Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: I mostly print my good photos...
Age <24 1 1.27%
Age <25–34 3 3.80%
Age <35–44 1 1.27%
Age <35–44 6 7.59%
Age <45–54 14 17.72%
Age <55–64 32 40.51%
Age >65 22 27.85%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Who still prints? Digital-only users
Old 07-13-2018   #1
RichC

Who still prints? Digital-only users

I ran out of inkjet photo paper today, so went to town to buy some. But no one had any - not camera shops, not stationers! I was told that no one prints any more - except for "old people"!

So, I thought I'd do a straw poll for those who print versus their age. Film users are excluded - I'm interested only those who are fully digital...

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 07-13-2018   #2
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Rich,

I stockpile paper to always have on hand. Also I still print a lot.

Cal

Old 07-13-2018   #3
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I print some. Lots of wet printing, but every now and again I will go through and print a stack of recent things digital.

Old 07-13-2018   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Ugh?

If I shoot digitally and print it on inkjet, what it has to do if I use film as well?

And it looks like in Brighton, UK, old people are not considered to shop in the stores anymore? If they still make it to the stores - "sorry no service, goods for oldies".

"Aslo film shooters and oldies are not allowed"...

I live in town where are lot of young, families and children. And I have no problem to buy photo paper for inkjet printers.

Old 07-13-2018   #5
Dogman

You left off my age group (65-74) so I couldn't vote. But I do. Print that is. Mostly B&W. I print on an Epson R3000 on matte surface rag papers. I watch for online sales of my favorite papers and I keep a few dozen boxes on hand.

Old 07-13-2018   #6
lodewijk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
You left off my age group (65-74) so I couldn't vote. But I do. Print that is. Mostly B&W. I print on an Epson R3000 on matte surface rag papers. I watch for online sales of my favorite papers and I keep a few dozen boxes on hand.
I wetprint color and black and white even 20x24", today i printed 10 30x40 cm black and white baryta prints, and i am 76.

Old 07-13-2018   #7
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Sorry... Read >75 as >65!

I print my decent stuff on Fuji C type paper - to make good old-fashioned silver-based photographic prints! I think these are subtler and more refined than inkjet prints, where the pigment sits on the paper surface. Rather than looking "into" the photograph as happens with C types, inkjet prints seem to have a crude "cut off". That's entirely my personal preference - one isn't better, they're just different.

There's nothing quite like looking at a print, so I always make test prints - that's what I use my inkjet printer for. Still can't believe that a major city has no shops selling inkjet photo paper! I wonder if people will soon stop printing altogether... perhaps they already have!

-=Rich=-

Old 07-13-2018   #8
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Yeah, that happens to us when we get old.

Old 07-13-2018   #9
Godfrey
somewhat colored

There have been almost no stores locally that carried any photographic inkjet paper since Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto closed a couple of years ago. But there seems no drought of materials available. I have been ordering my inkjet paper and ink supplies from on-line vendors for at least a decade and a half.

Even us old folks know how to use a website, eh?

G

Old 07-13-2018   #10
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
There have been almost no stores locally that carried any photographic inkjet paper since Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto closed a couple of years ago. But there seems no drought of materials available. I have been ordering my inkjet paper and ink supplies from on-line vendors for at least a decade and a half.

G
Well, that’s what I normally do. But I used more paper than expected, and needed more today, not tomorrow!

-=Rich=-

Old 07-13-2018   #11
ptpdprinter

I am not sure the poll will tell you much more than the average age of members of RFF.

Old 07-13-2018   #12
Bill Clark

Hardly print anymore. Either digital, I always had a lab process, or my analog darkroom.

I get the RAW files loaded, process in ACR and that’s it. I still make backups of files.

Got at least 50 rolls of film developed and each one in an envelope. Maybe someday.

Too many photos. Love making them but the rest is on the back burner.

You didn’t have an old fart like me that’s 70 with a check to vote.

Old 07-13-2018   #13
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I am not sure the poll will tell you much more than the average age of members of RFF.
I think you’re probably right ... should’ve given it a bit more thought!

-=Rich=-

Old 07-13-2018   #14
majid
Fazal Majid

Nearly 48.

I seldom print, and in almost all cases it's for my daughter's art projects or to give away. My preferred viewing medium is an iPad screen.

My printer is a dye-sub DNP DS-820A, so I don't have to worry about running out of ink, the remaining capacity is completely predictable.

Old 07-13-2018   #15
Dwig

I'm in the (unappreciated) 65-74 age group so didn't vote.

Since my high quality photo printer came to the end of its life a year ago, I haven't been printing my personal work very much. But on the other hand, I've been on a low ebb in my artistic output for a few years. It seems my day job kind of puts a damper on that angle to my creativity.

At work, I print every day. I work as the primary graphics person (pixel pusher) for an art photographer and his gallery. The very small prints (6x9" - 13x19") are generally on water color paper. The medium sized work (20"x30" - 30x44") and large work (36x48 - 40x96) is frequently on canvas. About 1/3rd of the medium and large work is sent out for printing on aluminum. My image production targeting electronic viewing is only moderate and involves our website (www.alanmaltz.com with ~1200 images online) and installation mockups for clients.

Old 07-13-2018   #16
airfrogusmc

In my opinion it is not a finished photograph until it is printed.

Old 07-13-2018   #17
Ste_S

Printing is one of my favourite things I do on a Friday night. Print some of my best photos from the week over a couple of beers.

Whilst I post a photo to Instagram every day, I don't think a photo comes alive until you print it. Much prefer looking at photo books rather than online images also.

Old 07-13-2018   #18
jszokoli

Rich,

How can you NOT print. As said above, if it's not printed, it does not really exist...

I have two Epson 3880's, and like Cal a stock of paper, well maybe not as much as Cal.

I think mail order is the way to go, you know people on this forum are in their own 1% club, in the general population, as far as needs and wants.

BTW I'm an somewhat old guy.

Joe

Old 07-13-2018   #19
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

It's not a photograph until it's hanging on a wall. Other wise it is just a file.

Old 07-13-2018   #20
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Fixed the poll, so those in the formerly excluded 65-74 age group can now go back and vote!

Old 07-13-2018   #21
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I occasionally make large prints for Home walls. Smaller ‘work prints’ to discuss at my critique group. And now I’m working on handmade photo books.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 07-13-2018   #22
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

G
Looking Glass Photo in Berkeley has a pretty decent selection of inkjet paper from several manufacturers.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 07-14-2018   #23
gnuyork

Oops. Not fully digital, but I haven't done any darkroom printing in over 20 years. I actually hope to change that.

But as far as digital printing, I do print from digital camera files and scans of film images. In all honesty it's been a while since I have printed anything, mainly due to one of my my printers needing a very expensive service.

I do have a stockpile of inkjet and darkroom paper. Though I am mostly out of my LF roll paper (from the printer that needs the service).

Old 07-14-2018   #24
robert blu
quiet photographer

I love to print my photos. Editing (selection), processing and printing.
robert
PS: because of space limitation and cost I do not print everything, but most of what I consider important yes, I print. I also like to make books out of my photos, printed (blurb) or hand made...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 07-14-2018   #25
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I don't print very often.

I mostly print for editing (selection and sequencing).

I also print for galley shows and for friends and relatives.

I don't own a printer. I typically use MPIX. They do good work and offer the processes and paper choice I prefer. For important prints (larger gallery shows) I used a local specialized lab. I relocated to a new city I have not yet tried to locate a similar service.

When summer ends I want to try photozines and photo newspapers for B&W – would that count?
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-14-2018   #26
Mcary

Order about 5-10 digital prints a year usually 10x15" on 16x20 paper and than rotate the new prints with one I have hanging on the walls of our home.

Old 07-14-2018   #27
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Since retiring a dozen years ago I've been shooting, printing and exhibiting work in half a dozen different galleries, in half dozen different cities, hundreds of miles apart.
17x22 or 13x19 paper exclusively. These prints, framed and matted, were hung year round, usually 5 or 6 in each gallery.
Additionally, most galleries (and other venues) had available matted but unframed limited editions of my prints in the same two sizes

Last year I withdrew all my work from the galleries and "retired" from the exhibiting career. Printing, matting, framing and delivering had become tedious and expensive as I would periodically visit each gallery to replace unsold pics (which was most of them ) with different work.

Today, I am grateful to be relieved of these not inconsiderable chores....BUT there then appeared an unanticipated and significant downside :

My energy and enthusiasm for shooting and printing new images declined in the face of "to what purpose?" I had suspected but did not realize how much the exhibition side of the photographic train had been fueling the creative engine at the front. Indeed, it is almost as if the caboose were the engine.

I am in that >65 age group and with the "it ain't a photograph until it's printed" school as well. Starting to make smaller prints for domestic use but am running out of wall space,,,may need to buy a bigger home ;-)

Blurb books are nice and I've made a lot of them but to me, a matted and framed 14 x 20 inch print is more satisfying.

Fuji X Pro2
Fuji X E2
Fuji X100s
Panasonic GX1 w/ 20mm F1.7
Nikon D800E

introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 07-14-2018   #28
Mark A. Fisher

I print constantly, since I am fortunate enough to be included in group and solo exhibits on a fairly consistent basis. For home use I have an Epson 4880 and a Canon Pro-1, and have access to wide format (44" & 24") Epson and Canon printers as needed. I have begun having some of my work printed as large prints (24x36, 30x40) on metal and plexiglass, as well as some mounted on Gator Board, all done by large print houses in my area.

I still have a wet lab, and enjoy making alternative work - Van Dyke Brown, Salt, etc - but digital printing has improved dramatically, to the point where I garner great satisfaction from the final product.

For many years I taught wet lab photography courses at a local junior college - my degree is in black and white film photography - so to me printing has always been a part of the process.

Unlike the work of Vivian Maier, found in boxes after her death, I'm fairly certain no one will find a pile of unedited pixels in my closet after my passing and say "Hey, these pixels look promising, let's see if we can print some."

Hence the prints...

Namaste,

Mark

Old 07-14-2018   #29
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

wow! RFF is a lot older than I thought!

Old 07-14-2018   #30
maggieo
More Deadly

It's not a photo if it isn't printed. OK, I'm exaggerating, but I do print quite a bit and then take the prints to the gallery that reps me.

I had a show of my Cuba photos last year and seeing the prints on the wall made me feel like a "real" photographer. There is something magic about seeing prints on a wall. Something tangible.

Old 07-14-2018   #31
Red Rock Bill

I'm 75 ....I scan and print from neg files as well as files from digital cameras.....in fact getting ready for the RFF Post Card Project......need more to participate....regards,Bill

Old 07-15-2018   #32
Big Ursus

Hi Rich,
In my film days, I always made contacts and at least 8" x 10" work prints. For shows, I'd make 11" x 14"s and 16"x20"s.

Now that I shoot digital, at least once every week I make 4" x 6" prints at a local London Drugs (a Canadian chain) photo kiosk, where I can do some cropping, and I have some limited control over colour and contrast.

I use these prints for critiques, and regularly mail some to friends & family. These little prints are also very useful when I make selections for book projects.

I think printing this way is very economical, and avoids problems with ink and paper, cleaning print heads, etc.

Old 07-15-2018   #33
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieo View Post
There is something magic about seeing prints on a wall. Something tangible.
Digital files are fleeting and frail. Prints will last hundreds of years. I think a sense of impermanence and permanence, respectively, can affect and has affected how and why people make photographs. There is much difference in the mindset between taking a picture to accumulate "likes" on social media (only to be replaced and forgotten) and taking a picture to be printed and witnessed daily in your physical presence.

Old 07-15-2018   #34
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
It's a cliche we've all heard, but I think it's well-said. The digital media are ephemeral by nature and design. They are only pixels and numbers, the choreographed vomit of electricity. There's nothing "graph" about a photograph on a screen. The "graph" part comes when a photograph is printed.

Old 07-15-2018   #35
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
I think there's a reason we've heard this statement so often --

Count me among "the printers". I'm not convinced the age poll will shed any light on the actual age distribution of printers. Just the age distribution of RFF members -- which is apparently skewed toward older. Is there anything we can do about that? The young are our great hope.

Old 07-15-2018   #36
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

I print because I exhibit. And because I have friends and family and colleagues who appreciate prints.

Old 07-16-2018   #37
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
robert
PS: because of space limitation and cost I do not print everything, but most of what I consider important yes, I print. I also like to make books out of my photos, printed (blurb) or hand made...
Robert,

I only have 650 square feet in my one bedroom apartment, and I have a 7800 and a 3880. Also I like printing 20x30 images on 24x36 sheet. Only 15 prints on a 50 foot roll.

Most of my printing is 12x18 images on 17x22 for editing and proofing. These proofs are being assembled into a "Monster Workbook." The reverse is annotated with the file number, Lightroom settings, and info on the paper and inkset so that these images are ready to be produced into limited editions. I used binding posts and linen tape to create a hinge for the pages

Also know my gal a celeb fashion blogger has our space filled with shoes and clothes. This is Madhattan living. I hear all these people say they have no space for a printer, and I laugh. I have limited space for prints to dry. LOL.

A few times a year Jon Cone has sales, and that is when I load up the truck with Jon Cone Type 5 (A Crane's Silver Rag optimized for Piezography) and ink. For me it pays to stockpile. I bulk up to save money.

Also know I want another additional 24 inch printer.

Cal

Old 07-16-2018   #38
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jszokoli View Post
Rich,

How can you NOT print. As said above, if it's not printed, it does not really exist...

I have two Epson 3880's, and like Cal a stock of paper, well maybe not as much as Cal.

I think mail order is the way to go, you know people on this forum are in their own 1% club, in the general population, as far as needs and wants.

BTW I'm an somewhat old guy.

Joe
Joe,

I have 4 rolls of 24 inch wide JC Type 5 for the prints I owe you. I'll let you know when I fill the 7800.

Inkjet mall was suppose to have 17x22 cut sheets available in May. They were out for a while.

Rolls are the most cost effective BTW.

Cal

Old 07-16-2018   #39
robert blu
quiet photographer

You are correct Cal, small medium or large you can always find place to display your prints!

And a printer is a very useful tool for a photographer...

robert
PS: of course a darkroom as well

https://thequietphotographer.files.w...0120418-12.jpg

https://thequietphotographer.files.w....jpg?w=1400&h=

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 07-16-2018   #40
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Robert,

How satisfying is it to look at prints that one made/created.

Really lovely.

I can't wait till I set up my darkroom. Right now it is in storage. One day...

Cal