Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

View Poll Results: Where do you keep your external finder?
On the camera, dummy 20 23.26%
It was somewhere in my camera bag last time I looked 11 12.79%
In a leather pouch made from kangaroo scrotum 10 11.63%
In some other kind of pouch 27 31.40%
In my pocket 2 2.33%
Elsewhere (please tell us) 16 18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

External Finders: Where does yours live?
Old 02-09-2014   #1
lawrence

Question External Finders: Where does yours live?

Where do you keep your external viewfinder?

Old 02-09-2014   #2
mdarnton

Velcro, stiff part with the hard nylon fingers stuck on the bottom of the lens' back cap. Velcro soft part stuck on top of the finder. Finder thus sticks to the back cap of the appropriate lens until it's needed--I never have to look for it.

I used to store lenses in the tops of socks cut off and the cut end sewn closed, but when I started buying Nikon stuff where it all feels the same through a sock I started using 1 qt plastic freezer bags, which are long enough to wrap around the lens once. Nice thing about freezer bags: always clean, adequate padding and protection when the loose end of the bag is rolled around the lens, and can always see which lens it is.

Another thing I do is always have a couple of two inch strips of black electrical tape stuck on my baseplate. If I'm going to leave a finder on for a while, I tape down the side of it and over onto the camera's top plate. I've been doing this for 40 years, and never lost a finder.
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 02-09-2014   #3
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Hmm. Checking poll results, there are a lot of sad kangaroos out there these days, and their girlfriends are gunning for photographers. ;-)

ahem. I usually store the ones I've got in their original boxes in a drawer marked "viewfinders, rangefinders, magnifying glasses and loupes" in my equipment cabinet. Otherwise, they're on the camera when in use. I did find a nice trim Moleskine pen case that's about the right size to pad with some camera-case foam and would fit three of them, but I've rarely carried more than one at a time.

G

Old 02-09-2014   #4
ruby.monkey

Either on the camera, or in a pouch tied to the lens with which it came.

Old 02-09-2014   #5
Richard G

First two were 25/8 and then 21. So the 21 went into a stiff Italian leather cylindrical soft zippered leather pouch I'd bought in a luxury store but had no real use for twenty years earlier. It sits on top of the lens in the bag and is good protection if dropped. It's red. The 25/8 goes in the other identical pouch in green. The order of focal lengths follows the colour spectrum so I remember which is which if they are back in my cupboard. Then the system fell apart, as the 18 finder is in a thin bright yellow microfiber drawstring bag. The SBLOO is on the shelf, as was the SBOOI until it's permanent home on the Leica II. The SVGOO and the SHOOC are in their original leather cases next to the relevant lens in the cupboard.

Old 02-09-2014   #6
leica M2 fan

I keep the five finders in the blue-velvet pouches they came in.
I have 2 other bags I made that are a little more protection but
for the most part no extra protection is needed.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 02-09-2014   #7
Livesteamer

I have several LTM lenses with finders and I have attached an old flash shoe to the rear lens cap of each one. Nikkormat flash shoes work well for this. They are attached by four small screws and are not hard to find. The finder is on the camera for use or attached to the lens it is for. Joe

Old 02-09-2014   #8
ajramirez

In their boxes in a pocket in my camera bag.

Old 02-09-2014   #9
dct

I own only one VF for the CV15/4.5. It sits normally in one of my camera bag inserts alongside the lens, when not in use.

Old 02-09-2014   #10
gb hill

When not on the Bessa L my 25/4's finder remains in the original box. My 135 finder for a Canon Serener stays in a compartment made for it in a leather Canon case I bought from David Murphy a few years ago. I have another generic finder I keep in my brief case.

Old 02-09-2014   #11
lawrence

Thanks for the replies. I need something to keep my ZI finders in but not sure what. The kangaroo pouches are on sale in Sydney airport and I thought they might be suitable but they were rather expensive and gave me a funny feeling. Seems they're more popular than I imagined.

Old 02-09-2014   #12
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livesteamer View Post
I have several LTM lenses with finders and I have attached an old flash shoe to the rear lens cap of each one. Nikkormat flash shoes work well for this. They are attached by four small screws and are not hard to find. The finder is on the camera for use or attached to the lens it is for. Joe
That is a very neat idea if you can get hold of the flash shoes.

Old 02-10-2014   #13
arseniii

Elsewhere - on my shelf, at home, collecting dust never really get to like them.

In a pouch, in a box, on a shelf...
Old 02-10-2014   #14
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

In a pouch, in a box, on a shelf...

next to the GX1 w/20mm lens (40mm equiv) sits the Voigtlander 35mm finder (round, metal). They both go out but only with each other.
With the camera's aspect ratio set at 2:3 they get along quite well.

Fuji X Pro2
Fuji X E2
Fuji X100s
Panasonic GX1 w/ 20mm F1.7
Nikon D800E

introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 02-10-2014   #15
zuiko85

My only external finder is the plastic bodied 21mm one that came with the CV 21mm f4. I have a zip up lens case for the lens and there is enough room for the finder in a velvet pouch. Not fast to unpack and mount but fairly well protected. The bulging front element of that finder sure is a magnet for fingerprints.

Old 02-10-2014   #16
kossi008
Photon Counter

I have two external finders: the metal CV 21/25 is kept in its original pouch of blue satin(-like fabric), and the plastic CV 15 mostly stays in that nice dedicated box (*) that came with my CV 15/4.5 and has that extra compartment for the finder...

(*) what do you call these things? In German, it's "Köcher", but when I ask my dictionary, it comes up with "quiver", of course, and that doesn't seem right...

Old 02-10-2014   #17
AndersG

My FSU turret finder is on my Zorki for use with 35mm or 50mm lenses (it is considerably better than the builtin finder).

Old 02-10-2014   #18
Sid836

I usually forget it at home. So, when I shoot with my Jupiter-12 on my Fed-2, I center things in the frame, focus, stop down the lens as far as I can and pray I won't be far of from the expected.

Old 02-10-2014   #19
ronnies

I only have one external finder which I made from a point and shoot camera. It stays in the lens case beside the Jupiter 12 it was made for.

Ronnie

Old 02-11-2014   #20
jamin-b

Just purchased a 21 CV LTM with VF on eBay that came with a neat CV double-decker box that houses the lens in one compartment and the VF snugly in the other. I would never have bought one but it really makes for a great worry-free solution.

Old 02-11-2014   #21
Roger Hicks

Frances makes chamois-leather pouches. The finders therefore have three homes: (1) on the cameras (2) in the pouches (3) in a drawer in the dry cabinet (NOT in the pouches).

This poll made me realize that I'm not sure how many I have. A quick calculation brings up a baker's dozen: 15 (Voigtländer) - 18 (Zeiss) - 21x3 (Voigtländer, Zeiss, Leica) - 25/28 (Zeiss) - 28/35 (Voigtländer) - 50x2 (original non-CV Voigtländer) - 90 (Voigtländer) - 35-200x2 (Tewe, http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...polyfocus.html) - turret (Soviet).

That's not counting my Linhof frame finder.

Never could understand people who don't get on with them... Mind you, I've had some of them for over 30 years.

Cheers,

R.

Old 02-12-2014   #22
raydm6

3 Leitz Bright-lines:
SBOOI (5cm) permanently on my IIIf/Summitar rig
SVGOO (9cm) & SHOOC (13.5cm) in my bag then on my M6 when the need arises.

Old 02-14-2014   #23
kermaier

Voigtlander makes (or used to, anyway) great hard lens cases with two compartments -- the lower one for the lens and the upper one for the finder.

For example, my Voigtlander 21mm Skopar with 21mm R-D1 finder:

Old 02-14-2014   #24
maddoc
... likes film.

Either on the camera when in use or in the dry-cabinet, where all optical parts (cameras, lenses) stay.

flickr
pBase

Old 02-15-2014   #25
leicapixie

an acquaintance has it! a 35mmCanon viewfinder,with adjustments for distance, all in metal,plush case.
i have his darkroom gear,Durst enlarger,tanks,etc.
Except for the dev.tank, we are both not using anything!

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140241
Old 02-15-2014   #26
leicapixie

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140241

an acquaintance has it! a 35mmCanon viewfinder,with adjustments for distance, all in metal,plush case.
i have his darkroom gear,Durst enlarger,tanks,etc.
Except for the dev.tank, we are both not using anything!

Old 02-15-2014   #27
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I have plastic (or Bakelite? not sure) boxes for the three FSU finders I own. Have two that are single focal length--35 and 85--and one turret finder. The boxes give good protection and are each different enough that I don't need to open 'em to see what's inside.
I also have the VC 21mm lens and finder and the tiny drawstring bag the finder came with.

The finders are either on a camera or on the shelf where I store most of my stuff.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

On Ebay
Old 02-17-2014   #28
vytasn

On Ebay

Mine lives on Ebay for anyone interested.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151231320730?...84.m1555.l2649

Old 02-17-2014   #29
ampguy

in a box under the guest bed.

Old 02-19-2014   #30
dblrifle

My M8 has a VC 40mm on it and the Leitz 50mm finder is easier for me to use (I wear glasses) than the viewfinder. My other M8 has a VC 21mm on it and it has the finder that came with the lense and I use the larger frame size. Both fulfill the framing /viewing needs I have perfectly. My M3 has a 50mm Summitar and wears an MR-4 meter and needs no accessory finder even if I had a place to put it.

Old 02-19-2014   #31
Katie

My 21 finder stays on a thumbs up which I trade out for the current thumbs up on the body when I use the 21.

Old 02-19-2014   #32
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Small finders I use on my Barnacks stay on the cameras. Finders for my M cameras may or may not be on the cameras, depending whether i need them at the time. I like having a proper case for finders, like the leather cases for some of my Leitz finders, or the vinyl ones for some CV finders. What I don't like is that Zeiss can't can't manage to provide any decent case at all for their high priced finders. You would think they could manage to throw in a case when you have paid hundreds for the finder.

While on this subject (or a little ways off it), why can't Leica thrown in a case for a $140 spare M8 battery?

Old 02-19-2014   #33
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Apologies to post it here. Not a M owner, yet.

Makes sense to have external VF on RF for 28mm and wider. Who needs to focus on wide like this?

But, I only have 35 and 50 lenses. Tried external VF to correct parallax on not-M cameras.
Never liked it on IIf with original one, hate it on FSU with Zeiss copy, sold Bessa L, because of it.
Just too big as the kit, for my taste. It isn't one camera, one lens any more. Must have big bag for it, to haul it around.

Still have two for now, not using it, at all, going to sell ASAP.

Happy with 35 and 50 glass and 35, 50 parallax corrected frame lines in (R)VF, plus 28 as entire VF frame, if I ever going to get 28.

Cheers.

Old 02-19-2014   #34
Scrambler

I have 3, each in a different location so I took the last option. One is in the camera case in a lens case, one in an original leather pouch, one (VIDOM) in an Ilford film canister. The Ilford canisters are slightly larger than standard and clip nicely over the front and body of the VIDOM.

Old 02-19-2014   #35
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I like having a proper case for finders, like the leather cases for some of my Leitz finders, or the vinyl ones for some CV finders. What I don't like is that Zeiss can't can't manage to provide any decent case at all for their high priced finders. You would think they could manage to throw in a case when you have paid hundreds for the finder.
Which is what prompted my question in the first place. I have two of the Zeiss finders and they are too expensive to have rolling round my camera bag getting scratched; so far I haven't found a good way of storing them.