Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Leica M3 with Summicron Collapsible, round light leak!
Old 12-03-2017   #1
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Leica M3 with Summicron Collapsible, round light leak!

Hello everyone

I get this round light leak on alot of frames (but not every frame) when i shoot on my Leica M3.
I have a feeling its because of the collapsible lens, but i'm not sure.

anybody know how to avoid or fix this
or can see on the picture below what is causing it?
https://ibb.co/e3Odhw

picture of multible leaks put together
https://ibb.co/iEuqEb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan 11.jpg (33.7 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by Josiahkonder : 12-03-2017 at 09:18. Reason: more descriptive picture
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #2
Steve M.
Registered User
 
Steve M. is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,382
Do you have another lens to try on the camera? If not, maybe you could tape up the outside of the lens and shoot it again. That looks more like a shutter pinhole issue to me.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #3
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
No I don't have another lens unfortunately .
Ill try tapping it and shooting one roll.. Where exactly do you mean taping the lens? like the part that is exposed when you pull out from the collapsed state?

I'll check out the pinhole issue on google now aswell
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #4
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
I've now carefully checked the curtain with a flashlight. Doesn't seem to be any pinhole at all. totally black.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #5
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,602
Is the leak always exactly on the same spot?

Maybe a screw from the accessory shoe is missing.

Another possibillity is a light leak through the back door.

A leak through the frame counter is also possible.

Erik.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #6
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
here a picture of multible leaks put together: https://ibb.co/iEuqEb
they seem to differ slightly to left and right but stay on the bottom of the frame.
would love to figure this out. so annoying
thanks for the help!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #7
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,602
Could be that this leak comes from the hole of the carrying eye in the film chamber. Try to cover this on the inside with some putty (black wax or childrens clay). Is it an old or a newer M3? Budda-ear eyelets or round ones?

Erik.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #8
rolfe
Registered User
 
rolfe's Avatar
 
rolfe is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Egremont, MA
Posts: 391
I had this identical problem on my M3. Turned out to be a broken main roller, which was an expensive repair unfortunately. Other possibilities are the accessory shoe, light baffles, or frame counter. As you probably know, since it is shows up on the lower left, the leak would be at the upper right as you look at the back of the camera.

Rolfe
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #9
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Could be that this leak comes from the hole of the carrying eye in the film chamber. Try to cover this on the inside with some putty (black wax or childrens clay). Is it an old or a newer M3? Budda-ear eyelets or round ones?

Erik.
it is an older budda-ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
I had this identical problem on my M3. Turned out to be a broken main roller, which was an expensive repair unfortunately. Other possibilities are the accessory shoe, light baffles, or frame counter. As you probably know, since it is shows up on the lower left, the leak would be at the upper right as you look at the back of the camera.

Rolfe
I didnt know this - good information.
man i hope its not a problem that i cant fix myself...
broken main roller?
any way to confirm this is what is wrong?


thanks for the help again!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #10
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
but i guess I can confirm it is not coming from the lens?
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #11
Ronald M
Registered User
 
Ronald M is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,526
Take the camera into a nearly dark room, open the back and shine a small keychain light around the outside while looking at the inside.

The back comes off with a pin top left corner of the back door.

Look for curtain leaks with camera cocked and uncocked.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #12
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,602
It certainly is not the lens. Also not a broken roller. If so, the camera does not work anymore.

There must be a small hole somewere in the camera through wich the film can receive light. If the shutter is OK, the most probable place for a hole is the film chamber (the room of the removable take-up spool).

You will not find the hole by looking. The hole must be very, very small. Try to reason where it can be. Then close the hole with some putty and test again.

Erik.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #13
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis
 
p.giannakis's Avatar
 
p.giannakis is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Stafford - UK
Posts: 2,368
Check the second curtain to see if it is in good shape. I had similar light leaks just before pinholes formed on the second curtain.
__________________
Regards,
Pan


The Monochrome Archives
Instagram



  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #14
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Thanks so much ill try that, but its hard to determine anything to be honest.

can i also rule out the backplate?
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #15
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
Check the second curtain to see if it is in good shape. I had similar light leaks just before pinholes formed on the second curtain.
thanks
but I've already checked both cutains ... : /
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #16
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
It certainly is not the lens. Also not a broken roller. If so, the camera does not work anymore.

There must be a small hole somewere in the camera through wich the film can receive light. If the shutter is OK, the most probable place for a hole is the film chamber (the room of the removable take-up spool).

You will not find the hole by looking. The hole must be very, very small. Try to reason where it can be. Then close the hole with some putty and test again.

Erik.
Hard to determine anything, so wouldnt even know where to put some putty if I had some. everything looks fine inside the camera.

Not sure what to do here. :/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #17
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,602
Then you'll have to bring the camera to a competent repairman. Take the examples on film with you.

Erik.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017   #18
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Thanks for the help Erik!
appreciate it

Best
J
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2018   #19
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Unfortunately everything I have tried so far does not work..
anyone got any other ideas?
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2018   #20
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is online now
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,907
I would take some black tape and try to patch up some suspect areas on the camera body, one at a time to see if you can find the exact location on the camera body where light is leaking in. Start with the film frame counter,
.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2018   #21
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps
 
davidnewtonguitars's Avatar
 
davidnewtonguitars is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 1,416
Hi, I'm dealing with a leak on my M2 that is similar, it seems to be leaking past the rangefinder (small) window, probably some light baffling come askew. The shutters work fine, the leak goes to the film at the same time as the image is exposed. I recommend a strong small flashlight and a very dark room, removing the back door, the shutter kept open at B, and poking the light all around the upper plate with your eye close to the film gate, looking toward the upper right of the forward part of the insides.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2018   #22
rolfe
Registered User
 
rolfe's Avatar
 
rolfe is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Egremont, MA
Posts: 391
I think the flash sync port is a possibility. I think I've narrowed my similar problem down to one or both of them. Tape them over and test...

Rolfe
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018   #23
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire
 
Dez's Avatar
 
Dez is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minnesota North Woods
Posts: 1,532
I'm willing to bet the leak continues onto the edge of the film, past the edge of the frame. That would rule out the lens or curtains as the source of the problem.

I would suspect the top edge of the back door, or the wind side strap lug. Try covering these areas with black tape and leaving the camera in strong light for a while. There may be some top side candidates as well, but that is less likely. Try black tape over the flash sockets.

Cheers,
Dez
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018   #24
Greyscale
Registered User
 
Greyscale's Avatar
 
Greyscale is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Dodge Iowa
Age: 59
Posts: 4,622
This leak is coming from the front of the front of the camera, not the back, or it would be red and not white. Are you using a lens shade? My initial reaction is this is an internal reflection from the inside of the lens barrel.
__________________
my flickr

My RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018   #25
charjohncarter
Registered User
 
charjohncarter's Avatar
 
charjohncarter is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Danville, CA, USA
Posts: 8,826
Why don't people that have light leaks ever show the complete film area. There is a lot that can be learned by the sprocket hole area. Even with this is incomplete image it does look like the leak bleeds into the area that would or might rule out the lens.

Also a good way to rule out the lens is to put a body cap on (light tight) and go out side and shoot at low speed a few frames.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018   #26
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 78
Posts: 6,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post

Also a good way to rule out the lens is to put a body cap on (light tight) and go out side and shoot at low speed a few frames.
Also you could try putting a tiny key chain flashlight, left on, inside the camera and take the camera into the darkroom or closet to look for the leak to show through from the outside.
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2018   #27
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I'm willing to bet the leak continues onto the edge of the film, past the edge of the frame. That would rule out the lens or curtains as the source of the problem.

I would suspect the top edge of the back door, or the wind side strap lug. Try covering these areas with black tape and leaving the camera in strong light for a while. There may be some top side candidates as well, but that is less likely. Try black tape over the flash sockets.

Cheers,
Dez
good point
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2018   #28
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
Hi, I'm dealing with a leak on my M2 that is similar, it seems to be leaking past the rangefinder (small) window, probably some light baffling come askew. The shutters work fine, the leak goes to the film at the same time as the image is exposed. I recommend a strong small flashlight and a very dark room, removing the back door, the shutter kept open at B, and poking the light all around the upper plate with your eye close to the film gate, looking toward the upper right of the forward part of the insides.
Thanks for the info david - I'll give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
This leak is coming from the front of the front of the camera, not the back, or it would be red and not white. Are you using a lens shade? My initial reaction is this is an internal reflection from the inside of the lens barrel.
Not using send shade to be frank.. the light leak also happens when i'm not in strong light, so does that not rule out internal reflection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Why don't people that have light leaks ever show the complete film area. There is a lot that can be learned by the sprocket hole area. Even with this is incomplete image it does look like the leak bleeds into the area that would or might rule out the lens.

Also a good way to rule out the lens is to put a body cap on (light tight) and go out side and shoot at low speed a few frames.
There is both a picture of a whole frame and then multiple frames on top of eachother.
I can post more pictures if you think it could help ?


Thanks everyone
really appreciate the tips. Very fustrating. to take it to the camera store here is very expensive.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2018   #29
Josiahkonder
Registered User
 
Josiahkonder is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
maybe this will help ?
look at the red light from the crossway and the redness of the flareish light leaks.
any thoughts anyone?
https://imgur.com/t9KwMLj

  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 16:50.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.