Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Best FSU for 35
Old 09-02-2014   #1
DCB

Best FSU for 35

What is the best FSU camera if I want to use a 35mm lens?

Thanks

Peace

Old 09-02-2014   #2
02Pilot
Malcontent

Assuming you're going to use an external finder, I'd say you want one where the position of the finder you're using is not too awkward and doesn't obstruct the shutter speed knob. I've used my FED-2 with a J-12 35mm and Canon VF with no problems, but there are too many variables to make a blanket recommendation.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 09-02-2014   #3
pete hogan

Perhaps you're aware of this already, DCB, but if you don't want to use an external viewfinder with the 35mm lens, turn the camera 90 degrees and the internal 50mm viewfinder will show the correct image height in composing the shot.

Zorki 1d Ektar

Old 09-02-2014   #4
DCB

Thanks Pete. I am not looking to adding an external finder if I can get away with it.

Is there one that does well with the 35mm lens (J-12) or such?

Thanks

Peace

Old 09-02-2014   #5
pete hogan

See what recommendations come up on this thread. I like my Zorki 1c, but that's the extent of my FSU experience.

O2's point about clearance to the speed dial is good, that's pretty close on the Z1.

Zorki 1d Ektar

Old 09-02-2014   #6
AndersG

If you don't want an external finder, I think you are out of luck w.r.t. all the common LTM ones (FED 1-5, Zorki 1-6) as their built in finders are all for a ~50mm lens. IIRC neither the Leningrad nor the Droug(?) have a 35mm frame line but perhaps the full coverage of the viewfinder comes close? (And did both have frame lines?)

If you are good at visualizing the parts you don't see you might get away with the 90 deg turn and back described above, but I think a good 35mm finder would make the process much more enjoyable (be aware of parallax problems at close range, though).

I use a FSU turret finder which is not small and offers a rather squinty view - its only and questionable advantages are low price and outlandish looks...

/Anders

Old 09-02-2014   #7
pete hogan

Shooting at a range of 20 feet, the horizontal image from a 35mm will be 3.5 feet wider on each side than from a 50mm. You can scale it from there for different ranges. I find that easier to gauge than the height addition.

Zorki 1d Ektar

Old 09-02-2014   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB View Post
Thanks Pete. I am not looking to adding an external finder if I can get away with it.

Is there one that does well with the 35mm lens (J-12) or such?

Thanks

Peace
I didn't find any. This was main reason to buy Bessa R for me. But then it didn't work well with J-12

Old 09-02-2014   #9
Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I didn't find any. This was main reason to buy Bessa R for me. But then it didn't work well with J-12
It depends on your J12 whether it will mount on a Bessa. Some do, some don't (focus to infinity) Best camera I have for a J12 is a Konica Hexar RF, which mounts and meters J12s.

Old 09-02-2014   #10
CliveC

The J-12 is a curious lens. It protrudes so far into the camera that it limits compatibility. It works (barely) with the GXR M-mount, but does not fit on the X-Pro1 with a Leica mount adapter. It fits the Canon 7 and P, though I have not shot any film with that combination as of yet.

Old 09-02-2014   #11
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
It depends on your J12 whether it will mount on a Bessa. Some do, some don't (focus to infinity) Best camera I have for a J12 is a Konica Hexar RF, which mounts and meters J12s.
I have one which was mounting. Silver version, earlier production years. No problem on R and L.
But exposure meter sensor was blocked for obvious reason.

Old 09-03-2014   #12
Elmar Lang

Hello,

the viewfinder of the Leningrad, actually gives the view for the 35mm. with further internal frames, for the 50/85/135.

I think it's the only FSU rangefinder camera with this feature.

Anyways, I don't think that it's so complicate the use of an external finder, like the very useful turret one.

E.L.

Old 09-04-2014   #13
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

I believe the Leningrad is almost certainly as close as you can get to compatibility with a 35mm lens. The finder is extremely good, with parallax-correcting framelines for 50, 85 and 135mm lenses. The full frame is for 35.

I believe it is one of only two RF cameras ever made to have a true split-image rangefinder, the other being an obscure east German make whose name escapes me at the moment. It also has a very long RF baseline, so focus accuracy is very good indeed.

The Leningrad with an 85mm Jupiter 9 lens

The largest- and smallest-ever LTM cameras

The fabulous Leningrad finder

Its level of finish is significantly higher than other FSU cameras, with the possible exception of very early Kievs.

But it's big, heavy, and clunky, and makes a sound loud enough that you would need to exercise great care in avalanche zones. I love it.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 09-04-2014   #14
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

I believe the Leningrad is almost certainly the only FSU camera to properly handle 35mm lenses. The finder is extremely good, with parallax-correcting framelines for 50, 85, and 135mm lenses. Full frame is for 35's. I recall that the frames stay put and the view moves behind them as you focus. Best VF ever!

I believe it is one of only two RF cameras ever made to have a true split-image rangefinder, the other being an obscure east German make whose name escapes me at the moment. It also has a very long RF baseline, so focus accuracy is very good indeed.

The Leningrad with an 85mm Jupiter 9 lens

The largest- and smallest-ever LTM cameras

The fabulous Leningrad finder

Its level of finish is significantly higher than other FSU cameras, with the possible exception of very early Kievs.

But it's big, heavy, and clunky, and makes a sound loud enough that you would need to exercise great care in avalanche zones. I love it.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 09-04-2014   #15
DCB

Different question.

Do you really have to cut the film leader before you load?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2014   #16
Elmar Lang

This is true for Leica-type cameras: I mean the bottom-loading ones, like the early FEDs and Zorkis.

The soviet manufacturers learned a lot, after the Contax design: its completely removable back makes loading very easy and quick.

I am a RF Kiev (and Contax) fan. Anyways, I think that the Zorki 3 and 4 and the FED-2 are excellent too.

The Leningrad was a masterpiece under any point of view, with one of the best viewfinders ever seen in a professional-oriented camera. The prizes won in Brussels and Leipzig were all well-deserved. It's a pity that some mechanical details were made with low-quality material, but a well preserved/overhauled piece, is still a very fine camera to use... all right, far from avalanche zones!

Best wishes,

E.L.

Old 09-05-2014   #17
Scrambler

Quote:
Different question. Do you really have to cut the film leader before you load? Thanks
Assuming you have a bottom loading camera, No, but every other option is more trouble than cutting.

There are a number of systems for short leader films, which are complex and take time. And are so much trouble that cutting the leader is actually simpler.

I bulk load and don't cut any leader. This is more trouble to load than a long leader but less than a standard short leader.

A long leader just works smoothly. I cut them for anything I want to load quickly, simply, the first time.

Old 09-05-2014   #18
pete hogan

The everready case for my Zorki 1c came with a thin plastic card which some use to aid in loading film, but I haven't tried it. Cutting a half-width leader from the 24th sprocket hole to the end works well. Don't cut through a sprocket hole.

Zorki 1d Ektar

Old 09-05-2014   #19
fanshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete hogan View Post
The everready case for my Zorki 1c came with a thin plastic card which some use to aid in loading film, but I haven't tried it. Cutting a half-width leader from the 24th sprocket hole to the end works well. Don't cut through a sprocket hole.
The card isn't intended for film loading. It is for making notes using a pencil.

Old 09-05-2014   #20
pete hogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanshaw View Post
The card isn't intended for film loading. It is for making notes using a pencil.
Good thing I didn't jam it in there then. There are some illegible markings on it.

BTW, there's a reference in the old LTM sticky about loading with plastic cards, specifically the Zorki er case card, and film threading. Post #52 on Page 3 poses concerns about damaging the film pressure plate. There are similar concerns noted in Zorki loading threads in Leica SM Copies.

The original trimming method has worked well for several years with my IIf and more recently with the Zorki 1c. They're the same. It becomes easy with practice.

Zorki 1d Ektar

Last edited by pete hogan : 09-05-2014 at 13:47. Reason: Added sticky ref

Old 09-05-2014   #21
gb hill

Quote:
Different question.

Do you really have to cut the film leader before you load?

Thanks
...........yes Here's why http://www.zorkikat.com/tag/zorki-film-loading/

Old 09-25-2014   #22
Wulfthari

I confirm that the Leningrad is the best choice for the J12, alternatively KMZ produced a nice a small viewfinder for 35mm...that lens has such a deep DOF so at close apertures I just set it with an hyperfocal and I don't use the main viewfinder/rangefinder at all.
Zorki 4K,5,6, Leningrad,Industar 61LD 1:2.8/55,Orion 15 1:5,6/28,Jupiter 8 1:2.0/50,Jupiter 9 1:2.0/85,Jupiter 11 1:4/135,Jupiter 12 1:2.8/35

Old 09-25-2014   #23
Lawrence Sheperd

Dez sez

"I believe it is one of only two RF cameras ever made to have a true split-image rangefinder, the other being an obscure east German make whose name escapes me at the moment."

That would be the Carl Zeiss Jenna Werra.

Larry

Old 09-26-2014   #24
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

If you've already got an ex-USSR made camera body* then the Jupiter 35mm lens will fit it but the view-finder will be for 50mm and so you'll need an external finder. There's lots of them about but the USSR made version of the original Carl Zeiss one is perfectly OK. No better and no worse than any other solution unless you have very deep pockets. (Several of the other solutions are a bit worse imo.) It has two or three marks for eack lens and covers one metre and infinity for each one. You need to buy the correct version** for your camera to clear the shutter speed dial.

Regards, David

* If you haven't already got one then the FED 2 is the best place to start imo.

** Meaning with the optics on the left hand side of the accessory shoe when seen from the rear.

Old 09-26-2014   #25
KnipsOmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Sheperd View Post
Dez sez

"I believe it is one of only two RF cameras ever made to have a true split-image rangefinder, the other being an obscure east German make whose name escapes me at the moment."

That would be the Carl Zeiss Jenna Werra.
Carl Zeiss Werra 3, Werra 4, Werra 5 or Werra matic. Other Werra models 1, 2 and Werra mat did not have rangefinders.

By the way, despite the name of the combinate - Carl Zeiss Jena - the Werras were not manufactured in Jena. They were assembled in a separate plant in Eisfeld.

Werra 1 - viewfinder only. No meter, no rangefinder. Fixed 50/2.8 Tessar or 50/3.5 Novonar lens

Werra 2 - viewfinder and uncoupled meter. No rangefinder. Fixed Tessar lens

Werra 3 - coupled rangefinder. No meter. Interchangeable set lenses.

Werra 4 - coupled rangefinder and uncoupled meter. Interchangeable set lenses

Werra 5 - coupled rangefinder and coupled meter. Interchangeable set lenses

Werra mat - viewfinder and coupled meter. No rangefinder. Fixed Tessar lens

Werra matic - coupled rangefinder and coupled meter. Interchangeable set lenses.

For the interchangeable lenses models, there were 3 set lenses available: 50/2.8 Tessar, 35/2.8 Flektogon or 100/4 Cardinar

There's various submodels available for the 1 - 1A, 1B, 1C. This is mostly about different shutter versions, in case of 1C also about an additional accessory shoe. Then there's submodels "E" of 1, 2, 3, mat and matic models, that's a newer "striped" exterior design and also accessory shoe. but speaking about rangefinders and meters, it's all the same as above with all the submodels.