Anyone like any of the new film types?
Old 10-24-2017   #1
AlexBG

Anyone like any of the new film types?

My film fridge is nearly empty so looking at stocking it back up, have seen a few new films coming onto the market so wondering if anyone has found any they like?

I shoot 35mm, colour or B+W, any iso with a preference of low grain.

Old 10-24-2017   #2
Mute-on

Kodak Ektar 100 and Portra 400. Haven't tried Portra 160, but it is purportedly also very balanced, though slightly different from Portra 400. I rate Portra 400 at 200.

Ektar is pretty saturated with a slight red bias. Rate at 100 only.

Stock up on all 3 and enjoy!

Old 10-24-2017   #3
MaxElmar

Ektar 100 for landscapes, Portra 160 for people works for me. The Portra 160 seems especially easy to work with. Medium contrast and saturation - it's very easy to add those in post. (Much harder to deal with too much color and contrast.)

Still Photographically Uncool
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenotar/

Old 10-24-2017   #4
AlexBG

Sorry, when I meant newer films I meant in the last year or two. Everything that you have said I've used a lot (portra and ektar) or tried (delta, HP5+ etc)

Was looking at the cinestill, JCH and the like for new film.

Old 10-24-2017   #5
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBG View Post
Sorry, when I meant newer films I meant in the last year or two. Everything that you have said I've used a lot (portra and ektar) or tried (delta, HP5+ etc)

Was looking at the cinestill, JCH and the like for new film.
JCH Street Pan is not a new film! Just the opposite: It's very old film stock (coated in 2008), just sold in a new packaging and completely overpriced. A film for stupid hipsters who believe in marketing fairy tales.
I've tested that film intensively. Here is my review:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...5&postcount=17

You can get the same look for less than half the price by using Rollei Infrared / Rollei Superpan 200 / Rollei Retro 400S (which is fresh film, by the way).

As for Cinestill and your preference for fine grain:
Try CineStill 50D. Nice film.
But you should be aware of three disadvantages all CineStill films have:
1. Developed in C41, colour dye long term stability is not as good as when processed in the original, dedicated ECN-2 process.
2. With light sources in your picture you get halos around them, because these films have the anti-halation remjet-backing removed.
3. Because of the removal of remjet the films show sometimes scratches caused by this process.

Old 10-24-2017   #6
Larry Cloetta

My personal experience with the Cinestill (800 only) was not all that rewarding, but others have enjoyed it. A little too niche for me in terms of the results, but if it's a look you like, weird unpredictable colors too dependent upon variations in lighting, lots of halation, and the ugliest grain I have ever managed to achieve with a film, it might be the perfect go to formulation. I threw my last unexposed roll away. It's unique though, there's that. YMMV.

Personally, love the new Ferrania P30, as I have achieved excellent results with that (When people say something is an excellent film, what they actually mean is that it gives them a look they like, as if their personal biases were the arbiters of excellence, so that's all I am claiming here.) Low grain, and I personally like the tonality and the contrast level. If your idea of an excellent film is Pan F 50+ in Perceptol, (which I also like for completely different reasons) you might not like the P30.
Haven't tried the JCH, as the results I've seen online were not that compelling--for me.

Old 10-24-2017   #7
Steve M.

I had a good supplier on the Shandhai GP# in 120 format and liked it a lot when developed full strength in Mic-X. Not sure if this in a new film though.

Old 10-24-2017   #8
dmr
Registered Abuser

I've enjoyed playing with Cinestill, both daylight and indoor types, and the Kodak Hawkeye and Svema color negative films.

Old 10-24-2017   #9
stompyq

Absolutely love Ektar 100. Good for landscapes and portraits. It has a learning curve though. If you don't care then Portra 400 is foolproof. Never really liked portra 160. It's just meh .. compared to the other two

Old 10-24-2017   #10
shimokita
白黒

I understand that JCH StreetPan 400 film is a discontinued 35mm black-and-white surveillance film originally manufactured by AGFA that has been brought back. It is not leftover film stock nor re-spooled old stock... it's freshly made... available in 135 and now in 120 format.

I have shot a couple of rolls at 35mm and look forward to trying the 120.

Old 10-24-2017   #11
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Plus one on Larry's choice of Ferrania P30.

I've been playing with Bergger Panchro 400. This film is dual emulsion and favors a pre-soak. Recommended longer fixing times. I have been experimenting using Diafine. Seems to be clean and fine grained. I extend the soaking in Part "A" instead of presoaking. 6+4 was my best so far, but I still come up short on film speed (200-250 ISO). Looks great at 200-250 ISO though. Next tank 7+4 for perhaps 320-400 ISO.

Cal

Old 10-24-2017   #12
ptpdprinter

Ferrania P30 is the only new film and it is anyone's guess when you might be able to buy it again, if ever. Everything else has been out there for years. If I were stocking up, I'd just layaway Ilford Pan F and FP4, or if you are partial to tabular grain (I am) Delta 100 and even 400. Tri-X has gotten expensive, and yet another price increase has been announced. On the color side, I find Fuji too saturated and, as previously suggested, would stock up on Ektar and Portra, depending on which look you prefer. If you shoot slides, Ektachrome is supposed to be reintroduced sometime in 2018, but for now Velvia and Provia are your only choices.

Old 10-24-2017   #13
Leica All Day

I'm a fan of Kodak pro image 100. I'm not sure how easy it is to purchase where you live, but it works for me.

Cheers,
Michael

Old 10-24-2017   #14
Hogarth Ferguson

I have used JCH, which I really enjoy, and Cinestill 800t, which I only used at 3200. It is ok, not all it is hyped up to be. I bought some 50d to try, still, have not. Maybe it will be good.

I'll stick to my provia, thank you very much.

Old 10-24-2017   #15
sepiareverb
genius and moron

There is now something new coming as well - Silbera.

Old 10-24-2017   #16
ptpdprinter

Given the state of the technology, I do not expect anything special from Silbera, though I am sure some are going to hype it, like they do JCH, Cinestill, Ferrania, Shanghai, etc., just to be different for the sake of being different.

Old 10-24-2017   #17
robbeiflex

Ferrania P30
Rollei RPX 25

These are the new films I have tried recently and liked a lot. ISO 80 and ISO 25 though, so depending on where you live and what/how you shoot, maybe the wrong time of year. For the next few months I am back onto HP5+, and occasional Rollei RPX 400, because our daylight hours will be short and not so light.

Cheers,
Rob
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 10-24-2017   #18
littleearth

I'm lucky enough to have free access to the lab scanners at work ! Portra 160 in 35mm is king in my opinion ! Superia 200 is really nice as a cheaper option.

Old 10-24-2017   #19
besk

I like Berrger Pancro in 120 size.

Old 10-24-2017   #20
Spanik

Still waiting for Ferrania slide...

Old 10-24-2017   #21
x-ray

Ive tried both the Foma and Bergger. I need to work a little more with the Bergger before deciding. Unfortunately I'm terribly disappointed in the Foma Retro. At this moment I'm still using my reserve of Fuji Neopan 400 with some HP5 from time to time. I still have a couple hundred rolls of Neopan but when it's gone my choice will be HP5 and Delta 400. Tmax 400 is also a good choice.

Old 10-24-2017   #22
michaelwj
----------------

I've heard good things about Bergger, it's my next "to try" film.

Otherwise, there's a reason that the old faithfuls are well liked, they're really good (and not even that old). Portra 400 and 160 are both excellent (I'm not sure you'll find a better colour 400 negative film), and TMAX 400 is excellent (just hideously expensive locally). The newer films released by the smaller companies aren't going to touch these for empirical excellence, only less "tangible" qualities.

Old 10-25-2017   #23
AlexBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
Absolutely love Ektar 100. Good for landscapes and portraits. It has a learning curve though. If you don't care then Portra 400 is foolproof. Never really liked portra 160. It's just meh .. compared to the other two
I haven't tried 160, liked the 400, love ektar, tried the 800 and hated it. Thought 160 would be good but people don't seem to use it much.

Old 10-25-2017   #24
AlexBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbialecki View Post
I'm a fan of Kodak pro image 100. I'm not sure how easy it is to purchase where you live, but it works for me.

Cheers,
Michael
I thought this was an old film or has had the box redesigned. Will have a look though.

Old 10-25-2017   #25
AlexBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbeiflex View Post
Ferrania P30
Rollei RPX 25

These are the new films I have tried recently and liked a lot. ISO 80 and ISO 25 though, so depending on where you live and what/how you shoot, maybe the wrong time of year. For the next few months I am back onto HP5+, and occasional Rollei RPX 400, because our daylight hours will be short and not so light.

Cheers,
Rob
Agree with this, have been shooting a load of ektra and velvia this summer and the camera has delta 100 in at the moment and is getting little use.

Old 10-25-2017   #26
roscoetuff

Alex: As might be said elsewhere, "Film not getting used: #SAD!"

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams

Old 10-25-2017   #27
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimokita View Post
I understand that JCH StreetPan 400 film is a discontinued 35mm black-and-white surveillance film originally manufactured by AGFA that has been brought back. It is not leftover film stock nor re-spooled old stock... it's freshly made... available in 135 and now in 120 format.

That is correct. It is not old stock.

Old 10-25-2017   #28
Chris101
summicronia

I tried Ektar, it's ok, but I want Ektachrome! (I hear that is coming back.)

Of the "new" films, Portra 800 is my favorite. And Delta 3200 in black and white, but it's not that new. When are they gonna come out with a decent IR film - like to rival HIE, but fast? Now that would be a great new film!

ps (an old film plug), I put one of my last rolls of HIE in my camera today. I always feel pressure to shoot something amazing with HIE, so the result is 39 boring pictures. 39 cause you can shoot from the very first frame, since you loaded it in the dark!

Old 10-26-2017   #29
Ronald M

Bergger 400 Panchro is fantastic. Similar to old Bergger 200 long discontinued.

Old 10-26-2017   #30
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimokita View Post

No, it is definitely not freshly made (see my link to my test above). It is old stock.
This film - Agfa ASP 400s / Aviphot Pan 400 - was discontinued many years ago. The discontinuation statement was on the Agfa website for a very long time. If you look now on the website you see that this film is now completely gone:
http://www.agfa.com/specialty-produc...raphy/aviphot/

Old 10-26-2017   #31
maryland_fotos

In the right situations CineStill 800 can be excellent, nice glow and pleasing colors, a bit vibrant with the old analogue look, but sometimes that glow can overwhelm the concept one's trying to achieve.

Tried Rollei RPX 25 recently on sunny days, and have really enjoyed the crispness and detail. Holds up pretty well in terms of contrasty scenes, which I remember I had trouble with Ilford Pan F 50.

Old 10-26-2017   #32
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
No, it is definitely not freshly made (see my link to my test above). It is old stock.
This film - Agfa ASP 400s / Aviphot Pan 400 - was discontinued many years ago. The discontinuation statement was on the Agfa website for a very long time. If you look now on the website you see that this film is now completely gone:
http://www.agfa.com/specialty-produc...raphy/aviphot/
Skiff, the film is not from a 2008 spool. It is a new coating of the old formula. Your test actually proves nothing. So, just to be clear, are you saying Bellamy Hunt at JCH is a liar?

Old 10-26-2017   #33
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faintandfuzzy View Post
Skiff, the film is not from a 2008 spool. It is a new coating of the old formula. Your test actually proves nothing. So, just to be clear, are you saying Bellamy Hunt at JCH is a liar?
Do yourself a favour and get in contact with Agfa in Belgium.
And then ask them which is the minimum coating volume they can do and what it will cost. They will tell you several thousands m˛. And when you hear what it will cost it will probably blow you away.

Agfa is focussed on high industrial production volume (mainly for PCB films for the computer industry). They cannot do small production runs like Ilford, Foma,Adox or Film Ferrania.

And even bigger companies like Maco cannot initiate new production runs made by Agfa. It is much too expensive!
Even Maco can only buy fractions of what Agfa has already coated in the past for other markets.
And a tiny one man show like Bellamy Hunt simply has not the financial power to initiate huge new coating runs.

Maco offered this film ten years ago as Rollei Infrared. Then Agfa pulled the plug. No chance even for a much bigger, long established company like Maco/Rollei-Film to keep this film in production by buying the needed volumes!
And now a camera dealer and industry newcomer comes and suddenly all the industry laws has completely changed?
Dream on.

Please don't believe all this marketing BS.

New film ??
Old 10-26-2017   #34
Rangefinderfreak

New film ??

The nicest new film for me is the BERGGER Iso 400, not as harsh as TRI-X, but also not as flat as Eastman 5222 "Double-X" It is also available in 120 and 4"x5"

Old 10-26-2017   #35
Rangefinderfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
Do yourself a favour and get in contact with Agfa in Belgium.
And then ask them which is the minimum coating volume they can do and what it will cost. They will tell you several thousands m˛. And when you hear what it will cost it will probably blow you away.

Agfa is focussed on high industrial production volume (mainly for PCB films for the computer industry). They cannot do small production runs like Ilford, Foma,Adox or Film Ferrania.

And even bigger companies like Maco cannot initiate new production runs made by Agfa. It is much too expensive!
Even Maco can only buy fractions of what Agfa has already coated in the past for other markets.
And a tiny one man show like Bellamy Hunt simply has not the financial power to initiate huge new coating runs.

Maco offered this film ten years ago as Rollei Infrared. Then Agfa pulled the plug. No chance even for a much bigger, long established company like Maco/Rollei-Film to keep this film in production by buying the needed volumes!
And now a camera dealer and industry newcomer comes and suddenly all the industry laws has completely changed?
Dream on.

Please don't believe all this marketing BS.
Why are you so picky about Bellamy? He wants something to sell, he has got 35mm cassettes with his logo, found someone to wind 36+ frames of bulk film into them. Are you sure Streetpan is not ORWO 400 ... It has the double coatnig that works just fine for home hobyist...Nice !

Old 10-26-2017   #36
Faintandfuzzy

I know what 9 year old base fog looks like thanks...this aint it. Sorry...relying on your friend is no more or less than relying on Bellamy...whom I know.

Old 10-26-2017   #37
aizan

streetpan's production smacks of mast brothers chocolate, and the only way to deal with the rumors and speculation is for bellamy to just tell people who is making the film. transparency is the best policy these days.

Old 10-26-2017   #38
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
streetpan's production smacks of mast brothers chocolate, and the only way to deal with the rumors and speculation is for bellamy to just tell people who is making the film. transparency is the best policy these days.
He has...he said it was Agfa.

Old 10-26-2017   #39
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faintandfuzzy View Post
He has...he said it was Agfa.
And the initial Silbera films seem to be this same strategy, older Agfa Surveillance films in new productions/batches. Silbera states they've tweaked the emulsions some.

Old 10-26-2017   #40
Spanik

It could be a new batch of cut and packaged old coating runs. Typical marketing weasel words. Not a lie but not the whole truth either.