tests, hopefully on a day when I'm just a bit more inspired. It really does remind me of TriX in a very good way. Leica M5, Leica Summicron f2 version 3

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #160
dourbalistar

Quote:
I wasn't greatly inspired yesterday as I had a few deadlines to meet, so many snaps were shot simply to test it out. I thought from Dourbalister's photos the film would benefit from higher contrast lenses, so took my 35mm Biogon C f2.8, which is both insanely sharp and very contrasty. The film is grainy definitely, I developed this in HC100 (B) for 6.30 minutes to minimise the grain as much as I could. It's there, but overall I am very happy with this film and want to get a roll for self loading and more exploration with lens and developer combinations. A shot from my M5 on my lap on the tube.

Looks great, Charles! ORWO film makes for a great pairing with the M5. I recognize that distinctive N74+ grain, which I also saw in some Lomo Berlin Kino samples. I didn't like it at first, but it has grown on me.

As for contrast, I prefer open shadows, so I normally overexpose by one stop. I do use the same dilution and developing time, but with LegacyPro L110 which is a HC-110 clone. I don't have many multi-coated modern lenses, so that might also contribute to the lower contrast. For my workflow, I can easily add contrast in digitizing and post processing if desired. I find reducing contrast to be much more difficult.

flickr