Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Flash for Leica M6 TTL - compatibility with other brands
Old 05-17-2018   #1
bernardonfaria

Flash for Leica M6 TTL - compatibility with other brands

Hi everyone!
I just got a Leica M6 TTL and was wondering if I could use my Minolta CLE flash on it until I get a SF20/24.
Do you think it's possible? The CLE/CLE flash combo allow for TTL so if they worked it would be nice, I wouldn't have to buy another flash (and the Minolta flash is more compact in comparison to Leica's).

Thank you!

Old 05-17-2018   #2
presspass
filmshooter

I'm not familiar with the Minolta CLE flash. The M6TTl works with any flash with the proper adapter. Metz made, and may still make, the replaceable shoe unit to use their flashes with this camera. It will work with any auto flash unit and you might find that more convenient. I use mine with a Vivitar 2800 auto flash - it's small, takes 4AA batteries, and has a decent range. There are two f stops available with this unit. Be aware that if the camera's battery dies, you will not have any flash capability. The camera still works but it will not fire any flash of any kind. The CLE flash probably won't harm the circuitry for the camera, so you could just try it and see what happens.

Last edited by presspass : 05-17-2018 at 06:22. Reason: additional comment

Old 05-19-2018   #3
bernardonfaria

Thank you for your insight! I hadn't realised that the shoe was different. I'm a bit afraid of trying the CLE flash on it, with fear that it might damage something. I guess I'll just source out that Vivitar!

Old 05-19-2018   #4
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

I can't give you an answer but I might be able to point you in the right direction.

You need to search for the specification of the cameras and flashes and then see what you see because there are ISO spec's and there are individual makers' specifications and that will be where the solution lies.

That's because the hot shoe contact started as just an earth connection and a centre contact and then the makers started thinking about it and they all had different thoughts and all put contacts in different places to do different things.

Anyway, I'll wish you luck with your research.

Regards, David

Last edited by David Hughes : 05-19-2018 at 01:56. Reason: Extra LFCR's...

Old 05-19-2018   #5
Bill Clark

Here is some info:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/minolta...inolta_cle.pdf

Page 34 has info on CLE flash.

This is a tricky area as manufacturers usually designed specific products and the electronics so as there is communication between the flash and camera that is needed with TTL. TTL is a system that works with the camera settings and the flash, distance from subject(s) to be photographd, measuring the light needed, then firing the flash. They are usually designed for specific manufacturers cameras. Nikon had their system as well as Canon and others. Some manufacturers designed adaptors where their flashes would work, say a Metz on a Nikon or they built in the units the electronics to talk to each other, in an electrical way.

Other issues. Flash trigger voltage was a problem, particularly with some older flash units.

With my business I used TTL only in certain situations and I froze the camera settings with “manual” letting the computer only control the flash. I found TTL can be easily fooled during some situations.

What did I do? I used off camera flash and ran the flash & camera in manual mode. I controlled exposure on camera with the aperture setting (f stop) as well as the iso. It’s simple with digital slr cameras.

To me, using an on camera flash is like “deer in headlights” or a person attempting to makie a sculpture in just two dimensions. To me, the actual sculpture is what we ‘d be after not the drawing as the final product. Kind of like a rendering but it’s only a step to the final costume.

With photography, we only have two dimensions to work with but we have light and shadows and with those two ingredients we can give the viewer the illusion of three dimensions with our photographs.

Information on TTL flash:

https://strobepro.com/blogs/news/976...r-manual-flash

Whew!

Long winded memo here!

For making photographs, do you think controlled lighting is important?

Old 05-19-2018   #6
rolfe

The only flashes that will give you TTL capability are the SF20/24 and a couple of Metz models with the appropriate Leica TTL module.

Any flash that has an auto mode will work in that mode.

Rolfe

Old 05-19-2018   #7
john_s

I found that the SF24 was much more flexible than the SF20 for my preferred use with my M6TTL. I like to use fill flash at a very low level. I haven't done it for years and my memory is a bit hazy, but a look at the manuals will probably make it clear.

Old 05-20-2018   #8
David Hughes
David Hughes

The CLE is all electronic, I guess the trigger voltage will be critical if you don't want "any old flash" to fry the CLE...

Regards, David