Cheap portrait lens for my M3
Old 07-23-2014   #1

Cheap portrait lens for my M3

Hey all,

I've been looking at portrait lenses for the M3 and while I don't do a lot of them, I thought it'd be nice to have a more telelens. I currently have a 40mm 1.4 voigtlander and minolta 50mm f/2.

Wanted to get some opinions on the Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 lenses. There seems to be 4 versions a black and a silver, and each with a long thinner and short wider design. Any difference in performance?

Old 07-23-2014   #2
siracusa

Without wishing to hijack your thread as you asked specifically about the j9, if you're looking for a reasonably priced portrait lens, have you considered the 9cm f4 Elmar in ltm mount? Outstanding value, an excellent portrait lens, and you won't run into the focusing problems that a J9 might well present (there are numerous posts about the focus issue with the J9 on rff, along with success stories such as johann's).

Old 07-23-2014   #3
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

There will tend to be more variation between examples than between types, as quality control was often iffy. The J9 is capable of excellent results, but tends to back focus significantly at short focusing distances on a Leica body. Adjusting them to focus correctly at close range is quite easy, but rather fiddly and time consuming. Here's a link to one method.

http://pentax-manuals.com/repairs/j9collim.pdf

Although the title is wrong (adjusting the focus has nothing to do with collimating, which is a major effort usually only possible in the factory), the method is valid. I check infinity focus with a ground glass at the film plane rather than the SLR method which looks elegant, but I haven't tried it. You will usually need to add a thicker shim behind the optial block to get it to focus correctly at, say 2m.With the thicker shim in place the aperture index will be in the wrong place. Make a new one at the top of the lens, slacken the three grub screws holding the aperture ring on, and rotate it to match the new index correctly, and tighten them back up. It's easier than it sounds. Of course the low-work alternative is to check the close focus accuracy against a target, remember how much it shifts, and correct accordingly. Here's a test I did on a Jupiter 3 at 1m distance that shows that it back focuses by approximately one inch.

Another approach is to but a screwmount Elmar 90 f4. It is slow, and not very contrasty, but you probably don't want too much contrast in a portrait lens. It's a popular lens which Leitz manufactured for about 30 years. It is also dirt cheap. You can easily pick up a good one for $100.

Cheers,
Dez

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143678
Old 07-23-2014   #4
leicapixie

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143678

A very simple solution.
Crop.
Look with the 90mm frame and see the crop.
Use your standard lens and crop.
Magic.

Old 07-23-2014   #5
rolfe

Even if you find a very good example of a J9, you will spend more getting the lubrication replaced and generally overhaulling the lens than you would spend on a thin Leica Tele-Elmarit. Ask me how I know this :-). My J9 sits on the shelf these days.

Old 07-23-2014   #6
Brian Legge

Given the need for accurate focus, I'd be reluctant to gamble on a J9 as some (most?) cannot be shimmed to focus accurately from what I've heard.

I would take a look at the Canon 100mm 3.5 LTM, Voigtlander 90mm 3.5 or if you get lucky, Nikkor 105mm 2.5 (I've seen a few LTM ones near $300 recently). The Canon in particular is a steal - and it is tiny.

Old 07-23-2014   #7
CNNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by siracusa View Post
if you're looking for a reasonably priced portrait lens, have you considered the 9cm f4 Elmar in ltm mount
This lens is just as easy to find in M-mount, for similar prices. That would save the OP the cost of an ltm-m adapter. Another option is the elmarit 90/2.8. A bit more expensive but highly rated, though I have never owned one.

Old 07-23-2014   #8

Thanks for all the detailed info guys, I think you've convinced me to shy away from the J9.

I'm going to take a look around for the 9cm f/4 elmar and possibly the 90 f/2.8 as well.

Old 07-23-2014   #9
hendriphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
A very simple solution.
Crop.
Look with the 90mm frame and see the crop.
Use your standard lens and crop.
Magic.
What a great idea! I'll have to try it.

BTW a decent used elmarit 90/2.8 (without scratches or fungus) costs ~$1,000 on *bay.

Old 07-23-2014   #10
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

Well....... The latest Elmarit-M would cost that much, but the tele-Elmarit is more like $600, and the longer but just as good original Elmarit might be found under $400 if you're lucky.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 07-23-2014   #11
mfogiel

The old 9cm Elmar M - silver thin version, or the first Elmarit 90 are outstanding portrait lenses with a bokeh that you will not easily find nowadays - the iris is just behind the first lens, and in the Elmar the aperture is perfectly circular at every f stop. To compensate for low contrast, use a 100 ISO film and always keep the hood on.

Old 07-23-2014   #12
Spicy

i'll speak up on behalf of the Canon 100/3.5. great lens for travel (absolutely tiny and light). not the fastest at 3.5, but that's really only a stop and a half slower than f2.

i had mine overhauled by Youxin when i went down to see him a year or two ago.

a few (minor) points of note -- the design is quite old ergonomically speaking. while optically it's a pretty solid performer, it's not quite "modern" when it comes to having things like:
-aperture ring has no click-stops (you get used to it)
-focus throw is SUUUUUPER long, roughly 270* (also you get used to it. does allow for quite fine degree of focusing precision, which is good, but can be slow if you're looking for street candids)
-aperture ring rotates with the lens barrel, which can be mildly annoying if you're constantly changing aperture (can't do it by feel, as the aforementioned lack of click-stops).
-it's 100mm lens, so if you're picky about framing (anyone using an RF for portraiture really has no right to be), you'll need an accessory viewfinder, a body with 100mm framelines to mount it on, or you'll just have to deal with it.

if you're willing to deal with the quirks mentioned above, it's a *VERY* hard lens to beat at the size/weight/performance for like $120 plus an LTM adapter.

Old 07-24-2014   #13
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

But, the Jupiter is a pleasant lens to use and dirt cheap.

Why not buy one and then get it checked, cleaned of old lubricant etc and then just use it? My experience of Jupiters and my experience of repairs to lenses like the ones on my M2, IIIC and other pre-war ones, makes me suggest this course.

A Jupiter that's been checked and so on is a thing of beauty and a joy to use. And (again) it won't cost the earth to buy and check etc.

All the other lenses suggested will be old and second-hand as well. So you are taking a chance with them and paying more for just the same risk...

Regards, David

PS I've several ex-USSR lenses (meaning a dozen, at least) and have had no problems with them that I've not had on Leica's finest. Meaning both a Jupiter and Leica lens I own are/were a bit stiff to focus.

PPS (Edit) FWIW, I've had to scrap two Leica lenses as beyond repair. And I've had one cleaned due to haze. The charges for stripping down and testing the U/S Leitz ones were about double the charge for the cleaning the hazy one. The one that was cleaned cost about UKP 20: I've yet to scrap an ex-USSR lens or send one for repair...

FWIW (2), I think the main problem with ex-USSR lenses is that ham-fisted idiots who don't know a collimator from a colander think it is a simple matter to repair or restore them. They are happy to do this because they are cheap lenses and it won't matter if they wreck them, and they often do, and then sell them.

They don't mess around with Leica lenses as they cost serious money. The flaw in this logic is that the low cost of a lens doesn't make you a technical expert. Why they can't see this escapes me at the moment; worse still, they are allowed to vote and wooed by politicians...

Forums where people are told that they can do it easily at home have a lot to answer for, imo.

Old 07-24-2014   #14
Schlapp

Why not develop techniques to use the lens you have effectively? Just saying

Old 07-24-2014   #15
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
i'll speak up on behalf of the Canon 100/3.5. great lens for travel (absolutely tiny and light). not the fastest at 3.5, but that's really only a stop and a half slower than f2.

i had mine overhauled by Youxin when i went down to see him a year or two ago.

a few (minor) points of note -- the design is quite old ergonomically speaking. while optically it's a pretty solid performer, it's not quite "modern" when it comes to having things like:
-aperture ring has no click-stops (you get used to it)
-focus throw is SUUUUUPER long, roughly 270* (also you get used to it. does allow for quite fine degree of focusing precision, which is good, but can be slow if you're looking for street candids)
-aperture ring rotates with the lens barrel, which can be mildly annoying if you're constantly changing aperture (can't do it by feel, as the aforementioned lack of click-stops).
-it's 100mm lens, so if you're picky about framing (anyone using an RF for portraiture really has no right to be), you'll need an accessory viewfinder, a body with 100mm framelines to mount it on, or you'll just have to deal with it.

if you're willing to deal with the quirks mentioned above, it's a *VERY* hard lens to beat at the size/weight/performance for like $120 plus an LTM adapter.
One other minor point - many of them suffer from fungus etching on internal lenses.

Otherwise a great lens.

Old 07-24-2014   #16
k__43
Registered Film User

I used to own the Elmarit 90 (v1 long version) and it gave super nice results (maybe a bit dull on C41), but I sold it because i was going for a 50mm mostly when shooting people.
Now I bought a elmar-c 90/4 because it's cheap and tiny.

Both can be bought around the same price when the elmar is in good or the elmarit is in bad shape. It's a matter of portability vs. one stop.

Old 07-24-2014   #17
ray*j*gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by siracusa View Post
Without wishing to hijack your thread as you asked specifically about the j9, if you're looking for a reasonably priced portrait lens, have you considered the 9cm f4 Elmar in ltm mount? Outstanding value, an excellent portrait lens, and you won't run into the focusing problems that a J9 might well present (there are numerous posts about the focus issue with the J9 on rff, along with success stories such as johann's).
Plus 1 for the Elmar.... I have an uncoated version and its really excellent with all the character one could want. I also have the M version (coated of course) and its also excellent but does not have the OOF beauty of the LTM lens.

Old 07-24-2014   #18
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

My favoured (relatively) inexpensive portrait lens is now a P C Nikkor 85mm/f2 in LTM which I picked up some time ago from a fellow RFFer for [mumble; I forget] small hundreds of dollars. I've under-used it, though, as I've seldom gone past my 75mm Summilux for such duties (that one can't be regarded as low cost!). However, the Summilux is spending time in the shop so the Nikkor has been getting exercise - and I've realised I have been ignoring a really good lens. I collected my Summilux the other day but suspect the Nikkor will now get more use than I've previously given it.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 07-24-2014   #19
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

But, the Jupiter is a pleasant lens to use and dirt cheap.

Why not buy one and then get it checked, cleaned of old lubricant etc and then just use it? My experience of Jupiters and my experience of repairs to lenses like the ones on my M2, IIIC and other pre-war ones, makes me suggest this course.

A Jupiter that's been checked and so on is a thing of beauty and a joy to use. And (again) it won't cost the earth to buy and check etc.

All the other lenses suggested will be old and second-hand as well. So you are taking a chance with them and paying more for just the same risk...

Regards, David

PS I've several ex-USSR lenses (meaning a dozen, at least) and have had no problems with them that I've not had on Leica's finest. Meaning both a Jupiter and Leica lens I own are/were a bit stiff to focus.

PPS (Edit) FWIW, I've had to scrap two Leica lenses as beyond repair. And I've had one cleaned due to haze. The charges for stripping down and testing the U/S Leitz ones were about double the charge for the cleaning the hazy one. The one that was cleaned cost about UKP 20: I've yet to scrap an ex-USSR lens or send one for repair...

FWIW (2), I think the main problem with ex-USSR lenses is that ham-fisted idiots who don't know a collimator from a colander think it is a simple matter to repair or restore them. They are happy to do this because they are cheap lenses and it won't matter if they wreck them, and they often do, and then sell them.

They don't mess around with Leica lenses as they cost serious money. The flaw in this logic is that the low cost of a lens doesn't make you a technical expert. Why they can't see this escapes me at the moment; worse still, they are allowed to vote and wooed by politicians...

Forums where people are told that they can do it easily at home have a lot to answer for, imo.
Dear David,

Seconded. I'd go for an 85/2 Jupiter over a 90/4 Elmar any day -- and I've had several of both.

Of course the ultimate answer is a Thambar 90/2.2 but alas "cheap" is not part of the equation: see http://www.shutterbug.com/content/le...-portrait-lens

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-24-2014   #20
shortstop

Excellent review, Roger Hicks.
I have a similar lens for 4x5: Rodenstock Imagon. Rarely used, I admit. the lightness of a leica with thambar would shoot more with a soft focus lens.
The price is the problem.

Old 07-24-2014   #21
JMQ

The 105/2.5 or 10.5cm f2.5 Nikkor in LTM. A little big and heavy, but the results are well documented. In fact, there is one for sale in the classifieds now (not affiliated with seller).

Old 07-24-2014   #22
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

How about selling of two what you have, adding "J-9" money and getting Summicron DR?

50mm is the portrait range on 35mm RF and close up will give you heads with smooth bokeh.

Old 07-24-2014   #23
kshapero
Press the Shutter

I have the 9cm f4 Elmar in ltm mount and I love it, but I recently sprang for a Zeiss 85/4, waiting to see how that works out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-24-2014   #24
Platinum RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear David,
Of course the ultimate answer is a Thambar 90/2.2 but alas "cheap" is not part of the equation: see http://www.shutterbug.com/content/le...-portrait-lens

Cheers,

R.
Who need Thambar except collector? I can just put vaseline on any lens to achieve the result of Thambar.

For small size the later Canon 100 f3.5 is very light, Nikkor 105 f2.5 is excellent. They are cheap now. I have seem Nikkor 105 f2.5 LTM with shade case for less than $260 on evil bay.

Old 07-24-2014   #25
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum RF View Post
Who need Thambar except collector? I can just put vaseline on any lens to achieve the result of Thambar.

For small size the later Canon 100 f3.5 is very light, Nikkor 105 f2.5 is excellent. They are cheap now. I have seem Nikkor 105 f2.5 LTM with shade case for less than $260 on evil bay.
No, you can't. The difference between Vaseline on the lens, and under-corrected spherical aberration, is very great indeed -- as you would know if you had tried it. Also,a purpose-build soft-focus lens gives repeatable results, unlike Vaseline. Read the review I linked to and you'll see that I didn't expect to be impressed by the Thambar, but I was.

All soft-focus lenses and screens give different effects -- I own or have owned maybe half a dozen, for a variety of formats -- and the cheapest way to get repeatable effects is with moulded glass soft-focus screens such as the Zeiss Softar or the "spider web" screen Kodak used to make.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-24-2014   #26
xxloverxx
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray*j*gun View Post
Plus 1 for the Elmar.... I have an uncoated version and its really excellent with all the character one could want. I also have the M version (coated of course) and its also excellent but does not have the OOF beauty of the LTM lens.
+1 on the Elmar 90 —*I have the black LTM version from just before WW2 and, although I haven't done any portraits on it, I wouldn't hesitate to choose it. Got it for just under 100USD.

Old 07-24-2014   #27
45-Otto

Another sleeper is the 85MM f2.8 Steinheil Culminar in LTM, used with a proper LTM/M series adaptor. No focus issues on either a Barnack or an M. These can be had rather inexpensively on the auction site and are nice low contrast and just sharp enough lenses for portraiture. Used wide open you can achieve nice separation from background objects.

Rd.

Old 07-24-2014   #28
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

85mm Nikkor f2 in ltm. If I remember right it's also a sonnar.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Oops...
Old 07-24-2014   #29
David Hughes
David Hughes

Oops...

Hi,

I forgot the second part of the question about Jupiters; what you have to watch for is the mount; they fitted a variety of cameras and the sellers don't always mention the mount or care. Plus the 39mm version came in SLR and RF versions for both Zenits and FEDs and Zorkis.

Another point that has to be made about the Jupiter 85mm f/2 lens is that it is not frighteningly sharp but just right for portraiture, especially of young and not so young ladies...

Regards, David

Old 07-24-2014   #30
BillBingham2

For cheap the 9cm f4 Elmar has a great signature. Mine was one of the M mount version, had a bit of a dent in the filter ring but was fun to use.

For a surprisingly medium price I've seen some Nikkor 105/2.5 ltm mount lenses that quite frankly will rock your world. Sub $300 for a good example IMHO is a bargain. I haven't seen any 85mm Nikkors out there in the past month but that's another great option.

Komura made some fine glass and when it's clean does a surprisingly good job.

B2 (;->

Old 07-24-2014   #31
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
.....Plus the 39mm version came in SLR and RF versions for both Zenits and FEDs and Zorkis.
Great point David! Focusing without a RF cam is, well, somewhat of a pain.

B2

Old 07-24-2014   #32
raid
Dad Photographer

The Elmar 9cm/4 and the Elmarit 90/2.8 come to mind, plus the inexpensive Steinheil Culminar 85/2.8 ($75). Another sleeper lens is the inexpensive and very sharp Canon 100/3.5 ltm ($125).

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-24-2014   #33
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Another option, with a bit more money but yet cheap, is a v2 90 summicron (M mount), the one that's big, with collapsible hood...
They're usually in the $600-$700 range, but from time to time KEH has one or two for around $300, bargain grade.
I bought one of those after seeing some very nice images done with that version, and I really like it for a portrait lens: one that's not for carrying everywhere or travelling, but for real, slow, enjoyable portraiture... For travelling or carrying constantly, a thinner / smaller f2.8 or f4 90 must be a better option, although not a better lens for portraits, because of selective focus possibilities and bokeh...
Cheers,
Juan

Old 07-24-2014   #34
GaryLH

Also checkout the 90f4 (Leica or Minolta) that were made for the Leica/Minolta CL and the Minolta CLE. U can usually find them at a reasonable price as well.

Gary