Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Flickr. Am I the only one who likes it?
Old 05-25-2013   #1
segedi
RFicianado

Flickr. Am I the only one who likes it?

There's been a lot of discussion on the changes at Flickr and most are harsh and highly critical of them. But for me, I kinda like how my stream looks. It's a benefit to have a large number of images for others to see. I will be editing these down as now I want only my best to be shown prominently.

And to be able to go to someone else's steam and quickly get a sense of their style is very nice.

I don't mind the price increase and might just go to a free account anyway. The only thing a paid account lacks is that I not only want to hide ads, but I don't want others to see ads in my stream. This might be the thing that no one talks about that is actually worthy of criticism. I do not want ads to be shown and associated with my presence on Flickr.

But as far as the UI changes go, I'm happy about them and wish they came about sooner.

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 05-25-2013   #2
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I think it is a major upgrade and I do in fact like it a lot.

I think a lot of those who are complaining just don't like change...

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-25-2013   #3
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post

...or Flickr in any form, old or new.

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-25-2013   #4
koven

I hate it....It takes way longer to use now.

I only use flickr to store photos and look up my statistics.

Old 05-25-2013   #5
Black
Photographer.

Quote:

Yep. Thats why they're moving to iPernity. No change there then. Not a sausage.

Old 05-25-2013   #6
anjoca76

No question, I like it much better. It's far from perfect, but I find its look fresher and its functionality virtually identical insofar as they way I always used flickr. The only thing I truly dislike is the slideshow Ken Burns' style panning. I hold out hope that that will change once they get enough complaints.

Flickr

Old 05-25-2013   #7
ebolton
Number 7614

I like it. The big problem with flickr for me has always been the blinding white background, which effectively washes out all pictures on the screen. You see so little of it now, it is tolerable. Ipernity, which looks exactly like flickr used to look, has exactly the same shortcoming.

It doesn't seem to be possible anymore to examine the stats of a particular photo from the photo itself, but that is the only thing I miss from the previous version of flickr.

Old 05-25-2013   #8
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolton View Post
I like it. The big problem with flickr for me has always been the blinding white background, which effectively washes out all pictures on the screen. You see so little of it now, it is tolerable. Ipernity, which looks exactly like flickr used to look, has exactly the same shortcoming.
My photos are balanced to print with wide white borders, so they look very nice when "matted" with a white surround on screen. They look overly contrasty when matted with a black surround.

G

Old 05-25-2013   #9
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:

I don't like it because it eats up a lot of resources, it's cluttered and completely disregards a huge chunk of its user base. I don't mind change, but can't stand change just for its own sake, specially when it's take-it-or-leave-it when I am a paying customer and they just pulled a fast one on me.

Being on a flight to Vienna and ending up in Qatar is not a welcome change when you had no choice in the matter, and inconsequential to my general comfort with Change. Patronizing me into changing my acceptance of that fact by the airline company only underscores its arrogance, and others who agree with them would seem to me completely miss or choose to not understand the point as to why this is not acceptable. Some would even go further into accusing me of hating Qatar. No, the point is this is not what I paid for.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 05-25-2013   #10
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Yep. Thats why they're moving to iPernity. No change there then. Not a sausage.
Many of them have already said that while they are changing they will keep Flickr also. Sounds like they just might be willing to accept change..

I've looked at Ipernity and while it beats deviantart I still like Flickr. I am thinking about dumping deviantart for Ipernity. I'm not leaving Flickr.

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-25-2013   #11
c.poulton

It's taking me a while to get used to the new look and feel - I don't really feel that it's there yet. I certainly would like a lot more control over how my home page looks, but I imagine that this will come in time. As a first release, it's not that bad, but lets see what Yahoo do with the site over the next few months - I'll reserve my full judgement until then - this is definately 'work in progress'.....

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 05-25-2013   #12
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel M.A. View Post
I don't like it because it eats up a lot of resources.
Haven't noticed this and I am using Conky to monitor my resources.

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-25-2013   #13
thegman

I've not liked Flickr in a while, it all just seems so long-winded to me. If I wanted an online presence for my photos, I'd probably set up my own on my own server, or maybe Amazon S3. It's not just the privacy/BS stuff you have to put up with, but just the plain simplicity to do what you want when you're running it yourself.

Old 05-25-2013   #14
bosjohn

now that I am getting used to it I am liking it just fine. What I really miss though is the ability to delete images right from the thumbnai which saves a lot of time when removing lots of images, I am hopeing they will add delete as a choice when right clicking or clicking and holding on the thumb image

Old 05-25-2013   #15
ebolton
Number 7614

bosjohn, you can still do that. On your photostream page, select the edit tab. That brings up an approximation of the former flickr look, and the ability to delete from the thumbnail.

Old 05-25-2013   #16
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:

It doesn't seem to be possible anymore to examine the stats of a particular photo from the photo itself, but that is the only thing I miss from the previous version of flickr.
There was an option for this. Now the option is gone. Lack of the option to do the opposite now *is* a shortcoming.

Starbucks sells decaf. That you have to point this out as an option is not a shortcoming. Buying espresso and only getting decaf Americano (and shame on you for complaining) is a shortcoming. Unless Starbucks has decided it's no longer interested in getting caffeine drinkers' business.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.

Old 05-25-2013   #17
back alley
IMAGES

i don't hate the changes...i do really dislike the 'justified' format of the opening page though and would like to have a choice about that.

Old 05-25-2013   #18
Sparrow

Quote:
Many of them have already said that while they are changing they will keep Flickr also. Sounds like they just might be willing to accept change..

I've looked at Ipernity and while it beats deviantart I still like Flickr. I am thinking about dumping deviantart for Ipernity. I'm not leaving Flickr.
... only to preserve historic links in my case

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-25-2013   #19
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i don't hate the changes...i do really dislike the 'justified' format of the opening page though and would like to have a choice about that.
I won't be surprised to see this in the future. As we say in the open source/Linux world it is still in beta..

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-25-2013   #20
rolfe

IMHO, the old format was so bad that almost anything would have been an improvement. One thing I've noticed is that, as far as I can manage, once you click on a photo to bring it up solo, there is no button to go back to the preceding screen and pick up where you left off. Escape key doesn't work either. Is this just me? Hard to believe that Yahoo would overlook such a basic navigation task.

Old 05-25-2013   #21
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
I won't be surprised to see this in the future. As we say in the open source/Linux world it is still in beta..
this is my thinking/hope as well...

Old 05-25-2013   #22
ebolton
Number 7614

If you are looking thru your contacts photos and you click on one to look at it solo, clicking the flicr logo on the top left will bring you back up to the top of your home page. The back button on the browser brings me to where I left off scrolling down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
IMHO, the old format was so bad that almost anything would have been an improvement. One thing I've noticed is that, as far as I can manage, once you click on a photo to bring it up solo, there is no button to go back to the preceding screen and pick up where you left off. Escape key doesn't work either. Is this just me? Hard to believe that Yahoo would overlook such a basic navigation task.

Old 05-25-2013   #23
Noll

At the very least, lifting the 200 image limit for free accounts will be a boon for images posted here. How many thousands of blank image posts lie in the archive because someone ran into #200 and had to make some space?

Old 05-25-2013   #24
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Haven't noticed this and I am using Conky to monitor my resources.
That seems to be part of the problem: people that complain about this get dismissed because they don't experience it. Reminds me of the Canon 10D autofocusing issues: those who experienced it were thought of being silly at best, until a certain critical mass was reached that finally got Canon to consider looking into it and eventually admit there was an issue.

The vast numbers of us who experience this are getting the "not happening to me" wave. A tech-based company should do better than ignore the fact that if lots of customers are experiencing an issue, one cannot dismiss it.

Old 05-25-2013   #25
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
It is clear they just rammed this through. There was evidence of beta testers complaining in big numbers before this went live, and their concerns were swiftly ignored. A poorly implemented and hastily developed cool idea is always a ticking turd bomb.

Old 05-25-2013   #26
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

Downright love it. It is almost perfect for what I need. I like the new look and UI and I feel much more immersed in why contacts and groups as well. Slick is the word. It basically has become my cloud solution now, I upload everything so be able to access it anywhere.

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 05-25-2013   #27
rolfe

Quote:
If you are looking thru your contacts photos and you click on one to look at it solo, clicking the flicr logo on the top left will bring you back up to the top of your home page. The back button on the browser brings me to where I left off scrolling down.
But doesn't good website design dictate that the designer shouldn't depend on the back button for navigation? In particular, when a site has different "modes" as flickr now does, there should be a way to quickly get back out of the "mode" you've just switched to.

Rolfe

Old 05-25-2013   #28
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Actually you can. In the top tool bar click "you" and scroll down to stats. If you haven't activated it yet it may take awhile to see your stats.

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-25-2013   #29
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel M.A. View Post
It is clear they just rammed this through. There was evidence of beta testers complaining in big numbers before this went live, and their concerns were swiftly ignored. A poorly implemented and hastily developed cool idea is always a ticking turd bomb.
Links please.........

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-25-2013   #30
ebolton
Number 7614

I don't know about the goodness of it from a web site design point of view, but it is obvious to me as a user and it works, and I think that is what really matters. Elegance in any design should never defeat obvious useability.

They have made some things decidedly non-obvious. They buried flickr mail behind your personal icon, for one. I wonder if they are trying to get rid of some features by attrition: make them difficult to find so people don't use them, then kill them because people don't use them.

Quote:
But doesn't good website design dictate that the designer shouldn't depend on the back button for navigation? In particular, when a site has different "modes" as flickr now does, there should be a way to quickly get back out of the "mode" you've just switched to.

Rolfe

Old 05-25-2013   #31
ebolton
Number 7614

Just tried it. It gives the stats for the whole account. You used to be able to quickly get to the stats for an individual picture (without everything else), and that is what I am missing.

Quote:
Actually you can. In the top tool bar click "you" and scroll down to stats. If you haven't activated it yet it may take awhile to see your stats.

Old 05-25-2013   #32
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by segedi View Post
There's been a lot of discussion on the changes at Flickr and most are harsh and highly critical of them. But for me, I kinda like how my stream looks. It's a benefit to have a large number of images for others to see. I will be editing these down as now I want only my best to be shown prominently.

And to be able to go to someone else's steam and quickly get a sense of their style is very nice.

I don't mind the price increase and might just go to a free account anyway. The only thing a paid account lacks is that I not only want to hide ads, but I don't want others to see ads in my stream. This might be the thing that no one talks about that is actually worthy of criticism. I do not want ads to be shown and associated with my presence on Flickr.

But as far as the UI changes go, I'm happy about them and wish they came about sooner.
No, there is you and another two or three ... almost certainly fewer than those it gave a migraine

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-25-2013   #33
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Links please.........
http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-...7633588975421/

Like I said, there was evidence. Flickr staff quickly redirected or made test groups inaccessible.

Old 05-25-2013   #34
user237428934
User deletion pending

The new design with endless scrolling is really great. Don't like the frontpage so much, but I skip it anyway with a link that goes directly to the old page of the summary of your contacts photos.

Saves me a lot of time to look through photos because I don't have to skip through endless pages. The size of the photos is much better. Now I can better decide if it's worth to look at a particular photo in detail.

Old 05-25-2013   #35
segedi
RFicianado

Quote:
Just tried it. It gives the stats for the whole account. You used to be able to quickly get to the stats for an individual picture (without everything else), and that is what I am missing.
Can't you click the link that says all photos and videos and see the stats? It defaults to current day but then you click the all time link and it shows everything. No?

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 05-25-2013   #36
segedi
RFicianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
No, there is you and another two or three ... almost certainly fewer than those it gave a migraine
ha!

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 05-25-2013   #37
andersju

Among some other groups I follow the feeling is the opposite - "am I the only one who doesn't like the new Flickr?".

I think it's a great upgrade. Makes me want to start using Flickr actively again.

Here's another take on it: http://danwin.com/2013/05/flickr-red...worth-sharing/

Old 05-25-2013   #38
ebolton
Number 7614

It does, and from the current day stats you can click on any picture and see the stats on that picture. All that is unchanged. But in the old flickr, you used to be able from the single photo view to get right to the stats for that particular picture. It was less clicks and scrolling than it takes to get to that point now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by segedi View Post
Can't you click the link that says all photos and videos and see the stats? It defaults to current day but then you click the all time link and it shows everything. No?

Old 05-25-2013   #39
segedi
RFicianado

Ah, I see now. Never used stats in that manner. For me, more work to get to the individual photo to see it's stats, especially for older photos, than using the stats as they are now. Can't see why view, comment count and favorites can't be added to the bar underneath the photo and maybe they will implement that or a stats link under the ... menu.

Quote:
It does, and from the current day stats you can click on any picture and see the stats on that picture. All that is unchanged. But in the old flickr, you used to be able from the single photo view to get right to the stats for that particular picture. It was less clicks and scrolling than it takes to get to that point now.

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 05-25-2013   #40
segedi
RFicianado

Thanks for the link!

Key takeaways for me,

'But I’m already more interested in my network than I’ve ever been.'

'my first thought when looking through my set of favorites after the redesign wasn’t, “These photos look nice,” but: “Wow, I don’t even remember taking some of these photos.”'

Which mirrors my experience.

That and I think they did a good job on platform independence/responsive design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersju View Post
Among some other groups I follow the feeling is the opposite - "am I the only one who doesn't like the new Flickr?".

I think it's a great upgrade. Makes me want to start using Flickr actively again.

Here's another take on it: http://danwin.com/2013/05/flickr-red...worth-sharing/

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter