Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Leica M3 with Summicron Collapsible, round light leak!
Old 12-03-2017   #1
Josiahkonder

Leica M3 with Summicron Collapsible, round light leak!

Hello everyone

I get this round light leak on alot of frames (but not every frame) when i shoot on my Leica M3.
I have a feeling its because of the collapsible lens, but i'm not sure.

anybody know how to avoid or fix this
or can see on the picture below what is causing it?
https://ibb.co/e3Odhw

picture of multible leaks put together
https://ibb.co/iEuqEb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan 11.jpg (33.7 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by Josiahkonder : 12-03-2017 at 09:18. Reason: more descriptive picture

Old 12-03-2017   #2
Steve M.

Do you have another lens to try on the camera? If not, maybe you could tape up the outside of the lens and shoot it again. That looks more like a shutter pinhole issue to me.

Old 12-03-2017   #3
Josiahkonder

No I don't have another lens unfortunately .
Ill try tapping it and shooting one roll.. Where exactly do you mean taping the lens? like the part that is exposed when you pull out from the collapsed state?

I'll check out the pinhole issue on google now aswell

Old 12-03-2017   #4
Josiahkonder

I've now carefully checked the curtain with a flashlight. Doesn't seem to be any pinhole at all. totally black.

Old 12-03-2017   #5
Erik van Straten

Is the leak always exactly on the same spot?

Maybe a screw from the accessory shoe is missing.

Another possibillity is a light leak through the back door.

A leak through the frame counter is also possible.

Erik.

Old 12-03-2017   #6
Josiahkonder

here a picture of multible leaks put together: https://ibb.co/iEuqEb
they seem to differ slightly to left and right but stay on the bottom of the frame.
would love to figure this out. so annoying
thanks for the help!

Old 12-03-2017   #7
Erik van Straten

Could be that this leak comes from the hole of the carrying eye in the film chamber. Try to cover this on the inside with some putty (black wax or childrens clay). Is it an old or a newer M3? Budda-ear eyelets or round ones?

Erik.

Old 12-03-2017   #8
rolfe

I had this identical problem on my M3. Turned out to be a broken main roller, which was an expensive repair unfortunately. Other possibilities are the accessory shoe, light baffles, or frame counter. As you probably know, since it is shows up on the lower left, the leak would be at the upper right as you look at the back of the camera.

Rolfe

Old 12-03-2017   #9
Josiahkonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Could be that this leak comes from the hole of the carrying eye in the film chamber. Try to cover this on the inside with some putty (black wax or childrens clay). Is it an old or a newer M3? Budda-ear eyelets or round ones?

Erik.
it is an older budda-ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
I had this identical problem on my M3. Turned out to be a broken main roller, which was an expensive repair unfortunately. Other possibilities are the accessory shoe, light baffles, or frame counter. As you probably know, since it is shows up on the lower left, the leak would be at the upper right as you look at the back of the camera.

Rolfe
I didnt know this - good information.
man i hope its not a problem that i cant fix myself...
broken main roller?
any way to confirm this is what is wrong?

thanks for the help again!

Old 12-03-2017   #10
Josiahkonder

but i guess I can confirm it is not coming from the lens?

Old 12-03-2017   #11
Ronald M

Take the camera into a nearly dark room, open the back and shine a small keychain light around the outside while looking at the inside.

The back comes off with a pin top left corner of the back door.

Look for curtain leaks with camera cocked and uncocked.

Old 12-03-2017   #12
Erik van Straten

It certainly is not the lens. Also not a broken roller. If so, the camera does not work anymore.

There must be a small hole somewere in the camera through wich the film can receive light. If the shutter is OK, the most probable place for a hole is the film chamber (the room of the removable take-up spool).

You will not find the hole by looking. The hole must be very, very small. Try to reason where it can be. Then close the hole with some putty and test again.

Erik.

Old 12-03-2017   #13
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Check the second curtain to see if it is in good shape. I had similar light leaks just before pinholes formed on the second curtain.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 12-03-2017   #14
Josiahkonder

Thanks so much ill try that, but its hard to determine anything to be honest.

can i also rule out the backplate?

Old 12-03-2017   #15
Josiahkonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
Check the second curtain to see if it is in good shape. I had similar light leaks just before pinholes formed on the second curtain.
thanks
but I've already checked both cutains ... : /

Old 12-03-2017   #16
Josiahkonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
It certainly is not the lens. Also not a broken roller. If so, the camera does not work anymore.

There must be a small hole somewere in the camera through wich the film can receive light. If the shutter is OK, the most probable place for a hole is the film chamber (the room of the removable take-up spool).

You will not find the hole by looking. The hole must be very, very small. Try to reason where it can be. Then close the hole with some putty and test again.

Erik.
Hard to determine anything, so wouldnt even know where to put some putty if I had some. everything looks fine inside the camera.

Not sure what to do here. :/

Old 12-03-2017   #17
Erik van Straten

Then you'll have to bring the camera to a competent repairman. Take the examples on film with you.

Erik.

Old 12-03-2017   #18
Josiahkonder

Thanks for the help Erik!
appreciate it

Best
J

Old 03-08-2018   #19
Josiahkonder

Unfortunately everything I have tried so far does not work..
anyone got any other ideas?

Old 03-08-2018   #20
raid
Dad Photographer

I would take some black tape and try to patch up some suspect areas on the camera body, one at a time to see if you can find the exact location on the camera body where light is leaking in. Start with the film frame counter,

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-08-2018   #21
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Hi, I'm dealing with a leak on my M2 that is similar, it seems to be leaking past the rangefinder (small) window, probably some light baffling come askew. The shutters work fine, the leak goes to the film at the same time as the image is exposed. I recommend a strong small flashlight and a very dark room, removing the back door, the shutter kept open at B, and poking the light all around the upper plate with your eye close to the film gate, looking toward the upper right of the forward part of the insides.

Old 03-17-2018   #22
rolfe

I think the flash sync port is a possibility. I think I've narrowed my similar problem down to one or both of them. Tape them over and test...

Rolfe

Old 03-18-2018   #23
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

I'm willing to bet the leak continues onto the edge of the film, past the edge of the frame. That would rule out the lens or curtains as the source of the problem.

I would suspect the top edge of the back door, or the wind side strap lug. Try covering these areas with black tape and leaving the camera in strong light for a while. There may be some top side candidates as well, but that is less likely. Try black tape over the flash sockets.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 03-18-2018   #24
Greyscale

This leak is coming from the front of the front of the camera, not the back, or it would be red and not white. Are you using a lens shade? My initial reaction is this is an internal reflection from the inside of the lens barrel.

My RFF Gallery

Old 03-18-2018   #25
charjohncarter

Why don't people that have light leaks ever show the complete film area. There is a lot that can be learned by the sprocket hole area. Even with this is incomplete image it does look like the leak bleeds into the area that would or might rule out the lens.

Also a good way to rule out the lens is to put a body cap on (light tight) and go out side and shoot at low speed a few frames.

Old 03-18-2018   #26
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post

Also a good way to rule out the lens is to put a body cap on (light tight) and go out side and shoot at low speed a few frames.
Also you could try putting a tiny key chain flashlight, left on, inside the camera and take the camera into the darkroom or closet to look for the leak to show through from the outside.

Old 04-11-2018   #27
Josiahkonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I'm willing to bet the leak continues onto the edge of the film, past the edge of the frame. That would rule out the lens or curtains as the source of the problem.

I would suspect the top edge of the back door, or the wind side strap lug. Try covering these areas with black tape and leaving the camera in strong light for a while. There may be some top side candidates as well, but that is less likely. Try black tape over the flash sockets.

Cheers,
Dez
good point

Old 04-11-2018   #28
Josiahkonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
Hi, I'm dealing with a leak on my M2 that is similar, it seems to be leaking past the rangefinder (small) window, probably some light baffling come askew. The shutters work fine, the leak goes to the film at the same time as the image is exposed. I recommend a strong small flashlight and a very dark room, removing the back door, the shutter kept open at B, and poking the light all around the upper plate with your eye close to the film gate, looking toward the upper right of the forward part of the insides.
Thanks for the info david - I'll give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
This leak is coming from the front of the front of the camera, not the back, or it would be red and not white. Are you using a lens shade? My initial reaction is this is an internal reflection from the inside of the lens barrel.
Not using send shade to be frank.. the light leak also happens when i'm not in strong light, so does that not rule out internal reflection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Why don't people that have light leaks ever show the complete film area. There is a lot that can be learned by the sprocket hole area. Even with this is incomplete image it does look like the leak bleeds into the area that would or might rule out the lens.

There is both a picture of a whole frame and then multiple frames on top of eachother.
I can post more pictures if you think it could help ?

Thanks everyone
really appreciate the tips. Very fustrating. to take it to the camera store here is very expensive.

Old 04-12-2018   #29
Josiahkonder

maybe this will help ?
look at the red light from the crossway and the redness of the flareish light leaks.
any thoughts anyone?
https://imgur.com/t9KwMLj