Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film / Developing / Chemistry

Kodak now selling Pro Image 100 in another market - but not where it is made!
Old 07-05-2018   #1
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Kodak now selling Pro Image 100 in another market - but not where it is made!

https://www.dpreview.com/news/178523...film-to-europe

So now what's Kodak's explanation for why people in the United States have to buy Pro Image 100 on the grey market? Isn't this made in Rochester? Not like they have to ship this to a different continent.

Dante

Old 07-05-2018   #2
Skiff

Thanks for the info, Dante.

I think concerning the North American market two cases are possible:
1. American distributers import the film from Europe.
2. If the film is a success in Europe, Kodak Alaris will also offer it officially in North America.

All in all, this is good news I think.

Old 07-06-2018   #3
gavinlg

I love this film - a few years back it was all I was using. It's a little grainy (for 100 speed film), has a full but slightly subdued color palate, and is really easy to expose - under or overexposure are both fine.

Gotta grab some more methinks.

Old 07-06-2018   #4
retinax

Michael Bialecki frequently posts great looking pictures in the ZM Distagon 35 1.4 thread that I think are all on this film. Michael, if you're reading this, or anyone really, could you please post some higher resolution scans and share how you post processed them? That would be very helpful in forming an opinion about this film for the many of us who can now finally buy it!

Old 07-06-2018   #5
Out to Lunch

Good news! One thing I've noticed is that the price for this film varies widely: in Asia between USD 3 to 4 per roll and in Germany they charge more than USD 8.

Old 07-06-2018   #6
DKimg

It's a cool film. Tried some while I was overseas... Seems to fall in-between a Gold 100 and Portra 160. It's like the poors man's portra film. haha. Worth a shot to try.
Pentax 67ii / Zeiss 110FE F2
Fuji GX680 / EBC 180 F3,2

eBony-cameras RW45
Rodenstock 150mm Apo-Sironar-S
Zeiss Planar 135mm f3,5 T*

Ansco LF 8x10 / Kodak Ektar 203" f6,3

Old 07-06-2018   #7
stompyq

They probably don't want portra sales to be affected

Old 07-06-2018   #8
Huss

I have some rolls being developed now. Had to buy it from Thailand shipped to the US. Michael's work made me curious.

Old 07-06-2018   #9
Huss

Leica M-A, 7Artisans 50 1.1, Kodak ProImage 100, D850 scan

"Olympio's Shoes"

Leica M-A. 7Artisans 50 1.1, Kodak ProImage 100, D850 scan

Leica M-A, 7Artisans 50 1.1, Kodak ProImage 100, D850 scan

Leica M-A, 7Artisans 50 1.1, Kodak ProImage 100, D850 scan.

Old 07-06-2018   #10
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

My favourite consumer level neg. All of my ProImage 100s were bought from Thailand.

Pentax ME Auto-Reveunon 50/1.4

Olympus XA3 D.Zuiko 35/3.5

Lab scan made the colour palette a bit generic. Had to use the lab for my recent rolls since I shot too many rolls...

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 07-06-2018   #11
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
They probably don't want portra sales to be affected
I don't think the two films are in danger of being confused. It's probably Ektar that would be threatened - because why use a super-testy fine-grained film susceptible to ills from temperature and overexposure -- when you could use the technology of 100 speed film from the 80s? /sarcasm

D

Old 07-06-2018   #12
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
Thanks for the info, Dante.

I think concerning the North American market two cases are possible:
1. American distributers import the film from Europe.
2. If the film is a success in Europe, Kodak Alaris will also offer it officially in North America.

All in all, this is good news I think.
Still, (1) is a waste of fuel and time and (2) this film was already a success as Gold 100 up to about 10 years ago.

Dante

Old 07-06-2018   #13
Huss

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Gold 100. But Pro-Image just sounds so much more professional!

Old 07-06-2018   #14
Prest_400
Multiformat

I heard of it quite a bit and thought it was just Gold 100 by itself. In the current reduced market I wonder how similar (or same) Lomo CN100 may be to this. Similar thoughts for the CN400 & 800. I never tried Gold 100 myself unless it is the same as Lomo.
Recently there was the announcement about disposables, loaded with an 800 film (Ultramax/Gold line). They only market Portra stand alone but that 800 could be sold through Lomography as well.

Funny the quieter world of dPreview reports this. Comments, aside of the couple trolls that always arise, can have interesting information.

Am again a bit more of a poor man so I can see grabbing a bit of it

Old 07-06-2018   #15
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Gold 100. But Pro-Image just sounds so much more professional!
My observation is that ProImage 100 is rebranded/slightly downgraded Kodak ProFoto100(discontinued). The colour palettes of the two are very similar to my eyes. Both are labelled as Professional but dissed by some users.

Definitely not Gold to my eyes.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 07-06-2018   #16
brennanphotoguy

A friend bought me some of this when he was overseas a long time ago. I used it all and really liked it. It would be nice if they brought it to the NA market.

Old 07-06-2018   #17
dourbalistar

Fogdog Blog has some nice image samples from the Northern California coast. In the first post, he mentions that a friend brings it from Mexico:
http://www.fogdog-photography.com/fo...of-photography
http://www.fogdog-photography.com/fo...-pro-image-100

flickr

Old 07-06-2018   #18
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
I heard of it quite a bit and thought it was just Gold 100 by itself. In the current reduced market I wonder how similar (or same) Lomo CN100 may be to this. Similar thoughts for the CN400 & 800. I never tried Gold 100 myself unless it is the same as Lomo.
Recently there was the announcement about disposables, loaded with an 800 film (Ultramax/Gold line). They only market Portra stand alone but that 800 could be sold through Lomography as well.

Funny the quieter world of dPreview reports this. Comments, aside of the couple trolls that always arise, can have interesting information.

Am again a bit more of a poor man so I can see grabbing a bit of it
A few years ago there was a US based ebay seller that was selling fresh 5 packs of ProImage 100 for $15, so I bought 10 rolls of it. In my experience it is a very different film than Gold 100. The current 35mm Lomo Color 100 is very very similar and could be the same film as ProImage 100.
Personally, I didn't really like ProImage 100. I found it kinda grainy, with a somewhat dull color palette, but that is my personal preference.

Here are a few samples of mine. Shot with a Pentax ZX-5N with 43/1.9 and 35/2.4, scanned with my Nikon Coolscan V .

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 07-06-2018   #19
GarageBoy

I've always heard of it, but was hoping it was as good as the gold 100 of my childhood... Is it more similar to the colorplus stuff?

Old 07-06-2018   #20
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

The colours this film produces looks so 1970s

Old 07-06-2018   #21
mpaniagua

This film used to be very popular on Mexico. My late father used that till he stopped taking film photography. I also used a little (mostly use b/w though).

I think it is somehow different than Gold 100. I like the skin tones it produce.

Best regards

Marcelo

Old 07-06-2018   #22
julio1fer

I shot a lot of ProImage 100 back when there were good color labs in my city. I also shot quite a lot of Gold 100 which was definitely a different film.

ProImage had more subdued color than Gold 100. The boxes said ProImage was special for portrait and skin tones. It was sold in packs of 5 cartridges only IIRC. Pros used it a lot for weddings, events, and people shots.

Gold 100 was better for landscapes IMHO.

Old 07-07-2018   #23
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Personally, I didn't really like ProImage 100. I found it kinda grainy, with a somewhat dull color palette, but that is my personal preference.
That pretty much mirrors my experience with that film when I tried it some years ago. Purchased directly from Kodak distributor in Slovenia (Europe). The price was really low (by far the lowest priced film at that time). Didn't feel it was particularly good so never bought more of it.

Macodirect.de has had this film available for a while now for what I think is a pretty ridiculous price. I'd rather shoot any other colour negative film that is priced lower or spend just a bit more for pro Kodak/Fuji films. But that's just me. I think Kodak Alaris is starting to realise that what might keep the film demand alive for some more years is versatility and not worry so much about marketing certain films only to certain markets/certain customers.

Old 07-07-2018   #24
Prest_400
Multiformat

Had a Mju I thrift shop find so I ended up ordering a brick of this plus some Ilford Pan 400 from Thailand (not Kentmere, not Ilford). Thread came quite timely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post

Macodirect.de has had this film available for a while now for what I think is a pretty ridiculous price. I'd rather shoot any other colour negative film that is priced lower or spend just a bit more for pro Kodak/Fuji films.
Checked a bit and Profoto from Asia is almost the cheapest film. On its level lies Lomo CN, Fuji C200 and Kodak Color Plus. From large retailers these are cheap but sometimes locally not so... Couldn't benefit off really cheap macodirect shipping this time.

Kodak Color Plus I haven't and think I'm gonna buy a roll tomorrow to shoot in the meantime the other film is in the post.

Old 07-10-2018   #25
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

I just got back to my computer and am gonna share some more shots with this film. Straight out of scanner, but it has been batch-processed by lab so we lose some unique look of the film here.

Pentax ME +40/2.8:

Olympus XA3:

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 07-10-2018   #26
Leica All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Michael Bialecki frequently posts great looking pictures in the ZM Distagon 35 1.4 thread that I think are all on this film. Michael, if you're reading this, or anyone really, could you please post some higher resolution scans and share how you post processed them? That would be very helpful in forming an opinion about this film for the many of us who can now finally buy it!

Thanks retinax, these days, I only really use two types of film, Kodak Pro Image 100 and Kodak Porta 400. I use 400 when it starts to get dark or if I am shooting in very low light conditions, otherwise, Kodak Pro Image is my "go to" film. I love it, it has a look that I like.

I don't post process any of my photos that are posted on here, everything is how I got them from my lab. I got a couple of images scanned hi-res last year for a commercial job I did, but I don't have access to them at this moment.

In Bangkok, the film has been steadily increasing in price the last couple of years, I pay 600 Baht for 5 rolls (about 3.60 USD a roll).

I should say that I like the results that I get with this film with my modern Zeiss 35mm Distagon more than with my V1 50mm Summilux.

Whenever I meet other film photographers around the world, I usually give them a roll or two of this film to try out.

[/url]

[url=[/IMG]
cheers, michael

Old 07-10-2018   #27
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbialecki View Post
Wonderful series, but this is a priceless expression!

flickr

Old 07-19-2018   #28
HHPhoto

Overall, I think that is really good news!
More variety in the amateur color negative film segment. And an ISO 100/21 amateur CN film has been lacking for some years in the market. And lots of photographers don't want to pay the higher prices for professional Kodak CN film. Especially after the latest Kodak price increases.

On the other hand:
From an ISO 100/21 we expect finer grain, better sharpness and higher resolution compared to ISO 200/24 and ISO 400/27 films.
And due to my tests Pro Image 100 does not deliver that.
No advantages in comparison to Kodak Gold 200. If you overexpose Gold 200 2/3 to 1 stop it is even a bit finer grained than Pro Image 100.
And Fujifilm C200 and Superia X-Tra 400 both surpass Pro Image 100 and Gold 200 in fineness of grain, sharpness and resolution. They have the best detail rendition of all current amateur CN films.

So what remains is the different color rendition of Pro Image 100. Which is indeed significantly different to Gold 200.
That is a matter of taste: If you like it, go for it. Pro Image is more subdued than Gold 200.
But Portra 160 is also more subdued than Gold 200. And offers finer grain than both.

I prefer Portra 160 for the situations when I need more subdued color rendition. That is of course subjective and just my personal taste. When I want higher color saturation with color negative films I prefer Fuji C200 and Superia X-Tra 400.

Cheers, Jan

Old 07-19-2018   #29
Huss

Porsche QZ35W, Kodak ProImage 100

Old 08-19-2018   #30
sakrafd

Does anyone know if this film is available in Taipei, Taiwan (and if so, where to purchase it)? I'll be heading there next month and would love to try it.

Thanks!
dave

Old 08-19-2018   #31
Steve M.

It's hard to get a feel for how the film looks from the images here. Some are very subdued in colours w/ a limited palette, some look warm in a Kodak Gold manner, and some are punchy with bold, cold leaning saturated colors! I wonder if it's due to post processing, different labs, exposures, or all of the above? It's a film worth trying though for sure.