Pyro developers and scanning
Old 01-18-2018   #1
stompyq

Pyro developers and scanning

I'm interested in using pyro based developers (ABC, PMK etc). Do any of the advantages/disadvantages of these developers carry over to a hybrid/scanning based workflow as opposed to a wet print workflow? I realize the question is a broad one but would like to know personal user experiences. I'm currently using Diafine and feel like I want to start experimenting with different developer film combinations.

I do not wet print (and don't have any plans to) so would appreciate it if the responses stayed focused on a scanning or hybrid workflow.

Old 01-18-2018   #2
mconnealy

I think a lot depends on your specific scanner and scanning software. A lot of people choose to use color profiles for the initial scan and then convert the image to grayscale. It is worth doing some careful comparisons with a particular film and developer combination because there can be quite a lot of variation. I am mostly using PMK Pyro and Kentmere 100 now and am scanning with an ancient Epson 2450 Epson flatbed and Silverscan Light software. I use a Konica color profile for the scanning and then convert to b&w. I like the resultant tonality, but the grain sometimes seems overly prominent.

Old 01-18-2018   #3
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I use PMK and scan the film, and the results, for me, are magnificent.

Ilford FP-4 Plus in PMK

Ilford FP-4 Plus in PMK

Ilford HP-5 Plus in PMK

Ilford HP-5 Plus in PMK

Ilford HP-5 Plus in PMK

I like Ilford FP-4 and HP-5 best for PMK, but I've gotten great results scanning PMK negs with Kodak Tmax 100 and Tmax 400, Fomapan 100, and Fuji Acros 100.

Old 01-19-2018   #4
mconnealy

I see there is a very good discussion underway now about scanning PMK Pyro images at Photonet. Rick Drawbridge discusses many of the details of his scanning techniques for PMK which produce consistently brilliant images.