Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

finding vivian maier
Old 03-02-2014   #1
back alley
IMAGES

finding vivian maier

worthwhile seeing this documentary…saw it last night and it was amazing seeing her photographs on the big screen in all their big neg glory!
she was certainly a character…turns out, a somewhat sad character…the last of the film was a bit depressing finding out more of her personal story.

if you get a chance to see it, please do!

Old 03-02-2014   #2
Steve Bellayr

Continuing on the same thought read Barry Paris' biography of "Louise Brooks" and/or Carolyn Burke,s biography of Lee Miller.

Old 03-02-2014   #3
gb hill

Where can one find it showing? Sounds interesting.

edit: Just found the link, closest showing is Asheville NC

http://www.vivianmaier.com/film-finding-vivian-maier/

Old 03-02-2014   #4
keithp

Thanks for posting the link. It's playing at my favorite theater in Scottsdale, AZ in April. I just put it on the calendar. I can't wait.

Old 03-02-2014   #5
Pablito
coco frío

and if you are in Chicago, see the exhibition at the Chicago History Museum. It's a wonderful show.

Old 03-02-2014   #6
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
Where can one find it showing? Sounds interesting.

edit: Just found the link, closest showing is Asheville NC

http://www.vivianmaier.com/film-finding-vivian-maier/
I'm currently living in Asheville, so thanks for letting me know! I'll definitely check it out.

Finding Vivian Maier
Old 03-02-2014   #7
akptc
Shoot first, think later

Finding Vivian Maier

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithp View Post
Thanks for posting the link. It's playing at my favorite theater in Scottsdale, AZ in April. I just put it on the calendar. I can't wait.
Hi, could you point me to the correct theater in Scottsdale? Thanks! - Andy

Old 03-02-2014   #8
NY_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
and if you are in Chicago, see the exhibition at the Chicago History Museum. It's a wonderful show.
Saw the show this past Monday. Thing is, it's a history museum, and they present photography/art much differently from an art museum. To me, the exhibit was hokey and indulgent. Hokey because, well what else would you call 4x4 prints mounted to plastic and strung on hooks from the ceiling that one had to navigate around and walk into weird U shapes to view. Indulgent, because creating a department store like window display from photos puts the emphasis much more on the person staging the work than the work itself. And, obviously because it's the Chicago History Museum, the work is Chicago-centric. Many of the hanging prints are scratched, the lighting is challenging, and the black walls bit... oh what to write? The printing on the large prints isn't impressive at all. The nicest prints are the 4 framed prints near the entrance to the exhibit. This collection is not from the Maloof trove, but from the 10 percent Goldstein collection. Goldstein to his credit has tackled his trove with darkroom wet printing -- and those 4 prints are nice. Nonetheless, I was in Chicago on assignment, and part of my pre-shoot day arrival plans were centered on catching the exhibit and walking around the town a small bit, and visiting Central Camera -- they opened in 1899! Chicago deep dish pizza -- okay, loved Chicago -- not so much love for the pizza. NYC brick over thin crust that's the shizzle. And Harry Carry's -- ugh, cue stomach roll - nuff said. Amalfi now called Kenzie Hotel -- superb. The big chrome bean must be sean.

Old 03-02-2014   #9
taemo

is the screening all day or specific time in the evening?

will be in LA on April 4, 12 hours layover so might be able to watch it in Costa Mesa!

Old 03-02-2014   #10
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

i have the book 'Vivian Maier Street Photographer'...Tres Fab !
much prefer it to the other book 'out of the shadows'

Now I must see the documentary since she and i share a Birthday, the streets of NY, and a lust for shooting

Thanks for the heads up

Old 03-02-2014   #11
NY_Dan

I too prefer the Street Photo book over the Shadows one. But, I really do not like the printing or design on Powerhouse photo books that much.

Old 03-02-2014   #12
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Dan View Post
Saw the show this past Monday. Thing is, it's a history museum, and they present photography/art much differently from an art museum. To me, the exhibit was hokey and indulgent. Hokey because, well what else would you call 4x4 prints mounted to plastic and strung on hooks from the ceiling that one had to navigate around and walk into weird U shapes to view. Indulgent, because creating a department store like window display from photos puts the emphasis much more on the person staging the work than the work itself. And, obviously because it's the Chicago History Museum, the work is Chicago-centric. Many of the hanging prints are scratched, the lighting is challenging, and the black walls bit... oh what to write? The printing on the large prints isn't impressive at all. The nicest prints are the 4 framed prints near the entrance to the exhibit. This collection is not from the Maloof trove, but from the 10 percent Goldstein collection. Goldstein to his credit has tackled his trove with darkroom wet printing -- and those 4 prints are nice. Nonetheless, I was in Chicago on assignment, and part of my pre-shoot day arrival plans were centered on catching the exhibit and walking around the town a small bit, and visiting Central Camera -- they opened in 1899! Chicago deep dish pizza -- okay, loved Chicago -- not so much love for the pizza. NYC brick over thin crust that's the shizzle. And Harry Carry's -- ugh, cue stomach roll - nuff said. Amalfi now called Kenzie Hotel -- superb. The big chrome bean must be sean.
I disagree with virtually all your observations about the exhibition. The four darkroom prints by the entrance are quite poor - printed with so much contrast the shadows are plugged up and the highlights are blown out. The large prints are gorgeous with a broad tonal spectrum (they are Lambda prints, by the way, not that it matters...) and the exhibition is designed to envelop you. As you walk through the environment, you can see other large photos through the spaces between the prints - almost like walking through the city itself. The small photos on the wall are fascinating, they represent whole rolls of film. Astounding how she made every frame count. It's almost as though each frame on the roll was a "keeper". What I find hokey and indulgent is the notion that photography has to be exhibited in a certain manner, with artisanal framed darkroom prints, all matted and framed nicely on a pristine white gallery wall. The Chicago History Museum exhibition demonstrates that photography can be many things, and does not necessarily have to consist of precious objects behind glass. The exhibition immerses you in Chicago, the street, the characters, the rhythms. I noticed the scratches on some of the prints - so what? The exhibition has been up a long time - it will run a year or more. If that is the price you must pay for a more intimate experience, so be it. Just stand back a little. (People pay extra for nice "brassing" on their black paint Leicas...) This museum gets visited - and thousands of people have had the opportunity to feel the pulse of her work because of this exhibit. As opposed, for instance, to the lofty high art world of the Howard Greenberg Gallery in NYC, which also had a Maier show recently, visitited by a small fraction of those who saw and will see the CHM show.

Old 03-02-2014   #13
NY_Dan

Pablito what can I say? You're right, I'm wrong. What does Howard Greenberg know? You should set him straight!

Old 03-02-2014   #14
Pablito
coco frío

Glad we agree, then! And I did set Howard straight...

Old 03-02-2014   #15
Texsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Dan View Post
I too prefer the Street Photo book over the Shadows one. But, I really do not like the printing or design on Powerhouse photo books that much.
I agree completely!

I was a financial backer of the Vivian Maier project, but have been very disappointed with the quality of the publications of her brilliant images.

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified - 2015.

Old 03-02-2014   #16
meanstreetshooter

Lucky me! I get to see the screening in Canton, Ohio 7-31-14 or 8-1-14. I'm surprised this did not go to Cleveland.

Old 03-03-2014   #17
NY_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsport View Post
I agree completely!

I was a financial backer of the Vivian Maier project, but have been very disappointed with the quality of the publications of her brilliant images.

Texsport
Texsport please tell us more about the back story of being a backer on the Vivian Maier project.

With regards to her body of work: it seems there is a percentage, perhaps large that hasn't been scanned/printed/developed. To my knowledge, Maloof is going or initially went the desktop flatbed scanner and inkjet print route. This doesn't seem ideal. And the quantity of undeveloped film seems mathematically exaggerated based upon the number of rolls one could go through. Who knows? And how much of this 40 plus year old undeveloped film is salvageable? My point is that before the first books were printed, it would've been great to have had all the work available for evaluation and inclusion. The 2 camps Maloof and Goldstein need to put Vivian first and cooperate on books and shows so the overall impression isn't fragmented. From my point of view, many very poor examples of her work have been shown. The hype of her being a nanny with a back story shouldn't green-light a lesser photo being featured. She does after all have more than enough to pick from. Her later color work, 35mm, and 8mm filming are shown in galleries and elsewhere, but to me these do not hold up at all. My guess is it will take 5 years or so before we can get a better look at her work. Hopefully this will be in the form of a Steidl book with a Greenberg intro and a few gallery shows with large first rate silver printing.

Old 03-03-2014   #18
Texsport

The "Finding Vivian Maier" project was funded on line through Kickstarter.com.

Donors pledged a few hundred to a few thousand dollars in support.

Return on investment depended upon donation level, but included such as a copy of the first book, a DVD copy of the film, and tickets to the film premier.

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified - 2015.

Old 03-29-2014   #19
easyrider
Photo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
worthwhile seeing this documentary…saw it last night and it was amazing seeing her photographs on the big screen in all their big neg glory!
she was certainly a character…turns out, a somewhat sad character…the last of the film was a bit depressing finding out more of her personal story.

if you get a chance to see it, please do!
Just saw it at the TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto. Totally agree that it's worth seeing. Very well done documentary.

Old 03-29-2014   #20
Walter Ulreich

hope there will be a DVD, the movie would most probably not come to Seoul ...

Old 03-29-2014   #21
dasuess
Nikon Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithp View Post
In Minneapolis, April 11 at the Lagoon Cinema...

David A. Suess
Nikon Df: 24/f2.8, 28/f3.5, 35f/2, 43-86/f3.5, 55/f3.5 Micro, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 180/f2.8, 200/f4, 300/f4.5
http://DavidSuessImages.com

Old 03-31-2014   #22
jsrockit

I saw this on Friday at the IFC theater here in NYC. Very entertaining and worth seeing.

Old 03-31-2014   #23
lueej
fiat slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I saw this on Friday at the IFC theater here in NYC. Very entertaining and worth seeing.
Caught it on saturday at the IFC while I was on spring break. would definitely recommend it.
maloof was slightly off putting for me, can't quite put my finger on it. entertaining and very enjoyable, but sometimes felt like they were shoving some points down my throat...maybe because it was quite thorough.

I wanted to see more work, but I guess that's what the shows and books are for!

Old 03-31-2014   #24
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I would like to go with my daughters to see it. Appropriate?

Old 03-31-2014   #25
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I think so. I think the heaviest stuff would be her supposed abuse of some of the children she cared for... like forcing one of them to eat by choking them... or some footage of dead sheep that she taped with her movie cam.

Old 03-31-2014   #26
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Thank you for the info!
It is going to be in my town for one day only in April, five minutes from home.

Old 03-31-2014   #27
chambrenoire

Seen the online preview, great documentary! I prefer it to the BBC one that came out last year

Old 04-02-2014   #28
taemo

Just bought the tickets online, will be watching it this friday in Encino.
Can't wait

Old 04-02-2014   #29
edge100
-

I saw it yesterday. It's fascinating.

I won't spoil it for anyone, but suffice it to say, the title is accurate.

Vivian Maier, street photographer and nanny
Old 04-02-2014   #30
jubbaa

Vivian Maier, street photographer and nanny

I sa this short 10 minute piece on youtube , it gives the back story to the discovery of the photographs , its excellent

search youtube : Vivian Maier, street photographer and nanny

James

Old 04-02-2014   #31
Bill Clark

Thanks for the recommendation.

It's playing here in Minneapolis on April 18 at the Lagoon Theater.

Just called Lagoon Theater and was informed the showing is now April 18.

I plan on seeing the film.

Old 04-02-2014   #32
NY_Dan

Saw it yesterday at IFC in NYC. It's a good documentary -- superb editing (the Achilles heel of all documentaries) -- the interviews with people who knew VM have a real quality -- well done. Learning of VM's mental issues, alluded to childhood problems (hints at her being sexually abused), how she treated one of the children in her care (very raw and disturbing), and of her impoverished last years all saddened me and will stay with me and I presume many others for quite some time. I greatly appreciated the scenes with Howard Greenberg (he's a class act), and seeing the hundreds of boxes in his storage area. I think he mentions having around 35,000 prints, more than most museums -- he really is The Caretaker. And I know everyone on RFF will like seeing the behind the scenes scenes of how VM's work is developed, printed, stored, and such. I hadn't realized VM had "150" 8mm films -- a treat is some footage with sound of her in the mid 60's. As photographers I'm sure we'll all identify with some of her kids getting annoyed during outings when VM stops to photograph things. My own family can't stand it when I stop to shoot. The childhood village in France where VM visited as a child is spectacularly beautiful. The arc of Maloof's growing up in a family that made a side biz of buying and selling storage locker contents (his comments on disposing of negatives is priceless), and his own discovery of VM's legacy, learning curve, management and care-taking of VM's work, and making the most of all opportunities related to this, and culminating in his participation/filming/marketing in this documentary and self-doubts (I don't know if this is the right word) as a response to outside criticism is in itself food for thought and fascinating -- to me at least. The documentary, while self-serving from a biz standpoint, and there's no way to avoid that, is still honest and authentic -- so he got it right. How the art world digests all this is an ongoing topic of conversation. Mary Poppins? Hardly. One former charge references the Evil Witch of the West (in appearance). References to her height, long military-like gait, with swinging arms, and preferences for man-tailored clothing are really over the top

Joel Meyerowitz describes the Rolleiflex as a camera suitable for taking discreet street photos of people because you can hold it at waist height and not need to raise it to one's eye -- now there is some truth to this, but the focus is so shallow, even at f/8, that I don't agree with his conclusions.

Old 04-02-2014   #33
dasuess
Nikon Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Thanks for the recommendation.

It's playing here in Minneapolis on April 11 at the Lagoon Theater.

I plan on seeing the film.
Would have been nice to meet you, but we're heading north to Moose Lake for a grandaughter's birthday party. And bummed to miss out on seeing film.

David A. Suess
Nikon Df: 24/f2.8, 28/f3.5, 35f/2, 43-86/f3.5, 55/f3.5 Micro, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 180/f2.8, 200/f4, 300/f4.5
http://DavidSuessImages.com

Old 04-02-2014   #34
Steve M.

Does anyone know which lens was on her camera (I am assuming it was a Rolleiflex)? I was looking at some street shots of hers on the SF Chronicle website (you have to google it, then go to it, otherwise the lousy Comical won't let you read their drivel online w/o a subscription) ans was impressed by the sharpness. Looks like Tri-X in all probability and a Tessar lens, but I was just curious.

Old 04-02-2014   #35
NY_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
Does anyone know which lens was on her camera (I am assuming it was a Rolleiflex)? I was looking at some street shots of hers on the SF Chronicle website (you have to google it, then go to it, otherwise the lousy Comical won't let you read their drivel online w/o a subscription) ans was impressed by the sharpness. Looks like Tri-X in all probability and a Tessar lens, but I was just curious.
From the official site http://www.vivianmaier.com/frequently-asked-questions/

"Vivian Maier’s first camera was a modest Kodak Brownie box camera with one shutter speed, no aperture and focus control. In 1952 she purchased her first Rolleiflex camera. Over the course of her career she used Rolleiflex 3.5T, Rolleiflex 3.5F, Rolleiflex 2.8C, Rolleiflex Automat and others. She later also used a Leica IIIc, an Ihagee Exakta, a Zeiss Contarex and various other SLR cameras."

And mostly Tri-X or Ektachrome...

There's a funny scene in the movie where Maloof visits a relative of VM's in the French town and is shown a print of VM's and VM's mother's box camera and Maloof vibrates with desire to add these items to his treasure trove -- can't blame him

Old 04-02-2014   #36
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
I think she used a rolleiflex T a lot. So yeah a tessar lens. Not that she stuck with only one camera though

Old 04-02-2014   #37
stompyq

Ahh I see Dan beat me to it

Old 04-02-2014   #38
scottgee1
RF renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreetshooter View Post
Lucky me! I get to see the screening in Canton, Ohio 7-31-14 or 8-1-14. I'm surprised this did not go to Cleveland.
Canton is cooler than Cleveland.

Old 04-02-2014   #39
burancap

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgee1 View Post
Canton is cooler than Cleveland.
As a Steelers fan: ______ is cooler than Cleveland.

OT: I have been looking forward to this very much and I hope to make one of the Asheville, NC viewings.

Old 04-02-2014   #40
easyrider
Photo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Yes. Absolutely.