Ilford hp5 is finer grain possible?
Old 01-24-2018   #1
jbrubaker

Ilford hp5 is finer grain possible?

I just developed a roll of hp5+ using d76 1:1 as I used to do years ago for tri-x. I am surprised at how grainy the negs are - more than I remembered from a few years back when I shot film. Is there a way to use Ilford hp5 and get a more moderate grain? thanks, john.

Old 01-24-2018   #2
Highway 61
Revisited

Properly exposed at 400 and developed in D76 1+1 @20C, HP5+ is not particularly grainy. It depends on what you call "grainy".

Using Perceptol and exposing at 200 will reduce grain, but quite marginally, at the cost of one f-stop lost and very low contrast.

Old 01-24-2018   #3
ACullen

Perceptol does clearly reduce the grain in my experience but with some lack of sharpness. The flip side of lowered contrast and lowered grain is a beautiful tonal range.

I've tried Ilfosol 3 with HP5 rated at 400 and really liked the overall result. It's now my first choice for HP5 and Delta 100 at box speed. Pushing by one stop gives good results with marginal increase in grain. Pushing two stops when using Ilfosol 3 is unwise. Thin negs result with massive loss in shadow detail.

HP5 in DDX works well but I tend to reserve this for it rated at 800 and above (mainly 1600). DDX doesn't have the same acuity that I like about my results with Ilfosol 3.

Old 01-24-2018   #4
kxl
Social Documentary

At box speed, HP5+ in HC-110 is like 'buttah.' Dilution B works although a lot of folks opt for Dilution H for longer dev time.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 01-24-2018   #5
kevin_v

Jumping off of Keith's comment, I just scanned a roll that I developed in HC-110 Dil H, and I'm quite happy with the results, specifically w.r.t. grain.

The roll was exposed at ISO 400, and developing was at 20C for 11 min w/ inversions every 1.5 min.

Last edited by kevin_v : 01-24-2018 at 14:34. Reason: image embedding

Old 01-24-2018   #6
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
At box speed, HP5+ in HC-110 is like 'buttah.' Dilution B works although a lot of folks opt for Dilution H for longer dev time.
I don't use dilution H but do love B with HP5 at box speed. I wet print with an Ilford MG head which is a diffusion source and I'm really happy with tonality and minimal grain. 8x12 prints don't show any noticeable grain.

To get the best results, as always it's important to expose and develop properly. Bad exposures and processing give bad results.

Old 01-24-2018   #7
x-ray

Ive made this comment several times that film wasn't designed to scan. Film is dedigned to wet print so results are going to look different if scanned. Most consumer scanners like Plustek, Epson, Nikon use a hard LED light source that exagerate grain where as pro scanners like Imacon, creo Kodak eversmart, Fuji Finescan such as the Lanovia Quattro all have cold cathode lights that soften grain.

Old 01-24-2018   #8
02Pilot
Malcontent

FWIW, I've found HP5+ to be astonishingly low grain in Caffenol-C-H(RS). Being a homebrew developer it may not be something you're interested in, but it can work well with this film. I can post samples if you like.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 01-24-2018   #9
Perks

I switched from D-76 to Xtol and see noticeably less grain.
I scan with a plustek.
There's a small increase in speed also. I shoot at 400 and get better shadow detail.

Old 01-24-2018   #10
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks View Post
I switched from D-76 to Xtol and see noticeably less grain.
I scan with a plustek.
There's a small increase in speed also. I shoot at 400 and get better shadow detail.
I think the least amount of grain I've ever had with any film has been with Xtol. Amazing stuff!

Old 01-24-2018   #11
jbrubaker

Thanks for all the replies. Since I do have a bottle of HC110, I will try that next. I have used Xtol in the past with good results, but only with tri-x. Caffenol sounds interesting, but I'm not sure about consistancy with home mixed developers. regards, john.

Old 01-24-2018   #12
SaveKodak

You could shoot Delta 400, TMAX 400 or C41 process Ilford XP2 Super for extremely fine grained 400 speed films.

As another commenter noted, most scanners accentuate the grain. What would be a very fine grained image in the darkroom is much grainier in a scan.

Old 01-25-2018   #13
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I really like Agfa Studionol for HP5+ at box speed. Now available as R09 Spezial from Compard. DD-X also seems to give less pronounced grain, and +1 on HC-110b.

These are my three developers of choice for HP5+ in no particular order.

I only wet print film however, so do not see grain in the same fashion.

Old 01-25-2018   #14
Erik van Straten

Not only developer influences the grain, the lens does too, believe it or not. I've found out that when scanning Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5 negatives (Tmax400) you'll get a finer grain than when scanning Summicron 50mm f/2 negatives on the same film.

However, on wet prints (made with a Focomat IIc) there is no such difference visible.

Erik.

Old 01-25-2018   #15
leicapixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
Ive made this comment several times that film wasn't designed to scan. Film is dedigned to wet print so results are going to look different if scanned. Most consumer scanners like Plustek, Epson, Nikon use a hard LED light source that exagerate grain where as pro scanners like Imacon, creo Kodak eversmart, Fuji Finescan such as the Lanovia Quattro all have cold cathode lights that soften grain.
Right on!
Take any negative and print in darkroom.
Hardly any grain! Some "grain" is slight reticulation,
if chemicals and was water not same temperature.

Old 01-25-2018   #16
Bingley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_v View Post
Jumping off of Keith's comment, I just scanned a roll that I developed in HC-110 Dil H, and I'm quite happy with the results, specifically w.r.t. grain.

The roll was exposed at ISO 400, and developing was at 20C for 11 min w/ inversions every 1.5 min.
Very nice results, and thanks for the dev time tip. HC 110 dil. h is one of my two go-to developers (the other is Diafine). Will try it with some HP5 soon.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 01-25-2018   #17
benlees

HP5 from 250 to 400 with HC 110h is a great combo. Lots of detail and smooth contrast, but the grain is small.

Old 01-25-2018   #18
Ccoppola82

I prefer a longer tonal range vs "fine grain". Barry Thorntons book "edge of darkness" is a great read and demonstrates well how grain = perceived sharpness. In digital terms I would look at what sharpness or clarity sliders do.....they increase "digital grain". If you're shooting hp5 anywhere from 200-800 you should get some nice grain and if developed in a developer that gives a full tonal range, you will have plenty of options to increase your contrast in digital or wet print.

Old 01-25-2018   #19
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

My friend Timothy Briner shot his Boonville project mostly on HP5 (and FP4). It was shot on a mix of 4x5 and 120 film, but I processed all of it in HC110, mostly dilution B. You can see the work at http://timothybriner.com/boonville

Ok, this is larger film than 35mm, but it shows what's possible. It looks pretty good in 35mm, too.

Last edited by drewbarb : 01-25-2018 at 20:49. Reason: Because I can't work the inter webs

Old 01-26-2018   #20
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Perceptol.

Old 02-03-2018   #21
rolfe

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier...

When I wet print HP5+ and Tri-X I can't tell the difference between them.

When I scan, HP5+ has much more grain than the Tri-X.

This has been true with any number of scanners -- Noritsu, Imacon, drum scanner...

Why? I have no idea, but HP5+ is clearly not optimized for scanning.

It is an otherwise excellent film, and these comments are about 35mm scans. At MF and larger, I don't think grain is an issue.

Rolfe

Old 02-03-2018   #22
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier...

When I wet print HP5+ and Tri-X I can't tell the difference between them.

When I scan, HP5+ has much more grain than the Tri-X.

This has been true with any number of scanners -- Noritsu, Imacon, drum scanner...

Why? I have no idea, but HP5+ is clearly not optimized for scanning.

It is an otherwise excellent film, and these comments are about 35mm scans. At MF and larger, I don't think grain is an issue.

Rolfe
I've never noticed this. I find HP5+ to have very little grain when scanned, even when pushed a couple stops. Here's one processed normally:

And this was pushed to 1600:

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Old 02-03-2018   #23
Perks

They look fine grained indeed, what developer did you use 02Pilot?

Old 02-03-2018   #24
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks View Post
They look fine grained indeed, what developer did you use 02Pilot?
Homebrewed Caffenol. Standard dev is C-H(RS) for [email protected], 1min agitations, +2 push is C-L for [email protected], stand w/two turns at 35min.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Old 02-04-2018   #25
RObert Budding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrubaker View Post
I just developed a roll of hp5+ using d76 1:1 as I used to do years ago for tri-x. I am surprised at how grainy the negs are - more than I remembered from a few years back when I shot film. Is there a way to use Ilford hp5 and get a more moderate grain? thanks, john.
I've usually printed B&W in a darkroom. Even then, I'm usually unhappy with enlarging 35mm beyond 8x10 (that's with borders). I used to use D76, but I'm now only using XTOL.

You could move up to medium or large format.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 02-04-2018   #26
Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
Homebrewed Caffenol. Standard dev is C-H(RS) for [email protected], 1min agitations, +2 push is C-L for [email protected], stand w/two turns at 35min.
Caffenol stand? I will have to look into that one of these days.

Old 02-05-2018   #27
Bill Clark

I just bought from B & H some 120 HP5 Plus. I’m going to develop with Mic-X from Freestyle.

When I use a 35 film camera the biggest enlargement I make is usually 8x10. Even when using slower speed films.

At any rate, medium format helps me with films with higher ASA.

Old 02-05-2018   #28
Ronald M

Split D23 or divided D23 unless the film has been reformulated to thin emulsion.

In that case, shoot at 200 and reduce developer time 20%.

Old 02-05-2018   #29
jbrubaker

I switched from D-76 to a fresh batch of XTOL. I'm now getting the kind of negs I want - full film speed and nice tight grain with high acutance. As some of you have noted, wet printing will probably give even more pleasing prints, but it's not always possible. thanks john.