M2 & MP (Modern) - Rangefinders
Old 11-02-2014   #1
JHP

M2 & MP (Modern) - Rangefinders

Hi folks,

I have had my MP for a few years, and have recently bought an M2. I have noticed the MP rangefinder patch is crystal clear, never have any trouble aligning and nailing focus. The M2 however is not quite as clear, not quite as bright and contrasty, and sometimes gets lost when focusing something tricky.

Will a CLA fix this? Or is this just due to age difference between the two cameras? I've noticed a noticeable difference in viewfinder colours, with the MP having a bluer viewfinder than the M2. (Perhaps not blue, I am colourblind.)

Anyway, let me know what you think, and anyone else that owns both an M2 and an MP could compare their rangefinder patches that would be awesome.

MP, M2, 28 ELMARIT V3, 50 LUX V2, 15 VC

Old 11-02-2014   #2
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

My M2 finder is not what it used to be, either. There is a silvered prism that deteriorates, making it harder to see the framelines. In my case, the rangefinder patch seems OK. Still, a cleaning might help. And the silvering can be renewed. But I bought my M2 around 1961 or so. For 50+ year-old cameras, they are doing all right!

Old 11-03-2014   #3
Erik van Straten

I have two M2's and one MP; the MP has the best rangefinder spot, but the M2's are still good too. The rangefinder of the MP is the best because it is fully multicoated. However, I very much prefer the finders of the M2's because the 50mm framelines are much more precise. The MP's 50mm framelines are quite useless if you have the intention to use the full frame and do not want to cut parts of the negative.

Erik.

Old 11-04-2014   #4
JHP

Thanks folks. I think I'm just over analysing them. Both are more than usable.

MP, M2, 28 ELMARIT V3, 50 LUX V2, 15 VC

Old 11-06-2014   #5
rolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHP View Post
Thanks folks. I think I'm just over analysing them. Both are more than usable.
I agree with that -- all these cameras are fantastic. With the M2, you get a great deal these days if you can live with the loading. I like the uncluttered finder too.

Until people started splitting hairs on the Internet with regard to finder flare, etc. I thought they were all great! :-)

Actually, I still do. The differences are minor and you can work with any of them.

Old 11-07-2014   #6
philipus
ʎɐpɹəʇɥƃıɹq looɟɹəʇƃıɹq

I have neither an MP nor an M2 but an M4 and an M6TTL, which had the MP viewfinder upgrade.

The TTL has a much brighter patch than the M4 and is now completely flare resistant. But, it was only when the TTL came back after the upgrade that I noticed that the M4 would - very, very, very rarely - flare. And when it does flare it is not as bad as (i.e. in orders of magnitude different from) the TTL before the upgrade. The TTL was really difficult to use, whereas the M4 is just great.

As for clarity of the viewfinder, both are the same now. I had the M4 serviced by Ton Scherpenborg a few years back and he did an excellent job. So a service of your M2 could probably help improve the clarity.

Philip

Camera position: In general as shown in Fig. H and J, but according to requirements other positions are also possible or more practical.

Old 11-07-2014   #7
Richard G

M2. Stuns me every time I look in the VF. 35; 50; 90. Mine is a good one and it can't be beat.

Old 11-07-2014   #8
darkosaric1234567890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
I have two M2's and one MP; the MP has the best rangefinder spot, but the M2's are still good too. The rangefinder of the MP is the best because it is fully multicoated. However, I very much prefer the finders of the M2's because the 50mm framelines are much more precise. The MP's 50mm framelines are quite useless if you have the intention to use the full frame and do not want to cut parts of the negative.

Erik.
This is what I have noticed in my M6 as well - 50mm framelines are showing some 85% of the negative at infinity - and I print full negative without cropping. Can you please make a photo of M2 50mm framelines, I never saw it?

Old 11-07-2014   #9
Ronald M

A cleaning will brighten things up, but they will not reach the level of new cameras.

The frame line precision is better on the M2. The Leica rep told me in the 1980`s the older masks (makes the lines) were hand made , the man retired and they went to a machine made piece. I notice the right side drops off with the new models, M4-2 to M9, that I did not see in M2 &3. Plus the nice 90 mm corners are gone.

Old 11-07-2014   #10
madNbad

I have a M6 TTL similar to Phillips' and also had the viewfinder upgraded with the multicoated windows as on the MP. It not only eliminated finder flare but also was much brighter and gave the rangefinder patch better contrast. Earlier this year I acquired a M2 which was in very nice condition. Preferring the 35 mm focal length, the viewfinder in the M2 was a better fit for me. It recently returned from Youxin Ye with new viewfinder windows installed, the rangefinder cleaned plus some other work. The M2 with its' clear, clean viewfinder is a joy to use. The rangefinder patch has good contrast and also maintained the 5.6/16 infinity notches. The modifications were well worth the cost and I find myself reaching for the M2 first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1030628.jpg (34.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by madNbad : 11-07-2014 at 08:50. Reason: Spelling