Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Nikon D700 a good idea today?
Old 03-21-2017   #1
rfaspen

Nikon D700 a good idea today?

Hi all.

OK, I have an opportunity to get a Nikon D700 for about $450-500. Its not a spring chicken -- meaning it has well over 10,000 shutter clicks on it, and the usual wear from being held, but it doesn't appear to be abused. Just used.

The D700 is full frame, but only 12MP! I'm just not sure if this camera is a reasonable purchase these days or not (today being 21 March, 2017). Am I nuts for even thinking of buying this body? Or, is it a reasonable purchase?

I have no other digital SLR's. I do have several film Nikon SLRs (F2, FE, FE2, FM, FM2, EM, F80) and a smattering of lenses for these, including a couple AF-Nikkors, quite a few AI/AIS, and a couple non-AI. I have an M9 and Oly EP-2 for my digital capability but neither is a great choice for night-time photography: I would like to try photographing local timber mills at night with pretty long exposures. A decent DSLR is a good and recommended tool for this.

So....get this D700 or pass? And if so, the price? The asking $450-500 is about my budget at the moment.

Old 03-21-2017   #2
Fraser

D700 great camera, the only reason I got rid of mine was I picked up a df. D3 sensor in a smaller body with anti dust thingy!

Old 03-21-2017   #3
jammcat
Lick My Lens Cap

If you're looking for a Nikon full frame DSLR and don't need it to be the latest and greatest, then this will probably fit the bill.

Toronto-based documentary/music photographer.

http://lickmylenscap.com
https://www.instagram.com/lickmylenscap/
https://lickmylenscap.tumblr.com

Old 03-21-2017   #4
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

Oh heck yeah, especially for that price! I can't remember if the shutter is rated to 100,000 or 150,000 but either way it's a good deal. You can even get those non-AI lenses converted at aiconversions.com for $35 and they'll meter on the D700. It's a great camera. Excellent autofocus. Beautiful images. 12 megapixels is just fine unless you're printing HUGE. I've made great 13x19 prints off of 8, 10 and 12 megapixel files. I can't really think of a downside.

One of the first things that wowed me about the D700 was it's night/long exposure capability. I was hosting a star party in my neighborhood and the local paper's photographer had a new D700...her photos of the crowd's motion around the telescopes with the stars and milky way overhead were stunning.

One of my favorite digital cameras!

PS: I cut my teeth on a NIkon FM2 and a cheap sigma zoom. After a long road through rangefinders and digital cameras, I just got a Nikon FE for my girlfriend and an F2 for myself, and a clutch of old non-AI lenses, a few of them converted. The others will be soon!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 03-21-2017   #5
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

I spent a few days in Istanbul with a D700 and a nifty fifty (I think I had a 105/2.5 too but I probably shot mostly with the nifty-fifty). This was one of my favorites. Images are just smooth. These were out-of-the-camera jpegs. I don't do RAW (and I also didn't print my own film images) and so any digital camera needed a good jpeg engine. Olympus and Nikon are both great at this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 03-21-2017   #6
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
D700 great camera, the only reason I got rid of mine was I picked up a df. D3 sensor in a smaller body with anti dust thingy!
If you mean the vibrator that cleans the dust off the sensor, my D700 has that.

Old 03-21-2017   #7
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I still have mine and will never part with it ... seriously at that price you can't go wrong especially with that shutter count. From memory the D700 shutter is rated to 150.000 clicks and the bodies themselves have to be the best built DSLR I've ever held and that includes my D4. Fantastic camera!

Old 03-21-2017   #8
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I'm so satisfied with mine, I have never felt the need for any other DSLR.

Old 03-21-2017   #9
SaveKodak

The only downside is it's relatively large as compared to the D750.

Old 03-21-2017   #10
Contarama

Call me crazy if you will but I think Nikon's 12mp sensors make some of the most beautiful digital images that can be made. All of them from the D5000 up. I almost hate to say it but they're probably even better than the ones my Df makes. The only digital Nikon I would buy now is another Df, a D700, a D90, or a Coolpix A. I would jump on that deal before they change their mind.

Old 03-21-2017   #11
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

And I will add that I saw an immaculate D700 at Matsuiyastore recently for around seven hundred dollars so obviously they aren't worth much more than that.

Old 03-21-2017   #12
Range-rover

I have a D3 and 12 pixels is more than enough, the D700 might have the same sensor as the
D3 I'm not sure. The price is good and if it's in good shape go for it, and shutter count
mine is about 175,000 and still going strong.

Old 03-21-2017   #13
leica M2 fan

I'm still very content with my D700 that is now 6 years old. It still functions like new.
I recently sent it back to Nikon and it was refurbished and feels brand new! I'll probably
keep it even if I happen to buy another Nikon. At your price i'd go for it, you'll be well served.
BTW my shutter count is 7402 at this time.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 03-22-2017   #14
Dogman

Used digital equipment can be outstanding bargains. Once you get to 10-12 MP APS-C sensors, you should be able to make sharp prints up to 16x20...even more, depending on subject matter. With the Nikon having a FF sensor, your capability is even greater. I'm not a Nikon guy but the price seems like a bargain.

Old 03-22-2017   #15
Solinar
Analog Preferred

rfaspen - I just acquired a D700 last month, which was $61 over your budget and has 20,000 more clicks of usage.

It was a no brainer since I rarely print larger than a 6 x 9 inch and already owned 4 AF-D primes for my D300 - which uses the same control layout and batteries.

The D700 is definitely worth current price range of under $600, if you already have FF lenses. ISO 800 produces very clean images to my eye. Color rendition is just beautiful. The build quality is awesome when compared to D610. The D700 even has a built-in shutter for the viewfinder - which is a great addition for tripod use.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Yes, The D700 Is A Good Idea
Old 03-22-2017   #16
willie_901

Yes, The D700 Is A Good Idea

If you are in the market for a FX DSLR, the D700 with 10,000 clicks is an excellent choice at $500. I recommend one without hesitation.

For about four years I used two D700s for 3-8 gigs per week.

The D700 is a very good DSLR. The AF is excellent and flexible. It is a very tough camera. I never had a single problem. I dropped mine once and it was banged around occasionally banged around with no ill effects. It can tolerate a reasonble amount of moisture. Battery life is great. I had the sensor cover glass cleaned professionally twice a year. A good friend took a D700 with him wherever he went. It lived in car and truck glove compartments, flew in small aircraft, went hunting and spent time on boats. He even took it in golf carts. It never skipped a beat.

While its technical IQ is behind the newest technologies, the differences are only significant in extreme cases: high dynamic range scenes, very low light or when you want to crop heavily and, or make an unusually large print.

I only used raw. When exposure is optimized, I had no reservations relying upon ISO 800 for any task. ISO 1600 was my limit. My cameras' green-dot focus light was practical for most manual focus lenses, so using AI/AIS lenses was practical. I did not find any Nikkor glass (even the newest, expensive stuff) that was as good as the D700.

I did not enjoy using the D700 for non-commercial projects. It is too big and too loud. In 2012 I picked up one of the first X100s and was much happier working on personal projects.

In 2014 I switched to two FUJIFILM X-T1 bodies because I was tired of lugging large, heavy cameras all over the St. Louis metropolitan area week in and week out. Inconvenience was the only reason I abandoned the D700. The X-T1 has slightly, but noticeably better technical IQ. I also discovered the Fujinon lenses lens I needed for work (especially the Fujinon ultra-wide zoom lens) out-performed the F-mount equivalents. Honestly, I didn't miss the D700 at all.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-22-2017   #17
De_Corday
Eternal Student

I still use mine professionally. Check my work out (link below) -- almost all the color work is my D700. Nikon has yet to make a true replacement for it. It still shoots wonderfully up to 1600 ISO, and for my purposes (PJ work and documentary mostly) I shoot it at 3200 with no post processing for noise, and 6400 with just moderate Lightroom noise reduction. It is totally usable at 6400.

Its my no-nonsense work camera.

It's a damn steal for $500.

Honestly, I wish it had a true 100 ISO base, and I wish it had slightly more megapixels. But the IQ is solid even by todays standards, its still the king of low light, versus anything short of a D4, IMHO, and its also a true pro camera. By which I mean its rugged as hell, lasts all day on a battery charge, and has a truly sensible control layout. Don't underestimate that.

Old 03-22-2017   #18
Travis L.
Registered Userino

I love my D700 and have no plans to replace it anytime soon

Old 03-22-2017   #19
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

A D700 with 10k shutter actuations is essentially new. Go for it.
Heck, if I found another D2Hs (4.1Mp sensor) for about $400, I would buy it at the drop of a hat.
This whole megapixel thing is a lot of marketing hype until you get past 14Mp. For news work that I do, the 4Mp camera would be perfect. Even 8x10 enlargements are fine. I had full color, full page images published in a few magazines back in 2005, taken with a D2H. They looked great then and still look great today.

Phil Forrest

Old 03-22-2017   #20
rfaspen

OK, Thank you everyone for your responses.

So it sounds like its a plenty good idea to get this body. I did mistype the number of shutter clicks, it is not 10,000 but 80,000. However, I'm getting the feeling its still not that bad. I had to free up some $$ today with the sale of a lens to apply to this endeavor. Hopefully the camera will still be waiting for me.

I did hear somewhere that the 12 MP full frame sensor is pretty good with night photography because of the large size of the pixels. I hope that's true.

Old 03-22-2017   #21
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post

So it sounds like its a plenty good idea to get this body. I did mistype the number of shutter clicks, it is not 10,000 but 80,000. However, I'm getting the feeling its still not that bad. I had to free up some $$ today with the sale of a lens to apply to this endeavor. Hopefully the camera will still be waiting for me.

I did hear somewhere that the 12 MP full frame sensor is pretty good with night photography because of the large size of the pixels. I hope that's true.

I used mine for several years photographing gallery openings for an arts college. Always as dark as hell and never allowed to use flash in among all the art installations and video screens etc. I always shot at 3200 or 6400 by necessity and they (the college) were always blown away by the results I was able to get with that camera.

Old 03-22-2017   #22
peterm1

Still using mine. Its biggest advantage seems to be its excellent dynamic range (although there are no doubt cameras with as good DR and bigger pixel counts available these days) and its very solid build. They seem to have held their value much more than one would expect given their modest pixel count and age so I guess that testifies to their solidarity and good reputation. Occasionally I miss having a higher resolution such as when I am shooting landscapes and want a lot of detail in things like tree leaves but other than this it is a good camera.

Old 03-23-2017   #23
lawrence

I'd just like to add my voice to the chorus above. The D700 is quite simply a digital masterpiece, bearing in mind that it's getting on for ten years old. 12Mp is enough for most things but the really nice feature is the quality of the images, which to my eye have a look that's quite close to film. The only issue I've had is that sometimes reds can come out as a bit orange but this can be corrected in post. As mentioned above, the downside is that the camera is rather big but so are most Nikon lenses!

Old 03-23-2017   #24
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

It's a great camera. Later models have newer sensors (more MP, better low light), but if this the limitations are OK, this will still produce great images.

My personal strategy has been to stay one step behind the bleeding edge. Instead of the latest, I buy the next to last model. My camera bills are lower, and I like the gear I'm shooting with.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 03-23-2017   #25
J enea

i have found that my D700 is the only digital I really need. i find that with digital, there is more to the image than MP's. Even in RAW, I find the images come out of the D700 more to my liking than my friends D810. yeh he has more MP's but so what. its the same as some people prefer tri-x over tmax even though tmax has smaller grain. there is some way the 700 renders a file that I like. warmer, more natural? dont really know how to explain it but to my eyes its there.

I shoot film for high res prints. but for things like sports, where i need 8 frames a second, or simple snaps where i just hope to be there, it works great. I have some real nice 13x19 prints from that camera and they are very sharp and detailed. the results speak for themselves. I always love the saying its not the camera, its the photographer.

so yeh, the D700 is still relevant today, especially if you get to know what it does ad how to make the most of it. at that price its a bargain

Old 03-23-2017   #26
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I have a number of photographs (in low light and with flash) in my blog. Here's one with some night photographs from my stay in Toledo, Spain (where I seem to get more photographic action than at home! )
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 03-23-2017   #27
bellyface
Registered Nice Guy

go for it. $500 is a fabulous deal for a 10K mileage D700. Yes, the D700 has the exact sensor of a D3. Even D3's selling for around $700 is a fabulous deal.

PHP Code:
[url="http://flickr.com/photos/ivanaguiar/sets"]follow me on flickr[/url
PHP Code:
"Photographers deal in things which are continually
vanishing and when they have vanished there is no 
contrivance on earth which can make them come 
back again."
-Henri Cartier Bresson 

Old digital cameras still rock
Old 03-23-2017   #28
dugrant153

Old digital cameras still rock

I don't have the Nikon D700 but I remember when I first started that it was considered the "shizzle" and cost a fortune. With the rampant changes in digital technology, it's a shame that these awesome cameras are, by comparison, relegated to "worthless digital camera" status. However, if they still work (And if they're built to their professional standard, most do) they are fantastic.

Case in point is a Canon 1D Mark IIN that I acquired recently. This thing is 10+ years old and "only" 8MP. Wow, it's so worthless!! (not).... I've taken this thing to weddings and concerts and other difficult assignments, made 16 x 20 prints without blinking and it still runs strong.

My point is that old professional digital cameras, when built to an toughness standard, can be a decent investment and can still make some amazing photos today. If you're never printing beyond 16x20, 12MP is more than enough.

On the other hand, my 5D Mark I Classic had the shutter button crap out

Old 03-23-2017   #29
De_Corday
Eternal Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post

The 700 is an absolute beast at night, especially shot RAW. I bought mine off of a friend who sold it to finance a D800E. He still laments the 800E's poorer low-light performance to this day.

Old 03-23-2017   #30
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSebastianMoran View Post
....My personal strategy has been to stay one step behind the bleeding edge. Instead of the latest, I buy the next to last model. My camera bills are lower, and I like the gear I'm shooting with.
You are a very wise man.

Old 03-23-2017   #31
stompyq

I would not buy that old dinosaur. I feel like most people have this nostalgia factor with that camera (for some weird reason). Its a good camera, but the sensor is ancient. If your going to spend the money add a little extra and get a used D610. Or better yet get a D600 that has had the shutter replaced. Those are real bargains now

Old 03-23-2017   #32
NickTrop

Personally, I would forgo an old FF and get a refurb'd D5300 body from B&H, Ardorama, Amazon, or Nikon's site for $399 (price I paid).

1. Smaller
2. Better in low light.
3. Articulated screen
4. latest 24 MP sensor with no anti-alias filter
5. 1080 p video
6. Wifi and GPS
7. Manufacturer's warranty, can return to retailer for refund

The high MP count insures that your sensor doesn't "cheat" the lens in terms of resolution and you can make high DPI prints of any size. Digital, unlike film, follows Moore's law. I would only get an old FF if you have many old Nikon lenses that use the old "screw" autofocus lenses. The D5300 uses the newer lenses with the motors in the lens.

I would get a (virtually) NEW refurb'd D5300 and their 35 f 1.8 lens for a versatile -up to date- kit that's smaller, lighter, probably better low light performance, higher resolution that keeps up with lens MTF, argualbly the same/better IQ etc., etc., etc... for the same dosh.

Old 03-23-2017   #33
rfaspen

I was wondering if I would see any posts giving me a dose of reality (yeah, I prepared for this). Its good to see them. I have not purchased the camera yet, and I'm still undecided. The full frame aspect is a big plus. I have wide Nikkors that I would like to use as wides. Also, I'm currently interested in night photography, and the big pixels that are a forced characteristic in a 12MP FF sensor are supposed to be an advantage.

But, its still $500 and the camera has (I mis-typed in the OP) 80,000 clicks on it. If I were a slightly wealthier man, I would have done the deal by now. But.....I also know how to be patient and accumulate funds for something I want. If the D700 didn't satisfy my needs, I would be right back in the game of finding something that does. Could we call that "false economy"?

But, the D700 does have the potential to provide me what I need....and right now.

Ahhrrggg.

Old 03-23-2017   #34
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I think if you went back and searched all the threads about the D700 the only complaint you'll read occasionally is the weight. The fact that it is only 12 megapixel means little and the other thing I really like about the files from it is they convert very well to black and white.

But I agree ... five hundred dollars is five hundred dollars and every gear purchase should be carefully considered.

Old 03-23-2017   #35
De_Corday
Eternal Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
I would not buy that old dinosaur. I feel like most people have this nostalgia factor with that camera (for some weird reason). Its a good camera, but the sensor is ancient. If your going to spend the money add a little extra and get a used D610. Or better yet get a D600 that has had the shutter replaced. Those are real bargains now
I respect this opinion. It really depends on how you're going to use the camera. From an IQ perspective, yeah the 600 series will outpace the 700. But if you want buttons for *everything* and a pro build quality without going to a single-digit-D, 700's still the camera to beat.

Simply put, how do you work? Is your camera out of the bag most of the day? Do you shoot in rain and snow? Do you shoot in fast moving situations, where a dedicated ISO button or a dedicated meter-pattern switch would help? If so, go for the 700.

If not, maybe consider the 600.

(and just to be clear, my love for the 700 doesn't come from nostalgia. I'd take a new camera in its design in a heartbeat. Give me a miniaturized D4 or D5 -- the way the 700 is a mini D3. Please. I want to throw my money at one.)

Old 03-24-2017   #36
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
I looked at the D600/610 option at the end of February, when I purchased my D700.

The D600 was a very attractive option - mainly because they sometimes sell for around $750.00 . My personal unscientific opinion is that a D600 with a shutter count of at least 20,000 shutter clicks - even if the shutter wasn't replaced -will most likely no longer have oil droplet problem- but why take a chance.

What pushed me towards the D700 is that I prefer the pro-build of the D700 versus a high spec consumer build. I've seen a few D700 bodies that have over 250,000 shutter actuations that are still truckin.

With regards to the 12 megapixel handicap, I usually don't make large prints. While dated, the large pixel pitch sensor delivers enough dynamic range to rival film.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 03-24-2017   #37
willie_901

I understand the D700 shutter mean-time-before-failure specification is 150,000 actuations.

Here's some empirical information about D700 shutter life.

So 80K is, on average, not an issue of ordinary usage.

At the price you mention 80K would not be an issue for me.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-24-2017   #38
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Buy it and enjoy it. You will be able to sell it if you aren't happy with it (and probably at a small loss) but I tell you it's worth it. Granted, recent bodies are better (they should!), but this one has a very intuitive feel... and, to me, it's very much like the digital version of the F100.

So, if you have Nikon glass (wides) that you'd like to use, and this camera is within your budget, spring for it.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 03-24-2017   #39
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Always wondered why yesteryear's Wonder of the Ages is todays Piece of Dreck.
From all I've heard it was terrific when released, so logic dictates it should be terrific today.
And only 12 megapixels? Really, how many do you need?
When all the pissing and moaning from the Gearzoids has subsided, and they've convinced their wives to let them buy the newest Flavour of the Month body I'm always hard-pressed to see the improvement in their work anyway.
That D700 will suit you just fine.
Robert

Old 03-24-2017   #40
wakarimasen

One thing to consider: it's a nice way to used Ai/ AiS lenses in a digital format. I'm a Canon man, but have dabbled with D700s twice. On both occasions, I found that manually focussing - even in low light - was ridiculously easy. Plus you get full (automatic) aperture control and matrix metering. What's not to like?