Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Xpan & Other Panoramics

Xpan & Other Panoramics For Hasselblad Xpan, Xpan II, Fuji TX-1 and TX-2, and all other Panoramic cameras

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-06-2019   #1841
gbealnz
Registered User
 
gbealnz is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 170
The perfect subject for such a wide format, nicely done.
Gary
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2019   #1842
gbealnz
Registered User
 
gbealnz is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 170
Got a couple of pics with the 30mm, will work out how to link them from my Flickr upload. Be patient with this old fart.
Gary
[email protected]_Wintec__Delta100 by gbealnz, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2019   #1843
gbealnz
Registered User
 
gbealnz is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 170
OK, slow learner, bordering on "thick", but seem to be getting there. The vertical shot is with the 45mm.


[email protected]_Riverside__Delta100 by gbealnz, on Flickr


[email protected]_Fountain__Delta100 by gbealnz, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019   #1844
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019   #1845
gbealnz
Registered User
 
gbealnz is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 170
Beautiful colours gcap.
Gary
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1846
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbealnz View Post
Beautiful colours gcap.
Gary
Thank you Gary!
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1847
GLAUMAX
Registered User
 
GLAUMAX is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 23
Hello, One of mine with Hasselblad Xpan 45mm Ektar 100

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142396...posted-public/
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1848
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1849
dourbalistar
Registered User
 
dourbalistar's Avatar
 
dourbalistar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbealnz View Post
The perfect subject for such a wide format, nicely done.
Gary
Your post initiated a page break on the forum, so not sure if that was in reference to the Dodge Coronet. But if so, thanks!
__________________
I like my lenses sharp as a tank and built like a tack.

flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1850
dourbalistar
Registered User
 
dourbalistar's Avatar
 
dourbalistar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcap View Post
Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:
Beautiful, gcap! I don't know how you get such saturated colors from Portra, maybe that's just how all Grecian landscapes look!
__________________
I like my lenses sharp as a tank and built like a tack.

flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1851
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Beautiful, gcap! I don't know how you get such saturated colors from Portra, maybe that's just how all Grecian landscapes look!
Thanks D. In post I have in mind how a slide would look and edit accordingly.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1852
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1853
james.liam
Registered User
 
james.liam is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcap View Post
Thanks D. In post I have in mind how a slide would look and edit accordingly.
Why don't you use slide film then?
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1854
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
Why don't you use slide film then?
Perhaps film and processing costs/availability?
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1855
gbealnz
Registered User
 
gbealnz is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 170
Or the slightly more forgiving latitude of C-41, as opposed E6?
AND....... with results like he is getting, why muck with it, LOL.
Beautiful shots.

Gary
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1856
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
Why don't you use slide film then?
Mostly cost. I can develop C41 120 at 2 Euros a film when slide film costs minimum 8. I've tried self developing in the past but since there was no permanent space it was very difficult. I don't understand where the problem is....
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1857
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1858
gbealnz
Registered User
 
gbealnz is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 170
Stick with the Portra, why make things more difficult? The results speak for themselves.
Gary
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1859
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno
 
Moto-Uno's Avatar
 
Moto-Uno is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Wet Coast
Posts: 1,649
^^ It's perfectly clear to me where the problem is , it comes from a profound sense of awe when viewing your pics ! . For me it's a sort
of jealousy , 'cuz I can't take that great a picture , and living in B.C , it's not because there's nothing stunning to take photos of . Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1860
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbealnz View Post
Stick with the Portra, why make things more difficult? The results speak for themselves.
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Uno View Post
^^ It's perfectly clear to me where the problem is , it comes from a profound sense of awe when viewing your pics ! . For me it's a sort
of jealousy , 'cuz I can't take that great a picture , and living in B.C , it's not because there's nothing stunning to take photos of . Peter
Peter, Gary, thank you for your kind words.
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1861
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:


  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1862
slantface
Jordan Dickinson
 
slantface is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 37
Posts: 634
Hasselblad XPan
Hasselblad 45mm f4
Portra 400/800



tree field - xpan

by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr


surfers - xpan


by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr


fishing pier - xpan

by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr


palms - xpan

by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr


alpaca - xpan

by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr


surfers - xpan

by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr


3 apart - xpan

by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr


beach bike - xpan

by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #1863
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #1864
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #1865
Rayt
Registered User
 
Rayt's Avatar
 
Rayt is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,894
Hiran Minar near Lahore Pakistan

Xpan, 45mm, Velvia 50

colorxpan1sm by ray tai, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #1866
Rayt
Registered User
 
Rayt's Avatar
 
Rayt is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,894
Jaipur, India
Xpan, 45mm, TMX

IndiaX1s by ray tai, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #1867
largedrink
Registered User
 
largedrink's Avatar
 
largedrink is offline
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 102
Linhof Technorama 617 and FP4 125

Mangaweka shop fronts
by Hugh B, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #1868
largedrink
Registered User
 
largedrink's Avatar
 
largedrink is offline
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 102

Mangaweka main street
by Hugh B, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #1869
james.liam
Registered User
 
james.liam is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 220
All these panoramics are jaw-dropping amazing. Mastering this perspective cannot be simple and you folks seem to do it with ease.

Bravo!
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #1870
largedrink
Registered User
 
largedrink's Avatar
 
largedrink is offline
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 102
Personally, for every "good" panoramic shot I take (in my opinion), I also get 2 reasonable shots, and one mediocre shot. The great thing using the Linhof is there are only 4 shots per roll, and each one is bloody expensive, so it slows you down! Less fails that way and a lot of fun
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #1871
Rayt
Registered User
 
Rayt's Avatar
 
Rayt is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,894
Jaipur1s by ray tai, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #1872
Rayt
Registered User
 
Rayt's Avatar
 
Rayt is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,894
One common problem with “failed” panos is that the shot didn’t need to be in pano at all. If you can't fill the frame with relevant material then better to use another format. I tried doing street photography with the Xpan once and it was not a good experience. I couldn't frame properly for pano with the speed required for street.

xpan by ray tai, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #1873
snaefell
Registered User
 
snaefell is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
All these panoramics are jaw-dropping amazing. Mastering this perspective cannot be simple and you folks seem to do it with ease.

Bravo!

You certainly learn over time to "see" a panoramic scene and to capture it. The other side is selection of the images shown. I usually don't scan whole films and also show not every scanned panorama. This skews the view a bit.
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #1874
gcap
Registered User
 
gcap's Avatar
 
gcap is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Greece
Age: 50
Posts: 258
Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #1875
Derek Leath
Registered User
 
Derek Leath's Avatar
 
Derek Leath is offline
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 57

Xpan_part2-4
by
Derek Leath
, on Flickr


Xpan_part2-1
by
Derek Leath
, on Flickr


Xpan-1
by
Derek Leath
, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #1876
blan01
Registered User
 
blan01 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41


  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #1877
kiss-o-matic
Registered User
 
kiss-o-matic is offline
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
One common problem with “failed” panos is that the shot didn’t need to be in pano at all. If you can't fill the frame with relevant material then better to use another format. I tried doing street photography with the Xpan once and it was not a good experience. I couldn't frame properly for pano with the speed required for street.
In my experience, you need to get pretty close and most street panos are not. I think these work as panos but are not quite close enough. I could crop, I guess. I have some that are better but they're somewhere on the old hard drive. Just saying the frame has to be filled w/ relevant info is a bit dismissive. There's a sense of forcing concentration. Not every shot in a 2.35:1 film has relevant information. There are tons of close-up, portrait-ish shots.


Untitled by gaijin_punch, on Flickr


Untitled by gaijin_punch, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #1878
Rayt
Registered User
 
Rayt's Avatar
 
Rayt is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
In my experience, you need to get pretty close and most street panos are not. I think these work as panos but are not quite close enough. I could crop, I guess. I have some that are better but they're somewhere on the old hard drive. Just saying the frame has to be filled w/ relevant info is a bit dismissive. There's a sense of forcing concentration. Not every shot in a 2.35:1 film has relevant information. There are tons of close-up, portrait-ish shots.
It’s just my personal style. The test I do is to crop the image and see if the edited parts are vital to the image. I prefer to have the final image at exposure and not crop the final print. It’s petty I agree! Else I would just shoot in a rectangular format and crop to pano. BTW those two are good shots and well composed panos.
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #1879
kiss-o-matic
Registered User
 
kiss-o-matic is offline
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
It’s just my personal style. The test I do is to crop the image and see if the edited parts are vital to the image. I prefer to have the final image at exposure and not crop the final print. It’s petty I agree! Else I would just shoot in a rectangular format and crop to pano. BTW those two are good shots and well composed panos.

Thank you! (Nice shots, btw). I defo agree with you mostly. I've even had my TX-1 in my hands and thought, just as the shutter opens, "wish this was my normal camera". But, them's the breaks. Definitely gotta be thinking in pano mode.

I just think there are times when you create composition by limiting what the user sees... not simply filling the whole frame. portraits like this are pretty obvious choices.

On a similar note, curious about what people do when they realize that their pano frame is just too wide. (I would rather mine be a cinematic 2.35:1, but then again I shoot street almost specifically). I'm not afraid to crop a bit, and I try to keep it at most to 2.76:1 (Ultra Panavision 70 ratio) but also OCD kicks in when I realize some are different than others. how's that for petty?
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #1880
Doug
Moderator
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Doug is offline
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pacific NW, USA
Posts: 13,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
...On a similar note, curious about what people do when they realize that their pano frame is just too wide. (I would rather mine be a cinematic 2.35:1, but then again I shoot street almost specifically). I'm not afraid to crop a bit, and I try to keep it at most to 2.76:1 (Ultra Panavision 70 ratio) but also OCD kicks in when I realize some are different than others. how's that for petty?
Please excuse my lack of experience with the Fuji or Hasselblad pano cams... I understand it's possible to choose 2:3 24x36 format also... can that be switched in mid-roll?
__________________
Doug’s Gallery
RFF on Facebook
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:40.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.