Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Which Camera?
Old 10-04-2014   #1
1750Shooter

Which Camera?

I've come up with about $1200.00 & am looking for a general-purpose digital. I've got my Nikons (F2AS, F3HP, & FM3A) to cover almost everything, but I'm thinking about a digital for a packing, fishing, & general wandering-around camera. The short list is X-Pro1 or XE-1. I like the rangefinder-look & have a number of film rangefinders I can use. Am asking for advise on either one or suggestions for anything else. Thanks for any input.

Old 10-04-2014   #2
segedi
RFicianado

What lenses do you have and like? That will likely dictate a camera choice.

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 10-04-2014   #3
rolfe

Panasonic GX7 for interchangeable lenses or Fuji X100T for fixed lens.

Can't go wrong with either one.

Old 10-04-2014   #4
Mike-D

I have the X-e2 and the EVF is great. I don't even think about it. The standard zoom is super sharp and its lots of fun to use with adapted RF lenses. People always ask me if its a film camera

Old 10-04-2014   #5
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

FWIW, I tried the Fuji XE-2 and the Sony NEX and stayed with the Sony. I use the Zeiss 55m for portraits and the Touit 32mm for "normal." Focus peaking works great with my MF lenses, better IMHO than on the Fuji's. For sports or birds I go to the SLR, but for general, the Sony A6000 is great.

You mentioned $1200… The Zeiss 55mm is fab and works with the full-fram Sonys, but it's a little too expensive for that budget. The Sony 50mm is pretty good and has image stabilization. The 32mm Touit used prices are down as Zeiss has made other lens announcements.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Maybe wait for the new Panasonic LX100
Old 10-04-2014   #6
panerai

Maybe wait for the new Panasonic LX100

Some nice features and maybe the next one I buy, but since my current Panasonic is still working fine. Might buy this one a little later when prices drop a bit more.

Retail $899

Up to F16, 1/4000, 16mp and micro 4/3 sensor

DON

Old 10-04-2014   #7
Trooper

I love my Fuji X-E1. My brother loves his X-E2. My dad loves his Sony 7. My friend loves his Sony 7. The Panasonic DMC LX100 looks like a nice camera...

I didn't narrow it much for you, but my point is you won't really be disappointed with any of them.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...=41733&showall

Old 10-04-2014   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750Shooter View Post
... I've got my Nikons (F2AS, F3HP, & FM3A) to cover almost everything...
Mobile phone, the rest is waste of money. In your case and my...

Old 10-04-2014   #9
Scrambler

I'd give up a lot including style to get waterproof or at least weatherproof for your stated use.

My go-to wet camera is a waterproof smartphone. Battery life is pretty good. I also have a 5m waterproof P&S but the battery life is poor.

Old 10-05-2014   #10
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750Shooter View Post
I've got my Nikons (F2AS, F3HP, & FM3A) to cover almost everything, but I'm thinking about a digital for a packing, fishing, & general wandering-around camera.
Nikon 1 maybe?

Old 10-05-2014   #11
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai View Post
Some nice features and maybe the next one I buy, but since my current Panasonic is still working fine. Might buy this one a little later when prices drop a bit more.

Retail $899

Up to F16, 1/4000, 16mp and micro 4/3 sensor

DON
Just one point - you'll get about 12mp output in any aspect ratio since the lens's image circle doesn't cover the whole sensor.

Old 10-05-2014   #12
C_E

The sony a7 seems like the obvious choice, no need for new lenses as you can use all your nikkor and rf lenses. I'm sure you can find a used a7 and a M and F adapter for $1200 total.

Cole

Old 10-05-2014   #13
willie_901

To answer your question regarding the X-Pro 1 vs the XE-1: the X-Pro 1 is a bit quicker. If you appreciate the ability to view what's going on outside of the frame and, or plan to use the camera often in bright sunlight, the X-Pro 1's OVF is useful. However the X-Pro 1 requires old-fashioned screw-on diopters – as do your Nikon SLR bodies.

The XE-1is less expensive and is a good way to find out if enjoy the Fujifilm X system.

The Fujinon lenses perform well. The 27/2.8 is a great walking around lens. The 14/2.8 and 23/1.4 are larger and heavier, but they would be useful for landscapes. The 18/2 is intended to be a reportage lens. The high-level of software-based barrel distortion correction can degrade details at the frame's extreme edges. Many assume this is chromatic aberration, but it's not.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-05-2014   #14
Addy101

Do you want to use your Nikon lenses? If so, forget any m4/3 with its 2x crop, APS-C will be all right and full frame ideal. So, the Sony A7 could be your ideal choice, followed by Fuji, Sony and Samsung APS-C mirrorless. If you're eye is o Fuji, by all means, but to me I thought they were trying to be something they aren't (that is why I prefer Sony).

I think you should take a look at the Nikon D7100, it will meter with your manual focus lenses.