Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Nikon F2 or F3?
Old 10-24-2014   #1
moreorless

Nikon F2 or F3?

I'm looking to potentially pickup a manual Nikon SLR for use with my Zeiss 50mm Makro(the older ZF version from the prongs) and I'm being drawn towards these two, mostly due to the 100% viewfinders over the various FM/FE bodies. From what I understand there shouldn't be compatibility issue on either of these two so I'm really looking at reasons to go for one over the other.

If I'm honest I'd slightly more drawn to the F2 simply in terms of look/feel plus despite being older the examples I'v seen tend to be in better shape(fewer dings on the metered finders mainly). I know I would be losing aperture priority but an alternative to the automation of my D800 is part of the reason I'm interested in shifting. Is the F3 going to offer me anything else that's worth having? is it any better/worse in terms of reliability and potential decline?

Old 10-24-2014   #2
Vickko

Kind of like comparing two different cameras, with the F2 being completely mechanical and the F3 being electronic, and having only a couple mechanical speeds if the battery dies. Another comparison would be selecting a Leica M6 vs M7.

I've used both, but now only own an F2.

I don't know a lot of the reliability history of the F3 (maybe saw a couple negative stories on the web) but the F2 will go on forever. Sover Wong is an enthusiast of the F2, if you want to research more on the F2. http://www.soverf2repair.webs.com/

I don't consider the F3 a very "electronically advanced" camera, but would hesitate to try to repair one; the F2 is very very repairable.

....Vick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreorless View Post
I'm looking to potentially pickup a manual Nikon SLR for use with my Zeiss 50mm Makro(the older ZF version from the prongs) and I'm being drawn towards these two, mostly due to the 100% viewfinders over the various FM/FE bodies. From what I understand there shouldn't be compatibility issue on either of these two so I'm really looking at reasons to go for one over the other.

If I'm honest I'd slightly more drawn to the F2 simply in terms of look/feel plus despite being older the examples I'v seen tend to be in better shape(fewer dings on the metered finders mainly). I know I would be losing aperture priority but an alternative to the automation of my D800 is part of the reason I'm interested in shifting. Is the F3 going to offer me anything else that's worth having? is it any better/worse in terms of reliability and potential decline?

35mm (film and digital)
Film only for 6x6cm, 6x9cm & 4x5in
BW darkroom to 4x5in

Old 10-24-2014   #3
moreorless

Thanks Vick, I wouldn't say I'm really that concerned about battery life provided its not going to need changing vastly more on the F3 as I would be looking at a metered F2 prism if I did pick one up.

In terms of reliability its really the meter I'm thinking about more than anything else with the F2.

Is there much difference in terms of the viewfinders? size, brightness, etc

Old 10-24-2014   #4
mfogiel

The lens will balance well on both, although the F2 is slightly smaller. In terms of VF experience, if you find an F2 with the DE-1 finder, it will be slightly better than the F3 NON HP vf (HP VF is even smaller) You can then check the accuracy of focus with the available screen, and possibly verify, if a more recent F3 screen inserted into the F2 screen frame will perform better. The F3 is overall a more sophisticated camera, and in practice costs 1/3rd of the F2 with DE-1, so it is up to you. If you are buying for life, get the F2, if you are buying for shooting in the street, the F3 appears more practical. Both are great bodies, much better than any other manual focus SLR I've ever tried.

Have a look here: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...hreadid=137012

Old 10-24-2014   #5
FrankS

F2 and F3 were both very long-lived pro camera models. No problems with either. You have to decide if you want the F3's exposure automation option. If you are looking for something different from your dslr, get the F2. Ideally, get both and decide based on first hand experience.

photography makes me happy

Old 10-24-2014   #6
Highway 61
Revisited

Many F3 are now affected with VF LCD display bleeding. The F3 is an electronic camera, with an electronic shutter and an electronic selftimer.

Mutatis mutandis, we can now consider for sure that mechanical cameras of the 1975-1985 era hold up quite better than their electronic brothers over time.

An F2 with DE-1 finder is clearly the best option... yet, they're expensive (but you can very well grab one at a very fair price if you're patient).

Re. metered F2s, look for one with a DP-3 finder. It combines all the advantages : you can couple absolutely all Nikkor lenses with it, even pre-Ai ones, and it has the same reliable Si metering cells as the DP-12 finder.

When sold as a kit, a F2 with a DP-3 finder was called the F2SB.

Old 10-24-2014   #7
Huss

I have two F2s (DP12 metered head and original non-metered), and two Fs.
They have been serviced by Sover Wong who I cannot recommend more highly.

I picked these series over the F3 as they are the antithesis of my digital camera. Fully mechanical with an incredible feel and they will last forever unless you try to break them.
The F3 is a great camera, but it just depends on what does it for you. I'd handle both and see.

Old 10-24-2014   #8
Robert Lai

I had both. If you ever decide to use flash with that Macro Planar, you will be a lot better off using the TTL flash control of the F3. F3 dedicated ring flashes do exist, and they don't cost very much now. With the F2 as with any other non-TTL flash camera, you have to make adjustments to your flash exposure depending on the degree of magnification.

I find the F3 very fast to use, due to its aperture priority exposure automation. It is physically smaller than an F2 with a meter head installed. The low light sensitivity of the Silicon blue cells in the F3 is extraordinary. I've had night time shots on AUTO that lasted several HOURS. The FRE used for the meter settings lasts forever. Shutter speeds are stepless in the Auto mode.

The F2 meters will have Cds or Silicon cells. The F2AS will cost the most money, as it has all the latest features. There is more of a learning curve with the F2, as you can set stepless shutter speeds except between certain speeds (which I can't remember at the moment). Long shutter speeds require interaction with the self timer.

Per Sover Wong, the wirewound resistor of the F2A meter will last a lifetime. Other meter heads may require a new ring resistor and / or CdS cell, which he has specially made for him, and he can install for you. You camera will have to make a trip to the UK for repairs though.

Old 10-24-2014   #9
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lai View Post

Per Sover Wong, the wirewound resistor of the F2A meter will last a lifetime. Other meter heads may require a new ring resistor and / or CdS cell, which he has specially made for him, and he can install for you. You camera will have to make a trip to the UK for repairs though.
He just replaced mine. A 2 week turn around from Los Angeles to the UK! Much quicker than if I would have sent it to any jack of all trades local place.
Sover also emails you detailed step by step photographs of what he is doing to your equipment. Incredible really.

Old 10-24-2014   #10
moreorless

One advantage of the F2 there then as I live in the UK.

Old 10-24-2014   #11
Spicy

I believe the F3 holds the distinct honors of being one of (if not *the*) cameras with the longest production run, from 1980 until 2001, effectively unchanged except for a few small tweaks.

It's about as basic an electromagnetic-shuttered camera can get. Some of the new features haven't been shown to be well-implemented, but everything that's important (and you would find on an F2) works excellently -- most of the quirks come from the finder's shutter-speed display, and it's awkwardly-implemented lighting solution.

If you want bulletproof, go with the F2. If you want bulletproof and aperture-priority auto-exposure, go with the F3.

As mentioned, the F3 is a big smaller (and probably lighter, but I'm not sure on that). I've never used an F2, but routinely use a plain-prism'd F and and F3. Both are epic. It's like choosing between a cute blond and a cute brunette -- a wonderful conundrum to have.

Old 10-24-2014   #12
ChrisLivsey

Yet another plug for Sover.
No work done unless necessary, you have his full attention when on your camera.

Which one? :

Quote:
I find the F3 very fast to use, due to its aperture priority exposure
Exactly Do you want an all manual difference from the DSLR or a half way house: your decision.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 10-24-2014   #13
ruby.monkey

F2 if you need a hammer, F3 if you're after a camera.

Either one with motor drive if you have to stop a charging rhino.

Old 10-24-2014   #14
Corran

I like my F2 better. No fiddling with the pre-AI level business like on the F3 if I want to use older lenses. I don't like the film advance of the F3, and I don't like the motor drive either. The F2 doesn't need batteries, which I like.

If I am wanting an auto mode I'll get my F4!

Old 10-24-2014   #15
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
If I was making the choice between an F2 and something else, it would be an FA, which was everything the F3 should have been but wasn't.
I've recently put my motorized F2AS aside and started using my motorized FA as my primary SLR body, for an number of reasons: to reduce sheer weight and size to be carried, while gaining Matrix metering, and the option of of Shutter Priority metering if I need it.
I've always been convinced that if the FA had been built to the same Industrial Strength specs as the Nikon Pro bodies, it would have been the successor to the F2, instead of the F3.
My suggestion?
Motorized FA.

Old 10-24-2014   #16
FrankS

"I've always been convinced that if the FA had been built to the same Industrial Strength specs as the Nikon Pro bodies, it would have been the successor to the F2, instead of the F3."

But it wasn't built to that standard, so it wasn't the successor.

Old 10-24-2014   #17
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The F was my first Nikon, later I had an F2 and then a couple of F3s. (Also a brace of FM, FM2n, FE2, etc...)

I know everyone sings the praises of the F2, but I always preferred the plain prism F to the F2. The F3/T with hp finder was a better camera, though, with more accurate shutter timing and a quieter, smoother shutter. The F3 is a pretty solidly made piece of equipment and is an "old school" type of pro-grade camera with lots of adjustment and tuning options available to the technician when in need of service.

I have two Fs again now, although one is due to go to a friend of mine. The one I'm keeping is a chrome plain prism F from 1965. I recently had it completely overhauled. It's a wonderful old tank and makes glorious photos, just like it did fifty years ago. :-)

I have the original Nikon coupled selenium cell meter for it too. The selenium cell is dead; I wonder who might be able to overhaul that... It would be nice to have it working again.

G

Old 10-24-2014   #18
Range-rover

I had (have) both, a F2 a long time ago it's a great built camera will last
a life time. Now I have a F3 which I use once in awhile it's nice as well but
it has a little bleeding of the LCD and I'm not sure if it can be fixed but
otherwise it works great and I think the finder is a bit brighter if that's
important to you.

Range

Old 10-24-2014   #19
Robert Lai

The F3 meter panel display is a small LCD. Nikon should still have replacement parts, seeing as this camera was still being built until relatively recently. Mine still has the original one from 1983, and it was going strong. (I have sold the camera recently).

I also have the plain prism F. I've been looking for a meter prism for the F, but ALL of the ones that I've looked at have had desilvering of the pentaprism. This is due to foam in the prism housing that eats away at the silver. You'll see this as black blobs in the viewing scene. My plain prism also had decementing of the doublet that forms the eyepiece. Luckily, Authorized Photo Service in Morton Grove, IL still had new old stock replacements of this very part. Nikon F2 prisms don't seem to suffer from these ailments.

If you want shutter priority automated exposure with an F2 camera, as long as it has the silicon blue diode sensors (F2SB, or F2AS), they did make a motorized device for this purpose. It will physically turn the aperture ring of the lens for you to the correct setting. Sover Wong has a video of the device in action, on his website.

Old 10-24-2014   #20
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
I also have the plain prism F. I've been looking for a meter prism for the F, but ALL of the ones that I've looked at have had desilvering of the pentaprism. This is due to foam in the prism housing that eats away at the silver. You'll see this as black blobs in the viewing scene. My plain prism also had decementing of the doublet that forms the eyepiece. Luckily, Authorized Photo Service in Morton Grove, IL still had new old stock replacements of this very part.
That's good to know! Thanks.

I was pretty lucky with the '65 F. A friend (Pentax enthusiast) gave it to me after it had been sitting in a box in his closet for a decade or more. (He didn't know what to do with it...)

The bottom half of the never-ready case, the meter attachment, and the plain prism were with it. He lost the lens (!), so it had been sitting with the lens off for years. The camera was full of dust and crud, not jammed but on its way there. I dropped it off for service and got it back in pristine operating order, clean and pretty, a month or two later. The plain prism has very little if any desilvering that I can see - no black blobs or other artifacts. I fitted my favorite A screen and the Nikkor-H 85/1.8 to it. A test roll of film proved it is in perfect shape now.

G

Old 10-24-2014   #21
emraphoto

i worked on both extensively. i have had to field repair a Nikon f3 numerous times due to electronics. one of my F2's i still shoot to this day and have not had to do a thing to it.

Old 10-24-2014   #22
emraphoto

with that said, they are both excellent cameras. keep in ind that what i expose a camera to, conditions wise, may not pertain to your needs.

Old 10-24-2014   #23
Ljós

Wouldn't it be nice if some ingenious soul came up with crowdfunding (or similar) project of a replacement LC-Display for the F3, something modern, visible day and night. Yeah the exposure readout in manual would still be subpar, but at least visibility would not be a problem.

Had an F3 and loved its confidence inspiring build etc. Loved the F2 even more, but then I am biased towards mechanical cameras. Both extremely fine cameras.

Old 10-24-2014   #24
CMur12

As I recall, the metering in the F3 is more strongly center-weighted (80% metering in the central circle compared to 60% for the F2 and F.)

- Murray

Old 10-24-2014   #25
Robert Lai

Correct about the meter pattern of the F3. The meter pattern for TTL flash is more of a rectangle though. Modern Photography did a thorough review of the camera when it first came out, and that review included the meter sensitivity patterns.

Also, the F3 is virtually immune to the meter being mislead by light entering through the viewfinder port. But, Nikon provided a nifty eyepiece shutter on the F3 prism for those times when you are shooting off a tripod. The F2A meter is more sensitive to light entering through the eyepiece, but lacks the eyepiece blind.

Regarding the F plain prism - mine has no desilvering either. However, when I asked Sover about repairing the FTN prism, he said that he can repair some of them, but he will not be able to fix desilvering, which is very common on the F meter prisms.

Old 10-24-2014   #26
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
"I've always been convinced that if the FA had been built to the same Industrial Strength specs as the Nikon Pro bodies, it would have been the successor to the F2, instead of the F3."

But it wasn't built to that standard, so it wasn't the successor.
Yeah, I like the idea of the FA, but hate that Nikon used plastic for the top and bottom plates and prism. My FM2 is all metal, not sure why Nikon did not keep it like that.

Old 10-24-2014   #27
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Though I was a Nikon user when it debuted I never wanted an F3.
That digital numerical meter readout with no scale is a dealbreaker.

Chris

Old 10-24-2014   #28
rbsinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Yeah, I like the idea of the FA, but hate that Nikon used plastic for the top and bottom plates and prism. My FM2 is all metal, not sure why Nikon did not keep it like that.
True enough.
But when I finally ran my first FA to death it wasn't the top or bottom plate that gave out, so I can't complain about that particular design decision.

Old 10-24-2014   #29
darya151

What is a good price for an F2 with eye level (DE-1) finder? The finders alone often cost more than the cameras with finder! I have an F2A and love the feel of it, but it weighs quite a bit. I have thought of getting an FM, just due to weight issues. Open to suggestions.
Many thanks,
darya

Old 10-24-2014   #30
FrankS

Nikkormats are pretty good too. Built like tanks, like the F2. Just no interchangeable finder.

Old 10-24-2014   #31
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by darya151 View Post
What is a good price for an F2 with eye level (DE-1) finder? The finders alone often cost more than the cameras with finder! I have an F2A and love the feel of it, but it weighs quite a bit. I have thought of getting an FM, just due to weight issues. Open to suggestions.
Many thanks,
darya
A good condition DE-1 finder by itself will cost more than the body with most other finders, even body +DP12 (the F2AS) finder. It's because it is the most elemental and now for some, most desired, option. 35mm SLR photography pared down to its most mechanical roots.

I honestly do not notice much difference in weight (but I do in size) when I mount the DE-1 vs the DP-12. I do also have an FM2n, which is a fantastic camera, and would recommend that it you do not want to pony up the big $$ for a DE-1. The FM2n really is remarkable - a full mechanical shutter than goes up to 1/4000 sec. That matches most DSLRs today! It also has a great viewfinder, is light (but still tough) and really nice to handle. They run about $100..

Or... you could get a well used F with the prism finder for about $150. That make a nice familial match to the F2.

Old 10-24-2014   #32
Huss

p.s. a good shape (no dings/dents) DE-1 finder is now about $250.

Old 10-24-2014   #33
Sid836

A nice DE-1 with a bit of patience can be bought at near $100 or even less. For less than $200 you can get a black one in a very good condition. I have bought my F2 for €165 with the DE-1 both in excellent condition. At €250 or a bit more you can get the F2 with the DP-12 on it.

Although the F3 looks nice, I would drop it and go for the FA. Both are electronic, but the FA offers all that an electronic camera should. As for its polycarbonate top and bottom plates they will break if you hit it hard, but even the all metal F3 will fail or at least will look as if a truck came over it when hit that hard. The F3 it is all metal, but by no means a tank. It has relatively thin metal sheets that can be bent or dented easily.

Old 10-25-2014   #34
Frontman

Get one of each, they complement each other. I have a few of each, three F3 Professionals, and an F3T, along with an F2 Titan, and an F2AS. All of these have seen heavy use, and all work properly. One of the F3P bodies has a stuck film counter after being repeatedly splashed with salt water for the course of a year, but works fine otherwise.

The DE-1 prisms are easily dented, especially the black ones, the prism on the F2 Titan is very difficult to dent.

Old 10-25-2014   #35
nobbylon

The only minor issue with the F3 is the LCD in the viewfinder however buy one with good contrast and it will last another 20 years! The film advance is the best of the F series and the camera just feels right. There's nothing wrong with the F2 but the F3 is an easier camera to use with its AE.
Which is most rugged? Both have proven themselves along with the early F that these cameras can take thousands of pics and keep going. Most F2's need servicing by now and Sover is the man for the job. He's done 2 F's and 3 F2's for me to date. I've had 5 F3's and none needed service. One had a faded lcd but it still worked as a camera perfectly.
The only issues I've had with F3's are a sticking frame counter reset pin, caused by interferance corrosion between the body metal and the steel pin. I fixed it myself but it was a pain as I had to take the rh top plate off and the wind head etc to get to it.
The other irritation is the secondary mirror starts to stick to the main mirror because of the old foam and can cause mirrors to slow down on return or even stick. Again it's a PITA to fix as you have to clean off the old foam behind the main mirror, Fiddly job but once refoamed it's back to normal ops.
I still have 2 F2's and an F3 and although I don't use MF much I'd choose the F3 every time.
One last thought, batteries last forever so ignore the 'reliant on battery' non issue.

Old 10-25-2014   #36
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsinto View Post
I've always been convinced that if the FA had been built to the same Industrial Strength specs as the Nikon Pro bodies, it would have been the successor to the F2, instead of the F3.
A large number of FA bodies got affected by some abnormal batteries drain problems so I wouldn't recommend it whatsoever. I often found myself forced to use the emergency M250 manual shutter speed while some new SR44 batteries had been installed in my new FA a few weeks before.

So, no Industrial Strength specs with the FA, which has now become something whose place is on the shelves of the Nikon Museum (for being the first camera featured with a multizones built-in meter) and nothing else.

Old 10-25-2014   #37
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
Get one of each, they complement each other. I have a few of each, three F3 Professionals, and an F3T, along with an F2 Titan, and an F2AS. All of these have seen heavy use, and all work properly. One of the F3P bodies has a stuck film counter after being repeatedly splashed with salt water for the course of a year, but works fine otherwise.

The DE-1 prisms are easily dented, especially the black ones, the prism on the F2 Titan is very difficult to dent.
Yep, get both.

Old 10-25-2014   #38
rbsinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
A large number of FA bodies got affected by some abnormal batteries drain problems so I wouldn't recommend it whatsoever. I often found myself forced to use the emergency M250 manual shutter speed while some new SR44 batteries had been installed in my new FA a few weeks before.

So, no Industrial Strength specs with the FA, which has now become something whose place is on the shelves of the Nikon Museum (for being the first camera featured with a multizones built-in meter) and nothing else.
You forgot the preface your remarks with "in my opinion' or "in my experience".
In my experience, the two FAs I've had and used in the last ten or fifteen years have worked flawlessly (right up the the day the first one physically began to fall apart from extreme use). I've never had battery issues, and the AMP metering (Matrix), although primitive by the standards of today has always given me excellent exposures.
I love the cameras so much that I'm thinking of getting rid of my other bodies and replacing them with additional motorized FA bodies.

Old 10-25-2014   #39
Ronald M

I really disliked Nikon until I found a nearly not used one around 2011. Works smoothly like a Leica SL and has improvements over the F both externally and internally.

I the finders are old tech with old style batteries and aging cells. Repair /update could be a problem.

Old 10-25-2014   #40
Huss

The F3 was designed by Italian designer Giorgetto Giugiaro, which is one reason it stayed so long in production! Even today it looks fantastic. He introduced the red stripe on the grip, which is now a Nikon signature.
And that grip, small that it is, does make the camera fit in the hand better than the F/F2.
So why do I like the F/F2 so much? Maybe it's because in my hand I imagine the turmoil that it's photographed in the 60's and 70's. With the F3 in my hand, I imagine the glam rock bands that it's photographed in the 80s!