Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Nearly 20 years old: Nikon D1
Old 10-24-2018   #1
B-9
Devin Bro

Nearly 20 years old: Nikon D1

The Nikon D1 was my first DSLR back in 2006-7 and it was already old news. I loved that camera so much! I took it everywhere I reasonably could.

I went on to own the D1h, D80, D100, D300s, D2h, D700, and D3 before getting out of the dslr scene for the mirrorless craze and a stint with a few Leica M8's.

Recently my wife and I stumbled across my old Apple iBook which was loaded full of D1 images. Even on that old little screen (or maybe its becuase of the old screen) the photos look so unfamiliar and fresh with a very filmic feel to the noise. Ill chalk that up to the 90's CCD sensor.

Long story short.

I was up until 3am last night researching how to power these ancients beasts! The batteries had always been unreliable at best even when new and they are rated for something like 1125mah which is silly by today's standards....

Yes I bought a D1 in 2018 going on 2019!

But shhh I haven't told the wife yet! 50$ she might not notice!

Call me crazy or post your D1 photos here!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 10-24-2018   #2
Steve M.

I found this article on your camera. The shot of the gal in a wooded area toward the end looks very film like.

https://lewiscollard.com/cameras/nikon-d1/

Old 10-24-2018   #3
Rick Waldroup

The D1x was my first DSLR and I followed that with the D2H. Both were fine cameras. The only problem with the D1x was, of course, the battery system. I eventually moved on to M4/3 for several years but just recently got the bug to get back into Nikons and I now shoot a Df and a D90 as my backup.

However, I miss those old DSLR's. Good luck on your new journey. I am sure you will have a blast....

Old 10-24-2018   #4
Takkun
Ian M.

Likewise, started with a D1x in 2006. I was in school and working at a camera shop, so I got a great deal, but still could have bought a lightly used D70s for the price. I based my decision on them basically having the same sensor, and my owning a good deal of AI-s lenses, which if I remember, didn't meter on the D70. That, the abysmal finder, and just lack of interest in the interface. I had (still have) a F100 and loved that they worked essentially the same.

Batteries back then weren't particularly hard to find—Batteries Plus stocked them in-store in my local outlet for $40.

It and a Bessa got me through studying photojournalism just fine. My school had a few D200s and D300s for loaners when I needed low-light, but I never got along with them so well.

I look back at some of my photos, thankfully recovered from a dead external drive (the dreaded WD 'click,' fixed by hitting it really hard out of anger) and some of them were fantastic. At my parents' there's a few huge poster prints from it. The camera's still over there, waiting for the day when I decide to do an IR conversion I've said I wanted to do.

Later went with a D3 when I was working as a photog, and it was a world of difference, but too much camera to just carry around, so I went with the X100 after a job switch.

Recently I had a D2x land in my lap from a well-heeled relative doing some spring cleaning. Haven't shot with it much, and still trying to remember the old controls and settings, but might be an excuse to call up my brother and borrow his macro gear. The one thing I miss with SLRs!

An old favorite of mine, taken from the WSDOT Bainbridge ferry.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 10-24-2018   #5
Timmyjoe

I was covering motorsports when the Nikon D1 was first introduced. I was so jealous of the guys who had that camera because the rest of us (was shooting a Nikon D4s at the time) had to process our film and scan it before we could send in the digital files, and those D1 guys could just pop out the card, pop it into a laptop, and off went the images.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 10-24-2018   #6
Fraser

I still remember when my father-in law who is also a newspaper photographer showed me the d1, I was still shooting film at my newspaper and it was amazing! Never owned one when they were new I went Canon route with a 1d and d60, but have since bought a few on the big auction site for less than £20.
They do have a film like look and also the weirdest white balance, they seem to work best on flash white balance?
8fbpicMarthaseatD3 by f4saregreat!, on Flickr

Old 10-24-2018   #7
splitimageview

I bought a new D1 back in the day. Wonky colors and low megapixel, low iso, but coming from film, who cared? I used IBM Microdrives, amazing 1Gb of storage!

Shot the first formula one US Grand Prix at Indy with it. Will have to look up some of those pics...

Old 10-24-2018   #8
Fraser

Another weird thing I just remembered like the Canon 1d no zoom function on the LCD.

Old 10-24-2018   #9
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
I still remember when my father-in law who is also a newspaper photographer showed me the d1, I was still shooting film at my newspaper and it was amazing! Never owned one when they were new I went Canon route with a 1d and d60, but have since bought a few on the big auction site for less than £20.
They do have a film like look and also the weirdest white balance, they seem to work best on flash white balance?
8fbpicMarthaseatD3 by f4saregreat!, on Flickr

The rendering in this photo is exceedingly nice. I have today just fired up my old Panasonic L1. Not quite as old as the D1 but it is another camera with exceedingly pleasant rendering. it is a shame those old sensors struggle so much with dynamic range or I would use them more. Another one I have been tempted considering buying is one of the fairly early Fuji DSLRs (the one based on the D200 is not a bad compromise) as they have equally nice rendering of images especially skin tones- with less of the dynamic range compromises necessitated by the CCD technology then in use.

Old 10-25-2018   #10
Fraser

The d200 was another great camera bought one new and sometimes look back at the pictures and think about buying another one.
D200
8fbpicSwissHols0086 by f4saregreat!, on Flickr

Old 10-25-2018   #11
Leica0Series

I used to use one to shoot for my neighborhood newspaper. Great brick of a camera, perfect for photojournalism. And so easy, anyone could use it!

Lil' Paparazzi by Brett Davis, on Flickr

Leica 24 Elmar
Zeiss 35 Distagon
Leica 50 Summarit 2.5
Canon 100 3.5 (black and chrome)

Old 10-25-2018   #12
shawn

First digital was the Coolpix 950, first DSLR was the D1H. Bought it from Cameta new on closeout ($1200ish) as the D2 series had been out for awhile already. Awesome camera but the batteries were annoying. My LR catalog has more shots from the D1H than any other camera.

This is one of the last shots I took with the D1H (replaced by D700) and it is one of my favorites.

Shawn

Old 10-25-2018   #13
B-9
Devin Bro

Shawn, that is a STELLAR photo from the D1h.

Old 10-26-2018   #14
jonal928

Le Dance

Nikon D1

Old 10-26-2018   #15
jonal928

Le Dance II

Nikon D1

Old 10-26-2018   #16
stupid leica
i don't shoot rf

Never had any of the early pro Nikon DSLR, but I had a Canon 1D and at times lusted over the D2H(s?). Those early low-MP big sensors certainly have charm.

Old 10-26-2018   #17
Pioneer

I think the title for this thread should be changed to -

Barely 20 Years Old: Nikon D1

Digital seems such a small sliver of photographic history for the uproar it has caused.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 10-26-2018   #18
jonal928

Jumping Sara

Nikon D1

Old 10-26-2018   #19
jonal928

Nikon D1 is a wonderful camera. Not that she's a perfect camera from birth.
And for that matter, only a true loving photographer can overcome the
excess magenta's fissures produced by its CCD sensor, and the poor capacity
of its nickel-metal battery. The story of the Nikon D1 is in its unique coloration,
which can often be reminiscent of an old slides. About twenty years ago, I was
captured by the Nikon D1, which served me in faithfulness under all of the
most difficult conditions of the territory, and never disappointed me. Nikon
produced the first commercial and easy-to-use DSLR camera (Kodak based on
Nikon and Canon, was cumbersome to use, and absolutely much more expensive),
and no one would take its respectable part of this space. The D1 Nikon, which
was driving me, is still In working mode and ready for action, but this old lady,
will no longer come out of her last resting place in my display cabinet.

Old 10-26-2018   #20
Range-rover

I Purchased a Nikon D2X, there is something about it's color and the build of
this old DX camera I like.

Old 10-26-2018   #21
x-ray

I bought a D1 through NPS and got it before they hit the consumer marker. As mentioned above e it had some strange skin color issues with nagenta especially in men's skin. I think it was probably related to excessive IR sensitivity. Batteries were huge and you got about 300 shots on one. The buffer was tiny and you often had to wait for it to clear before resuming shooting. Image noise was insane above 400 iso and 400 was just barely usable. And yes it was an amazing 2.75 megapixels and cost just under $5000.

No one knew what color management was in those days and monitors we're calibrated using the built in calibration module in Photoshop. It was terrible. Fortunately the Spyder calibration system came shortly.

Nikon shipped the first batch to pros that ordered through NPS. The one I had wSca very low SN. In that day the camera had to be shipped back to Nikon for firmware updates and to calibrate lense front and back focus. Because the cameras we're the first run units they hadn't tested them as thoroughly as they. Should have.

There was a bug in the firmware. Randomly and at any time the camera would revert back to factory defaults without warning and to make things worse it reset the menu to Japanese language. Nikon issued an update for it and every camera had to back to Nikon.

There were several other firmware updates along the way. One update fixed one problem but created another. All of us had to return our cameras to Nikon immediately on receipt from getting back for the previous update.

Raw converters we're pretty primitive. I tried quite a few and wound up using Bibble. The first issue took a couple minutes to convert one file but it gave better files than the other converters. Tif and Jpg files were pretty bad out of the camera. Since I've taken some of my old raw files into Photoshop raw and have produced some amazing images. The right converter really tamed the magenta and the cameras ccd did make some rich and sharp images.

The crazy thing was my clients went nuts over it.

I then bought a D1x which was light years ahead of the D1 then a Canon 1D and 1Ds and later 1Ds2. The ccd 1D made very pretty files. Even by todays standards the 1D was superb. The 1Ds and 1Ds2 were great too as we're Canons lenses.

I eventually went back to Nikon because of the D800 and wound up with a D800 and Df and still use them. The Df is my all time favorite.

Old 10-26-2018   #22
x-ray

I was thinking about the cost of those early DSLRs. A press photog friend brought some Nikon /Kodak AP cameras to my studio. He asked if I'd run them through the passes in the studio. We spent an entire day shooting with Nikon's dedicated speedlight, my Speedotron studio strobes, tungsten lights, fluorescent and daylight. Actually I don't remember getting a single usable image the cameras we're $14,000 each.

The next camera I tried was a Kodak that was $17,000 for the body. There were no full frame cameras in that day and calculate for inflation to see how expensive just a body was.

I remember one other Kodak model a friend had and it was somewhere around $30,000. It was marginal too. Certainly not worth that kind of money.

Now add batteries and memory cards. When I bought my D1 the best thing in memory cards was the IBM microdrive. It was actually a tiny hard drive with a spinning disc inside. They were very slow and had a relatively short life. I got about a year out of them before the disc failed. The big ones were initially 500megs and cost $500 each. You needed at least two or three. Later 1 gig models came out and they were $500 eadh as well.

I remember Kodak trying to sell the $30000 models when the D1 came out. The D1 was half the size and 1/6 the cost. In the end Kodak included a loaded Mac with each sale. It didn't help sell them.

Old 10-26-2018   #23
Contarama

My first DSLR was a D5000. That sensor was an amazing sensor.

Then I got a S5 Pro. Crazy amazing.

The other day I was studying 5D2 and decided to look at some 5D1 images. That sensor is amazing.

Now I have a Df. That sensor produces images that are so malleable it is beyond amazing.

There is something about all of those earlier lower mp sensors that is a good kind of different I cant quite put my finger on it though.

I would love to have them all and an additional set of leotaxed Nikkors for the Canon. What is really crazy is how cheap they are nowadays. Glass though...it's going up

Old 10-27-2018   #24
jonal928

In fact, the NEF files of the Nikon D1 were exported directly to the
Nikon Capture software, which enabled the resolution to be increased
to about 10 megapixels in TIFF format directly to the Photoshop software,
and from there to display and / or print.
Go and try to find a normal working environment in 2018, which allows
you to use the same software, that in its latest version was called Nikon
Capture 4.2. Promise everyone, you will not find.

In black and white she did not excel either, or maybe the opposite is true...

Old 10-27-2018   #25
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
My first DSLR was a D5000. That sensor was an amazing sensor.

Then I got a S5 Pro. Crazy amazing.

The other day I was studying 5D2 and decided to look at some 5D1 images. That sensor is amazing.

Now I have a Df. That sensor produces images that are so malleable it is beyond amazing.

There is something about all of those earlier lower mp sensors that is a good kind of different I cant quite put my finger on it though.

I would love to have them all and an additional set of leotaxed Nikkors for the Canon. What is really crazy is how cheap they are nowadays. Glass though...it's going up
I think the same when I look at the files from my RD1. I like them better than the output from my M240.

Old 10-27-2018   #26
jonal928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think the same when I look at the files from my RD1. I like them better than the output from my M240.
Exactly the same about the visual output of the Leica M8 sensor,
and the Nikon D200; whose sensor has been matched by me for
IR photography. Both of which are cameras that I use from time
to time, with results of great visual value.

Old 10-27-2018   #27
1jz

Nearly 20 years old and still no small prime dx lens set. Would buy a d40 otherwise.

Old 10-28-2018   #28
B-9
Devin Bro

A little update,

D1 is here, its works, and I’ve just finished hacking the battery apart.

Now she runs off two 18650 cells with about 3000mah a fair increase over the old pack.

Having a little trouble with my CF cards, It takes about 40sec to write a NEF.

Currently looking for a old micro drive.

Old 10-28-2018   #29
jonal928

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
A little update,

Having a little trouble with my CF cards, It takes about 40sec to write a NEF.

Currently looking for a old micro drive.
very strange. Under normal usage conditions,
you do not need to experience delays during
the time that the NEF file is fed into the CF card.
I guess you're using a modern, fast card. Try to
get a 1GB CF card; format it together with the
camera, and see if the write speed for the card
has improved.
One last thing, give up thinking about purchasing
a micro drive.

Old 10-28-2018   #30
jonal928

Rain

Nikon D1 & Nikkor 24/2.8

Old 10-28-2018   #31
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonal928 View Post
Rain

Nikon D1 & Nikkor 24/2.8
Super nice.

Old 10-29-2018   #32
mynikonf2
OEM

Started my adventure into the digital photo world with the D1h. Still have it and will have to take it out for a spin...

Also, after the D1h I bought 2 D200's, which I still use to this day. I gave one of them to my son-in-law. I have thought about a D700 or perhaps a D500 but I hesitate because of my love of film.

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 10-29-2018   #33
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

People often talk about how easy it is to get into photography with the price of premium film cameras from the analog era being so cheap and plentiful. I think we have approached/reached the same situation with digital now with cameras like the D1, D700, Canon 5D etc also being plentiful and relatively inexpensive. It's a good time to be a photographer.

Old 10-29-2018   #34
B-9
Devin Bro

I’m using a CF(I) 1GB card made by Dan-Elec

As well as a 2gb CF(II) Sandisk Ultra II

I also have a Canon 512mb CF(I)

RAW write times are approximately 12sec with the 1gb card and about 3 times that with the Sandisk.

It just does not seem familiar, that I would have waited that long between exposures since it disables to shutter release in single shot while writing.

Quick work around is just shooting in continuous then letting the buffer catch up. I get the stated 10 RAW before the buffer locks out for about a minute.

I’ll be looking around my bins for any other CF cards, but I do not plan to buy any more. I’ll suffer through for as little as I will be using this camera.

Old 10-29-2018   #35
Filter Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
It just does not seem familiar, that I would have waited that long between exposures since it disables to shutter release in single shot while writing.

Quick work around is just shooting in continuous then letting the buffer catch up. I get the stated 10 RAW before the buffer locks out for about a minute.

Hello,

If I recall correctly, the D1 bypasses the buffer and writes directly to the memory card while in Single shot drive mode; hence the delay, whereas shooting in Continuous mode it writes to the buffer. The solution (as you've found) is to shoot in Continuous mode even if only single photos are desired.

Cheers, Robert

Old 10-29-2018   #36
Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filter Factor View Post
Hello,

If I recall correctly, the D1 bypasses the buffer and writes directly to the memory card while in Single shot drive mode; hence the delay, whereas shooting in Continuous mode it writes to the buffer. The solution (as you've found) is to shoot in Continuous mode even if only single photos are desired.

Cheers, Robert
that seems to ring a bell!
I wouldn't bother looking for a microdrive as even when they were new they were not too reliable and they use much more power.
18fbpicnikond1card_01 by f4saregreat!, on Flickr
Original Nikon CF card a mighty 32mb and another rare and useless accessory LCD cover, when new from memory if you wanted a clear LCD cover you had to buy a third party one, pretty sure hoodman made one and (i may be wrong) wasn't until d1h and d1x that you got a clear one.