Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects > RFF Imagery Promo

RFF Imagery Promo This forum is to discuss ideas on how to better promote Photographic Imagery at RFF.

idea for rff contest
Old 12-16-2007   #1
nzeeman

idea for rff contest

i was thinking what to do to make people on rff shoot more.
i got one idea - monthly contest.

rules would be - upload photos from 1st-15th in month - every member 1 photo only.

from 15th-25th we would vote - and i thought of new voting system (easier than on our FSU contest) we would vote in thread like this. 3 points for best photo , 2 points for second and 1 point for 3rd.
first voter would post message
" member1=3points
member2=2points
member3=1 point" ,

than second voter would copy its message and add his votes - if he votes for member1(3points) , member4(2points) and member3(1point) he will write

"member1=3+3points,
member2=2points,
member3=1+1points,
member4=2points."
that way we will have automatically counted votes.

we will always have themes for 2 months in advance(to have enough time for shooting+developing+scanning)

winner will choose next theme.

first 10 members in contest will get monthly points (first 12, second 10, 3rd 8,4th 7, ... 10th 1 point)
at the end of year member with biggest sum of points will become rff photographer of the year.

lets hurry up and start in january .
first two themes would be free themes.

i hope you all like the idea.

Srdjan

Old 12-16-2007   #2
oftheherd

Interesting so I will give this a bump. I have long been in favor of something that gives us recognition from peers over prizes. It would mean more to me at least, considering some of the great photographers we have here. We might want to have a vote at the end of the year for the best photo to account for exhuberance over a photo that wears off. Just a thought of course.

In general I like your idea. What do others thing?

Old 12-16-2007   #3
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

I like the idea.

We talked about it recently at http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=49715 and there was a fair bit of enthusiasm then.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward

Old 12-16-2007   #4
nzeeman

sorry i havent seen that theme earlier. we just need to contact stephen for this. i think it could be fun.

Old 12-16-2007   #5
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzeeman
sorry i havent seen that theme earlier. we just need to contact stephen for this. i think it could be fun.
Or Mempis?

Old 12-16-2007   #6
fidget
Lemon magnet

Seems like a good idea to me, but I think that the pictures we vote on should not be attributed to the owner, as in a blind judging. ( well , at least until the voting is closed for a particular period..)

Old 12-16-2007   #7
NB23
-

Can untalented but rich folks like me buy their way through such a contest by posting Noctilux shots? Or will it be anonymous posts?

Old 12-16-2007   #8
le vrai rdu

I think anonymous post would be the best

Old 12-16-2007   #9
Marc-A.
I Shoot Film

Srdjan,
Click on the link in my signature. I would love to have support, but I must admit that I have only very little suport for the moment ... that's a bit of a disappointement I must say. But hey that's RFF life.
Btw, thanks Jon, Sitemistic and Jan for your participation!!
Best,
Marc

Edit: I forgot lZr ... thank you too :-)

My PBase

Last edited by Marc-A. : 12-16-2007 at 16:29.

Old 12-16-2007   #10
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-A.
Srdjan,
Click on the link in my signature. I would love to have support, but I must admit that I have only very little suport for the moment ... that's a bit of a disappointement I must say. But hey that's RFF life.
Best,
Marc
I plan on participating Marc but I haven't shot up my roll of film yet. I have been trying to get out to do my 2 min. walk in my neighborhood project & I finally completed that today & hope to pick up my cd at the photo lab tomorrow. It's B&W and I wan't to shoot some color for the holidays. But I am in for any contest win or lose because it's all about fun & sharing to me.

Old 12-16-2007   #11
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by le vrai rdu
How would one do an amonymous post without your aviator showing up? I don't care for that idea. btw I think the votes are pretty honest here. People tend to know a good photo when they see one.

Old 12-17-2007   #12
nzeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB23
Can untalented but rich folks like me buy their way through such a contest by posting Noctilux shots? Or will it be anonymous posts?
i know i maybe insulted you in that post - but i just want you to know that i will surely vote for your photo if i like it (and there are some of your photos that i really like). i dont hate you at all and i dont think rff members will vote for members - i think people here always choose best photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le vrai rdu
i would love anonymous - but than we need stephen to make special gallery for that - and that is too much job for him. making stuff like that in forum is really hard stuff.

Quote:
Srdjan,
Best,
Marc
Edit: I forgot lZr ... thank you too :-)
i didnt click on your signature until now. i think your idea for contest is gret also - but i only think its easier to navigate if we have separate gallery.
i asked stephen to make one gallery every month.
waiting for an answer from him...

srdjan

Old 12-17-2007   #13
lZr
L&M

Of course I am in, unconditionally. To be anonymous, I think The Bartender need some work to do about.

Marc, don't hurry. I hope, we shall see more stuff uploaded
Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. (Albert Einstein)

Old 12-17-2007   #14
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Just an idea, to facilitate anonimity, open a common account in flickr (or pbase, or any other similar sites) and give the passwords to the participants.

Then the participants can upload unanimously and get comments along with ratings.

At the end of the week/month/whatever, the moderator tallies up the ratings and the picture owners can label their pictures with their RFF names.

That way we all get the surprise element as a bonus.

Just a thought.

Old 12-18-2007   #15
nzeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox
Just an idea, to facilitate anonimity, open a common account in flickr (or pbase, or any other similar sites) and give the passwords to the participants.

Then the participants can upload unanimously and get comments along with ratings.

At the end of the week/month/whatever, the moderator tallies up the ratings and the picture owners can label their pictures with their RFF names.

That way we all get the surprise element as a bonus.

Just a thought.

we tried with flickr on first fsu contest - but many members agreed that flickr will move away members from rff, and that whole contest must be inside rff.

Old 12-18-2007   #16
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

Quote:
but many members agreed that flickr will move away members from rff, and that whole contest must be inside rff.
So?

RFF wants to be more about imagery, so it has to provide imagery solutions, or people will migrate.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward

Old 12-18-2007   #17
nzeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaremontPhoto
So?

RFF wants to be more about imagery, so it has to provide imagery solutions, or people will migrate.
simply many member ignored my idea of uploading to flickr and told me that i work against rff. so i decided to make it here if that is what majority wants. we can try but i think same thing will happen.

Old 12-18-2007   #18
Marc-A.
I Shoot Film

Quote:
i didnt click on your signature until now. i think your idea for contest is gret also - but i only think its easier to navigate if we have separate gallery.
i asked stephen to make one gallery every month.
waiting for an answer from him...
srdjan
Hello srdjan,
I made the same request several months ago. Stephen supported my idea and I guess the Monthly Salon Gallery has been created for that purpose. I made several suggestions to make it a big RFF contest (I suggested anonymous submission too, poll for choosing the winner etc. ) but the whole thing is dead now for there's no contest. I tried to "sell" my ideas to Memphis' team, which I was originally part of, but no feedback, no interest in them.
That's why I "launched" the Magic Roll contest as a RFF monthly contest... I even bought TriX rolls for the prize!!! As I didn't intend to make it a "personal" thing (Marc-A's contest), I would be be glad that other members join me to set it each month, specify/clarify the rules, select the themes...etc . (Jan has suggested some change in the rules, I would like to discuss it collectively). I want it to be a collective project! Any help welcome!
Besides, I'm not sure it's a good thing if we have several RFF contests, so maybe we could merge our energy and our ideas to make only one contest, one big RFF contest. What do you think?
Cheers,
Marc

My PBase

Old 12-18-2007   #19
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
we tried with flickr on first fsu contest - but many members agreed that flickr will move away members from rff, and that whole contest must be inside rff.
Hmm, flickr is a photo bucket, not a forum, how would it move members away from RFF?

Besides, plenty of us already link images from flickr, so far I don't see a massive exodus from RFF to flickr.

Ok, how about this, participants upload anonymously to a shared flickr account. Then a moderator or volunteer link those into a thread in RFF.

That way it's still anonymous, but to see the pictures, you don't have to switch to flickr.

How's that?

Old 12-18-2007   #20
nzeeman

Quote:
Hello srdjan,
I made the same request several months ago. Stephen supported my idea and I guess the Monthly Salon Gallery has been created for that purpose. I made several suggestions to make it a big RFF contest (I suggested anonymous submission too, poll for choosing the winner etc. ) but the whole thing is dead now for there's no contest. I tried to "sell" my ideas to Memphis' team, which I was originally part of, but no feedback, no interest in them.
That's why I "launched" the Magic Roll contest as a RFF monthly contest... I even bought TriX rolls for the prize!!! As I didn't intend to make it a "personal" thing (Marc-A's contest), I would be be glad that other members join me to set it each month, specify/clarify the rules, select the themes...etc . (Jan has suggested some change in the rules, I would like to discuss it collectively). I want it to be a collective project! Any help welcome!
Besides, I'm not sure it's a good thing if we have several RFF contests, so maybe we could merge our energy and our ideas to make only one contest, one big RFF contest. What do you think?
Cheers,
Marc

i absolutely agree with you - in fact i would like to join your contest. shadowfox gave good idea for links from flickr in thread - i think that is good idea - if you want anonymous posting too. we just need to organize things better and i think more people will join. it is strange that when we had su contest we had a lot of participants and when we try to activate whole rff - very few people join.

Old 12-18-2007   #21
Marc-A.
I Shoot Film

Quote:
i absolutely agree with you - in fact i would like to join your contest. shadowfox gave good idea for links from flickr in thread - i think that is good idea - if you want anonymous posting too. we just need to organize things better and i think more people will join. it is strange that when we had su contest we had a lot of participants and when we try to activate whole rff - very few people join.
Excellent
I'll PM you.

My PBase

Old 12-18-2007   #22
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Folks,

There are some good ideas here,
but many are not practical because the software we have won't do it
without extensive twinking
which is not going to happen because of the expense.

take a look at this attempted Salon thread in Sept
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...y.php?cat=7143
the problem with it is that so few people entered

We can do things like the above, calling them contests or whatever
within a new Gallery sub forum
the software will not allow anonymous posting.
but anyone could enter under a new and therefore unrecognized ID

having present and future running contests at the same time is no problem
having winners choose a future theme is no problem

Stephen

Old 12-18-2007   #23
NB23
-

Stephen,

The forum is just too hard to understand. I know I only hang around the front page and I participate at what presents itself simply because I quickly get lost as soon as I try to surf to different forums.
It's been more then a month now that I've been trying to find the salon thread. I never found it until now that you've posted it. That's a major problem, IMO. But maybe I'm too dumb, too. I don't have problems with that fact, but I know I like things simple. I'm not joking: Sometimes I search for a forum for more then 5 minutes and I just give up. It's incredible. Like where is the Holga forum? How come I can't find it in the menu on the left in the front page. And why so many overlaping themes?
And why are there 6 Leica-M-something forums instead of simply one Leica-M-everything forum?
And how come there isn't a single picture forum? How do I find it?

Maybe by simply improving the access to forums and killing a lot of the subforums would already improve surfing, contests and picture posting. I don't understand why RFF has more forums then Dpreview.

Last edited by NB23 : 12-18-2007 at 22:09.

Old 12-19-2007   #24
nzeeman

Quote:
And why are there 6 Leica-M-something forums instead of simply one Leica-M-everything forum?
i agree with this one. for example fsu forum is for feds, kievs ,zorkis and all other fsu cameras but it still function great - and activity is always good in it.

Old 12-19-2007   #25
-vin-

nzeeman, users who want to participate to the contest could send their images to you. and you could submit them to judgement, maintaining anonimity of participants.

maybe it's a big work, but it's the easiest solution.

Old 12-19-2007   #26
Marc-A.
I Shoot Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by -vin-
nzeeman, users who want to participate to the contest could send their images to you. and you could submit them to judgement, maintaining anonimity of participants.

maybe it's a big work, but it's the easiest solution.
That's the solution Nzeeman and I have already thought of
It seems to me that it's the right solution.

PS: for people interested in participating in a picture contest, please don't forget to submit your pictures here: The Magic Roll RFF Contest

My PBase

Old 12-19-2007   #27
nzeeman

so marc - we can do that. just to take care of some details and we can start from january. we have 10 days for preparing. participants can send photos to us and we will upload them here or on the flickr, or even both (one could upload here and other on flickr) - maybe that will make more people join (and maybe bring some new members to rff ) .

Old 12-19-2007   #28
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
so marc - we can do that. just to take care of some details and we can start from january. we have 10 days for preparing. participants can send photos to us and we will upload them here or on the flickr, or even both (one could upload here and other on flickr) - maybe that will make more people join (and maybe bring some new members to rff ) .
nzeeman, I would advise against people sending pictures to you, it's more work for you than what needs to be. You will be soon burnt out and tired of it, let them upload the pictures to flickr using a shared account. All you have to do then is link the pictures to a thread here in RFF. Even then, you need to delegate to other participants for future contests.

One problem, flickr only allows 200 pictures in the free account, for more you have to pay them. Maybe photobucket, or other sharing sites are more generous. It doesn't have to be flickr for sure. Any site that gives you a unique static URL to the photos is fine.

An idea to combat the limitation of the free flickr account, is to move the pictures once the contest is over to RFF gallery. This also make the RFF gallery the official final place for the pictures (which supports what Steven and others are trying to do).

And again, each owner of the picture should move his/her own pictures. All you need to do is to delete the pictures from flickr to make space for the upcoming contest.

How's that?

Old 12-19-2007   #29
crawdiddy
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Quote:
Stephen,

Because there is a vey pronounced Leica bias on this forum.

Old 12-27-2007   #30
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...y.php?cat=7328

Guys, this is simple,
but what our software will allow us to do.

Stephen