Case Or No Case
Old 05-27-2013   #1
batey_1020

Case Or No Case

Are you using a case, half case or no case and why?
What do you like about ?

I have an Artisian&Artist brown half case on my M4. Nice soft and slim feel to it and doesn't make the camera feel bigger then what it is. Quick and easy to remove.

Leica M4, Bessa R2A, Summicron 50 and 35 f2, Tele Emirate 90 f2.8 and Elmar 5cm.f3.5
Ferrania Falco II vintage Folder

Old 05-27-2013   #2
JHP

No Case. I don't like having to remove the case everytime I need to change film.

MP, M2, 28 ELMARIT V3, 50 LUX V2, 15 VC

Old 05-27-2013   #3
Spicy

M4-P has recently received a Zhou case. Got it to spare my fingers over the winter but grew to like the extra front grip and the place to stick the film-box-top/tab. It also makes the shutter even quieter.

Old 05-27-2013   #4
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I don't like removing the case to change film, either. But if I'd starting using a case when I bought my M2 (that was back around 1960), then My M2 would probably look a lot better than it does today. And I've come to like the feel of the Leica in the Luigi half-cases I now use.

Old 05-27-2013   #5
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

My M2 spends most of its time in its original case, which has been modified so that the front part can be removed with a snap. When I'm carrying it around, the front part is usually off. I find that the original cases for the older M's work very well, and cost much less than the aftermarket half cases.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 05-27-2013   #6
batey_1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
My M2 spends most of its time in its original case, which has been modified so that the front part can be removed with a snap. When I'm carrying it around, the front part is usually off. I find that the original cases for the older M's work very well, and cost much less than the aftermarket half cases.

Cheers,
Dez
I have an original M4 case and starp that is sitting in storage. I found it to be to bulky but i have never used it. Ill hvae to go dig it out and see if it has a tripod mount on it as that would be handy when im out shooting landscape. (something the artisan&artist cases dont have)

Leica M4, Bessa R2A, Summicron 50 and 35 f2, Tele Emirate 90 f2.8 and Elmar 5cm.f3.5

Old 05-27-2013   #7
animalhairs

No case for me.

Old 05-27-2013   #8
Doug

I used to carry my Pentax Spotmatic in its half-case, figuring it would save some scratches and dings. Inconvenient for changing film though.

I didn't have a case for my M2, and never thought to look into getting one. Later, there were no cases for the Pentax 6x7 other than the rigid box type, and I don't think one was offered for the Minolta CLE either. As I stopped using the Spotmatic, I never carried cameras in fitted cases. Bags, yes...

A few years ago I did have a positive experience with a lens case. In "acquisition mode" I found a 25mm f/2.8 Zuiko for Olympus Pen F on eBay. It looked awful in the pics, dirty, dusty, but not damaged. The lining of the leather lens case for it was coming apart. I took a chance with a low bid and got it. I had been right, it just needed cleaning; the "dirt" was powdered adhesive from the leather case. The deterioration led to a bargain!

Old 05-27-2013   #9
DNG
Film Friendly

No case...

Old 05-27-2013   #10
chris7521

No case. I like to feel the camera in my hand and I want my black MP to brass uniformly not just on exposed parts.

Old 05-27-2013   #11
JHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7521 View Post
No case. I like to feel the camera in my hand and I want my black MP to brass uniformly not just on exposed parts.
This^.

Also I spent money on Aki Asahi's rear covering on my MP, and I would rather feel that in my hands than soft leather. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Old 05-27-2013   #12
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Never. Less is more.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 05-27-2013   #13
Sylvester

I don't buy solid cameras made of metal to carry them in a case, if you know what I mean...

Yes...no....
Old 05-27-2013   #14
meanstreetshooter

Post Yes...no....

Mr. Zhou half case on a mint- M6, and trying to keep it that way. I reserve this camera for 'chromes so I don't shoot it as much as the color and B&W cameras. The other cameras are uncased.

Old 05-27-2013   #15
JHP

I should say, I DO own a Zhou case, and it is nice, I just never use it.

Old 05-28-2013   #16
Roger Hicks

No case. Why add pointless bulk and slow down the operation of the camera?

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-28-2013   #17
ruby.monkey

No case for me - it makes the body feel too bulky for comfort.

Old 05-28-2013   #18
Rodchenko
Olympian

I don't like cases much. Only my Minox wears one, but that's because it doesn't live in a bag, and spends time in pockets, in a rucksack etc.

Old 05-28-2013   #19
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

No case for me but I like hand grips so each has its own.

But I have used an original Leica case once at a wedding. My thinking was formal occasion so he Leica should be dressed as well.
It was OK but never felt he need to use it again after the wedding.

Enjoy!

Adelaide, South Australia

Old 05-28-2013   #20
sleepyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
No case. Why add pointless bulk and slow down the operation of the camera?

Cheers,

R.
+1

And I agree with Semilog: "Less is more"

Old 05-29-2013   #21
Welland

No case, designers have spent a long time developing the leica look and you spoil it in one foul swoop. The same with cases for ipods/iphones whatever. It looks good, don't spoil it

Old 05-29-2013   #22
kshapero
Press the Shutter

I like a case, especially a super thin leather one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 05-29-2013   #23
batey_1020

converted to the other side today. M4 with 35 cron and a Gordy strap. I must say im enjoying it so far Although i keep getting distracted by the work of art in my hands rather then taking photos....

Old 05-29-2013   #24
anjoca76

I don't know about the whole less is more thing. Do the same people who say they wouldn't want to add bulk by using a case put hoods on their lenses? It's arguable that they both are necessary for taking better pictures--a hood: protection, flare; a case: grip, protection--and aren't just frivolous appendages. I'm playing devil's advocate.

I own two M bodies, an M2 and M6, but only one case. I sometimes alternate depending on how I feel that day. Unless I have them both out with me (which is common), in which case I tend to use it on the M6. The M2's body is just more robust and feels nicer in the hand without a case than the M6.

There are pluses and minuses to each. It's quicker to change film without one, of course, but my Zhou case is incredibly comfortable, I must say. Ultimately, I don't really have a strong preference either way.

Flickr

Old 05-31-2013   #25
philipus
ʎɐpɹəʇɥƃıɹq looɟɹəʇƃıɹq

It's a case of no case in my case, in case it is of interest.

Camera position: In general as shown in Fig. H and J, but according to requirements other positions are also possible or more practical.

Old 05-31-2013   #26
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by batey_1020 View Post
Are you using a case, half case or no case and why?
What do you like about ?

I have an Artisian&Artist brown half case on my M4. Nice soft and slim feel to it and doesn't make the camera feel bigger then what it is. Quick and easy to remove.
I have Artist & Artisan half cases for M4-2, M9 and X2. I use them for the extra grip they offer, particularly on chilly days outdoors. The M9 feels particularly slick and easy to drop when my hands are cold. The cases fit well and are trim on all three cameras. The M4-2 half case is particularly nice.

Taking the camera out of the case to change film (or battery, or get to the storage card) isn't a problem for me as I don't tend to go through film very quickly.

I have a Zhou case for the CL, but it's crude compared to the A&A cases.

G

Old 05-31-2013   #27
chathaway

Luigi half case for no other reason than I like it. So, in his case, more is more...for me anyway.

Old 06-01-2013   #28
MikeChong
oldskhool

Just an a&a strap for me. Keep it simple.

Old 06-01-2013   #29
bfffer

no case, its slow down the film loading process.

My blog

Old 06-01-2013   #30
roboflick

Yes. The hirano cases are excellent and take the weight off of the lugs.
The cAmera is cradled and protected by the case.
Nik

Old 06-01-2013   #31
Thardy

I love the way cases look, and feel, but it slows down changing film too much. And to me changing film on Leica is already a slow process.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 06-01-2013   #32
dabick42
-

I'm not inclined to go naked when I'm out and about taking photographs and neither are my cameras.
To me it's perfectly natural and sensible to have your pride and joy safely tucked into an everready case to minimise accidental damage and wear and tear.
As always though, to each his own...

In praise of cases
Old 06-01-2013   #33
Robert Lai

In praise of cases

I use half cases whenever I can. Some of the older cameras have the top of the ever ready case sewn to the bottom half, and they can't readily be separated. In the case of the Leica case for a IIIG, I used the unraveling threads as an excuse to get the case modified so that the top and bottom halves can be separated. A button snap allows closure, if desired.

Other cameras such as the Agfa Super Isolette have no strap lugs. Then, I rely upon the strap attachments to the case to hold the camera.

I can see the effects of the philosophy of no cases, no filters on some of my older gear. They came to me second hand with scratches, gouges, dents, and dirt. Yeah, you look like a real war correspondent all right, but your camera becomes a worthless piece of garbage. Plus, sweat and hand oils are acidic. That combined with the humidity under the palms leads to corrosion of metal, loss of chrome on plated parts, and wear on leather coverings.

The cameras that still look "mint" or "excellent" invariably have spent a large part of their decades of life inside a case.

"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune..."
Hamlet Act 3, Scene 1
I'd rather let the leather case take the hit, instead of the camera.

As far as this "slows down film change" idea goes - how many of you use a Leicavit, Rapidwinder or Motor winder on your camera? Is your film consumption so high that you need to change rolls several times per shooting session? I guess if you're a wedding photographer who still shoots film, there may be some justification for this.

As for me, I refill my fountain pen more frequently than I change film. When I do change film, there is no safer and handier spot to put the baseplate than inside the empty half case.

Old 06-01-2013   #34
SausalitoDog

The half case looks great...in my bag!

I just can't bother with the extra size and inconvenience of removing to change card and/or battery

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 06-01-2013   #35
baisao

Luigi half case for the M6. I initially purchased it to protect the M6 from bumps and sweat (it's hot as hell here and humid too) but it turned out that I really like the way the case feels in my hands. It is very secure and and comfortable.

I would get one for the IIIc because of the sweat issue is pretty bad, but I just haven't seen a modern option for III-series bodies.

I don't mind removing the case to change film as I am frequently using multiple camera systems at a time and I am picky about what I shoot. This means my M6 might get changed once or twice a week, just like my other cameras.
Nikon F
Olympus OM-4Ti
Canon TL-QL
some digi camera simulator

Flickr

No!
Old 06-02-2013   #36
ktmrider

No!

They used to be called "never ready cases". Enough said.

Old 06-02-2013   #37
Steve Bellayr

My cases are already worn from sweat where my hands come in contact with the case. Each person has a different PH value and hands do excrete acid. Then there is how many times I have set my camera down on a wet or greasy surface or banged the body against some object? I think that the appropriate case (for me) is a great investment in preserving my camera.

Old 06-02-2013   #38
kutting

I got an ever ready case with my MP in 2004, the top half/ lens cover broke off after about 18 months and I've used it as a half case ever since, I quite like the finger grip at the front.

I got a Luigi half-case for my M9 but found it a bit too bulky so went without, but my baseplate has taken quite a few knocks and scratches as a result.

Old 06-02-2013   #39
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness

i think you can make a case for black chrome cameras, since they don't wear down as beautifully as black paint cameras, black chrome cameras are better off in half cases anyways.

my m4-p (making the rounds) you can see the kind of dirty worn down look already and there is some wear next to the leica script on the front, but it's not brassing.

http://soyokazekaiwa.tumblr.com/
Monologue in Busan