Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Canon 28mm f/2.8 LTM - how to take off front element?
Old 05-10-2018   #1
p-c

Canon 28mm f/2.8 LTM - how to take off front element?

Hello,

I'm cleaning the aperture blades of a Canon 28/2.8 LTM lens and I'm done with the back of the blades and also relubricating the focusing ring. However, the usual front retaining ring to take off the front element is hard to see on this lens. No small screw to unscrew on the side of the outer ring and no small dumps for the spanner anywhere in front. I'm not sure if it should just be unscrewed, - if so the recessed black inner element or the outer chrome ring...?

Have any of you disassembled the front element of this lens before and how did you manage?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-10-2018   #2
02Pilot
Malcontent

I don't recall specifically from this lens, but typically if there are no detents for a spanner, you'll need to use a rubber plug or stopper to twist the front ring off by friction. Be sure to find one that is shaped in such a way that it doesn't mar the front element.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 05-10-2018   #3
rcubed
Canadian

^Yup!
I got mine from microtools.
https://www.micro-tools.com/pages/se...lens+ring+tool
Works very well

Old 05-10-2018   #4
p-c

Thank you for replying, 02Pilot. I just ordered a set of rubber tools and will give it a try when they arrive. Would be nice to know for certain though, so if anyone has worked on this lens and knows, please share .

Old 05-10-2018   #5
p-c

Thanks rcubed, I just ordered these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2YDFU61Q3TGJD.

Old 11-23-2018   #6
yossarian123
Sam I Am

Did this ever work out ? I'm trying to figure out disassembly on my 28/2.8 as well. Anyone have experience with this?

Old 11-23-2018   #7
aizan

i gave up trying to take out the front element of my 28/2.8. the friction tool didn't work.

Old 11-24-2018   #8
jonmanjiro

That's because it was never going to work. You cannot remove the Canon LTM 28mm f2.8 front element from the front of the lens. First you need to separate the optical cell from the barrel of the lens. You do that by loosening and removing the retaining ring on the back of the lens and pushing the optical cell backwards and out of the barrel. The lens is 6 elements in 4 groups - 3 elements in 2 groups screwed into the front of the aperture mechanism housing and 3 elements in 2 groups screwed into the back of the aperture mechanism housing. First you unscrew the 3 elements in 2 groups screwed into the front of the aperture mechanism housing as one piece, then you can separate these two groups by unscrewing them. That will give you access to the underside of the front optical group.

Old 11-24-2018   #9
Timmyjoe

Thanks for posting this jonmanjiro. I've had mine completely apart, but for the life of me I can't remember the whole procedure.

Both the Canon 28mm f2.8 LTM and the Canon 35mm f1.8 LTM come completely apart and can be thoroughly cleaned. They're a bit confusing, but it's nice to be able to take a 60 year old lens and bring it back to original condition.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-26-2018   #10
aizan

thanks, jon!!! i might get mine recoated by arax after all (previous owner or seller polished them off).